Menu

Well-trained Bodies February 2024

Ali in OR

17 hours ago, wintermom said:

I am in Costa Rica, having a wonderful time! I've been going on long, early mornong walks on the beach, ocean swimming in the evening, and relaxing in the hottest part of the day. I am keeping up withmy stretching and strength work most days, too.

OK, my mental image of your username is now undergoing a lot of reconstruction.  You, in a bikini and smartwool socks?  Merino base layer and a sundress?  I'm having cognitive dissonance!

@Laura CorinI am green with envy right now.  If I could teleport anywhere and drop in for a few weeks, it would be that street.  

I got in one whole lap of skating on the lake yesterday, lol, and blew off my arms video due to being sore from the day before.  Today I feel good but it's pouring rain - I will still do some arms plus a walk in the rain with my hiking bestie who's back for a few weeks.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Eos said:

OK, my mental image of your username is now undergoing a lot of reconstruction.  You, in a bikini and smartwool socks?  Merino base layer and a sundress?  I'm having cognitive dissonance!

😅 I would be dead from heat wearing wool. I have been managing the high heat and humidity by going outside in the early morning and late afternoon, cooling off in water whever possible. The first couple days were challenging. I am so used to freezing temps. I am loving it here, though!

• Like 4

@wintermom and @Laura Corin I hope you ladies have a wonderful time on your vacations. I bet it is nice for both of you to get away to a sunny locale.

Yesterday- strength + mobility; 1 hr 20 min pickleball;  I think I took a walk lol. I ended the day right at 10k steps.

Today- started with 10 min mobility and 2.5 ish mile walk. Going to the city for dd's appointment and might hit the zoo.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I went to the gym first thing this morning and am really discouraged. My knee is still really puffy and stiff from the lubricant injection. It's actually worse, not better. I pray somehow there's some magical adjustment and it feels magically better soon. As of right now I'm limping heavily and have a house to clean before guests come.

• Sad 4

Wednesday went according to plan. Yesterday, I went to TKD class. My joints are stiff and sore, I think because of a medication change. I'm still a little sore from weights the other day, so my plan is to just have a walk today, as the weather is sunny and warmish.

• Like 4

I'm not on vacation anywhere. Just missing too much exercise time this week with too much school work to do. And stressed a bit because they'll be cutting teachers next year and I have the least seniority if they cut any high school math teachers at any school. So I tell myself if I lose my job then I can just go on a nice vacation. But mostly the worry just causes stress I don't need.

I did a little treadmill Wednesday and Friday. Day 16 yoga this morning.

• Like 6

Yesterday I did a 4 mile summit with a lot of walking on glare ice.  Dh gave me a pair of spikes for my birthday which I love, they make it so easy to travel on ice.  No snowy owls.  It's time to tap trees, though.

• Like 5

Lovely photos Laura!

@wintermom where's your photos?

Weekly wrap-up;

3 days strength; 2 days pickleball; daily mobility of some sort

Several walks- average - 13 k steps with 14 hours exercise and lots of outside time

Today's plan - hike- 6-12? Not sure yet.

Might do strength today not sure.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Nothing yesterday. Today I did a Jessica Smith cardio workout--haven't done one of hers in awhile and it was a nice switch up. I picked this one for the length--25 min. Longer than 20 but a little bit shorter than the 30 min workouts which seem to really be about 32 min. I have time to sit here for a few minutes. We're back to colder rain this week after a few days that felt like spring. There' s even a snowflake on my weather app for Friday and Saturday.

• Like 6

Yesterday- am upperbody strength- 30 min & 6.5ish mile hike+ short mobility. We wanted to do more but I wasn't feeling very spunky with not sleeping well.

Today lower body strength- 30 min & short mobility - should get some pickleball later.

• Like 5

A quick two mile walk with friends then some heavy arms last night.  I'm going to visit my mother and trying to decide if I can haul along my weights.  If I don't I may lose all the progress I've made, so I think I will.

• Like 6

Two walks yesterday for a total of about 5 miles. Today I'm going to visit my mother and I'm committing to staying on course with exercise. I brought one of my weights so will just do everything twice.

• Like 6

Woke up at 4:00 and never fell back asleep. So I got up a little early and did a full 30 min workout--another Jessica Smith. I used to do treadmill 5 days a week but about 4 years ago my shoes were too tight and I got tensor tendonitis. It only hurt if I had a shoe across the top of my foot. So I searched for barefoot exercises and found Jessica's Cardio Ballet--did that one today. Through the process I decided a variety of exercises is better for me than treadmill every day. And I think barefoot exercise keeps my feet a bit healthier--no problems the last 4 years anyway.

Stepped on the scale and I'm down to a pound range I haven't seen since mid-December.

• Like 6

Well, apparently you can't take a weight through airport security, who knew? The guy asked if I wanted to check it but it was a three dollar purchase at goodwill so spending thirty dollars to check it would have been silly.

Today I will go to goodwill and buy another. Yesterday involved some brisk airport walking and that was all.

• Like 6

Yesterday I managed a gentle walk down the lane.  I was so tired of staying still, rotating between bed and chair. Absolutely exhausted after but it was a relief to be moving. 

The sun is shining today so I’m going to head out for a walk again.

The shattering muscle ache is lifting.  This bout with Covid is different from the first one for me. It’s been much rougher this time in terms of typical flu-type symptoms and fatigue. But the first time I had it I experienced genuine breathing distress and ache with every breath. This time I was breathless only on the first day and used my inhaler that day. I assumed I would have to be on the inhaler all week but I haven’t needed it. One major difference this time is Paxlovid—it tastes hideous but perhaps it helped tamp down the wheezing. I will be done with the Paxlovid on Saturday and I hope I feel better then. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

Yesterday I managed a gentle walk down the lane.  I was so tired of staying still, rotating between bed and chair. Absolutely exhausted after but it was a relief to be moving. 

The shattering muscle ache is lifting.  This bout with Covid is different from the first one for me. It’s been much rougher this time in terms of typical flu-type symptoms and fatigue. But the first time I had it I experienced genuine breathing distress and ache with every breath. This time I was breathless only on the first day and used my inhaler that day. I assumed I would have to be on the inhaler all week but I haven’t needed it. One major difference this time is Paxlovid—it tastes hideous but perhaps it helped tamp down the wheezing. I will be done with the Paxlovid on Saturday and I hope I feel better then. 

Hope you recover quickly from COVID. Sounds rough

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I dropped in on this thread because I saw @Harriet Vane had just posted and I’ve been wondering how she’s doing. Who knew there were so many pretty pictures in the exercise thread?!

2 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

The shattering muscle ache is lifting.  

You probably know what I’m going to say, but I can’t help it! Take it easy!! Don’t push your body to exhaustion during Covid. I know it’s frustrating to be down, but I want you to make a full recovery and I worry!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, KSera said:

I dropped in on this thread because I saw @Harriet Vane had just posted and I’ve been wondering how she’s doing. Who knew there were so many pretty pictures in the exercise thread?!

You probably know what I’m going to say, but I can’t help it! Take it easy!! Don’t push your body to exhaustion during Covid. I know it’s frustrating to be down, but I want you to make a full recovery and I worry!

Yes. It's important to rest. Maybe a little gentle stretching instead?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KSera said:

Many thanks. Believe me, I've been mostly rotating between bed and the chair-next-to-the-bed. On Monday and Tuesday we had some unseasonably warm days so I snoozed on the back deck wrapped in blankets. 

The kicker is that my back and my joints really, really need some movement. So I'm not about to go weightlifting, but I do need to keep some movement just to be comfortable, kwim?

Thanks for thinking of me. 😊

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

Yes, that's a good option, too. Probably better than attempting the lane. 

I wish I had stretched when I had Covid in December.  I think my lack of gentle movement set me up for my back injury in January. 

I hope you feel better soon. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Eos said:

Well, apparently you can't take a weight through airport security, who knew? The guy asked if I wanted to check it but it was a three dollar purchase at goodwill so spending thirty dollars to check it would have been silly.

Today I will go to goodwill and buy another. Yesterday involved some brisk airport walking and that was all.

Check out some bodyweight routines for your next travels- that way you can do some strength training without the weights. Nerd Fitness has a a few on their website and it's simple so you can just memorize it.

@Harriet Vane I agree with the ladies, take it easy. I think some stretching and really slow and easy walking is good but not much more. Prayers for a quick recovery.

------------------------------

It's been a icky week. PMS and my period have knocked me down flat. Between busyness and fatigue, I didn't manage much. I eeked out my strength workouts and a tiny bit of mobility but have failed dismally on steps. I have got to get my steps up today my body is revolting. No pickleball this week- inside is closed and we've had terrible winds outside.

Today- some strength & mobility and a walk

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Yesterday I thought it was Friday--treadmill day for me. So I did 16 min on the treadmill (after grading some papers). So today I did a dumbbell workout I should have done yesterday.

We have big fat snowflakes this morning but they melt after a few seconds on the ground. A nippy 34° here.

• Like 6

I bought some weights and went for a five mile walk today, good for keeping my sanity.  Why oh why does my mother tell me things like I should turn the stove burner lower as I'm cooking her dinner, I'm 59, and I've been a professional chef my entire adult life?? You can see I need exercise....

• Like 6

Yesterday I swam ten very slow and careful lengths at the pool. I modified my stroke a bit so that my body rocked more and I twisted less. It felt good. Unfortunately I spent the rest of the morning in the car going to look at flooring - we had hoped to re-sand and seal our kitchen floorboards, but apparently that has been done too often by previous owners and the boards are too thin. Car time is not good. Spent the afternoon doing some kitchen unpacking. Thoroughly tired by bedtime and slept well.

More car time and kitchen unpacking today but I will definitely walk too.

@Soror I'm rather ashamed of myself but in addition to the pain and frustration I am feeling, there's also a kind of grief that I am not as capable physically as I was before Christmas. In the scheme of world suffering this is so minor, but it turns out this was a part of my self image. I'm trying to breathe and accept,  but I watch my colleague go off the the block of yoga classes that I gave her because I can no longer attend and I feel sad. Is image something you dealt with when you were struggling with your fitness, and how?

I saw the doctor this week and am waiting to hear about an MRI. She expects time to be the cure in my case though. I have also contacted Occupational Health at work, because pain is getting in the way of work meetings. They may offer extra physio.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

3 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

@Soror I'm rather ashamed of myself but in addition to the pain and frustration I am feeling, there's also a kind of grief that I am not as capable physically as I was before Christmas. In the scheme of world suffering this is so minor, but it turns out this was a part of my self image. I'm trying to breathe and accept,  but I watch my colleague go off the the block of yoga classes that I gave her because I can no longer attend and I feel sad. Is image something you dealt with when you were struggling with your fitness, and how?

I saw the doctor this week and am waiting to hear about an MRI. She expects time to be the cure in my case though. I have also contacted Occupational Health at work, because pain is getting in the way of work meetings. They may offer extra physio.

Lots of hugs. I hope that the MRI gives you an answer and a path forward. I hope that you do not need surgery but if you do best find that out!

TBH it was very difficult for me. You guys know how much I whined here. I sure won't pretend that I was a model of acceptance. I had to drastically reduce my time here for a long time because I found it too hard to read about things I couldn't do. I was also busy adjusting to a new job so that was helpful to get my mind off of things. I couldn't get any sort of peace until I stopped focusing on *when* I would get better. It was much better for me emotionally to celebrate the improvements, no matter how small- improvements in mobility, pain levels, day-to-day tasks, how much time I could tolerate sitting in the car etc. I also came to see that bad days don't mean I'm back where I started. You've had a lot of travel time lately there has probably been a flare due to this - keep this in mind (any time I had sitting very much I'd flare- I also flared with lower body strength work for many months, some positions I couldn't do at all- biking, for example, was right out). 

I also realize now this will be something that I need to watch. We know that sitting is bad for us but evidently for some of us we feel those effects more quickly and easily. I also have an awareness that there is some laxity in my joints that is likely playing a part in this. I'm trying to stay focused now on doing the things my body needs (walking, mobility, strong core) so I don't have another flare. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm facing our front window watching the snowflakes come down--beautiful. We have night/morning snows probably over the next few days but with highs in the 40's it will melt off quickly. After I got to school yesterday the snow was coming down and started sticking--all of the students wondering if they'll cancel school and send us home. Umm, no, not with the temps rising. No snow anywhere by the time school was over. But I think we wouldn't mind a 2-hour delay on Monday (no more cancelled days please--we have to make those up in June).

I skipped Flow Day 18 (9 min meditation) and went on to Day 19 this morning. I want yoga to feel like at least a little exercise. Maybe I'll pick up Day 18 some evening when I want to relax.

• Like 4