Menu

So I wanted to share a new thing I’m trying in my skincare routine

Indigo Blue

This is something I wanted to share for people who don’t wear foundation and have a hard time with white cast from sunscreen. 🌞

I tried mineral based sunscreen yesterday (after cleansing and moisturizing), and then put a light layer of tinted sunscreen over the untinted sunscreen. It worked very nicely.

The problem has been not being able to find a tinted mineral based sunscreen that I like well enough to use alone whether it not be the right shade, too expensive, too oily, or don’t like some of the ingredients, etc. 

The Thinksport works pretty well for the face, not being a shiny finish. So, it’s not Elta or MD Solar Sciences, but it is very very good for the price and for being suitable for the face as compared to most whole body sunscreens. 

So, it’s moisturize with a dewy cream, add a light layer of Nivea German version, light blot, let dry, then Think Sport, then a very light layer of Raw Elements stick. Just enough to tamper down the white cast. It gives a very slight warm toned, bronzed effect….very slight….and white cast is gone. Another light blot. Done. 

The result is enough hydration for my over 50 skin, a slight bronzing effect, NO shine, and no white cast. The no shine for such dry skin needs was tricky, but this works! 

I’ve been dealing with ghost face for so long. This works and it looks totally sheer and natural. 

You could use just about any tinted sunscreen because you only use such a small amount. The Raw Elements is quite dark, but it blends in perfectly to my skin tone. I’m very fair. Rubbing more spf over the first layer doesn’t really  disturb or remove any protection. So I like that. 

So this is just my skin care tip of the day…..for people who don’t wear foundation over their sunscreen and have problems with white cast. My face looks so much warmer and natural now. 

Here it all is. The pump bottle is just what I wash my eyes/lashes with. The next one is oil based cleanser, then Cetaphil Shea butter cream (I repurposed the container from a different Cetaphil formula that I didn’t like), and Nivea. Lastly, Think Sport and the tinted stick. 

IMG_2042.thumb.jpeg.daa4be32513c9f735d12de261313dcb6.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for sharing! I have been wanting to try something new. I'm out of everything except my moisturizers, so this is perfect timing.

eta: is the Think Sport tinted? 

Edited by popmom

5 minutes ago, popmom said:

Thank you for sharing! I have been wanting to try something new. I'm out of everything except my moisturizers, so this is perfect timing.

eta: is the Think Sport tinted? 

Oh, no. Just the stick. I use the non tinted first, then just enough of the tinted to cancel out the white cast. It doesn’t work too well for me to only use tinted by itself. I do think that Thinksport does make a tinted one, though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, regentrude said:

I have a hard time putting one thing on my face... four layers? Never gonna happen here, lol

I don’t really want to, but I need the extra moisture. The Nivea has mineral oil which I need, but the Cetaphil soaks in and plumps. Then two sunscreens because one hides the white cast. Anyway, just ‘splainin’ myself, lol. It really isn’t that bad. 

4 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

Isn’t it great to find something that works great for your skin? I have been using Cōtz Flawless Complexion (fair tinted mineral) for a few years — I used to be able to buy it at Ulta, but they no longer sell it. (Boo! Now I have to order online.) 

Are you able to compare and contrast this to  Elta MD UV Elementts? Or even the Australian gold botanicals? (It seems like I remember you posting in other skin care threads!). I love, love my Elta MD, but man it’s pricey! I probably won’t ever give it up, but maybe…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Indigo Blue said:

…The Nivea has mineral oil which I need, …

Not anymore, unless they have more than one formulation. The last tin I picked up has hydrogenated rapeseed oil and I think maybe shea butter. I think the Mexican version has mineral oil though.

15 minutes ago, bibiche said:

Not anymore, unless they have more than one formulation. The last tin I picked up has hydrogenated rapeseed oil and I think maybe shea butter. I think the Mexican version has mineral oil though.

They do have more than one formulation. Unless it’s changed, it has mineral oil but no petrolatum. It sinks in rather than sits on top of your skin. 

Just now, Indigo Blue said:

They do have more than one formulation. Unless it’s changed, it has mineral oil but no petrolatum. It sinks in rather than sits on top of your skin. 

More than the German and Mexican ? I didn’t know that. It’s true that I didn’t get the last one in Germany but a different European country. I was surprised, because I’d gotten the regular old one in another country the month before.

5 minutes ago, bibiche said:

More than the German and Mexican ? I didn’t know that. It’s true that I didn’t get the last one in Germany but a different European country. I was surprised, because I’d gotten the regular old one in another country the month before.

The German one is the one I’m talking about. Unless they have changed it since my last order, it has mineral oil in it. (Pariffinum liquidum). I hope they don’t change it! I don’t see any rapeseed oil listed on mine. On the back of my tin, it says made in Hamburg. 

12 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

The German one is the one I’m talking about. Unless they have changed it since my last order, it has mineral oil in it. (Pariffinum liquidum). I hope they don’t change it! I don’t see any rapeseed oil listed on mine. On the back of my tin, it says made in Hamburg. 

Yup, mine is made in Germany too. I got it recently. Odd.

4 hours ago, mmasc said:

Are you able to compare and contrast this to  Elta MD UV Elementts? Or even the Australian gold botanicals? (It seems like I remember you posting in other skin care threads!). I love, love my Elta MD, but man it’s pricey! I probably won’t ever give it up, but maybe…

I do love skin care stuff! 

Australian Gold was my go-to for several years. I liked it, but I seemed to be getting clogged pores from it.  I switched to Cōtz a few years ago when AG was getting harder to find in the light shade. When I switched, the texture of my skin improved.  (Could’ve been the switch or could’ve been age/hormones…?)  Cotz Flawless Complexion doesn’t feel as heavy as AG, nor does it have as much tint, imo. The tint literally just counters any white cast (for me, anyway — I’m fair to light).  But since I use powder foundation over it, that’s fine.  For a while I used Cōtz Prime and Protect — it’s heavier and definitely silicone-y. Definitely has that primer-feel and the tint is heavier/slightly darker. But I’m cheap and you get double the product with Flawless Complexion, so that’s what I stuck with. (Their website has a tiny sample set of 4 sunscreens for $10. It’s worth trying if you’re curious.)

I’m pretty sure I tried a few Elta MD but I can’t remember which specifically. There are several that get recommended. That said, I must’ve not loved it because I moved on to other things. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, regentrude said:

Why is mineral oil preferable?

I’ve used lots of oils, such as olive, jojoba, etc. They are fine. Personally I’ve come to find that mineral oil is better at protecting the skin barrier and the moisture lasts much longer. It’s very oily and is for very dry skin. Petrolatum just sits on top of your skin and doesn’t soak in. It’s good for preventing transepidermal water loss, but it feels unpleasant and may contain impurities. Mineral oil is one of the key ingredients in many bougie and expensive face creams. 

8 hours ago, regentrude said:

I have a hard time putting one thing on my face... four layers? Never gonna happen here, lol

Same. Makes me feel like I am suffocating

I am allergic to sunscreen. I break out in millions of  blisters and my skin balloons and weeps.

I just cover up when in the sun and avoid going out in the hottest part of the day

6 hours ago, mmasc said:

These are the same three brands we use for faces here (meaning the Cotz mineral as well). We use a different Elta MD mineral one, not the elements. Not sure what the difference is. I feel like the Cotz is the most matte of them, which makes me feel like it might be more drying than the others but not sure that’s actually true. It probably has the nicest finish though. Even my dh can use the Australian Gold Botanicals tinted on his face because it doesn’t leave any white cast or makeup-y look. I never had luck getting him to use daily sunscreen on his face until that one (he’ll still only do so in summer though).  It comes in three shades. 

eta: I’m low maintenance for skin care: wash and sunscreen. 

Edited by KSera
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am pretty lazy about skincare, but I try. The sicca syndrome of my AI disease sort of forces me to. 

I have been using a skincare line that I feel like has made a significant difference in how my skin "behaves", and I'm much less dependent on oils or other occlusive moisturizers. So I went to the website today, and it looks like they have discontinued their body serum and lotion! I am going to cry if that is true. Maybe it's a website glitch. 😞 They still have the face products available.

It's Renue By Science. The stuff has NAD+, resveratrol, apocynin, methylene blue, Glutathione, NMN and NR...

Before I started using their stuff, I had to use Vanicream ointment nearly every day on my legs or they were uncomfortably dry and super flaky. I was so skeptical of the Renue products when I first received them because they feel so light compared to the Vanicream products. So at first I used the Renue stuff and put the Vanicream on top of it. Then one day I figured out I didn't need the Vanicream any more. And I could go a few days without even putting the stuff on! No flaking, no itching. 

I am seriously going to ugly cry if they stopped making the body serum/lotions. I just emailed the company about it.

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1