Menu

Inkheart

I thought I'd get the book to read to the kids before the movie comes out later this month, but the line at the library is 30 people long! So I put it on hold at the local Borders (where I'll be tomorrow night anyway with a group of moms). I guess I wasn't the only one who thought of that.

I don't think Inkheart has really caught on here yet. I was able to get it at my library which... is rather small and always busy. We like it so much we ended up buying it and Inkspell too... now we have to get Inkdeath. (My library had neither) I'm really enjoying them. I'm not sure I'm looking forward to the movie or not. I've been so disappointed in movies lately...

I'm not sure I'm looking forward to the movie or not. I've been so disappointed in movies lately...

These books are under my daughter's "special protection." In other words, she loves them so much that she loses her mind at the thought of anyone messing with them.

She adamantly refuses to see the film, based on the previews.

I have huge hopes for this movie. Brenden Frasier reads the audio versions of the books (his voice is magical!!!) and he's also (I believe) a friend to the author of the books. So, knowing that he has a genuine affection for these books and the author herself - gives me hope that they won't screw it up too much! lol (I love the casting - except for the Farid character - I'll have to wait and see if he fits the bill... lol)

Inkheart/Inkspell/Inkdeath is probably my very favorite children's book series. I absolutely adore them - they read like a "new" old-time fairytale. :001_smile:

Dh and I are going to see it when it opens. My kids haven't read the books yet, so we'll buy it when it comes out to DVD for them to see after they have read the books. :) I don't know if they can possibly mess up a book/movie more than the awful Anne of Green Gables sequels or Eragon. I hope not, at least. :/

Did you guys know that the author's husband of 24 years died (cancer) before she completed Inkdeath? Her dedication to him in Inkdeath made me bawl like a baby. :( It made me read Inkdeath in a very different way too - thinking of it from her point of view while dealing with her husband's illness and death...

http://www.corneliafunke.de/en/news/news-49.html

Edited by orangearrow

Ooh, there's a movie coming out? Excellent. My 7 year old is reading it now. She'll be thrilled to find there's a movie. She likes to see how the films are different from her experience of the book. :001_smile:

I think it opens Jan 25 or 26. Something like that.

I agree but must say the last installment was so difficult to get through for me. Did you dd love that one as well? The last 1/3 of the book was fine but it seemed to take so long to get there! I think the title was Ink Death. See, it was so hard to get through that I've forgotten the title! :o

• 2 weeks later...

I thought my three older dc would be interested in seeing the movie because they enjoyed the series, but their reaction completely surprised me. When they found out Brendan Fraser was in it, they said it was SOO wrong and that he would not do a good job portraying him.

They said Mo was a sweet, gentle, caring, and loving father, but Brendan plays characters that are sarcastic, adventurous, and vine-swinging. Mo doesn't even know how to use a sword. He's a sweet, bookish father-figure, and Brendan doesn't even have black hair so how could he play the bluejay?

I just had to laugh. I guess his Mummy movies are going to stick in their minds.

Well, I'm not sure which installments Fraser reads, but we downloaded Inkheart from Audible.com, and it is read by Lynn Redgrave.

Very weird! Our edition was read by Brendan Fraser as well! I wonder if I still have it around here somewhere. I didn't care for Inkheart (I really don't know if it's the translator I couldn't stand or the book itself -- the near constant use of simile made me cringe), so I may have given it away...

These books are under my daughter's "special protection." In other words, she loves them so much that she loses her mind at the thought of anyone messing with them.

She adamantly refuses to see the film, based on the previews.

Oh I love your daughter! I have many books I refuse to see the movie....I like the "special protection" attitude!

Very weird! Our edition was read by Brendan Fraser as well! I wonder if I still have it around here somewhere. I didn't care for Inkheart (I really don't know if it's the translator I couldn't stand or the book itself -- the near constant use of simile made me cringe), so I may have given it away...

Personally, I got pretty tired of the word "supercillious." I do like the story and the characters, though.

I looked at the B&N website, and it looks like the audio for the second book, Inkspell, was read by Brendan Fraser. Lynn Redgrave read the first one, and the third is read by somebody named Allan Courduner.

Edited to add: I didn't recognize Courduner's name, but apparently he has done voice work for a few of the Harry Potter films and lots of film work in England. He also played Tubal in the 2004 Merchant of Venice film.

Edited by Jenny in Florida

... the audio for the second book, Inkspell, was read by Brendan Fraser. Lynn Redgrave read the first one...

Now I'm just confused. ;) Maybe I remember him from the sample chapter for the next book? I know it was Inkheart and not Inkspell that we had. (I never made it to Inkspell...)

I'm tempted to go see if I can find it around here somewhere to satisfy my curiosity...