Menu

Innisfree

Did the clothing contain hateful remarks or threats of violence? 

I cannot imagine most doctors taking the time to go back more than 3 notes unless there is a specific review reason. Such a reason would be finding out details of a cardiac or liver condition to see if a specific medication would work or cause sudden death. Doctors do not have that kind of time. 

Some digital records DO have the ability to flag important notes. So for example, if he was particularly combative and assaulted someone, that would be flagged. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Katy said:

Did the clothing contain hateful remarks or threats of violence?

No, but the doctor thought it was indicative of groups which have behaved that way in the past. It wasn’t anything of the sort, it was old military surplus stuff from a different time and country.

I don’t know. I often feel like doctors I see do not bother to read any before I come in, so I would find it hard to believe that a dr would go through pages and pages of back records to find one sentence about what someone was wearing.

• Like 2

Just now, City Mouse said:

I don’t know. I often feel like doctors I see do not bother to read any before I come in, so I would find it hard to believe that a dr would go through pages and pages of back records to find one sentence about what someone was wearing.

This has been my perspective, but I may be wrong. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Innisfree said:

No, but the doctor thought it was indicative of groups which have behaved that way in the past. It wasn’t anything of the sort, it was old military surplus stuff from a different time and country.

Well he has the right to see his own medical records, but honestly I doubt wearing anything like that would be flagged. Maybe a swastika. But I doubt it. I’ve had skinheads with swastikas tatooed on their faces and even then it wasn’t flagged. It would probably have to be assault or threat of assault to have anything at all. It kind of reminds me of kids paranoia about their “permanent records” that are not permanent at all. 

• Like 2

He could just ask the next doctor he sees. No biggie. 

“hey dr, i had a big misunderstanding with Dr Smith back in 2020 over clothes I was wearing. I am curious if he made a note regarding it, or if you even review notes going that far back. It makes me anxious and uncomfortable every time I come to a doctor knowing it may be in the chart. Would you mind checking to let me know if I should be concerned or not. “

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Innisfree said:

Is this a plausible concern? Is there a way to get access to complete copies of notes, as a patient?

I believe it's plausible.  

You're supposed to have access to all records. 

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if in a particular practice (so not necessarily as a rule), coded notes exist (codes for things like suspected drug use or whatever) or if certain notes were flagged to be held back from the patient.  I have absolutely zero evidence for this though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Innisfree said:

How would you address it? MR needs to see a variety of doctors. This has become a problem.

I think he needs to address it with the physician directly. An alternate would be to ask another physician to check, but honestly, they don't like doing that. I've had physicians remove incorrect diagnoses for me, but I know they agreed it was incorrect and the removal was documented (I have a common name and I'm on the lookout for things like this due to past experience).

If he is having a problem, then it needs to be addressed, IMO. It can be approached as a "concern about communication" at his next visit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EKS said:

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if in a particular practice (so not necessarily as a rule), coded notes exist (codes for things like suspected drug use or whatever) or if certain notes were flagged to be held back from the patient. 

I have easy access to my doctor notes as they are in my patient portal. There are codes there just because the scribe won’t want to type out everything in full. Some codes are for insurance purposes as well. In the patient info section on my doctor’s computer screen, there is a consistent section so flags can definitely be put there, like non-smoker, teetotaler, latex allergy. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TechWife said:

I think he needs to address it with the physician directly. An alternate would be to ask another physician to check, but honestly, they don't like doing that.

6 hours ago, Tap said:

He could just ask the next doctor he sees. No biggie. 

“hey dr, i had a big misunderstanding with Dr Smith back in 2020 over clothes I was wearing. I am curious if he made a note regarding it, or if you even review notes going that far back. It makes me anxious and uncomfortable every time I come to a doctor knowing it may be in the chart. Would you mind checking to let me know if I should be concerned or not. “

He has asked another doctor about it, and apparently got a noncommittal answer which didn’t reassure him. 

Talking to the original doctor sounds like the best approach, if I can persuade him to do that. He was thoroughly unnerved by the whole encounter.

I appreciate everyone’s thoughts. I had felt he was being paranoid, but it sounds like maybe his concerns aren’t entirely off base.

Does anyone know if there’s a legal way to request, and be sure of getting, copies of all notes in his file? 

4 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I have easy access to my doctor notes as they are in my patient portal. There are codes there just because the scribe won’t want to type out everything in full. Some codes are for insurance purposes as well. In the patient info section on my doctor’s computer screen, there is a consistent section so flags can definitely be put there, like non-smoker, teetotaler, latex allergy. 

Same here.  In fact, I think there are a couple of summaries I can read that are written by the doctor.  I have to dig for them, but they're there.

I can also see when they've made mistakes - spelling, allergy notes, etc.

Maybe he can search for that before approaching the doc directly?

different drs have different portals they use for notes.  Many notes - dont' transfer to a new dr unless you deliberately transfer them.

drug/vax records are a bit different and will stay on top of everything else.

a patient's file gets so thick - that unless there is a reason to read years worth of previous entries - no dr in their right mind will do so, and they certainly do NOT have the time to do so.

is the paranoia new?