Menu

Quilters - help please! (Success! Pics)

Amethyst

I finished my quilt today.  Yay! I’m happy with how it looks for the most part. 

DH helped me hang it immediately. But oh the waviness! ☹️ How do I get rid of the waviness? There must be tricks. Should I start with ironing it? I know that won’t completely solve the problem. I’m attaching pics so you can see how bad the waviness is. 

IMG_6580.jpeg

IMG_6578.jpeg

Edited by Amethyst
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

You could try running a casing on the back side of it that you can put a curtain rod through, and then mount hooks to wall and secure the rod. It will stretch it. Fabric has so much give that often quilts do not hang straight, and will stretch a little which makes it hard to make them look the way you want as wall hangings. You can also try having the dry cleaners give it a good steam press and starch it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, athena1277 said:

Have you washed it since you finished it?  Sometimes that seems to get everything straighten out a bit.

I have not. But I might do that soon. I’m seeing videos on blocking and I think this might really help. 

So, I can't tell from the pics how big it is, but some thoughts:

-do wash it and then hang - it will kind of tighten everything up. Use a color-fast detergent like synthropol, OR use your  normal detergent, on cold, with plenty of color catcher sheets so it takes care of any bleeding.  (Shout is one brand, they are in the laundry aisle in a little box)

-once you wash it, dry it in the dryer - letting it sit wet is actually what leads to more bleeding, so drying it immediately will help with that, and then that's of course what tightens it up

-if that doesn't kind of take care of the waviness - which it may not, b/c it looks like the middle is quilted differently than the border - then yes, ironing the border out/the quilt out will help it kind of straighten up. 

-I can't tell how you have it hung (looks like with one of those hanging bars that grip the quilt?), but if all of this doesn't work, then yes, blocking can work; I haven't ever had to do it, but I don't know that I've hung a quilt that large -- well, one over my bed, but it's vintage, well loved/washed, and has a scalloped edge, so is hanging pretty well and the scalloped edge means you don't notice.  BUT, I know plenty of people have had great success with blocking. 

It's a gorgeous quilt! I'm so glad you've got it on display! 

• Like 2

I've heard that this is caused by sewing the borders on even with the edges of the quilt rather than using measurements of length and width taken at the center and then easing the quilt into the border. But I think it's also caused by more quilting in the center than on the borders. Can you add some quilting to the border? 

It's a beautiful quilt! I love the pattern and the colors, and you can be very proud of it, even if it's a little wavy.

I zoomed in and noticed that only the center of the quilt looks to be quilted. There’s no quilting in the border to the edge of the quilt. The quilting will take up a quilts length up to a few inches depending on the density of the quilting and since your border doesn’t seem to be quilted, that didn’t get taken up with rest of the quilt and remains the original length.

You could go back and try to quilt the border to match it with the rest of the quilt length or you can give it a good steam press and spray wet it down and press and see if that helps.

50 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

Here is the whole thing. Yes, you’re right that the border is not quilted, but I have another one that I hung and the border WAS quilted, and I had the same issue. 

IMG_6582.jpeg

Ugh, my ipad keeps dying while I’m replying.

In that case, I have 2 more suggestions. If you put the borders on each side and then trimmed off at the end, it could cause waves. It’s recommended to measure the length in several areas, 🤞🏼hopefully the measurements are close, take an average, and cut both sides the same length and ease the sides to fit the border you cut. This helps your quilt to stay square.

second, right before I sew on borders I stay-stitch the outside of the border fabric before I sew it on the quilt top. (or you can stay-stitch all the way around the outside of the quilt after putting all the borders on.) This keeps the quilt edges from stretching out during handling.

it’s a very pretty quilt and I love the colors.

Edited by Mona

30 minutes ago, Mona said:

Ugh, my ipad keeps dying while I’m replying.

In that case, I have 2 more suggestions. If you put the borders on each side and then trimmed off at the end, it could cause waves. It’s recommended to measure the length in several areas, 🤞🏼hopefully the measurements are close, take an average, and cut both sides the same length and ease the sides to fit the border you cut. This helps your quilt to stay square.

I did measure to make sure it was “square” before I put the binding on. Dh helped. He’s a meticulous woodworker and helped me make sure it was square. I was so determined to make it not wavy this time. 😭

30 minutes ago, Mona said:

second, right before I sew on borders I stay-stitch the outside of the border fabric before I sew it on the quilt top. (or you can stay-stitch all the way around the outside of the quilt after putting all the borders on.) This keeps the quilt edges from stretching out during handling.     

it’s a very pretty quilt and I love the colors.

I like this idea of stay-stitching. I’ve never heard that suggested before.

Thanks. 

• Like 1

• Amethyst changed the title to Quilters - help please! (Success! Pics)