Menu

What to do when you need to provide professional references for a job/volunteerism?

Well, blah! It's frustrating indeed that when one's job is "homemaker/mother/teacher", we have nothing to provide society to "prove" our value in the market. I realize now how my mother felt when I, her youngest child, was a teen and she applied for several jobs after having been a homemaker for years. She has a degree and worked as a translator pre-marriage/kids, which was relevant to the position she was seeking. But...she was "old" (upper 40s) and hadn't been working in the market and she ended up having to work as a housecleaner. Yippee.

Okay, that was a rambling aside. I'm not looking for a job, but I would like to be on the board of the natural foods cooperative . This is a volunteer position, but it's a significant organization financially and within the community and they justifiably do a good bit of "vetting". Those interested submit an application, the board reviews said applications and puts forth three potential candidates, one or two of whom are elected by cooperative membership.

I first considered this position a few years ago (and ran that by you, my board-mates), but the timing wasn't right. Last year I considered it again and missed the application deadline. This year, a couple of people suggested I run so I picked up the application and reviewed it in earnest. I probably won't run this year just because the deadline is almost upon me, but I'd definitely like to do so in the next year or two. But, sheesh! The application is daunting! I'm totally intimidated by it, one reason being they require three "professional references".

Well, okay. I've spent the last 14 years birthing babies, mothering children, cooking, cleaning, teaching, etc ~ not to mention helping run a business and transition into the organics industry. My outside activities have been very limited. My church is small and doesn't offer opportunities for being on committees, etc. Any volunteerism I've done has been small things here and there, certainly nothing that has connected me with anyone deeply enough such that they could be called upon for a reference.

What does one do in this sort of situation? I feel like I'm relegated to spending the rest of my life here at home, unable to break into even serving on a board because I've not been "out there". Can anyone offer some advice? Thank you!

Edited by Colleen

But...

One way to provide yourself with professional references is to do other volunteer work within your community, even for organizations that your kids are involved in.

For instance, I volutarily serve as our church secretary, and would receive a nice professional recommendation should I need one.

I also spent some years involved in Scouting, and would be able to call upon one of the professionals within the Scouting organization for a reference.

I was also involved in the youth football league in our town, and though my role was fairly minor, the head of the league would be able to attest to some of my skills that might be of worth in a professional setting: organization, personnel management & interpersonal skills, etc.

Can you think of some things like that that you've been involved with?

Well, okay. I've spent the last 14 years birthing babies, mothering children, cooking, cleaning, teaching, etc ~ not to mention helping run a business and transition into the organics industry.

I don't see why you couldn't use customers who buy your milk as professional references. They may not know you personally, but if they know you as an owner of the business they buy from, they should be willing to give you a positive nod. Even if your husband is their main point of contact, you are still an owner. I'm sure they'd have no trouble addressing complaints to you if you're husband wasn't available, ;) so you should feel comfortable asking them for a short positive letter of recommendation.

I would think given you are involved in the organic dairy market, you'd be seen in a very positive light for the position you describe.

I don't see why you couldn't use customers who buy your milk as professional references. They may not know you personally, but if they know you as an owner of the business they buy from, they should be willing to give you a positive nod. Even if your husband is their main point of contact, you are still an owner.

Yes, that might work if we processed and marketed our own milk, but that's not the case. So as far as business goes, we don't have direct relationships with our suppliers and consumers. Thanks for your reply, though.:)

But...

One way to provide yourself with professional references is to do other volunteer work within your community, even for organizations that your kids are involved in.

For instance, I volutarily serve as our church secretary, and would receive a nice professional recommendation should I need one.

I also spent some years involved in Scouting, and would be able to call upon one of the professionals within the Scouting organization for a reference.

I was also involved in the youth football league in our town, and though my role was fairly minor, the head of the league would be able to attest to some of my skills that might be of worth in a professional setting: organization, personnel management & interpersonal skills, etc.

Can you think of some things like that that you've been involved with?

No, I can't. Which is why I feel like a real loser.:o For the most part, the options haven't even existed. Or those that have existed weren't possible for me for many years. When I take into consideration all the months in the past 13 or so years that I was either dealing with difficult pregnancies, recovering from surgery, or caring for babies, there hasn't been room for much else save for homeschooling and helping with the financial/secretarial side of the business.

What does one do in this sort of situation? I feel like I'm relegated to spending the rest of my life here at home, unable to break into even serving on a board because I've not been "out there". Can anyone offer some advice? Thank you!

I have been a volunteer coordinator for a non-profit business for years.

Young people who volunteer here regularly ask me to provide refs for them. Even if the job for which they are applying has little or nothing to do with the work they performed here, I can write a reference.

A professional reference speaks to your reliability, attitude, helpfulness, ability to deal with varying personalities, etc. It's not necessarily a reference recommending you because of industry/area specific skills.

If you have volunteered anywhere - and I mean anywhere, any time - ask the organization to supply a reference. Preferably go straight to the person who was immediately "above" you or has closely worked with you so that your reference comes from someone who knew you well and could really evaluate you instead of a more remote supervisor / president who just verified from someone else that they know you and that you did some work there.

Those people who are deeply involved in high caliber jobs may not consider applying for this board position you would like to occupy because they are swamped with other work responsibilities. The food coop may well receive applications from people who have the time (read: are not full-time employed elsewhere) to devote their energy to this board position and you can easily compete on that level.

Edited by Liz CA

A professional reference speaks to your reliability, attitude, helpfulness, ability to deal with varying personalities, etc. It's not necessarily a reference recommending you because of industry/area specific skills.

Yes, I get that.

If you have volunteered anywhere - and I mean anywhere, any time - ask the organization to supply a reference. Preferably go straight to the person who was immediately "above" you or has closely worked with you so that your reference comes from someone who knew you well and could really evaluate you instead of a more remote supervisor / president who just verified from someone else that they know you and that you did some work there.

I don't have any possibilities like this before me. My volunteering for much of time I've had children has consisted of things like visiting people at the Christian Health Care Center (which involves no contact with anyone other than the residents), or gathering (on our own) and donating items to shelters ~ things that don't directly involve other people. Even the soup kitchen I sometimes served lunch at years ago isn't a possibility. Anyone can show up, put on an apron, and help serve. I don't remember the names of people involved there and I'm sure they don't remember mine.

Those people who are deeply involved in high caliber jobs may not consider applying for this board position you would like to occupy because they are swamped with other work responsibilities. The food coop may well receive applications from people who have the time (read: are not full-time employed elsewhere) to devote their energy to this board position and you can easily compete on that level.

No, that's not the case with this board. One member is a practicing attorney; another a full-time accountant; another owns a successful book store...There are a couple of others who are more in the farming sector. One guy directly markets his produce and is quite a bit older, too, so I imagine he's just been more involved in the community that I have been.

Maybe I just need to back-burner all this. Or go right to the board and tell them that I'm interested but at a loss as to sources for these references.:confused:

Write your own reference. Write it sincerely and utilize the respective duties and responsibilities. People on the board will respect your position on the farm, because that is who they work with, farmers, small companies and local consumers. Can you provide a reference for you farm? I know you have mentioned that you provide milk to reputable sources, like OV. Outline your commitments to OV and to the other companies who rely on you for milk. Bring to light your emphasis on quality, health and consistency.

Do you have anyone on the board or affiliated that can write you a personal letter of reference? Someone they will respect a personal reference from?

Even if you don't have 3 letters I would still apply and see if they call you. Sometimes the details of an applicant aren't as important as what they can bring to the business.

If you don't get a call, then try again next year. Are there public meetings? Start campaigning for next year. If there are meetings, then start going even if you aren't allowed to say anything. At the end of the meetings shake hands, address people by name (especially so you can say yours), and start forming a relationship with the powers that be so next year, they know your name when it comes across their desk. Show up, be consistent and offer quality comments. Make them want you more than you want them :D

What about:

Your attorney, business or personal.

Your business accountant and/or tax accountant.

Your business' relationship banker or the bank branch manager where your business has its accounts.

As Tap, tap, tap suggested, someone impressive for a personal reference.

What about:

Your attorney, business or personal.

Your business accountant and/or tax accountant.

Your business' relationship banker or the bank branch manager where your business has its accounts.

As Tap, tap, tap suggested, someone impressive for a personal reference.

Absolutely. Your pastor, even, is a great reference if it comes to that. Someone who can speak to your character.

I could swear, in writing, that I've been your imaginary friend for five years. Would that help? ;)

Yes, that might work if we processed and marketed our own milk, but that's not the case. So as far as business goes, we don't have direct relationships with our suppliers and consumers. Thanks for your reply, though.:)

What about the business/organization that you work with that sells/markets your milk? (Sorry, I can't remember the name of it right now, but I recall reading about it in the past.) Do you have any contacts there that would be able to give a reference?

What do they have in mind?

Do they want you to show that you make commitments and then keep them? That you work in a professional manner instead of getting all emotional or childish? That you have professional connnections?

Sometimes board members are expected to do a fair amount of rainmaking--i.e. bringing in donations or business. They may really be asking how strong and broad your personal/professional network is for that purpose.

Once you figure out what they have in mind, maybe you can figure out what would convey the same information in a different way.

Well, blah! It's frustrating indeed that when one's job is "homemaker/mother/teacher", we have nothing to provide society to "prove" our value in the market. I realize now how my mother felt when I, her youngest child, was a teen and she applied for several jobs after having been a homemaker for years. She has a degree and worked as a translator pre-marriage/kids, which was relevant to the position she was seeking. But...she was "old" (upper 40s) and hadn't been working in the market and she ended up having to work as a housecleaner. Yippee.

Okay, that was a rambling aside. I'm not looking for a job, but I would like to be on the board of the natural foods cooperative . This is a volunteer position, but it's a significant organization financially and within the community and they justifiably do a good bit of "vetting". Those interested submit an application, the board reviews said applications and puts forth three potential candidates, one or two of whom are elected by cooperative membership.

I first considered this position a few years ago (and ran that by you, my board-mates), but the timing wasn't right. Last year I considered it again and missed the application deadline. This year, a couple of people suggested I run so I picked up the application and reviewed it in earnest. I probably won't run this year just because the deadline is almost upon me, but I'd definitely like to do so in the next year or two. But, sheesh! The application is daunting! I'm totally intimidated by it, one reason being they require three "professional references".

Well, okay. I've spent the last 14 years birthing babies, mothering children, cooking, cleaning, teaching, etc ~ not to mention helping run a business and transition into the organics industry. My outside activities have been very limited. My church is small and doesn't offer opportunities for being on committees, etc. Any volunteerism I've done has been small things here and there, certainly nothing that has connected me with anyone deeply enough such that they could be called upon for a reference.

Two thoughts: Are there other volunteer positions within the coop other than as a member of the board. In other words, areas where you could gain experience in how the board and coop functions as an entity and where you could grow contacts for future recommendations.

Secondly, you might be overthinking the references. A friend of mine put me down as a reference when she took on the position as treasurer for her youth soccer league. She handles several thousands of dollars a year for the league. Questions were about her integrity, organizational skills and actions around children. They were relavent to the position but my answers were based on my knowledge of her as a person, not having seen her execute treasurer type activities.

You might ask your pastor and/or elders and other church members or other folks in the coop with whom you are friends to give a reference. Do you really lose anything by applying and being turned down that you don't give up by not applying?? (In other words, what might you say to your kids in a similar circumstance?)

I second trying to figure out what they are truly looking for in the position and focusing on references that address those needs. Handling finances? What about your banker as a reference? Meeting deadlines, quality assurance, etc., then that would be your milk buyer. Organizational strengths and ability to oversee multiple details, then that would be a fellow homeschooler or someone in your co-op if you attend one. If you have spent lots of time taking kids to the Dr., what about someone from your pediatrician's office who would vouch for the fact that you have effectively managed the health and medical needs for X number of children for X number of years.

In general, I would focus on highlighting your ability to perform the duties of the job. Have you been active in organic or healthy foods for a good while? Then highlight that. You could even call yourself a frequent contributor to the WTM online forum for home educators! If most of your work has centered around your family dairy business, then highlight the fact that you have X number of years of experience in the food production/dairy industry, were responsible for following and analysing market trends and maintaining the fiscal aspects of a $xxx,000 per year business. Also include the fact that you have dealt with public relations if you have ever answered questions about your farm or business. And indicate a familiarity with sustanable animal management and product production methods.. Highlight that you managed the transition from conventional agriculture to organic production.

Think about the buzz words currently popular with this board--organic, sustanable, healthful, etc. And don't forget buzz concepts also--like meeting the needs of underserved populations, educating potential consumers, familiarity with multiple modalities that provide healthful nutrition. And don't forget to tell them that your involvement will help add authenticity to their organization by bridging the gap between actual food producers and consumers who care about health and nutrition.

I have a degree in PR, so feel free to pm me if you want some more ideas for catchy phrases or whaterver:D

Colleen,

I really like the ideas you've gotten such as writing your own recommendations and utilizing your banker, accountantant & pastor. I also really like tap,tap,tap's idea:

"If you don't get a call, then try again next year. Are there public meetings? Start campaigning for next year. If there are meetings, then start going even if you aren't allowed to say anything. At the end of the meetings shake hands, address people by name (especially so you can say yours), and start forming a relationship with the powers that be so next year, they know your name when it comes across their desk. Show up, be consistent and offer quality comments. Make them want you more than you want them :D "

After reading your posts for the last few years, I know that you would be a great asset to this board - you are passionate, knowledgeable and focused. Don't let the recommendation problem derail you!!!

Anne

What great ideas! Thanks to all of you for your advice and encouragement. I've come up with a couple of reference ideas and if I can get my act together by the Friday deadline, I may go ahead and apply. If not, there's always next year and the year after and so on. I do like to be free to focus on my younger boys and they'll be grown before I know it.

Thanks again and I'll let you know, if I do apply, what comes of it all!:)