Menu

Ice storm coming: Would you leave ahead of it?

We are expecting an ice storm tomorrow, after snow tonight. Now, how do I plan for the worst?

I want us all (including the dog) to jump in the car and head south. DH is not so adventuresome. He'd rather wait until we have no power for days on end, have shivered our timbers off, can't drive on ice-slick roads, and all available lodging is either full or down for the count, before he takes action.

He's thinking we need flashlight batteries in case the power goes out for days or weeks. I'm thinking we need to find a way to keep warm, and what better way to do that than to head south?

We have a dog who will go with us. All of our relatives and most of our friends live in the South, so finding a place to stay will be easy.

Would you leave ahead of the storm?

RC

Yes, but look where I live, the first sign of fire, I pack up and head towards the beach. We always have the RV ready.

I wish we had a generator, because it seems w/the slightest rainstorm, we are first one out of power. Again thank God for the RV.

Ice storms are part of life in New England. We never worry too much about them. *Cindy shrugs*

Well, I'm from the South and I hate being cold. I can think of nothing worse, from a daily life happenings stance. The only ice storm I've ever lived through was in Atlanta, though, and we were without power in an all-electric apartment for a week. I do not like being cold ... ever ... at all.

I do think that only a complete [fill in the blank] would buy a house up here that did not have an independent heat source -- such as a fireplace or wood stove. Of course, I'm thinking that much too late. :001_smile:

Well, I'm from the South and I hate being cold. I can think of nothing worse, from a daily life happenings stance. The only ice storm I've ever lived through was in Atlanta, though, and we were without power in an all-electric apartment for a week. I do not like being cold ... ever ... at all.

I do think that only a complete [fill in the blank] would buy a house up here that did not have an independent heat source -- such as a fireplace or wood stove. Of course, I'm thinking that much too late. :001_smile:

For starters turn off the news. They make such a big deal about a little snow and ice that it is impossible to know whether a storm is really worth worring about. ;)

You aren't that far north of me, nor are you far from civilization. I don't think there is any reason to panic. Have a few candles, and a few extra blankets if you are worried. Most likely it will just be a day to stay off the roads. In fact it is supposed to be above freezing here which will just mean rain.

You will be okay :grouphug:

For starters turn off the news. You will be okay :grouphug:

The tube isn't on. DH called from the racquetball club, where the buzz originated. I did think that hyperbole might be the deal of the day, except that if this storm is moving north, DH had customers who are iced-in in PA call him about their storm today. He said something about OH and KY, too, but that may have been to persuade me that if we leave, we will be headed into an ice-band which prevents us from getting to Disney World or Texas.

I just don't want to get cold. I know, I'm getting tedious with this refrain.

RC

When an ice storm is coming we always (1) fill up and test run the generator, (2) stock up on library books, and (3) make sure we have milk and produce.

Our power goes out a lot though, usually 3-4 times a year for at least 8 hours and other times for less. We're just plain in a bad area though, and any major wind will do that -- not just ice. The longest we've ever been out for ice was 20 hours, so most people just hang tight around here.

So far no ice at our house, just rain. Maybe tonight?

I'd ride it out, but we have two woodstoves that we could heat with if we had to. But I really don't like being without electricity. And there are too many animals just to pack up and leave, not to mention the cattle needing extra food when this happens.

Oh heck, no. If I were in your situation, I'd have planned for this long ago -- as you undoubtedly have.

If we had a fireplace or a wood stove, I'd be all set.

you can always come on over here! We have a generator that runs just about everything. The last ice storm (3 or 4 weeks ago), we lost power for 1 week. We have a woodstove, a pellet stove, the generator runs the oil furnace. it just doesn't run our oven. so, I cook in the crock pot, on the electric skillet and on the woodstove...

I really think because of Decembers ice storm they are really hyping this one. I doubt it will be much of anything. The last serious ice storm here was in 1998.

I'm just hoping that DH gets home before it hits. He is somewhere in the air right now, and expected to land about 12:30 am or so.

stay warm!

that may have been to persuade me that if we leave, we will be headed into an ice-band which prevents us from getting to Disney World or Texas.

I think you're already surrounded. Take a look at the current surface map at weather.com.

When an ice storm is coming we always (1) fill up and test run the generator....

We have enough food, no generator, lots of books and plenty of batteries for camping lanterns and flashlights, plus candles.

DH pointed out that we hardly ever lose power, and then the longest has been for about 6 hours or so, and we slept through it.

Shoot. I want to go on an adventure. The horror stories of people in Lunenburg, MA, being without power for 12 days are sticking in my mind. If that happens to us, we aren't going to a shelter because they won't let us bring the dog. I'll stay with the dog, and DH and the kids can go. Maybe I can persuade the dog to go to Disney World or Texas with me. (I'm steering clear of Atlanta because I've already been in an an ice-storm there.)

My motto: Hope for the best, plan for the worst.

RC

Edited by RoughCollie

Yk, the thing is...weather really does bite. But then, hurricanes, wild fires, earthquakes, and spewing volcanoes all bite.

(Is SWB checking our lovely vocab choices, I wonder?) lol

But for real, weather carpola bites.

Make sure you have batteries. Make sure you have books, and blankets. Next year, if you plan to stay, invest in down.

You won't lose all the food because you can set it outside.

Weather is icky and that's that.

The power companies do their best to turn everything back on as soon as they possibly can.

Edited by LibraryLover

you can always come on over here!

That sounds like fun! Can I bring the dog? :D [Yes, I care about my kids, too. Much more, in fact. I'm worried about the dog because a shelter won't take him.]

The snow is supposed to start around midnight, I think -- the ice isn't until morning. So your DH should be fine.

At the very least, I hope we have a snow day.

RC

Yk, the thing is...weather really does bite. But then, hurricanes, wild fires, earthquakes, and spewing volcanoes all bite.

One of the things I like best about New England is that we don't regularly have earthquakes, wild fires, and tornadoes and hurricanes are a big problem only at the coast.

If you think about it, we've got it pretty good, compared to a lot of people. I'd rather live in a place with long, cold winters than in a place that had frequent tornadoes or earthquakes.

not sure what part of the south you're heading. We had ice and no power (brrr) most of yesterday. My mom in AL and mil in GA both had tornado warnings today.

Before DH put the kibosh on the idea a little while ago, I was planning to head to either Louisville, Atlanta, Jacksonville, or San Angelo, TX.

One of the things I like best about New England is that we don't regularly have earthquakes, wild fires, and tornadoes and hurricanes are a big problem only at the coast.

If you think about it, we've got it pretty good, compared to a lot of people. I'd rather live in a place with long, cold winters than in a place that had frequent tornadoes or earthquakes.

I used to live in S CA, and I would prefer their little frequent quakes to the all our dang winter snow.

However. I would take frequent snow over The Big One.

But. FTR. I am planning to move to the very non- cultural, very Wal-Mart-y, very warm, central FL, where there are no quakes, rare hurricanes, no snow, rare ice, and the very rare & occasional 35 degrees.

LOL

But. FTR. I am planning to move to the very non- cultural, very Wal-Mart-y, very warm, central FL, where there are no quakes, rare hurricanes, no snow, rare ice, and the very rare & occasional 35 degrees. LOL

I used to live in Hollywood, FL. I missed the hills and trees terribly, so I moved back to GA. I liked the warm weather, though. And the warm water. I was shocked, when I moved to here, to discover that the ocean is so cold. I had no idea. I have since discovered the Gulf Stream waters at the Cape, which is bearable.

Edited by RoughCollie

You mean the one with all the L's on it?

Yes, the pink area that stretches all the way across most of Pennsylvania, across New York State from Buffalo to Westchester County, across northern New Jersey, covering most of Connecticut is a mix of rain, ice, and snow. New England looks boxed in.

You could always make a big loop up and around through Canada. Or head south by boat!

as our area has recently had a major shut-down due to ice storms (we were without power for nine or ten days) I recommend getting prepared NOW. Locating a generator during a crisis is a nightmare. Even if it's a financial stretch, I highly recommend investing in a generator. Don't forget any cords and plugs you may need. Everything you need is most likely NOT in the box. And finding these parts when everyone else needs them also is rough. At least one carbon monoxide detector per floor is a must. Finding five gallon gas cans for fueling the generator was also difficult.

Also, get yourself some oil lamps, and a few bottles of oil. And batteries for flashlights. Believe it or not, it was difficult even getting c or D cells here. Make sure to have several five gallon jugs of water, and needed prescription drugs on hand. We had to ditch everything in the frig/freezer~ non-perishables are a good thing. :001_smile: If you do get stuck, emergency shelters will be available. Our church became a shelter (the Red Cross used our facility) and the National Guard performed welfare checks. Overall, despite some people ripping off generators, most folks looked out for neighbors and a lot of love and compassion was shown. Praise to God!

This ice storm seems to be very minor. So this gives you time to prepare!

Living in New England does have it's challenges. But when the sun glistens on the snow draping the pines.... sigh, I'm hooked.

Take care,

Cindy

I grew up in Nebraska, and we had your blizzards and whatnot. Here in OK we have ICE storms and these people are so not prepared for anything like that. Last year our power was out for about a week. That sucked. Fortunately we had a wood burning stove.

Whenever there is "severe weather" around here, the TV goes over and above what, in my opinion, should be reported. I get the "be prepared" ideology behind it - look at Picher; it is gone now due to a tornado. 5/3/99 - total devastation in NE Oklahoma. So, I think every region has their issues. I would much rather be in a tornado than an earthquake - I've been in both situations!

Ride it out - it probably won't be as bad as they are saying. And if it is, you'll have a fabulous story to tell your grandkids!

For starters turn off the news. They make such a big deal about a little snow and ice that it is impossible to know whether a storm is really worth worring about. ;)

I know nothing about ice-storms.

But here in Southern California every time we're in for an eight of an inch of rain the news stations breaks out the heavy music and the dramatic graphics and announce: STORM WATCH!!!.

While it's sprinkling outside, they track every movement with their Mega-Doppler 7000s :D

But here in Southern California every time we're in for an eight of an inch of rain the news stations breaks out the heavy music and the dramatic graphics and announce: STORM WATCH!!!.

While it's sprinkling outside, they track every movement with their Mega-Doppler 7000s :D

What about the major Mud Slides and oh , dont forget your sandbags, fill them at the firestation.

Too bad they dont have fixes for leaky roofs:glare:

Even then it is rarely more than a good rainstorm with a little wind. We don't get hurricanes like the Gulf Coast does.

:lol::lol::lol:

See what I mean???

the only ice storm we have lost power with was when I had a week old infant, no fireplace, no generator, and no wood stove. It was not a pleasant experience to live with my neighbors, that I didnt even know, for a week.

If there were an ice storm headed here, I would likely drive somewhere with the kids. If I couldn't get anywhere to see people I knew well, I would head over to 3lilreds house, because I've been invited if we ever lose power again! :)

the only ice storm we have lost power with was when I had a week old infant, no fireplace, no generator, and no wood stove. It was not a pleasant experience to live with my neighbors, that I didnt even know, for a week.

If there were an ice storm headed here, I would likely drive somewhere with the kids. If I couldn't get anywhere to see people I knew well, I would head over to 3lilreds house, because I've been invited if we ever lose power again! :)

Do you get ice storms in NC?

Just getting back to this thread...We got some snow and sleet, and DH worked from home instead of driving through it..And, if you ever do come here, your dog is totally welcome as long as it can get along with very very lovable but very excitable Golden retriever and a Springer Spaniel.....Our cats can always hid in the basement!

FWIW, that is how I feel about going to a shelter too...I don't want to leave my pets.....although, the idea of staying at a shelter is also not a pleasant one!

I'm glad you didn't lose power!

Jenny