Menu

Dr Hive: Allergic Dermatitis

goldberry

So last Saturday I had a bump on my face I thought was a bite.  By Sunday it had expanded into a rashy patch.  The only things I had done differently was use a different shampoo (last Tuesday and last Saturday morning) and also used a new sunscreen starting about 7-10 days prior.  I ditched both of them.  The last time I used the sunscreen was on Saturday am.  Monday rash is expanded to my neck.  Crazy itchy, crusty oozy, similar to poison ivy rash.

As of this morning, I still have new spots appearing. They are more isolated and not in large patches. My question is, how long should new spots be appearing since the last time I was potentially exposed to something was Saturday morning?  Since it is ON MY FACE it is not only uncomfortable, but I have to go to work like this!

I have used benedryl cream on it, and also taken oral benadry.  Wondering when I should visit a doc if new spots don't stop appearing.  

Just now, prairiewindmomma said:

Are you sure it’s not shingles or something else? Dermatitis isnt usually crusty or oozy. I’d go get seen.

I don't think it could be shingles because it's not painful at all, only itchy. And shingles doesn't typically start on the face, especially both sides of the face. When I say crusty oozy, It made tiny blisters, and then those blisters look like they kind of burst. So similar to a poison ivy rash. Not like oozing down my face or anything.

1 minute ago, goldberry said:

I don't think it could be shingles because it's not painful at all, only itchy. And shingles doesn't typically start on the face, especially both sides of the face. When I say crusty oozy, It made tiny blisters, and then those blisters look like they kind of burst. So similar to a poison ivy rash. Not like oozing down my face or anything.

This is what impetigo looks like for my young adult son. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Arcadia said:

For allergic dermatitis, mine takes about a week as the rash spreads more and more and look less red as it spreads. If it is in the scalp region, it does look crusty like dandruff. 

Not scalp, but under my ears and behind my ears. Although the first large patch was on my cheek.

For my kids, they use aquaphor for eczema. It is not immediate but helps soothe the skin. I use estee launder’s advanced night repair for my face rash, don’t know why it works for me but it does. Our family practitioners would just suggest using hydrocortisone cream.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goldberry said:

I have been keeping my hair up in a ponytail, because although I want to hide it did seem to aggravate it. And yes I do wear glasses.

Vaseline behind your ears and on your neck if you have any at home. If not, apply any moisturizer you trust in a thicker layer than usual. The collar from sweaters, coats and pullovers can aggravate the neck rash. Cold cucumber slices are nice for lessening the itch when you are home from work.

Edited by Arcadia
autocorrect
  • Thanks 1

Go get it seen.

I have been dealing with something strangely similar, started the same way, in the same spot on my neck though no blisters or crust (it is similar enough that I showed DH your post, though!). I went to urgent care. Steroid cream — Rx — has really helped.

UC or your doc can rule out shingles, send off a culture, start you on antivirals or antibiotics if needed, and give you an antifungal and/or steroid cream if those might help. Also, they could start you on oral steroid. 

May it go away quickly!

• Like 1

Went to the doctor, antihistamines and steroids. Doctor thinks it was the shampoo. The full story behind that is that I had used it a couple of times when visiting my dad in Texas and it made my scalp kind of itchy. This time because I had multiple exposures he thinks it set off a pretty severe reaction. Although the rash is on my face and neck not on my scalp, but he said that's because the skin is more thin on your face. Thanks Hive!

Edited by goldberry
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Update 3 weeks in: Oral steroids and Benadryl did nothing. Went to dermatologist who gave kenalog shot and Clobetasol cream. 2 weeks after got it under control (itching decreased, existing spots healing over) BUT new spots still appearing (although smaller and not as itchy) on arms, waist, an most recently legs.

I'm worried I have not identified the allergen since I'm still getting new spots. All spot areas are covered by clothes, where clothes would rub against (except face/neck which I was guessing sheets). I have changed detergents and soaps, washed sheets towels and clothes multiple times. No lotions or creams at all for three weeks except some CeraVe for excema cream.

Can you develop an allergy to fibers? What else should I look for? Doc didn't think food allergy due to presentation.

• Sad 3

Oh no. Do you have an allergist you could see? I think I’d be going back in to a doc.

I am so sorry, that sounds miserable!

ETA: Do you take any sort of antihistamine daily? I went through a period of frequent hives, and was convinced it was an allergy. After going through elimination diets, and changing detergents, I donated all of my pajamas — thinking it was the fibers or something. Eventually I was diagnosed with MCAS. Zyrtec daily helps, for a start (I think there’s more you can do). I don’t know if that might apply to you, but maybe look up mast cell activation and see if it fits?

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Oh no. Do you have an allergist you could see? I think I’d be going back in to a doc.

I am so sorry, that sounds miserable!

ETA: Do you take any sort of antihistamine daily? I went through a period of frequent hives, and was convinced it was an allergy. After going through elimination diets, and changing detergents, I donated all of my pajamas — thinking it was the fibers or something. Eventually I was diagnosed with MCAS. Zyrtec daily helps, for a start (I think there’s more you can do). I don’t know if that might apply to you, but maybe look up mast cell activation and see if it fits?

I've been taking Zyrtec plus two Benadryl at bedtime since it started. I'll look up MCAS!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Fortunately it is nowhere near miserable as when I first started. Like I said the kenalog shot and cream seem to be keeping it under control. Under control but not gone, and still getting spots. That's why I'm concerned when the kenalog shot wears off is it going to blow up again. 😩

Edited by goldberry
  • Sad 1

I would consider asking for a referral for autoimmune issues. Some have skin involvement, including some rare ones.

MCAS is a possibility too. Zyrtec does nothing for me and makes me sleepy. I’m better off with Allegra (and take multiple doses under physician guidance). For most any allergic reaction, adding in an H2 blocker (Pepcid) also helps a bit. 

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, goldberry said:

Can you develop an allergy to fibers?

Do you have any sateen or silk pillowcases or bedsheets? Both my kids have my sensitive skin and sateen pillowcases has helped with DS19’s face rash. He also has sateen bedsheets. His look more like heat/chafing rash on his trunk area so moisturizers helps.  

6 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Do you have any sateen or silk pillowcases or bedsheets? Both my kids have my sensitive skin and sateen pillowcases has helped with DS19’s face rash. He also has sateen bedsheets. His look more like heat/chafing rash on his trunk area so moisturizers helps.  

Yes I already use that. 

8 minutes ago, goldberry said:

Yes I already use that. 

My DS19 is allergic to my neighbors’ dryer fumes. It was when we closed the dining room window which is near to the fumes and his rashes went away that we figured the dryer fumes was one of the triggers. We use wool dryer balls as some of us are allergic to dryer sheets. Now we just walk very fast in the common corridor to our home if my neighbors are doing laundry. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1