Menu

Well-trained Bodies February 2024

Ali in OR

I've been really pleased with the results of my regular stretch and strength exercises I've been doing almost daily for the last 2 weeks. I'm already feeling stronger and my body is less sore after tennis. That's the motivation I need to keep doing it! 😊 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, wintermom said:

I've been really pleased with the results of my regular stretch and strength exercises I've been doing almost daily for the last 2 weeks. I'm already feeling stronger and my body is less sore after tennis. That's the motivation I need to keep doing it! 😊 

Excellent! 

12 hours ago, Soror said:

I did not do any HIIT Saturday but I did get in some mobility and a walk with dh ending with a bit over 14k steps for the day.

Yesterday morning I did full body strength (40 min) a longer walk (6ish miles) and a shorter walk (1.5 ish) along with mobility work (before my workout and in the evening).

I ended yesterday with 25k steps and dh had 30k. He finally got in his Fitbit (health promotion at work he ordered it in December) and he's enjoying watching his steps and heart points rack up. He had to go to work yesterday so was ahead of me when we started our walks. He fell out of the habit of walking with me for a week or two due to weather and homework but we've got back with it this week. We're both anxious to get our endurance up ahead of our Scotland vaca as we have lots and lots of hikes planned. I don't think any of them will be too difficult but doing them back to back will tax us more than we are used to right now. I finally got dh agree to order some trail runners. He's been wearing some cheapo shoes or his heavy waterproof boots and he feels a lot of foot fatigue when we get in more steps. 

Ladies!!! I did a couple of sprints UPHILL yesterday! You know I couldn't even run at all for a long time and my speed uphills has been slightly faster than a turtle. I'm still not at 100% but closer all the time. I'm just so excited to be able to be more active. This last year has been hard. I know I whined terribly about it. Dh told me yesterday that he is going to miss me being injured as he was working hard to keep up with me. (I did ask him if he wanted me to slow down but as we were in a bit of a rush to finish our walk he did not). We tried a different route yesterday from the house. I've only walked a small portion of it before and dh hadn't been on it in 30 years. It had a section with some pretty steep hills so it was a good training and one we will repeat.

I'm not sleeping well at all. (thus why I'm posting in the middle of the night!). I'm not 100% sure why. Ever changing hormones? Increased exercise----> increased cortisol?  I'm not eating enough for increased activity? I'm working on increasing my intake to match my activity level without going too crazy. It's a WIP. Who knows. 

Also, I don't think we will do the mountain 'race' we had planned in May. It is only 3 days before we leave for vaca. Dd1 has prom that day and it costs $300. We had planned to use some Christmas money to fund it but are both upgrading some hiking gear instead. I really like the idea of doing it but it doesn't make sense on a practical level.

Sorry you are not sleeping well. Well done on the running!

I'm still walking and stretching.  I'm hoping to start reducing some drugs. I've made a few mistakes at work - nothing serious,  but annoying. Just trying to balance distraction due to pain against brain fog due to drugs. 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Excellent! 

I'm still walking and stretching.  I'm hoping to start reducing some drugs. I've made a few mistakes at work - nothing serious,  but annoying. Just trying to balance distraction due to pain against brain fog due to drugs. 

I had to deal with this just over a year ago when I had a pinched nerve in my neck. I took gabapentin to help with the terrible pain, but I became an utter space cadet while on it. I lost time due to randomly staring into space. I also lost words--which is not good for someone who writes as much as I do professionally. I felt forced to try it due to the pain but I never want to take it again.

I hope you heal and feel better soon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Excellent! 

I feel your pain. It stinks! 

20 hours ago, wintermom said:

Yes, feeling good is a great motivation.

23 hours ago, Eos said:

I've had a busy weekend so haven't posted but I've done several walks and a four hour hike yesterday in the sun. 

Great job on the walks and hike.

_-----------

I did mobility work and then 2.5 hours of pickleball. Only 15 minutes outside and a bit if walking since weather was icky.

In other good news Im not completely terrible at pickleball now. I have been the worst player every time I go (even if there were newbies. Most would give up if they have my lack of athleticism!)since I started but yesterday I was better than a couple! I can hang in there ok with most of the players now. I'm not as good but can return a lot more shots than I could and it's pretty rare I fumble a serve. I'm also not letting the nerves get to me as bad.

Since I'm able to run again I sprint after balls when they go off. I got my heart rate up plenty and ended the day with 18+k steps.

Today;

Full body strength and mobility

I think I can get in pickleball too and will probably get at least one walk.

• Like 5

Yesterday - ended with 21k steps and 2.5 hours outside 

strength training and mobility 40 minutes total and more mobility before bed

2 mile walk in the am and about 2.5 in the evening

1 hour + pickleball- 

Today - longer mobility + foam rolling session and some walking

I've found that it's not just tightness in my right hip flexor but also the IT band. Foam rolling is helping that. Im doing some rolling on the hip flexor but it responds to the stretching better. 

• Like 6

Yesterday ended up being a fitbymyk 30 minute HIIT workout, but I do use the low impact moves. 

It's blustery outside today and I want to go walk, I'm having a hard time motivating.  I will bundle up and go.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, knitgrl said:

Today has been really sunny, but really windy and cold. I went out and had a 20 minute walk, which is about all my ears could stand, even with a wool hat on.

You did better than me!  I just couldn't face the wind.  I did do three different online workouts, though, and they all felt good.

• Like 5

On 2/12/2024 at 4:05 PM, Harriet Vane said:

I had to deal with this just over a year ago when I had a pinched nerve in my neck. I took gabapentin to help with the terrible pain, but I became an utter space cadet while on it. I lost time due to randomly staring into space. I also lost words--which is not good for someone who writes as much as I do professionally. I felt forced to try it due to the pain but I never want to take it again.

On 2/12/2024 at 3:45 PM, Laura Corin said:

🤔 I was out of it it when I first started on gabapentin. I felt like I adjusted to it after a little while but now that I've been off it awhile I feel a lot more with it and have way more energy. I feel like myself again. Now, I'm wondering if I wasn't as adjusted to it as I thought??? Now I'm just dealing with stupid hormones and a bit of residual issues with my hip.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, knitgrl said:

Today has been really sunny, but really windy and cold. I went out and had a 20 minute walk, which is about all my ears could stand, even with a wool hat on.

2 hours ago, Eos said:

You did better than me!  I just couldn't face the wind.  I did do three different online workouts, though, and they all felt good.

Some days are like that! Im not a fan of walking with the cold wind blowing in my face!

_------____

30 minutes of mobility yesterday

3 mile am walk+ 4 mile hike in the evening for Vday- an easy pace for both.

Today's plan is strength, mobility and walk.

Pickleball this afternoon. 

• Like 4

No walk yesterday but I did get 1.5 hours of pickleball outside. I ended the day with 2.5 hours outside time and right at 12,000 steps

Today:

Longer mobility (30 minutes) in the am and a short session in the evening + a morning walk

We've got a cold front coming with possible winter weather so that's probably it for today. 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

Fitbymik dumbbell workout this morning.

Me too!  Thanks for suggesting these.

Yesterday I did a 5 mile walk early then about 2 miles of fast hiking up and down, burning off some irritation. Today is blustery again, I'm planning some house cleaning interspersed with workout videos.

• Like 5

Glorious weather this morning. I took a ten mile walk - not very interesting country but I chose it for being level and an easy surface.

A bit of history on the way - WWII anti-tank defences, and a 19th century ice house where ice from local ponds was stored to preserve locally caught fish that was shipped south 

20240216_104501.jpg

20240216_114542.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I skipped the gym on Wednesday and my Thursday gyro session was cancelled due to the instructor's family emergency. To my shame I didn't substitute with anything productive--I've been pushing hard on a work deadline and am struggling with sleep deprivation all week. I gave up last night and got a decent night's sleep, then went to the gym first thing this morning. I did a solid weights and core sequence and felt much better for it. 

• Like 6

I got 30 min on the treadmill yesterday then Day 14 of 30 Days of Yoga this morning (and it was a longer one). I am now within a half pound of my pre-winter break weight. It's crazy how quickly and easily I gain a few pounds and how long and hard it is to get them back off. Lenten sweets fast has begun and I'm not eating after dinner (still have to remind myself of this) which seems to help me sleep better.

• Like 6

Rather a grey day.  5.5 mile walk but I developed a blister. My boot is letting in water and causing friction.  Not ideal just before my trip to Malta. It shouldn't be too wet there though, and I'll mostly wear trainers rather than boots.

Time for new boots  - these have lasted me six years and have been resoled once.

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Rather a grey day.  5.5 mile walk but I developed a blister. My boot is letting in water and causing friction.  Not ideal just before my trip to Malta. It shouldn't be too wet there though, and I'll mostly wear trainers rather than boots.

Time for new boots  - these have lasted me six years and have been resoled once.

I "liked" your post but I'm sorry about the blister, that is worrisome so close to your trip. Hope it resolves soon! Those little doughnut-shaped moleskin pads are my go-to, do you have those there?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hello all,  I'm still doing pretty much the same lifting heavy and getting my steps in.

Just a side note.  Those of you that are about a certain age and remember when we did aerobics and had to march in place to check your pulse and check that number on a chart to check your heart rate.....well today I was doing an old step aerobics video I use to do back in the 1990's and my age isn't represented in the chart😕. (I am off the chart by 2 years)Um talk about feeling old.......  But the bright side I can still keep up with the workout.😌

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Oh no! Do you have moleskin there? Here's hoping it is healed before your trip. It sounds like you've got your money's worth out of those boots. 

-----------------------------

Weekly wrap-up: 

18 hrs exercise (no wonder I was absolutely starving by Friday!); 

average- 17,5xx steps per day- low of 12k and high of 25k

Outside time- I think around 10?  I was very busy and the weather was a bit icky so not as much.

3 full body strength sessions; mobility of some sort every day - 30 min session on 2 days- at least 10 minutes on strength days

pickleball- 3 times- 2.5 hours; 1 + hour, 1.5 hr

• Like 4

I did a pretty 3 miles over snow yesterday in the late afternoon, loved the pink and soft blue-gray of approaching sunset.  Also an arms workout with fitbymyk.  I think I'm ready for heavier weights!

• Like 6

We did a wee bit of school this morning. This afternoon, sil and her daughter came over to sled down our hill in the backyard, so most of this afternoon was spent socializing and making dinner for the family. I am going to book club this evening where our host so kindly feeds us. I did have dd13 help me with working on my new pattern, so that is something. Had to pussy foot my pattern around the cat that was lounging in the middle of the floor and refusing to move.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Knee injection (lubricant) first thing this morning. I don't feel real hopeful about it with the severity of my arthritis. I did it because it's a relatively benign thing to try to gain some time. It wasn't nearly as long or painful as feared, and I'm a bit puffy and stiff and sore now. So I've been laying around with my leg propped up today, with permission to resume gym exercising on Wednesday.

• Like 6

Yesterday I bought some slightly heavier weights at goodwill (5 pounds instead of my 3) and did a half hour video with them, it still felt easy.  I'll be on the lookout for heavier ones. Today I'm heading out for an 8 mile walk, carrying weights in my backpack.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Eos said:

Yesterday I bought some slightly heavier weights at goodwill (5 pounds instead of my 3) and did a half hour video with them, it still felt easy.  I'll be on the lookout for heavier ones. Today I'm heading out for an 8 mile walk, carrying weights in my backpack.

I use my 5 lb weights the most. When Mikaela is using 8's I use 5's for all 2 weight exercises and I can use an 8 for the 1 weight exercises. I find it too difficult to do the lateral out away from the body lifts with anything heavier than 5's--hard on my shoulders. Bicep curls, dead-lifts, squats I'm fine with heavier, but not the lifting the arm out to the side away from the body.

But today was yoga day. Day 15 of 30 days of yoga and hoping for a quick walk with dd this afternoon.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 2/20/2024 at 4:30 AM, Eos said:

We do lots of walks but I only occasionally ruck, just when I need supplies because it's longer. I keep meaning to make this a regular occurrence. Thanks for the motivation. 

I'm still easing back into using weights for my lower body since recovering from my energy. You'll find that generally bigger muscle groups are stronger and you can use heavier weights- so rows, chest, and lower body. Smaller muscle groups like the triceps, biceps, and shoulders you can't use as much.

--------------------------------

Tuesday- full body strength+ mobilty 40 min; 1 hr 45 pickleball; 2 mile walk + 1+ ish mile hike

Today- mobility + walk?? 

I've got to go out of town this afternoon for a kid's appointment so I'll be short on time. I'm planning a walk this morning and maybe another while the kids have activities tonight. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Yesterday I lifted weights, after having neglected them for a few weeks. I am feeling it a little bit today. I also practiced my new pattern with dd13. I plan on going to TKD class this evening, and perhaps a 20 minute walk this afternoon.

Edited by knitgrl
  • Like 5

Travelled to Malta today. The first flight from Edinburgh was late, I missed the connection in Paris and ended up travelling on to Malta via Zurich. Long day, but I made it.

The signage is so poor at Paris CDG Airport that I walked 10, 000 steps to just get reticketed and find my new gate. My back appreciated the exercise though, so it's all good.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Travelled to Malta today. The first flight from Edinburgh was late, I missed the connection in Paris and ended up travelling on to Malta via Zurich. Long day, but I made it.

The signage is so poor at Paris CDG Airport that I walked 10, 000 steps to just get reticketed and find my new gate. My back appreciated the exercise though, so it's all good.

Have a wonderful trip! (we had a terrible time in Paris with signage)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yesterday I helped a friend scrubbing boards that were caked on with 100+ years of barn debris instead of doing any other arms workout, and today I can really feel it.  Will walk or skate today.

• Like 5

I am in Costa Rica, having a wonderful time! I've been going on long, early mornong walks on the beach, ocean swimming in the evening, and relaxing in the hottest part of the day. I am keeping up withmy stretching and strength work most days, too.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2