Menu

New LVP flooring—-any tips?

Ottakee

The rest of My new Cortec LVP flooring is going in today.  They started yesterday and it looks great.   I will have it everywhere except the 2 bathrooms.

Any tips for felt pads or other things to keep it from getting scratched?   Any cleaning tips?

We are already a mostly shoes off in the house household.

Just trying to figure out if felt pads on the legs of the furniture is enough or not….especially the heavy couches, etc.

Definitely felt pads! Honestly, I had a few dining chairs that somehow went without for a while, but any minor scuffs disappeared with mopping. (Pads are on now.)

I usually mop with Mr. Clean, but recently learned on CleanTok that a pH neutral cleaner should be used to prevent dulling the finish. My finish is just fine after 2 years (and longer than that at the old house) but I’ve been looking at ZEP on Amazon. 

I didn’t notice any issues from my furniture or my renter’s when I mopped for selling the old house. We didn’t take any special precautions except for a felt pad under the 1 couch leg that always shifted when the kids flopped themselves down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carrie12345 said:

I usually mop with Mr. Clean, but recently learned on CleanTok that a pH neutral cleaner should be used to prevent dulling the finish

I'm pretty sure the concentrated multi-purpose Mr. Clean is pH neutral. It's all I ever use, and my floors (engineered hardwood and LVP) are fine.

I use a variety of things on our furniture legs -- felt pads on things that aren't really heavy or don't need to be moved often (the coffee table I can easily clean under w/o moving), non-slip pads on things that I don't want to slide around when we sit down (like sofas), sliders under heavy dressers and chests that I need to be able to move out and clean behind occasionally, and furniture socks on kitchen/dining room chairs. I don't mind the look of furniture socks and they hold up to frequent use much better than any felt pads I've found.

• Like 1

We installed our lvp floor ourselves, and we saved castoff pieces for our heaviest furniture. I cut little squares of the lvp and put those under the legs or corners of things like our washer and dryer and bookcases etc. I put felt on lighter things like chairs.

ETA our lvp has the underlayment attached so the bottom of the flooring is not rough. Also, I just use water to clean.

Edited by livetoread
  • Like 2

We use felts on everything—you can often get sheets to custom cut pieces for tricky stuff. We have not tried furniture socks yet because we have felts, but my parents like them for their hardwood.

I use a Bona mop and Bona cleaner formulated for vinyl/tile. We also have non-vinyl click style flooring that was here before we moved in, and the Bona cleaner took the haze off of that floor from previous cleaner buildup. Our vacuum is one of the Shark models that has the dust roller, and I highly recommend that roller—it’s a lot better than a plain Shark without one if you have hard floors.

We buy Bona mop heads whenever they are a good deal because microfiber can get a buildup of residue. I soak them in a Dawn type dishwater bath and hand scrub them a bit before washing now that mine have been used a long time (7 years). The microfiber scrubs so well because it grabs stuff, but then it’s not keen to let the grubby stuff go! I probably need to consider replacing them. They have disposable mop heads also—both dry and wet, IIRC. I tried Libman mop heads when they were on sale, and I do not like them (though I like their other mops). I kept the Libman microfiber heads for dusting the walls—I do have to worry about any residue getting on the walls that way. E-cloth microfiber heads are compatible and work very well.

Watch for pebbles and such that get tracked in, but it’s very forgiving flooring! 

Don't use any sort of rotator bar on a vacuum, that's generally not recommended. I mop with a ph neutral floor cleaner. 

We use furniture socks on tables and chairs and sticky pads or custom cut felt that is hot glued on the bottom love the socks though. Sometimes the felt pads work themselves off over time. 

What color way did you choose?

• Like 1

Coretec is really durable. That’s what we have in our upstairs bedrooms and hallway. Your brush attachment won’t hurt anything. Ours is Lexington Oak from Lowe’s. We LOVE it. Had it for 3 years now. We definitely don’t baby it. It’s very durable. We don’t even have anything under the furniture to protect it. 😬Probably should check on the beds and stuff. 

I have a Karcher steamer/mop that I use on lvp. Mostly I just vacuum. The brush roller won’t damage it—it just blows debris everywhere, so it’s not helpful on hard floors. Honestly, my Eufy robo vacs are fabulous on hard floors. 

eta: just looked up Jerome Oak—that’s a beautiful color! Very nice!

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, popmom said:

Coretec is really durable. That’s what we have in our upstairs bedrooms and hallway. Your brush attachment won’t hurt anything. Ours is Lexington Oak from Lowe’s. We LOVE it. Had it for 3 years now. We definitely don’t baby it. It’s very durable. We don’t even have anything under the furniture to protect it. 😬Probably should check on the beds and stuff. 

I have a Karcher steamer/mop that I use on lvp. Mostly I just vacuum. The brush roller won’t damage it—it just blows debris everywhere, so it’s not helpful on hard floors. Honestly, my Eufy robo vacs are fabulous on hard floors. 

eta: just looked up Jerome Oak—that’s a beautiful color! Very nice!

I went with the coretec as my mom had it in her house for 5+ years and when she passed away we swept and mopped it and it looked brand new….and she drove her power wheelchair over it that entire time.

• Like 1

The feet on our couch, living room chairs, ottoman have plastic rounded pieces on the bottom. The regular felt pads move around. Not so much of a problem with the couch and chairs, but I have scratched up the (some kind of manufactured wood) floor with the ottoman. Any ideas on what to use on rounded legs? Links appreciated. Guess I could drive over to the local Ace Hardware and ask.

1 hour ago, Sunshine State Sue said:

The feet on our couch, living room chairs, ottoman have plastic rounded pieces on the bottom. The regular felt pads move around. Not so much of a problem with the couch and chairs, but I have scratched up the (some kind of manufactured wood) floor with the ottoman. Any ideas on what to use on rounded legs? Links appreciated. Guess I could drive over to the local Ace Hardware and ask.

I'd look at chair socks (there are many to choose from in various colors, the link is just for an example) or something similar to these.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1