Menu

Music themed clothing ideas for BIL’s Celebration of Life.

dirty ethel rackham

Earlier this month, my BIL passed away from complications of COPD and heart failure.  He was an accomplished musician, opening for big names in the 70s, playing piano in bars and clubs as well as teaching piano.  He was my kids piano teacher for several years.  Despite none of them having a burning passion to play, they would have kept up with it just to spend time with him, if he and my sister had not moved away.  Every holiday was filled with music and laughter.  He could make anyone laugh and feel special, from the super serious to the silliest little kid. His Celebration of Life is in less than 3 weeks, which will include a recital from his current students.  My brother had the brilliant idea for all us family to wear music themed clothing, partly to break the tension with his students who will be performing for a much larger audience that they’re used to, but mostly to celebrate BIL’s joy in music.  He was especially known for sitting down at any piano (private space or public) and playing ”Linus and Lucy” by Vince Guaraldi.  

So I’m hoping to get clothing for myself,  DS30 (who will be arriving from NZ the night before and hopping on a plane the next morning), and DD23. Any ideas where I can get something quickly (and not terribly expensive since it will likely be worn only once)?    

If you search “piano shirts” on Amazon, there are lots of good options, $20 and under, especially if t-shirts aren’t too casual. I have ordered several t-shirts from Amazon, and they have all been good quality and normal sizing.

Sorry for your loss,; your brother in law sounds like an amazing man.

Edited by TrulySusan
  • Like 1

Old Navy has a lot of classic rock T-shirts, I needed to get something for my daughter's dance recital and that worked. 

My oldest has a piano scarf https://www.amazon.com/piano-keyboard-scarf/s?k=piano+keyboard+scarf that he loves. It's pretty cheap on Amazon and you could each wear one, maybe along with something plain that matched (like clothing in his favorite color?) . There are other music themed scarves on there as well. 

Not exactly cheap, but I think this is pretty enough to wear many times 
https://svahausa.com/products/chromatic-scales-twirl-skirt

There are other less colorful options too: 
https://svahausa.com/search?q=music&type=product

I guess my first thought of blue suede shoes isn't going to be a good suggestion. I can't imagine wearing those more than once!