Menu

Well-trained Bodies February 2024

Ali in OR

I'm not seeing a new thread so here goes.

Hmmm...I have not lost the holiday weight yet. Too much stress eating. Trying to stop that and I'm actually looking forward to Lent starting on 2/14 when I cut out the sweets. I'm also trying to not eat after 6:30 pm to see if that helps with digestive issues interrupting sleep.

Fitbymik dumbbell workout today.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@Ali in OR Thanks for starting the new month! All the best with your Lenten journey!

I've been really enjoying my daily strength and stretch work-out! It's pretty amazing how adding it into my lunch-time routine has energized my day. Why was I so lazy for so long? 😉 Oh well, at least I'm hooked on this new routine now. 

The daily dog walks are also a necessary part of my day now. It just feels weird when I can't go. And tennis 3-4 times a week is just right!

Got in the morning dog walk today, and there's evening ladies doubles tennis later on.

• Like 6

TKD class this evening. And I remembered to press "Start." My heart rate got up to 160bpm, so that's pretty good for me, I think. It was the intermediate class, so there was sparring. I sparred my youngest two children, which was a little weird.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I went to the gym yesterday and worked pretty hard. Today I had PT in the morning for my knee and then gyrotonics this afternoon. The instructor gave a little extra time today because she didn’t have any classes afterward. With arthritis riddling my spine and other joints I am so grateful for the way this particular exercise moves the spine in so many ways. There’s also a constant emphasis on core strength that I find really helpful. 

• Like 5

@Eos Cool photo! The snow on the trees looks really wild! Is that effect from your camera or something special in the weather causing it?

I got in a second dog walk and 2 hrs of tennis in the late afternoon and evening. It was raining, which is going to mess up all the lovely snow we have. 

• Like 6

@Ali in OR thanks for starting February. @Eos lovely picture.

I'm walking and stretching but not getting anywhere. I'm going back to the physio on Monday, and talking to the doctor on Tuesday.

Today - walk from home to a local National Trust property,  then around the garden there. The weather is warm and dry but pretty windy.

The Snowdrops and Winter Aconites are out in the grounds - a bit early for Snowdrops in Scotland. 

20240202_142818.jpg

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

No intentional exercise today, but I made I don't know how many trips upstairs to the attic to put away Christmas stuff. I usually end up forgetting a few items, but this year, I think I got it all.....except for the Christmas Mad Libs peeking out at me from a random basket of books. Sigh.

• Like 5

Yesterday was stacking wood and shredding shingles.  Today I'm going to visit ds so maybe a quick walk with him, hopefully.  I've been achieving my 6 cups of veggies per day and it makes such a difference in how I feel.

• Like 5

On 2/2/2024 at 5:00 AM, Eos said:

It's frozen snow.  

That much I recognized. 😅 The amount and shape of the snow on the branches is what stood out to me. The shapes of the snow on the tree limbs are smooth and very abundunt, which made me think that perhaps the air is particularly humid. You're in Maine, right? The snow on fir trees in my region is of a drier climate doesn't tend to accumulate as much on the trees as it's drier and falls off before it accumulates.  

IMG_20220225_142547473.thumb.jpg.85acc27bc04137e7034244d133150704.jpg

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 6

Loving the pictures. We've had warm temps that feel spring-like. And now I check my watch and see that it's currently 34°! But beautifully sunny, high still a warmish 54. Back to the 40's and rain in the coming week. I think today is the day to finish taking down the Christmas lights (I purposely leave them up during the darkest days of January and then wait for a dry weekend to take them down).

Day 10 of 30 days of yoga was a good fit for me this morning. Working on eating better the last couple of days and will continue that this weekend (it's actually easier on weekends).

• Like 6

I filled in at mixed doubles tennis for a friend last night, which was fun, but now I have to play 1.5 hrs of singles tennis and my body is feeling a little sore and sluggish. I even did some very gentle stretching this morning. Hopefully I'll liven up once I get out on the court. 😉 

Got in a morning dog walk in the woods with dh in the sunshine! It's always a treat to have bright sun in winter! 😊

• Like 6

Belt testing was today. It was held at a larger venue than the dojo. The minute I stepped onto the mat (before it actually started), I forgot both of my patterns for a few minutes. I did poorly with my testing pattern and got discombobulated because the rest of the students were doing it so fast. This pattern took me weeks to learn (as opposed to the first pattern, which I had down after about a week.) I did get my new belt. And the black belts told me everyone gets nerves sometimes and to focus I what I know and to do my own thing at testing regardless of what everyone else is doing.

After testing, there was a class with a 5-stripe black belt for anyone who was interested. I was the lowest ranking belt to participate. The class kind of covered a little of everything. Sparring was a workout! I also had a chance to ask him about practicing at home, and he gave me and my family some good tips. Overall, it was a good day, even though I was really disappointed with my performance. I guess it just means I have to work harder.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, wintermom said:

That much I recognized. 😅 

When I first wrote that I almost wrote "it's frozen fog" which sounded too weird but it's overlaid on snow if that makes sense.  It's not really rime ice, just closely held and hardened snow, so I think you are exactly right about the humidity.  Love your picture!

Yesterday I had a 4 mile walk in the city with ds which was fun and cold.

Edited by Eos
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, knitgrl said:

Belt testing was today. It was held at a larger venue than the dojo. The minute I stepped onto the mat (before it actually started), I forgot both of my patterns for a few minutes. I did poorly with my testing pattern and got discombobulated because the rest of the students were doing it so fast. This pattern took me weeks to learn (as opposed to the first pattern, which I had down after about a week.) I did get my new belt. And the black belts told me everyone gets nerves sometimes and to focus I what I know and to do my own thing at testing regardless of what everyone else is doing.

After testing, there was a class with a 5-stripe black belt for anyone who was interested. I was the lowest ranking belt to participate. The class kind of covered a little of everything. Sparring was a workout! I also had a chance to ask him about practicing at home, and he gave me and my family some good tips. Overall, it was a good day, even though I was really disappointed with my performance. I guess it just means I have to work harder.

(hugs) don't be too hard on yourself. I have 2 kids with blackbelts and another almost there everybody has a bad testing now and again. Nerves just get to you, it isn't necessarily because you didn't know it. I've seen plenty of times kids blow something I know they know.

On 2/1/2024 at 9:51 AM, wintermom said:

@Ali in OR Thanks for starting the new month! All the best with your Lenten journey!

I've been really enjoying my daily strength and stretch work-out! It's pretty amazing how adding it into my lunch-time routine has energized my day. Why was I so lazy for so long? 😉 Oh well, at least I'm hooked on this new routine now. 

The daily dog walks are also a necessary part of my day now. It just feels weird when I can't go. And tennis 3-4 times a week is just right!

Got in the morning dog walk today, and there's evening ladies doubles tennis later on.

On 2/1/2024 at 8:50 AM, Ali in OR said:

I'm not seeing a new thread so here goes.

Hmmm...I have not lost the holiday weight yet. Too much stress eating. Trying to stop that and I'm actually looking forward to Lent starting on 2/14 when I cut out the sweets. I'm also trying to not eat after 6:30 pm to see if that helps with digestive issues interrupting sleep.

Fitbymik dumbbell workout today.

I'm with you on the stress eating. Blech. There have been some rough days in there but every meal is a new chance, every day a fresh start. I noticed I sleep better when I don't eat anything too heavy too late- especially if it is carby. Best wishes for your Lenten resolutions! I might join you this year, goodness knows I need to. 

On 2/1/2024 at 6:44 PM, Harriet Vane said:

I went to the gym yesterday and worked pretty hard. Today I had PT in the morning for my knee and then gyrotonics this afternoon. The instructor gave a little extra time today because she didn’t have any classes afterward. With arthritis riddling my spine and other joints I am so grateful for the way this particular exercise moves the spine in so many ways. There’s also a constant emphasis on core strength that I find really helpful. 

Great job on the hard work! 

On 2/2/2024 at 9:52 AM, Laura Corin said:

@Ali in OR thanks for starting February. @Eos lovely picture.

I'm walking and stretching but not getting anywhere. I'm going back to the physio on Monday, and talking to the doctor on Tuesday.

Today - walk from home to a local National Trust property,  then around the garden there. The weather is warm and dry but pretty windy.

The Snowdrops and Winter Aconites are out in the grounds - a bit early for Snowdrops in Scotland. 

I was just thinking about you and the injury. I thought that was coming up soon. I hope that they are some help to you.

I noticed some flowers trying to pop up here but I'm hoping they don't pop up too soon.

On 2/3/2024 at 7:49 AM, Eos said:

Yesterday was stacking wood and shredding shingles.  Today I'm going to visit ds so maybe a quick walk with him, hopefully.  I've been achieving my 6 cups of veggies per day and it makes such a difference in how I feel.

That sounds like a good functional workout. ITA about the veggies!

On 2/1/2024 at 9:51 AM, wintermom said:

LOL I've had those moments too but I think there are times when certain exercise feels right. It is also easier to get out of routine then into it. Once you are in the habit it is considerably more pleasant, getting there is the hard part.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Weekly/Monthly Wrap-Up- 

My average step per day increased by 1,125 in January over December. I hit my second-highest month since I got this watch in July. 

I've consistently done strength training at least twice a week since the beginning of the year. I'm feeling very positive that I've finally healed enough that I can keep with this- although I'm still cautious.

Last week I started Caroline Girvan's Ultimate Beginner strength program- it is full body three times a week- around 30 minutes (40 with the warm-up). I did Day 1 of Week 2 this morning.

I'm doing some mobility work every day. On strength days the warm-up is 10 minutes of lovely mobility and I'll add in various moves throughout the day. On rest days I try to get in longer sessions. I try to at least do my hip flexors before bed because they are my problem area.

I finished January with 50.25 hours of outside time and last week I had 16.75.

Food has been up and down between stress and hormones. Onwards and upwards- I keep striving to do better. I'm primarily focusing on lots of protein for satiety and muscle growth and lots of veggies for all those nutrients, phytochemicals, and that good for us fiber. 

I finished the book- Built to Move it has some great suggestions that I've been working on incorporating into my day. 

I started the audiobook on Outlive it is about health and longevity and specifically what things to do to avoid the primary killers of cancer, heart disease, diabetes, and alzheimer's/cognitive decline. It is dense reading. I'm listening now to the action suggestions. I'm on the exercise section now.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Eos said:

When I first wrote that I almost wrote "it's frozen fog" which sounded too weird but it's overlaid on snow if that makes sense.  It's not really rime ice, just closely held and hardened snow, so I think you are exactly right about the humidity.  Love your picture!

Frozen fog makes sense to me! 😅 I had to google 'rime ice' as I've never experienced that before, either. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, knitgrl said:

Great job for perservering and passing the test!! I found that the first 5 patterns were the hardest to learn and memorize, because most of the movements are new and there is a lot to learn. The later patterns only introduce a couple new movements, so they are easier, plus by then you've had hundreds more reps of the first patterns and muscle memory helps you out a lot. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The singles tennis went really well yesterday! It was a ton of fun, but much harder on the body than doubles. Today I had 2 hrs of hard hitting doubles, which was super fun as well. My body really needs some good rest and recovery now. 😉 

I got in a morning dog walk in the woods today, and I'll do some relaxing yoga this afternoon. 

• Like 5

I ate all the veg yesterday and walked for 2.5 hours.  Today is going to snow and sleet, so I'm going to go get a membership for the gym at a local hotel that allows folks to do memberships in the winter. Hiking friend and I walked along an ocean path and a road.  I forgot my phone for pictures but the ocean was crazy blue and sparkling, the sky was too, and the blustery wind was making it feel like about 10 degrees.

Does anyone have am "arms" workout they love?  I've signed up for something in early April that will require arm strength and that's the hardest one for me to know how to do on my own.

Edited: I found some "fitbymik" standing arms so will try those.

Edited by Eos
  • Like 5

30 min on the treadmill this morning (only because dh had an early zoom meeting and had to wake up early enough for me to able to use the treadmill).

@Eos I use fitbymik standing dumbbell workouts, usually the full-body ones but I've done arms a few times. It's certainly a place to start.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Went for a nice dog walk this morning, and then had 2 hrs of fast paced tennis. Lots of fun. 

I'm keeping up with my stretch and strength work, almost daily. This is a little like how I'm feeling about my push-ups now, though. It would be more fun to watch someone do them. 😉 

image.png.6144b14be72ecdc04f35238f0ee497ee.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 2/5/2024 at 10:14 AM, Ali in OR said:

@Eos I use fitbymik standing dumbbell workouts, usually the full-body ones but I've done arms a few times. It's certainly a place to start.

Thanks - I did one of them day before yesterday plus one of her abs ones and I'm going to do more, I liked them.

Yesterday I walked for an hour but today I finally got out skating!  Two laps around the pond was a great first day for me.

IMG_20240207_143245.jpg

• Like 6

Monday, I went to TKD class and started learning the new pattern. Yesterday, I practiced my pattern for quite a bit and then went outside for a 20 minute walk because it was so sunny. This evening I plan on lifting weights.

• Like 5

Yesterday I did nothing except go get my neck ironed out. I hadn't exercised before the appointment and I didn't want to wreck the adjustment afterward, so rest was best.

Today I went to the gym first thing and had a solid weights/core workout. It was tougher than usual because there was a group of people just sitting on some equipment, chatting and enjoying. I didn't need that equipment and I don't begrudge friends relaxing together--it was just rough because they were facing my space, and my introverted self was all too aware of being seen and I shriveled up inside. It was a fight not to run from the room, lol. But I toughed it out and honestly, my form was probably better because of the supposed audience. 

• Like 5

Still walking and stretching.  I think there is progress after my physio appointment on Monday.  And I have stronger drugs for night time.

Averaging three walks a day, around 14,000 steps. I'm not so tired - I'm  more used to standing for the full work day. Sitting has been too painful.

• Like 6

@Laura Corin Glad you're seeing some progress! Great job with the walking!!

I got in 2 nice dog walks in the woods today, and now I'm heading to play tennis for 2 hrs. Should be fun!

Dh was inspired by my new routine of stretching and strength exercises, and asked to join my yesterday. He's going to try and build it into his day now, too! It helps to have support at home. 😉 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Still walking daily. Have had one day since the beginning of the year where I didn't make 10000 steps due to having to drive people all day. But so far so good. We'll see how it goes once it gets colder (although it was 12 degrees celsius/ 53 fahrenheit this week which is crazy for this time of year - usually Feb is the hottest). Trying to do stretches daily as I have hip pain, but I need to work out how to integrate into my day. I  do an hour's drive (big kid to school) then work/homeschooling then hour's drive to pick up kid. Super tired this week but hopefully will get used to it. 

• Like 7

I have absolutely nothing positive to report, except that I’m trying to accept that I need to get back on the proverbial horse.

I had a rotten nightmare the other night that I lived in a house with many flights of stairs and I was too out of shape to reach my kids just one floor up. And it’s legit. The 2x/wk I have to go to school, it’s on the 2nd floor. And I need a sec to catch my breath. 😞 

I’ve been in pretty good shape many times. I know I can again. I just need to shut up and do it. Hoping to make this the month!

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

I have absolutely nothing positive to report, except that I’m trying to accept that I need to get back on the proverbial horse.

I had a rotten nightmare the other night that I lived in a house with many flights of stairs and I was too out of shape to reach my kids just one floor up. And it’s legit. The 2x/wk I have to go to school, it’s on the 2nd floor. And I need a sec to catch my breath. 😞 

I’ve been in pretty good shape many times. I know I can again. I just need to shut up and do it. Hoping to make this the month!

That is great you have the motivation to get back in the saddle! What is your plan for doing that?

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, knitgrl said:

That is great you have the motivation to get back in the saddle! What is your plan for doing that?

😅 Finding a consecutive 30-45 minutes in my day without giving up sleep! I’m forever hopping from one thing to the next  

I have an awesome gym in my basement. I just need to arrange my mornings better.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

You can do it! Just start with ten minutes. For me, promising myself I only have to do a quick ten often means I will do more. And if I don’t do more than ten, who cares. I met the goal of a quick ten and that is worth celebrating.

• Like 6

20 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

😅 Finding a consecutive 30-45 minutes in my day without giving up sleep! I’m forever hopping from one thing to the next  

I have an awesome gym in my basement. I just need to arrange my mornings better.

Welcome back! I agree with @Harriet Vane I'd start with a smaller goal. Even just 10-15 minutes twice a week is a great start. I've had a hard time reestablishing strength training since my injury that is what I started back with- 10 minutes 2-3 times a week. Even then at first I made the workout too difficult and found myself dreading it so I dialed back intensity too. Now I'm doing around 40 minutes 3 times a week of strength and I've arranged that one of those days is on the weekend when I have more free time so it's easier to get in my schedule. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good!

On 2/9/2024 at 4:38 AM, Eos said:

Yesterday I skated for two hours in glorious sunshine on glorious ice, then took an hour walk with dh. Hoping for another skate today before the rain.

That sounds fun! We don't have ice skating here but it sounds fun.

On 2/9/2024 at 2:46 AM, bookbard said:

Still walking daily. Have had one day since the beginning of the year where I didn't make 10000 steps due to having to drive people all day. But so far so good. We'll see how it goes once it gets colder (although it was 12 degrees celsius/ 53 fahrenheit this week which is crazy for this time of year - usually Feb is the hottest). Trying to do stretches daily as I have hip pain, but I need to work out how to integrate into my day. I  do an hour's drive (big kid to school) then work/homeschooling then hour's drive to pick up kid. Super tired this week but hopefully will get used to it. 

Great job getting in those steps and keeping up the habit.

On 2/8/2024 at 3:10 PM, Laura Corin said:

Still walking and stretching.  I think there is progress after my physio appointment on Monday.  And I have stronger drugs for night time.

Averaging three walks a day, around 14,000 steps. I'm not so tired - I'm  more used to standing for the full work day. Sitting has been too painful.

I'm sorry Laura 😞 Great job with the steps and walking.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

This week for me: 

3 x strength training 40 minutes (warm up and cool down included)

2x pickleball- a bit over an hour each time

Mobility every day

Step goals- 6/7 (technically I haven't met my goal yet today but I will)

I'm not sure how many walks. My watch says I'm at 10.5 hours of exercise this week and I still have today left. My average step count has been 14,000 this week but I had one day with just 6500 steps, one with 19,000, another 27000, and the rest around 10,000. On Tuesday I had 3 walks, an hour of pickleball, and 40 minutes of strength training. I ended the day with 19,000 steps and the next day I felt pretty tired so I only had 6500. Yesterday I had 3 walks but just mobilty in the am and no pickleball so I'm not as fatigued today. I'm just getting back to a heavier exercise schedule and I'm still adjusting. 

I want to add in some higher-intensity cardio one day a week.  I'm thinking I'll try just 10-15 minutes to start since I've not really done that since my injury a year ago.

Today's plans- walks at some point?? dh and I are supposed to walk later and dd2 says she wants to walk- maybe a short HIIT session? Trying to muster the motivation- it's just 10 minutes, right? Mobility

Edited by Soror
  • Like 7

Ugh. I had serious intestinal issues yesterday because of a change in meds. I was really out of it. Today, I am feeling better, though still somewhat tired. I took advantage of the sun and relatively warm weather, and had a 20 minute walk.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

A good exercise day - 17, 000 steps plus starting to clear the kitchen before it is renovated.

This is a big improvement on yesterday, when I had a bad reaction to codeine and after spending 20 minutes on the floor too dizzy to stand,  I felt nauseated for half the day.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

A good exercise day - 17, 000 steps plus starting to clear the kitchen before it is renovated.

This is a big improvement on yesterday, when I had a bad reaction to codeine and after spending 20 minutes on the floor too dizzy to stand,  I felt nauseated for half the day.

Urgh! It's miserable when you take something to help with pain and then end up incapacitated. Great job on the exercise! I'm glad to hear you're able to do more.

On 2/10/2024 at 2:06 PM, knitgrl said:

Ugh. I had serious intestinal issues yesterday because of a change in meds. I was really out of it. Today, I am feeling better, though still somewhat tired. I took advantage of the sun and relatively warm weather, and had a 20 minute walk.

I'm happy to hear you're feeling better.

10 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

I did lotsa legs and knees and balance last night while watching a Poirot mystery. My plan today is to do the same while watching the Superbowl with dh.

I've been trying to make sure I do my mobility work while I watch tv. I need to throw some balance work in too, thanks for the idea.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I did not do any HIIT Saturday but I did get in some mobility and a walk with dh ending with a bit over 14k steps for the day.

Yesterday morning I did full body strength (40 min) a longer walk (6ish miles) and a shorter walk (1.5 ish) along with mobility work (before my workout and in the evening).

I ended yesterday with 25k steps and dh had 30k. He finally got in his Fitbit (health promotion at work he ordered it in December) and he's enjoying watching his steps and heart points rack up. He had to go to work yesterday so was ahead of me when we started our walks. He fell out of the habit of walking with me for a week or two due to weather and homework but we've got back with it this week. We're both anxious to get our endurance up ahead of our Scotland vaca as we have lots and lots of hikes planned. I don't think any of them will be too difficult but doing them back to back will tax us more than we are used to right now. I finally got dh agree to order some trail runners. He's been wearing some cheapo shoes or his heavy waterproof boots and he feels a lot of foot fatigue when we get in more steps. 

Ladies!!! I did a couple of sprints UPHILL yesterday! You know I couldn't even run at all for a long time and my speed uphills has been slightly faster than a turtle. I'm still not at 100% but closer all the time. I'm just so excited to be able to be more active. This last year has been hard. I know I whined terribly about it. Dh told me yesterday that he is going to miss me being injured as he was working hard to keep up with me. (I did ask him if he wanted me to slow down but as we were in a bit of a rush to finish our walk he did not). We tried a different route yesterday from the house. I've only walked a small portion of it before and dh hadn't been on it in 30 years. It had a section with some pretty steep hills so it was a good training and one we will repeat.

I'm not sleeping well at all. (thus why I'm posting in the middle of the night!). I'm not 100% sure why. Ever changing hormones? Increased exercise----> increased cortisol?  I'm not eating enough for increased activity? I'm working on increasing my intake to match my activity level without going too crazy. It's a WIP. Who knows. 

Also, I don't think we will do the mountain 'race' we had planned in May. It is only 3 days before we leave for vaca. Dd1 has prom that day and it costs $300. We had planned to use some Christmas money to fund it but are both upgrading some hiking gear instead. I really like the idea of doing it but it doesn't make sense on a practical level.

• Like 6