Menu

Just wanted to say...

Trivium Academy

how grateful I am to all of you for sharing your journeys, questions, fears and wisdom. Life isn't perfect, it isn't always fair but I'm so grateful the season of "awakening" that I'm currently experiencing and I don't think it would have happened at this point in our journey without you.

The caliber of thought, philosophy and mothering on these boards are unmatched at any other place and if you've been feeling confused, down about your own journey- please feel encouraged by this.

You are inspiring.

You are thought-provoking.

You touch many hearts through your love of your children.

You are appreciated.

Humbly grateful,

Jessica, I barely have time to check email and scan the boards for a few minutes a here and there during the day. So, obviously, I haven't read your blog! ;) Would you mind sharing what you are inferring? What direction are you heading in? Since I don't fall into any category (classical or otherwise!), I would enjoy reading how you are now viewing your own methodology.....which I always think is the ultimate approach--the method that works for individual families. :)

Jessica, thanks for sharing your thoughts, ideas and journey!

And FWIW, I've been thinking about all the definitions and methodology out there quite a bit over the past couple of years and those that speak to me most are CM and the Principle Approach/Noah Plan, both of which I think are classical (if a study of latin/greek is included.....both of which recommend that) or as SWB says of TWTM neo-classical (at least). I always re-read parts of TWTM from time to time as well.

I think we all have to find the parts of others' ideas (added into our own) that will help our children make connections and go from there (which is what everyone here seems to be doing on a continual basis...... :) ) It's exciting to read of others along a similar path! (So thanks again for sharing.)

How do I say this in less than 3000 words? lol :rolleyes:

In a nutshell, I'm looking to preserve my children's childhood by lightening up and I've completely ditched (or trying to) an outlook that everything has to be "just right" for my children's education.

Discipleship, mentoring, being there (mind and body) for my children is #1 priority. I have yearned for the confidence to do things a little differently from what is laid out in WTM. Tapestry of Grace was the first step, changing to TOG made me aware that I was reaching too high with our reading selections and activities for history. So I've ditched SOTW for living books, I've lightened up considerably b/c :eek: history is not as important right now as:

- Reading fluency

- Writing

- Math

So everything else is taking a backseat to those skills, history is being read-aloud with age-appropriate materials (picture books at this stage with a few longer books). We've dropped grammar for more natural lessons in Primary Language Lessons, we've dropped spelling completely until next year when we'll start using dictation for spelling (using Simply Spelling).

Then I read More Charlotte Mason by Catherine Levison and realized all that I want to do for K-4: character education, read fabulous books that make my children want more, nature study, allowing the kids to be kids...it's all included in CM without being light on academics. In fact, I don't have to change much at all in our curriculum to follow a CM philosophy of education.

That's where I'm headed, a more natural learning environment. Being the role-model my children deserve, feeding them wholesome wonderment until 5th grade when I really nail them to the wall with the academics. Lol :D Just kidding.

A new friend had said looking ahead can cause stress and worry where there doesn't need to be any. Instead of focusing on what might happen 5 years from now, I look ahead just to see where we MIGHT go and figure out what needs to be done now to prepare for the ideal future. Then get the heck out of "tomorrow-land" and get back to today. Live each moment as if it's a memory of my children's childhood.

Do I want them to remember Mommy always reading curriculum books? Do I want them to remember Mommy sitting at the computer? Do I want them to remember Mommy as the one always stressed out? NO.

I want to be remembered as the one who was there, exploring the world with them, exciting them with simple things. I want to be the "best Mommy in the world" when they remember their childhood. I forgot that. I got so wrapped up in -is dd7 doing well? -we're not covering this or that, will it harm her? so on and so forth.

How many words is that?

I'll end here. I've woken up and realized I haven't been doing all that I would like to and there's nothing stopping me except for me. It's time to get to work.

Jessica, that's a lovely sentiment! It expresses what I'd like our school to be, even if we don't always get there. A resource I've particularly enjoyed for a CM and now a Waldorfy element is Elizabeth Foss' book and blog Real Learning:

http://www.ebeth.typepad.com/reallearning/

and her collaboration with Katherine Johnson, Serendipity at:

http://www.ebeth.typepad.com/serendipity/

All of these are great resources for adding more creativity and gentle learning into your hs. Whether you use a little or a lot of their ideas, they'll spice up your home and life.

All of these resources are Roman Catholic or a Catholic/Orthodox collaboration, but I don't think that lessens their usefulness for others but YMMV.

A great board to check out when you get a chance is the Real Learning Forums at:

http://4real.thenetsmith.com/default.asp

I'm just a lurker there, but it offers a wealth of information and CM experience.

history is not as important right now as:

- Reading fluency

- Writing

- Math

Do I want them to remember Mommy always reading curriculum books? Do I want them to remember Mommy sitting at the computer? Do I want them to remember Mommy as the one always stressed out? NO.

I'll end here. I've woken up and realized I haven't been doing all that I would like to and there's nothing stopping me except for me.

Jessica,

Good for you to realize this now! I am perfectionistic in many ways, and I yearn, at times, to just start all over. But....I have all these books and curriculums that we've bought.....we've spent so many years trying to learn this or that subject....it would seem a waste not to continue. It is very difficult to let go. :(

I started in the CM camp, moved to classical, but could never let go of certain things that I learned in my study of CM methods. I have been insanely trying to blend the two, for far too long, and it drives me crazy at times. The perfectionist in me can't let go of this idea or that, because they seem best. The problem is that I can't do it all and be perfect, and I can't expect my son to come out perfect.

This year, I finally came to a conclusion of how I wanted to approach history. After trying a few wonderful choices, I figured out what I needed as teacher to be successful, and what my student needed to love history and thrive. I saw good in the different programs I tried, but TOG is what we have come back to. Having said that, I doubt we will make it through a year plan in one year. We have co-op and there are only so many minutes that can be allotted to history each day. I've decided we will try to cover as much as we can, to stay as close to the weekly plan as possible, but I'm sure some week plans will take us 6 days, maybe 7 or 8. I am o.k. with that now. It took me a while to get there, but I've decided to focus more on what we are learning and the methods that we are learning by, rather than the checklist of work to do. Even in 5th, we still need to focus on reading, writing, and math, and in our particular case....spelling! :o

I appreciated your post. It reminded me of myself. I am afraid if I were to leave this earth today, my son would remember the mom you describe who was way too stressed, reading curriculum books all the time, and sitting in front of the computer, much too often. I don't want to be that mom, either. You are right; the only thing in the way is me. I'll have to pray about this. Maybe there won't be major shake-ups, but maybe even a few small changes could make the difference in the mom and teacher my son will remember me to be. It is my utmost desire to be the best that I can be for my Lord, and for him. I'm glad you posted. ((Hugs)).:)