Menu

Thanking God I found my rings!

sheryl

Here it is Monday evening 8:15 pm and about an hour ago I was in the thick of finishing dinner and doing some chores.  I bought jewelry cleaner earlier today and cleaned my rings.  They looked so much better.  I had them off to do wash dishes and put them back off.  Then I took them off again, put in my pocket and a few minutes later I put my hand in my pocket to pull out my rings and they were not there!  I thought they were flushed in the toilet, vacuumed up in sweeper I just ran and the list goes on.  I was on kitchen floor having just pierced the sweeper bag and going through that gross mess when I felt a nudging to look in the trash.  I felt very sure they were going to be there.  Yes, all 3 were there!!!!  They were mixed up with paper I had in my pocket that I threw out along with my rings.

Wedding ring
Anniversary channel ring
Another little ring

I'm thanking God for finding my rings! PTL!!!  

• Like 37

Posted (edited)

Oh yeah, needless to say I washed them carefully, put them in jewelry cleaner AGAIN and they are now on my fingers!  

That was careless of me.  

Moral to the story: do NOT put rings in your pockets!  I normally don't but I was in a hurry.  That taught me this lesson - busy or not they go away in to their box!  

ETA:  all in all from "lost to found" 🙂 it only took about 30 minutes!

Edited by sheryl
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, sheryl said:

Moral to the story: do NOT put rings in your pockets!

Yes!! I used to do that until I lost mine. We ended up finding them under a leaf on the sidewalk of a busy street at 10pm at night. (I used to do that when I went to ballet class now I just leave them at home. Better field people's questions about whether DH and I are still together than to lose the most expensive jewelry I own.)

• Like 2

I lost my wedding ring when DS18 was a few months old. We don’t even know where my ring dropped. I was scared of losing the platinum ring my mom bought me so we bought a cheap thick ring to wear as the keeper ring. I had a chemistry teacher in middle school that wears a wedding ring as a pendant so that she doesn’t lose it when washing hands at school. 

Edited by Arcadia
typo
  • Like 4

I’m so glad you found them!

DH and I were once heading to a college football game and I could not find my wedding band. I looked as much as I could but DH was like, we have to go if you we are going to go. So, we went and I was unsettled the whole time trying to retrace my steps mentally. We get home that night and one of my kids is asking about our day and I told him I was distracted bc I had lost my ring. He was like, “oh, I found that today, I put it here for you.” I was so relieved! 

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, footballmom said:

I’m so glad you found them!

DH and I were once heading to a college football game and I could not find my wedding band. I looked as much as I could but DH was like, we have to go if you we are going to go. So, we went and I was unsettled the whole time trying to retrace my steps mentally. We get home that night and one of my kids is asking about our day and I told him I was distracted bc I had lost my ring. He was like, “oh, I found that today, I put it here for you.” I was so relieved! 

I'm glad y'all have found yours too!  Footballmom, right.  I will not be in so much of a hurry next time to not put my little gems in safe keeping.  Truly, it was a bad decision on my part.  Well-meaning but not discerning.  We all just get so caught up but it will only take me one minute to put my rings upstairs "away" and wash dishes, do whatever. 🙂  

Glad you found your ring.

I lost my ring twice, and we found it twice.

1st time I was cleaning branches off my mother's roof after a windstorm.  I wasn't wearing gloves . .  and one time when I tossed branches, the ring went too. . . . we found it under branches on the driveway.  So much easier than dealing with all the branches on the lawn . . . 

the second time I was moving rocks (again, no gloves) in a (dead but tall) grassy area when we were going to be dumping 14 tons of dirt to be pushed around by an excavator  . . . I wasn't even sure that was where I lost it.  I looked until the truck came, and never found anything.  I was concerned it could have been anywhere . . . 
MONTHS later, dh was digging a trench in that area to start a rock retaining wall.  he noticed something glinting in the sun, it was barely uncovered - it was the ring still mostly covered in the dirt.

2dd has the right idea - she wears a silicon ring every day, and doesn't wear her rings all the time. (besides, she works in a lab.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

I was tempted to buy the Waterford heart ring holder when it was on post Christmas sale at Macy’s

I don't know if it's this exact one but I have a similar thing in the kitchen. It's wonderful. I take the rings off in the kitchen a lot (working with dough or something). The other place I take it off often is the bathroom, but there I have the ring cleaning machine that I put it in.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I was tempted to buy the Waterford heart ring holder when it was on post Christmas sale at Macy’s

image.jpeg.6620a2e953ac72736ab88a606a8ef6d4.jpeg

So pretty!!

8 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

Glad you found your ring.

I lost my ring twice, and we found it twice.

1st time I was cleaning branches off my mother's roof after a windstorm.  I wasn't wearing gloves . .  and one time when I tossed branches, the ring went too. . . . we found it under branches on the driveway.  So much easier than dealing with all the branches on the lawn . . . 

the second time I was moving rocks (again, no gloves) in a (dead but tall) grassy area when we were going to be dumping 14 tons of dirt to be pushed around by an excavator  . . . I wasn't even sure that was where I lost it.  I looked until the truck came, and never found anything.  I was concerned it could have been anywhere . . . 
MONTHS later, dh was digging a trench in that area to start a rock retaining wall.  he noticed something glinting in the sun, it was barely uncovered - it was the ring still mostly covered in the dirt.

2dd has the right idea - she wears a silicon ring every day, and doesn't wear her rings all the time. (besides, she works in a lab.)

That is quite the story!  Amazing your dh found it.  I do have a "gold band" wedding band as well but my diamond ring is the primary wedding band.  I have the band to use when doing work or etc and don't want to loosen diamonds.  But, I took my 3 rings off so I wouldn't wear them in dishwater.  In to the pocket they went with paper scraps.  I had many things on my mind (to do list) and in to the garbage my paper scraps went along with all 3 rings without me batting an eye!  OY!

• Like 1

DH’s wedding ring is nice. It has 3 baguette diamonds in a flat rectangular setting. One day he lost it and it was gone long enough that he replaced it with a plain gold band. He found it months later in his top desk drawer at home. He man-looked there but didn’t see it for a few months. Now he has two rings and saves the nicer one for special occasions. 

I just wear mine all the time. It’s why they’re constantly in need of a good cleaning. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

DH’s wedding ring is nice. It has 3 baguette diamonds in a flat rectangular setting. One day he lost it and it was gone long enough that he replaced it with a plain gold band. He found it months later in his top desk drawer at home. He man-looked there but didn’t see it for a few months. Now he has two rings and saves the nicer one for special occasions. 

I just wear mine all the time. It’s why they’re constantly in need of a good cleaning. 

Whew, glad he found his too! My dh never takes his off but I do when washing dishes, using chemicals, potting a plant, etc.  I'm now leaning towards wearing my gold band only at the dog park.

A good reminder with diamonds - I was told that the "prongs" holding the diamonds need to be built back up.  I almost lost a gem because one such prong had worn down.   Or something.   ?  Don't really remember because I didn't think gold could wear down.  But, something happened to the prong where it jeopardized a gem.   The jeweler caught it in time and built it back up, same as new.  

4 hours ago, sheryl said:

Whew, glad he found his too! My dh never takes his off but I do when washing dishes, using chemicals, potting a plant, etc.  I'm now leaning towards wearing my gold band only at the dog park.

A good reminder with diamonds - I was told that the "prongs" holding the diamonds need to be built back up.  I almost lost a gem because one such prong had worn down.   Or something.   ?  Don't really remember because I didn't think gold could wear down.  But, something happened to the prong where it jeopardized a gem.   The jeweler caught it in time and built it back up, same as new.  

Agreed about prongs wearing. I had one prong completely wear off, and when I noticed it, the next one over was very, very thin. 2 out of 6, next to each other would have allowed for a stone lost. 😞 

• Like 1

Years ago I banged my ring as I was getting towels out of our washing machine.  A few minutes later I realized the diamond was gone from my engagement ring!  I knew exactly what had happened but I figured it was gone because of the drain holes at the bottom of the tub.  Anyway, my dh put a pair of panty hose over the drain pipe and did a spin cycle.  I think we did three and I had given up when he ran one more and out it popped! My wedding ring wore through a few years ago so I'm very thankful we found the diamond as I can still wear that 

Edited by Tenaj
  • Like 3

On 2/29/2024 at 8:08 PM, Arcadia said:

image.jpeg.6620a2e953ac72736ab88a606a8ef6d4.jpeg

My grandmother gave me something like this when I was a teenager (not Waterford I'm sure!) It's still where I keep my rings every night.

Re Prongs: a good local jeweler checked my ring maybe 20 years into marriage and said they still looked good. I had the ring re-sized maybe 30 years into marriage (dog leash injury permanently changed size of knuckle) and at that point they said to re-tip them so I did. A friend did lose the diamond from her ring and found it eventually in the front seat of her car.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Halftime Hope said:

Agreed about prongs wearing. I had one prong completely wear off, and when I noticed it, the next one over was very, very thin. 2 out of 6, next to each other would have allowed for a stone lost. 😞 

So good that you noticed and avoided a problem.   I've had one of my rings retipped but don't remember which.  Maybe more than 1.  

17 hours ago, Tenaj said:

Years ago I banged my ring as I was getting towels out of our washing machine.  A few minutes later I realized the diamond was gone from my engagement ring!  I knew exactly what had happened but I figured it was gone because of the drain holes at the bottom of the tub.  Anyway, my dh put a pair of panty hose over the drain pipe and did a spin cycle.  I think we did three and I had given up when he ran one more and out it popped! My wedding ring wore through a few years ago so I'm very thankful we found the diamond as I can still wear that 

That's a good story too.  SMART move for your dh to use pantyhose!   He persevered and you got your stone back!  YAY!  But, did the band wear through?  You can "build up" or add material (yellow gold?) to your ring so it's wearable again.  I've had 2-3 resized. It does cost money but overall not bad when you know you can wear a ring again.  Could you do that?

2 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

My grandmother gave me something like this when I was a teenager (not Waterford I'm sure!) It's still where I keep my rings every night.

Re Prongs: a good local jeweler checked my ring maybe 20 years into marriage and said they still looked good. I had the ring re-sized maybe 30 years into marriage (dog leash injury permanently changed size of knuckle) and at that point they said to re-tip them so I did. A friend did lose the diamond from her ring and found it eventually in the front seat of her car.

That's incredible your friend found the diamond in the car with activity of people getting in and out.  You know, I have a little heart shaped ring keeper that was my Mom's.  I think I may have given it to her.  But, it does NOT have a post.  I'm going to get one.  Thanks, Arcadia!  

42 minutes ago, sheryl said:

You know, I have a little heart shaped ring keeper that was my Mom's.  I think I may have given it to her.  But, it does NOT have a post.  I'm going to get one.  Thanks, Arcadia!  

I have a tiny crystal bowl that would be perfect for rings.  I don't think a post is necessary, although I certainly can see why someone invented such an item. Just sayin'...I don't think having the exact item made for this purpose is necessary.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Halftime Hope said:

I have a tiny crystal bowl that would be perfect for rings.  I don't think a post is necessary, although I certainly can see why someone invented such an item. Just sayin'...I don't think having the exact item made for this purpose is necessary.

I would normally agree with this but I need all the help I can get.  Just sayin'  I need the backup.   LOL!  🙂   

2 hours ago, kbutton said:

DH lost his at the Y, and someone turned it in weeks later! He had left a message with the desk in case it turned up, so they knew to call.

Yes, that's wonderful!  I'm sure both of you were overjoyed!  That's a good story!  

46 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

That's lovely and reasonably-priced.  Thanks for sending that link.  I'm looking at yours above and a few others.  I found one that is heart-shaped with a higher side which I might need.  It has a post.  Much appreciated!  

20 hours ago, sheryl said:

That's a good story too.  SMART move for your dh to use pantyhose!   He persevered and you got your stone back!  YAY!  But, did the band wear through?  You can "build up" or add material (yellow gold?) to your ring so it's wearable again.  I've had 2-3 resized. It does cost money but overall not bad when you know you can wear a ring again.  Could you do that?

Yes, the band wore through and we just keep putting off getting it fixed or replacing it.  Just about the time I think about it, something more "important" comes along.  I keep imagining my dh getting me a new one for Christmas or a birthday sometime (or anniversary) but honestly, he's probably forgotten completely about it 🙂