Menu

Miscarriage prevention help please.

I have a friend who's daughter has experienced several miscarriages. I told her there were a bunch of wonderful ladies here at the WTM board who would have sound advice about what her daughter can be doing/not doing to prevent another miscarriage. So, can anyone offer any insight, advice, suggestions on diet or anything else that might help?

I seem to recall other posts in the past about this but, after a search, I did not come up with much other than too much ginger can be harmful.

Thanks so much!

It's really going to depend on why she is miscarrying. If there is something wrong medically, her doctor will have to help her with it. Usually if there is a long string of miscarriages, doctor's will need to get involved to figure out what's going on.

There's the usual things like not doing anything that raises your body temperature such as saunas, hot tubs, tanning.

She should also stay well hydrated as dehydration can cause miscarriages and preterm labor.

It's really going to depend on why she is miscarrying. If there is something wrong medically, her doctor will have to help her with it. Usually if there is a long string of miscarriages, doctor's will need to get involved to figure out what's going on.

There's the usual things like not doing anything that raises your body temperature such as saunas, hot tubs, tanning.

She should also stay well hydrated as dehydration can cause miscarriages and preterm labor.

JoAnn,

Thanks so much for your reply. I just finished reading through the thread you started about your miscarriage earlier this year and was feeling so very sad for you. Were you able to get your bill forgiven or reduced, or at least vent your frustrations to the hospital administration for how poorly you were treated? I hope things have brightened up for you. I lost three of my babies through miscarriages, but I did not suffer as you did. I prayed for you again today and hope you are doing better.

I know that hormones have played a large factor in at least 4 of mine. That said, my doctor is/was on the fence with what came first, the bad prenancy or the low hormones. I did use progesterone for one pregnancy when my #s were a "little" low. I think it was 11 and they like at least 13. Anyway, I did some reading and found out that too much white sugar and flour can affect these things. It makes your cycle off and then if you get pregnant you don't have enough of the right hormones b/c you should have conceived earlier when the hormone levels were higher. I know that was a bit convoluted but what can I say I've only had one cup so far this morning.:D

I would also like to add that your friend could very well go on to have children. It is painful at times, but worth it. Will be praying for your friend.

This is great, ladies. I really appreciate the replies. I know the daughter, but she lives a distance away and I am really much better acquainted with her mother so I am doing this from a very unknowledgeable perspective. I suppose she is working with a doctor, although my conversation with her mom did not get that in-depth. I will definitely mention that as she may not have gotten the courage to voice her concerns to a physician yet.

I'm copying and pasting all these ideas into a document and will print it out and take it to the mom when I see her at church this Sunday.

Has she been tested for blood clotting disorders? Through a strange course of events, my family was tested for clotting disorders and all of us have at least one.

My dh and my older two kids have one known as Factor V Leiden. I know that this can contribute to miscarriages. I'm thankful we found out when my dd was only 9 so that she will be able to tell her doctor about it ahead of time once she's married and thinking about babies.

Just another thought....

My cousin had a long string of miscarriages and through medical testing found out it had something to do with blood and clotting during pregnancy. She ended up having to take half a baby aspirin whenever pregnant to carry to term. She's since had two healthy children.

There are many reasons why a woman might have recurring miscarriages. I had 2 (my 2nd and 3rd) after dc#3. Both were blighted ovum pregnancies. The second one nearly killed me with loss of blood. I did a lot of research to try to figure out why they happened. Eventually I decided that my body was very depleted of many nutrients. I took vitamins and flax oil and changed the things that had led to my getting depleted. 2 1/2 years after the miscarriage, I conceived dc#4 and had no troubles. As you can see from my siggy, I went on to have 2 more successful pregnancies after that.

I highly recommend the book Fertility, Cycles, and Nutrition by Marilyn Shannon - I got a lot of my info from that book.

I hope that she finds out why she is having them!

Has she been tested for blood clotting disorders? Through a strange course of events, my family was tested for clotting disorders and all of us have at least one.

My dh and my older two kids have one known as Factor V Leiden. I know that this can contribute to miscarriages. I'm thankful we found out when my dd was only 9 so that she will be able to tell her doctor about it ahead of time once she's married and thinking about babies.

Just another thought....

I have had 6 miscarriages and six children. When I was in my 12th pregnancy, the dr dx me with FVL. I also have another blood-clotting factor; MTHFR (or something like that). With that pregnancy, I had heparin therapy for the FVL and extra folic acid for the MTHFR.

It is hereditary and can only be dx with a blood test. The blood test has only been perfected in the last 10 years.

I have had 6 miscarriages and six children. When I was in my 12th pregnancy, the dr dx me with FVL. I also have another blood-clotting factor; MTHFR (or something like that). With that pregnancy, I had heparin therapy for the FVL and extra folic acid for the MTHFR.

It is hereditary and can only be dx with a blood test. The blood test has only been perfected in the last 10 years.

My older kids also both have MTHFR as well. Both of their disorders come from their dad. I have Factor II but neither of the older kids do. The baby hasn't been tested for any of them yet.

JoAnn,

Thanks so much for your reply. I just finished reading through the thread you started about your miscarriage earlier this year and was feeling so very sad for you. Were you able to get your bill forgiven or reduced, or at least vent your frustrations to the hospital administration for how poorly you were treated? I hope things have brightened up for you. I lost three of my babies through miscarriages, but I did not suffer as you did. I prayed for you again today and hope you are doing better.

I'm currently paying the absolute lowest payment per month that each provider would allow. I've written the letter but haven't gotten it in the mail. I should do that. I'm also currently 11 weeks pregnant again.

I'm currently paying the absolute lowest payment per month that each provider would allow. I've written the letter but haven't gotten it in the mail. I should do that. I'm also currently 11 weeks pregnant again.

Congratulations on your pregnancy! I'm guessing you might be feeling a little trepidatious right now - praying all goes well.