Menu

Dumb Facebook question

Katy

If someone (a Facebook friend) blocks you and then unblocks you more than a decade later, are they still in your friends list? 

I’m trying to figure out why a post from my ex’s sister is suddenly in my feed. She stopped being a “friend” the day her brother and I decided to break up. But we still have a lot of mutual friends. I’m guessing she got over whatever her problem was bc of a recent death of one of her parents. But still, that’s weird right? 

She must have unblocked you, yes. Whether she would still be on your friends list, not sure; if the post tagged anyone who *is* in your friends list, that may be why it shows up - sometimes those posts are set to "friends of friends" and she may have forgotten that would include you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TheReader said:

She must have unblocked you, yes. Whether she would still be on your friends list, not sure; if the post tagged anyone who *is* in your friends list, that may be why it shows up - sometimes those posts are set to "friends of friends" and she may have forgotten that would include you. 

No, she’s listed as a friend again. She must’ve decided to unblock me. I thought I saw her somewhere about a month ago, but I wasn’t close enough to be sure or say hi and I wasn’t in her town. I bet it was her. 

It seems like once you block someone they shouldn’t still be in your friends list, but I would have added her back if she requested it. 

Maybe she did that temporary mute thing vs. an actual purge.

I don't know exactly how it works.

My guess is that she's curious about how your life is going.  Of course you can delete her from your friends list if you don't want her looking at your posts.

2 minutes ago, SKL said:

Maybe she did that temporary mute thing vs. an actual purge.

I don't know exactly how it works.

My guess is that she's curious about how your life is going.  Of course you can delete her from your friends list if you don't want her looking at your posts.

I use the snooze feature a lot.  That keeps you from seeing someone's posts for 30 days.  

You can also customize your own posts so that certain people don't see them.  You can keep her from seeing all of your posts or just specific ones you'd rather her not see.  

• Like 1

Do you know she blocked you?  She might have just set her default to some people not seeing her posts by default.  I use that feature occassionally.  And maybe she intentionally took that setting off.  Or maybe she got a new device that reset her settings somehow.  

In general, I don't think can facebook "block" a user while continuing to be friends with them.  I went to facebook and tried to block my husband and it gives me a warning that will unfriend him before fully blocking. 

I do think it's fairly easy to accept a friend request or suggestion accidently on a moblile device.  I have done that.  If she did block you, she would have had to refriend you.  I do think there are ways to lock down your profile, even to friends on FB.  

• Like 1

When you block someone, it automatically unfriends them. That said, you can hide a friend from seeing your posts. So maybe she unhid  you.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Kassia said:

You can also customize your own posts so that certain people don't see them.  You can keep her from seeing all of your posts or just specific ones you'd rather her not see.  

12 minutes ago, catz said:

She might have just set her default to some people not seeing her posts by default.  

I only thought of Katy doing that, but didn't consider that could have been done to her.  Definitely a possibility.  

3 hours ago, Katy said:

why a post from my ex’s sister is suddenly in my feed.

FB has been doing crazy things, adding in lots of suggested posts and NOT showing the people you're actually following. It sounds like it's a FB thing and not your ex-SIL at all.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, PeterPan said:

FB has been doing crazy things, adding in lots of suggested posts and NOT showing the people you're actually following. It sounds like it's a FB thing and not your ex-SIL at all.

Ok, I’m thinking you’re right. Because when the post showed up this morning I could see her profile & she was on my friends list again. But now she’s not there. She has an uncommon name. 

12 minutes ago, Katy said:

Ok, I’m thinking you’re right. Because when the post showed up this morning I could see her profile & she was on my friends list again. But now she’s not there. She has an uncommon name. 

Or someone copied her name/info and the fraudulent version was deleted. It happens a lot.

1 hour ago, PeterPan said:

Or someone copied her name/info and the fraudulent version was deleted. It happens a lot.

No, it was so strange to see her at all this morning that I clicked through. It was her profile, and we were marked as friends. She had posts going back more than 5 years, I stopped scrolling there. Saw stuff only friends can see. Parental cancer, funeral plans, news about ex’s military retirement. Idk how it happened but I bet it was a Facebook fluke because she’s no longer there, and when I clicked through from a mutual friend I see a normal, non-friend profile. I do think I was blocked before, but I’m not anymore. It doesn’t really matter. We were never close, and I’d be open to being Facebook friends but we’re not going to ever hang out in person. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

My guess is she unblocked you and then reblocked you. 

Or unblocked, snooped, and unfriended. She figured out it was me she saw last month.