Menu

Anybody else have a spouse working tonight or tomorrow?

Dh is working tonight and will work tomorrow too. He gets to go in late tomorrow, regular start time is 2 pm but he will start at 6 pm tomorrow and he is working until 11 tonight. It is a blessing that he gets to go in late tomorrow!

I reckon we are not the only family......... So anybody else out there in the same or similar boat?

Guest Alte Veste Academy

My husband deployed to Iraq on October 29, 2007. He'll be back in early February 2009. We last celebrated Christmas in October 2007 and we'll do Christmas 2008 in February 2009. So, he's worked two Halloweens, two Thanksgivings, two Christmases, two New Year's Eves...

Years ago, when my mother-in-law seemed to always work on holidays (she's an ER doctor), I used to think that was so sad. I mean, to have to wait to open your presents until that evening... What a drag.

Let's just say I've adjusted my thinking. My point here is not to squash your sadness about your husband working because really, it's a bummer. Honestly though, it's just a bummer. Yesterday I took my kids to see Santa and passed two military funerals there and back. Behind me in line to see Santa was a mom with two kids the same age as my youngest two. She was obviously recovering from cancer. I am so grateful for my life. Two December 25ths will have passed without my husband here but I still have a husband and I don't have cancer.

I hesitate to send this because it's not very cheerful. Really though, if I don't concentrate on what is going right in my life and this world, I'd be in the fetal position in my closet at this point! I am so blessed. Despite my husband's absence, I have everything I want and need in life...beautiful and healthy children, a happy and stable marriage to my best friend, enough money to meet our needs, and good health.

Be as grateful as you can manage. :grouphug:

Kristina

Deployed spouse here too. At least he's in port and we all got to see him for the first time in 4 months last night using Skype----love, love, love that thing. He won't even have gifts this year because the mail didn't get redirected to his sub properly. :glare: He says he doesn't care, but I do!!!

When I was a nurse I always seemed to work the holidays because we moved so much and I was always the "new guy." We've done some weird Christmas celebrations in the past: midnight if I was on evening shift, tea time if I worked days etc... If it makes you feel any better, we look back on those wacky, unusual Christmas celebrations with a smile.

Merry Christmas!

Yes. We are both working tonight at the fireworks stand. Tomorrow DH works 8 am to 8 pm at his tech job. He accepted christmas because we don't have the kids and it's overtime *and* holiday pay.

It'll be an odd and lonely day for me at the fireworks stand, but I'll get some school planning done.

My husband deployed to Iraq on October 29, 2007. He'll be back in early February 2009. We last celebrated Christmas in October 2007 and we'll do Christmas 2008 in February 2009. So, he's worked two Halloweens, two Thanksgivings, two Christmases, two New Year's Eves...

Years ago, when my mother-in-law seemed to always work on holidays (she's an ER doctor), I used to think that was so sad. I mean, to have to wait to open your presents until that evening... What a drag.

Let's just say I've adjusted my thinking. My point here is not to squash your sadness about your husband working because really, it's a bummer. Honestly though, it's just a bummer. Yesterday I took my kids to see Santa and passed two military funerals there and back. Behind me in line to see Santa was a mom with two kids the same age as my youngest two. She was obviously recovering from cancer. I am so grateful for my life. Two December 25ths will have passed without my husband here but I still have a husband and I don't have cancer.

I hesitate to send this because it's not very cheerful. Really though, if I don't concentrate on what is going right in my life and this world, I'd be in the fetal position in my closet at this point! I am so blessed. Despite my husband's absence, I have everything I want and need in life...beautiful and healthy children, a happy and stable marriage to my best friend, enough money to meet our needs, and good health.

Kristina

Oh Kristina. Please thank your dh for my family. We are so grateful! (Thank YOU too!) My brother was gone for two Christmases, New Years, etc, etc. He's home now and we're so grateful he's okay!!!

That said, yes, my dh is working tonight and tomorrow morning. He's an Episcopal Priest. This is a busy time of year. I'm so grateful that my parents, sister and foster sister are here to help keep me company. Two of my brothers come in on the 27th (both military bros work on the 25th). We're really looking forward to seeing them! My other bro we'll see at New Year's. We're just missing one sis this year.

Kristina

I am a Gulf War vet so I have btdt ;) and I know how hard it is for the folks in the field, never been the one at home waiting tho :001_huh: I know it was tough on my dh... :grouphug: wish I could give all the military folks leave for the this holiday or at least your dh.

Dh has had this job well over 20 years and he seldom gets a holiday off, so I am used to this...... However I thought maybe those of us with little to do could cheer each other up or ummm help fill the time, ykwim..... or at least know that there are other users in the same boat that we are not alone.

Edited by RebeccaC

Guest Alte Veste Academy
However I thought maybe those of us with little to do could cheer each other up or ummm help fill the time, ykwim..... or at least know that there are other users in the same boat that we are not alone.

Sorry. My default setting is to cheer myself up by being grateful that I don't have it worse. If the default setting fails, my second coping mechanism is chocolate...

Regardless of the reason for loved ones being away at the holidays, it's rough. There's certainly nothing wrong with trying to cheer people up so thanks for the original post. Misery loves company. There's also nothing wrong with wallowing in misery for a while and having a good cathartic cry. For me, that was yesterday, and will probably be tomorrow too. :)

Thanks to those who expressed support for the military. It means a lot, although I was truly not trying to one-up anyone in the pain department. I don't consider myself worse off for my situation. I'm just getting a heaping helping of perspective.

Kristina

Sorry. My default setting is to cheer myself up by being grateful that I don't have it worse. If the default setting fails, my second coping mechanism is chocolate...

Regardless of the reason for loved ones being away at the holidays, it's rough. There's certainly nothing wrong with trying to cheer people up so thanks for the original post. Misery loves company. There's also nothing wrong with wallowing in misery for a while and having a good cathartic cry. For me, that was yesterday, and will probably be tomorrow too. :)

Thanks to those who expressed support for the military. It means a lot, although I was truly not trying to one-up anyone in the pain department. I don't consider myself worse off for my situation. I'm just getting a heaping helping of perspective.

Kristina

Oh Kristina, I don't think anyone thinks you were one upping..... It is hard when you are alone. I know I am a bit short with my kids tonight. Wish I wasn't. We will be putting the Nativity Story DVD on in a bit and that should help divert my crankyness a bit. I sure don't want my boys remembering mom being up tight at Christmas. I took them out to Toys R Us today to buy a gift and on the way home I just silently cried while they goofed off. It was dark so they didn't notice and I have a cold so sniffing was not unusual.... The good things tonight are my sister in GA called and there are folks on line like me ;) Kind of makes it nicer to know that not everyone is having a traditional Christmas, makes it less alone at least for me...... So tonight I am wishing and praying that for every Christmas your dh has been deployed you will have 10 together! It can happen :001_smile:

He did take last Fri & Sat off so it felt a bit better. I do not care is he works every other holiday, but Christmas is a hard one for me! I must be thankful though, this is the 1st year he's actually had to work on Christmas Day. Other years his boss has given him the day off. I think it helps he has a great attitude about working every other time and is willing to work other holidays.

Well, I'm on duty today and will get off tomorrow morning at (hopefully) 8a. I had to leave before the girls woke up and the baby (my baby turned 2 last month :001_unsure::willy_nilly:) woke up with a horrid bout of diarrhea -- all over his PJ's and blankets. Oldest son was, of course, already up and into his stocking.

Anyway, the kids will open most of their presents today with dh and their Nana (my mom) and save my presents for Boxing Day. I've been a paramedic longer than I've had kids; so, we've made our own traditions based on my work schedule and ability to take off on any given holiday. It's a day -- the specialness is based on when we're together, not necessarily what the particular day is.

I'm on the tail end of a nasty intestinal virus -- hopefully today will be, um, nice. PLEASE??

Just think - holiday pay! That's how I comfort myself when dh has to work on holidays.

:tongue_smilie: :lol: :smilielol5:

:001_huh:

I wish. Straight time here. Not even OT pay. County Commissioners don't pay us lowly paramedics anything other than our hourly rate no matter how many hours or when we work.

Really? No time and a half? You should become a nurse (dh is).

I could technically challenge the nurse's test (I forget which level) and easily pass. Well, I'd have to brush up on my pharmacokinetics and dynamics, but otherwise would be fine. But even as crazy (to the outside) as my schedule is, it does allow me more time to spend with my family. Think about it -- I work the traditional 24 hours on/48 hours off schedule which translates to an average of 10 days a month. Not too shabby, really. And, my boss is working on the pay issue. As with everything political, it just takes time and softening up the tightwads, I mean commissioners.

Several of my colleagues, however, have decided to do just that as a back-up in case of an injury severe enough that they could no longer work on the truck. I think I'd prefer something else entirely outside the medical field were that to happen to me.

Dh is working tonight and will work tomorrow too. He gets to go in late tomorrow, regular start time is 2 pm but he will start at 6 pm tomorrow and he is working until 11 tonight. It is a blessing that he gets to go in late tomorrow!

I reckon we are not the only family......... So anybody else out there in the same or similar boat?

yes, tomorrow. hopefully he won't get paged today.