Menu

When can I get rid of high school work?

He has accepted his admittance, scheduled his classes, etc. for fall 2024 (at college).

When is it okay to get rid of high school work and/or what did you keep, if anything?  

I have a binder with the grades, schedule, syllabus (for outsourced courses), copies of table of contents of texts, etc.  All papers and lab reports are electronically stored.  I planned on keeping that a while. 

Can I get rid of all my paper stuff? I don't own many of the texts anymore, but I still have all my son's work that was on the transcript, so all notes, problems, workbooks, etc. 

I keep tests as well as what you mentioned above. I get rid of all daily work. I think I Got rid of all my college graduated son’s work when he graduated  college. It’s probably overkill and I’ve never needed it but I would rather be safe than sorry. 

• Like 1

I have scanned most of my boys’ stuff that was hardcopy. I have digital organized on my PC. I have high school stuff in 3 boxes tucked away and will get rid of it when they graduate college 😬😆!

• Sad 1

Yes. 

I didn’t keep much paper. Most work was saved digitally. But we used an umbrella school, so her high school diploma is not mom issued. All placement stuff for courses was settled before the first semester began and showed up in her portal. 

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

I have scanned most of my boys’ stuff that was hardcopy. I have digital organized on my PC. I have high school stuff in 3 boxes tucked away and will get rid of it when they graduate college 😬😆!

Oh my goodness. I don't even want to think how long it would take to scan all the hardcopy stuff. I have probably five copier paper boxes full between my two kids. 

Edited by cintinative

Bonfire!!!! As soon as they all the info is verified. My son’s portal had a list of things they expected - official transcripts, AP scores, DE grades. When it went from “pending” to “received,” I knew they worked their way through it all. I tossed everything but the material my younger son used. 
If he has taken any DE classes, keep the syllabus from them and keep the lab reports (just in case). Toss the rest!

• Like 3

Hmm. Great question. My husband has already told my daughter that he wants to keep her copy of The Divine Comedy. (that's so sweet and nerdy -- I love it!)

We're keeping most of her notes/tests/study guides, as her brothers will likely be taking some of the same classes. 

We don't have a lot of workbooks/paperwork this year. 

• Like 1

I remember a formerly homeschooled boardie reported moving from one state to another where, in order to be recertified as an EMT there, she had to prove she'd taken some high school science class; having been homeschooled, they wanted to see her lab book from the course.  Never mind that she had earned a college degree that included the subject at a higher level and that she'd been working several years; they wanted the high school lab book.  It went something like that, anyway.  Weird, but it's a rare example of a reason you might need to keep something you didn't expect to need again.  

• Confused 2

I think I kept everything through college, and after that, just transcripts and a few papers or projects that seemed extra important or special.  Maybe depending on their field of study, I would have saved more.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, J-rap said:

I think I kept everything through college, and after that, just transcripts and a few papers or projects that seemed extra important or special.  Maybe depending on their field of study, I would have saved more.  

do you mean you kept all the high school stuff through college?  Just confirming. 

14 hours ago, cintinative said:

Wow. I totally had not planned for that. eeek.

Well that's just the way I did it ~ I'm sure others will tell you there's no need.  I just wanted to be extra careful.  I don't think anything I saved was critical, but there were times when it was helpful for my children to be able to look back on things they'd studied in high school, such as old papers or notes that might be helpful for placement tests, a little refreshing, etc. in college.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I got rid of college stuff when my student graduated college.  You never know when things will go south with a student or they will want to transfer and you'll need that stuff again.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Reefgazer said:

I got rid of college stuff when my student graduated college.  You never know when things will go south with a student or they will want to transfer and you'll need that stuff again.

That’s how I feel, too.  

• Like 2