Menu

Would you eat this? (my turn, Elizabeth86!)

Kassia

Stove Top Stuffing with a best by date of July 2023.  I bought it last year for Thanksgiving, but my kids ended up not coming home.  Can I serve it for this Thanksgiving or should I toss and replace with new since it's so cheap?  

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Kassia said:

Stove Top Stuffing with a best by date of July 2023.  I bought it last year for Thanksgiving, but my kids ended up not coming home.  Can I serve it for this Thanksgiving or should I toss and replace with new since it's so cheap?  

It’s probably fine, but I’m not sure for Thanksgiving. If it’s stale then you served yucky food to people. If it’s just close family yeah, but idk if it’s for extended family. I’d just eat it now and buy more.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

. If it’s stale then you served yucky food to people.

That's why I think I'm going to toss it.  DH doesn't like it and I like it too much and will eat the entire package at once if I make it with no one else here to eat it.  I'd rather eat something else for that many calories! 😛  

Edited by Kassia

2 hours ago, Kassia said:

That's why I think I'm going to toss it.  DH doesn't like it and I like it too much and will eat the entire package at once if I make it with no one else here to eat it.  I'd rather eat something else for that many calories! 😛  

Haha too bad I’m not close by! I could eat the whole dang thing too 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I can’t believe your dh doesn’t like it, I find that more surprising! I thought everyone likes stove top.

You could always do the trick of making it, then immediately portion it out to what you can eat today and package up the rest for tomorrow…if it’s cold and put away it might be less tempting!

Edited by saraha

1 minute ago, saraha said:

I can’t believe your dh doesn’t like it, I find that more surprising! I thought everyone likes stove top

I never tasted it in my life under I married dh. I was like, dude, this is bread 😅

In my neck of the woods, we have dirty rice or cornbread dressing. Oyster dressing if someone is feeling ambitious. 

• Like 2

It’s safe to eat but “may” taste stale. I would do something fresh for a holiday, but then if your kids are staying there with you you could make it to eat with left overs. Then if it tastes stale, no one missed stuffing on the day. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

I know!! Sometimes my family makes homemade and I’m like what?? 😱 I never make because I’m the only one that will eat it.

My MIL used to make amazing stuffing.  Oh my gosh, that's all I would want to eat at Thanksgiving.  I love homemade and I love Stove Top...I think I just really like carbs/bread.  😍

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, KatieJ said:

But I just have to ask….do we have to thinking about Thanksgiving already????

well, I do because I'm an anxious mess and Thanksgiving and Christmas are incredibly stressful for me so I start worrying about them now.  But you should absolutely not be thinking of Thanksgiving!  Forget I asked!  🙂  

• Like 2

I used to make good homemade stuffing but somehow the last few years I messed it up and haven't been able to fix it. So last year I bought stove top and we were all like "wow, this great and so much less work." So, not going back. 

I would not eat a packaged food that old. Canned yes, but not packaged. 

• Thanks 1

I might eat it myself, but I wouldn't serve it for Thanksgiving.

If you like it and don't want to make it all at once, why not just make some of it and keep the rest in a ziplock?  Eat a reasonable portion once a week until it's gone.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, KatieJ said:

But I just have to ask….do we have to thinking about Thanksgiving already????

So you don't want to hear that we have 107 days until Christmas? 

17 hours ago, Elizabeth86 said:

image.png.5a092ca0b6fabbeffcff5752456cf81e.png

I'm already on the bridge. I live on the bridge. I am the bridge. 

18 hours ago, SKL said:

If you like it and don't want to make it all at once, why not just make some of it and keep the rest in a ziplock?  Eat a reasonable portion once a week until it's gone.

If it were that easy, none of us would need to lose weight. 

I know that there are people who can keep food they love in the fridge and eat reasonable portions until it's gone, or go to the ice cream parlor with the family and not order ice cream, but I am not one of those people. I do not understand those people. I live on the bridge, eating too-big portions of my favorite foods. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, saraha said:

I can’t believe your dh doesn’t like it, I find that more surprising! I thought everyone likes stove top.

Only 1 of my 4 kids really likes it.  One won't touch it and the other two are just so-so about it (that's the way DH is).  They are that way with all stuffing, not just Stove Top.  

14 minutes ago, katilac said:

I know that there are people who can keep food they love in the fridge and eat reasonable portions until it's gone, or go to the ice cream parlor with the family and not order ice cream, but I am not one of those people. I do not understand those people. I live on the bridge, eating too-big portions of my favorite foods. 

Me too.  DH is one of those people who forgets he has delicious food left over.  For me, it calls my name until it's gone.  He still has Christmas candy in the cabinet.  Mine was gone December 26th.  What's hard is that he has food that tempts me all the time.  He can eat one or two crackers or cookies or whatever and put the container away and be satisfied.  For me, I can't stop once I start.  I used to have willpower to stay away from his treats, but I don't anymore.