Menu

“Christmas School”

Anyone want to share their Christmas/Winter/December school plans? I need fresh ideas! 

We’ve done holidays around the world, A Christmas Carol, The Nutcracker and other random tidbits like holiday games from AAR and the free morning basket plans from Pam Barnhill. 

Has anyone ever tried Read Aloud Revival Premium’s Christmas School? 

• Like 1

I don't know what ages you have, but some things we did over the years:

Full unit studies we did:

American Girl Holidays - read through each of the original historical Christmas/Hannukah books; we did a lapbook iirc.

Did only the Before/Five in a Row winter & Christmas themed books during the whole month of December. We did this one a couple of years past FIAR (which I only used for Kindergarten-1st grade); it was a nice break from our other curriculum. 

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Little Women

Years we only did Holiday Circle time:

Wrapped a whole bunch of holiday themed picture books (I used library books to come to 24) and read one each morning. You could just read a chapter from a longer book for older kids. Memorized Night Before Christmas. Then did school as usual.

Years we did a Weekly Friday Christmas thing:

Weekly Holiday film: Watched a film weekly. For Grinch and Polar Express, we also read the books and did venn diagrams on book vs. movies

Weekly Holiday Craft: Gingerbread house-building, holiday themed LEGO creations, winter themed artwork, holiday baking.

Hogwarts Christmas - made wands & other crafty things for Christmas, learned some spells, imagined what they'd wish for in a magical world, etc. You could probably make this a full unit study, but we only did 1/2 day for 4 weeks.

My kids are now 11th and 12th grade - no fun winter holiday studies now. 

• Like 4

The past few years we’ve enjoyed Campfire curriculums Christmas studies (one is a Biblical Christmas following the shepherds and another on carols). 
this year we’ll be doing the Gentle and classical Christmas and Truth in the Tinsel for my youngest. My older ones will doe Unwrapping the Names of Jesus and Jothams  journey (a tradition). 

we’ll also do some more picture books and projects. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone! 

I haven’t quite decided how immersive I want Christmas school to be this year. A big part of me just wants to keep it simple with books, card making and cookie baking. Every weekend in December is jam packed, it might be nice to not have a big to do list everyday during the week. 

• Like 1

On 11/14/2023 at 4:38 PM, Nichola said:

I bought some 12 x 16 cloth bags on Amazon one year, and they’ve been the perfect size for picture books. They’re reusable and easy to put out every year. My kids take turns choosing a book each day leading up to Christmas.

I found old christmas material at my moms to make some with!

• Like 2

We used Cindy Rollins’ book, Hallelujah, an Advent devotional using Handel’s Messiah, one year as the foundation for our “Christmas school”. We researched Handel, oratorios, and baroque music, made some of the recipes in the book and enjoyed the “How we celebrate”’ articles. We added some selections from her booklist to our collection.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 4

We are doing the following fun things the last week or so of school before our Christmas break:

Math: The Great Gingerbread House Project

https://www.edutopia.org/article/great-gingerbread-house-project/

Writing: Gingerbread House for Sale

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Holiday-Writing-Activity-for-Middle-School-Gingerbread-House-for-Sale-2867123

And because we are in SOTW volume 3,

Read aloud picture books: Baker's Dozen, A Colonial American Tale and An Early American Christmas

Independent reading: The Best/Worst Christmas Pageant Ever

Science: Reindeer Unit Study and Winter mini-lessons from Mystery Science

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

We used Cindy Rollins’ book, Hallelujah, an Advent devotional using Handel’s Messiah, one year as the foundation for our “Christmas school”. We researched Handel, oratorios, and baroque music, made some of the recipes in the book and enjoyed the “How we celebrate”’ articles. We added some selections from her booklist to our collection.

This looks wonderful, but I'm not catholic and it appears Cindy Rollins is. Have non catholics used this? Is it non denominational?

4 hours ago, Dianthus said:

This looks wonderful, but I'm not catholic and it appears Cindy Rollins is. Have non catholics used this? Is it non denominational?

Cindy Rollins is Protestant, but included a couple of the feast days to include some Orthodox and Catholic traditions. 

I am Protestant (Presbyterian) and used the book two years ago with my teens. We skipped the St. Lucia stuff but we have always included the real St. Nicholas in our Advent picture book selections. St Nicholas has Eastern Orthodox origins, but the Dec 6th celebration is common all over Europe, including in countries with strong Protestant heritage like Germany and the Netherlands. 

As with any devotional or teaching resource, use what works for your family and skip what doesn’t. 

The daily selections have Scripture, followed by text/lyrics from Messiah, with listening time length noted. Each week has a section written by Greg Wilbur, a Protestant church musician, on what to listen for. Each week also has a hymn, a poem, and suggested Bible memory verses. 

The church calendar is not Catholic or Protestant. It predates the Reformation by many centuries. Many American evangelical, non-denominational churches have lost connection with church history and are unfamiliar with the seasons of the church year. Liturgical churches are typically more connected to this. Thomas Banks, who wrote the intro article about the Christian calendar, has a Catholic background and is married to Angelina Stanford, who is Orthodox. 

The Lessons and Carols service referenced in the book is Anglican. Handel was raised Lutheran and became Anglican when he  became an English citizen. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, quietgarden said:

We are doing the following fun things the last week or so of school before our Christmas break:

Math: The Great Gingerbread House Project

https://www.edutopia.org/article/great-gingerbread-house-project/

Writing: Gingerbread House for Sale

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Holiday-Writing-Activity-for-Middle-School-Gingerbread-House-for-Sale-2867123

And because we are in SOTW volume 3,

Read aloud picture books: Baker's Dozen, A Colonial American Tale and An Early American Christmas

Independent reading: The Best/Worst Christmas Pageant Ever

Science: Reindeer Unit Study and Winter mini-lessons from Mystery Science

Love It! This has been my Christmas school style in the past.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

Cindy Rollins is Protestant, but included a couple of the feast days to include some Orthodox and Catholic traditions. 

I am Protestant (Presbyterian) and used the book two years ago with my teens. We skipped the St. Lucia stuff but we have always included the real St. Nicholas in our Advent picture book selections. St Nicholas has Eastern Orthodox origins, but the Dec 6th celebration is common all over Europe, including in countries with strong Protestant heritage like Germany and the Netherlands. 

As with any devotional or teaching resource, use what works for your family and skip what doesn’t. 

The daily selections have Scripture, followed by text/lyrics from Messiah, with listening time length noted. Each week has a section written by Greg Wilbur, a Protestant church musician, on what to listen for. Each week also has a hymn, a poem, and suggested Bible memory verses. 

The church calendar is not Catholic or Protestant. It predates the Reformation by many centuries. Many American evangelical, non-denominational churches have lost connection with church history and are unfamiliar with the seasons of the church year. Liturgical churches are typically more connected to this. Thomas Banks, who wrote the intro article about the Christian calendar, has a Catholic background and is married to Angelina Stanford, who is Orthodox. 

The Lessons and Carols service referenced in the book is Anglican. Handel was raised Lutheran and became Anglican when he  became an English citizen. 

Thank you. We usually observe St Nicholas Day but not St Lucia. It does sound like a lovely advent study. How long would you expect each day's lesson including reading and listening?

I am considering stopping our Sonlight history for the month and focusing on Christmas and Hanukkah studies. I always read A Christmas Carol and Best Christmas Pageant Ever. I would love a Christmas Carol (eta, the songs not the dickens) study too.

Edited by Dianthus
  • Like 1

I’d say about 10-15 minutes, generally. 

The Scripture passages are printed in the book so can be read from there, though I had my kids look them up in their own Bibles.

The listening portion is 3-11 minutes. 

We added a few unit study school things, but not lots. My kids were in 11th and 8th grades when we used this and the 8th grader was in school. We did it mostly in the evenings, sometimes mornings, since my 8th grader didn’t have to be at school too early. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/12/2023 at 11:10 AM, historically accurate said:

I don't know what ages you have, but some things we did over the years:

Full unit studies we did:

American Girl Holidays - read through each of the original historical Christmas/Hannukah books; we did a lapbook iirc.

Did only the Before/Five in a Row winter & Christmas themed books during the whole month of December. We did this one a couple of years past FIAR (which I only used for Kindergarten-1st grade); it was a nice break from our other curriculum. 

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Little Women

Years we only did Holiday Circle time:

Wrapped a whole bunch of holiday themed picture books (I used library books to come to 24) and read one each morning. You could just read a chapter from a longer book for older kids. Memorized Night Before Christmas. Then did school as usual.

Years we did a Weekly Friday Christmas thing:

Weekly Holiday film: Watched a film weekly. For Grinch and Polar Express, we also read the books and did venn diagrams on book vs. movies

Weekly Holiday Craft: Gingerbread house-building, holiday themed LEGO creations, winter themed artwork, holiday baking.

Hogwarts Christmas - made wands & other crafty things for Christmas, learned some spells, imagined what they'd wish for in a magical world, etc. You could probably make this a full unit study, but we only did 1/2 day for 4 weeks.

My kids are now 11th and 12th grade - no fun winter holiday studies now. 

Ooo, my ds functions younger and has some narrative language issues that make middle grade picture books or chapter books quite appropriate. I'm liking these ideas, especially the ways to kick it up a notch!! He finally CAN understand the story line and language, but he's not drawn to it and wouldn't watch those fiction movies by choice. So it can be fun and educational here! LOL Christmas movies, love it!!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dianthus said:

I would love a Christmas Carol (eta, the songs not the dickens) study too.

I like this idea!!! I *thnk* I have a Joni Erickson Tada book for this but I bet there are more. I need something on the lighter side. Her stuff tends a little heavy/bio for my ds.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2023 at 10:09 AM, PeterPan said:

😂 Ok, that sounds fun. We were just saying we need to move science back in the rotation. Where do I find this? 😂

Hi PeterPan!

I would go with this link that lists a printable unit study for $7.99. It is from the same package I purchased in 2021 but it is much cheaper! This is a really good price for all the info she provides.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/889684312/reindeer-winter-unit-study-arctic-animal?click_key=a2be32b0f05cd3e97de43cc6e2043acd02980c2c%3A889684312&click_sum=7ee63269&ref=shop_home_recs_2

I bought the pack that includes the reindeer antler and the lichen (at the time that was ONLY product available - but not sure I would have sprung for the full deal if I had an option. And now it has gone up in price (A LOT). I think I paid $45, which also seemed like a lot, but we really loved getting the lichen and the reindeer antler portion and I was impressed with the unit study. So much so that we used portions in 1st grade, skipped a year, and will do it again with some of the activities that were too much for him then. Getting two years out of it, and having the antler portion (and possibly the lichen if it doesn't decompose!), to keep in the Christmas box seems worth it.

But if I had had the $7.99 option I would absolutely have gone with that!!

At this current price though, I think I would want to share the cost with a friend or two.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/872010094/alaska-reindeer-box-winter-activity-box?gpla=1&gao=1&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_-toys_and_games&utm_custom1=_k_CjwKCAiAjfyqBhAsEiwA-UdzJOPXfX7GQqvaZFNYKtT2mpliJMq4ofJK2k84d1l8-f8R6Pj1oGVsaBoCjwgQAvD_BwE_k_&utm_content=go_12665398257_121762925993_511610210343_pla-314535279060_c__872010094_140176376&utm_custom2=12665398257&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAjfyqBhAsEiwA-UdzJOPXfX7GQqvaZFNYKtT2mpliJMq4ofJK2k84d1l8-f8R6Pj1oGVsaBoCjwgQAvD_BwE

Edited by quietgarden

On 11/23/2023 at 10:21 AM, quietgarden said:

Hi PeterPan!

I would go with this link that lists a printable unit study for $7.99. It is from the same package I purchased in 2021 but it is much cheaper! This is a really good price for all the info she provides.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/889684312/reindeer-winter-unit-study-arctic-animal?click_key=a2be32b0f05cd3e97de43cc6e2043acd02980c2c%3A889684312&click_sum=7ee63269&ref=shop_home_recs_2

I bought the pack that includes the reindeer antler and the lichen (at the time that was ONLY product available - but not sure I would have sprung for the full deal if I had an option. And now it has gone up in price (A LOT). I think I paid $45, which also seemed like a lot, but we really loved getting the lichen and the reindeer antler portion and I was impressed with the unit study. So much so that we used portions in 1st grade, skipped a year, and will do it again with some of the activities that were too much for him then. Getting two years out of it, and having the antler portion (and possibly the lichen if it doesn't decompose!), to keep in the Christmas box seems worth it.

But if I had had the $7.99 option I would absolutely have gone with that!!

At this current price though, I think I would want to share the cost with a friend or two.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/872010094/alaska-reindeer-box-winter-activity-box?gpla=1&gao=1&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_-toys_and_games&utm_custom1=_k_CjwKCAiAjfyqBhAsEiwA-UdzJOPXfX7GQqvaZFNYKtT2mpliJMq4ofJK2k84d1l8-f8R6Pj1oGVsaBoCjwgQAvD_BwE_k_&utm_content=go_12665398257_121762925993_511610210343_pla-314535279060_c__872010094_140176376&utm_custom2=12665398257&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAjfyqBhAsEiwA-UdzJOPXfX7GQqvaZFNYKtT2mpliJMq4ofJK2k84d1l8-f8R6Pj1oGVsaBoCjwgQAvD_BwE

I was looking at her Northern Lights Cards a few days ago! All of her things look lovely.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

The Well-Read Poem podcast is doing a series of Advent/Christmas themed ones and I bet The Daily Poem will too. Some will be good for kids to listen to. Nice to have a not-mom reader sometimes! 

We used to listen to "The Daily Poem" a lot and loved it.  Thanks for mentioning the other podcast.  

• Like 1

I ordered both the Hallelujah devotional and The Carols of Christmas. I'm returning Hallelujah and only doing the carols. Just skimmed both tonight and feel Hallelujah would be a bit boring for my kids and too much of the same throughout. Maybe if all were older.

So my plan is to do The Carols of Christmas (will double some days since it is written for 4 weeks, but each day is short so that is easily doable), and read The Best Christmas Pageant Ever before we read A Christmas Carol.

Anyone have Christmas craft ideas? We did 3D snowflakes a couple years ago so would like to do again. We hung them in our hallway. I also bought some kits from the craft stores but wondering about more creative ideas with basic materials?

Trying to think of which subjects to drop. We need a reset yet are behind.

9 hours ago, Dianthus said:

Anyone have Christmas craft ideas? We did 3D snowflakes a couple years ago so would like to do again. We hung them in our hallway. I also bought some kits from the craft stores but wondering about more creative ideas with basic materials?

This is not super creative but you might like the simplicity……

We started making our own wrapping paper yesterday. It’s just brown kraft paper and the kids draw and/or paint it to make their own. 

We also started making a Christmas village with milk cartons and paper bags. 

• Like 2

We read Christmas picture books, and have some Christmas themed craft packs and scissor skills books. We listen to and  will learn some Christmas songs. Also Christmas baking, letter to Father Christmas, making Christmas cards and simple gifts (rolling beeswax candles, decorating a mug etc.) There are some fun places to visit locally like a Christmas market and a theatre show.

• Like 1