Menu

Our Generation dolls

alysee

This is the 3rd year in a row that my 5 year old has been obsessed with these dolls. I have avoided them for this long because of all the pieces but my 5yo is my first kid who is baby obsessed. With the new house, and a new toy room I think now would be the right year to get it for Christmas but I dont know anything about them. Are they quality made dolls? Will they last the amount of playing a 5yo does or are they more decorative? 

Well my now 6 year old got super jealous when his closest sister was gifted an American Girl Doll. I think he was then 4. At the time AG had boy dolls but nothing that looked like him. But there was an Our Generation doll that did. He got it, played with it a lot, even slept with it for a while. And except for frequently being found naked and having rumpled hair, the doll is still in great shape. 

• Like 1

Our Generation Dolls are absolutely sturdy enough to withstand play. They are made for play, not for display. I would feel comfortable giving one to a 3- or 4-year-old. 

Are they as high quality as the $115 American Girl dolls? No, but honestly the differences are probably only noticeable to collectors or older children. AG girls are a little heavier, a little more poseable, and have higher quality hair. OG dolls are definitely worth the very reasonable price of $25.99.

Please do get your daughter an OG doll. She will be thrilled and they have almost unlimited play value. You don't have to buy all the accessories. A basic set or two (maybe a pet or some play food) and some clothes (including pajamas!) would be fun.

If your daughter is not set on a particular doll, I highly recommend getting one with straight hair as opposed to one with curly, wavy, or styled hair (braided, bun, etc.). Straight hair will hold up much better to brushing and is easier to fix up when necessary.

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 3

Years ago my daughter got an OG doll as a gift at about age 6 or 7, then ended up saving money when she was older to buy 2 American Girl dolls (over the course of a couple years when she was about 11-12).  The big thing she noticed was that it was hard to keep the hair nice on the OG doll.  It was sturdy and high quality in every other way. 

When DD was in middle school and even early high school she got into making stop motion animation movies with her dolls.  With the OG doll she ended up learning to do a "wig replacement" and we ordered a new wig on Etsy, and then it had beautiful hair again too.  😍.   She's saving all three of her dolls for her future children. 😊

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alysee said:

This is the 3rd year in a row that my 5 year old has been obsessed with these dolls. I have avoided them for this long because of all the pieces but my 5yo is my first kid who is baby obsessed. With the new house, and a new toy room I think now would be the right year to get it for Christmas but I dont know anything about them. Are they quality made dolls? Will they last the amount of playing a 5yo does or are they more decorative? 

Yes!  I think compared to the cost of the America Girl Dolls, these are well-made.  My daughter is 8, though, and she still prefers baby dolls.  I have purchased three of those from Paradise Galleries now.  (Someone here recommended the company.) Target used to have some great sales on Our Generation.  So watch out for those deals.  Hopefully they still do them!

• Like 2

I think they are fine! We have some AG, some other brand stuff. The AG stuff has gone so down hill that there is literally no difference in the quality between OG and AG. Also, I am not saying they are bad quality, I am just saying AG used to use real metal and real wood. Now everything with AG is plastic, yet, they still charge as much as they charged back when they were a high quality product. I have refused to buy AG products in a while now and have only bought OG. 

Also, I do still like the dolls from GOTZ. Pottery Barn sells them also and they have a sale at some point in the fall in the past where they go way down in price.  We have the OG school room and a bunch of other OG stuff. Get her the OG dolls and stuff while she still wants it. This is such a magical time when our little girl's are still playing with dolls. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alysee said:

Today I am going to Watertown to shop. Decided on getting these. The doll and outfit will be her Santa present. The other two accessories will be from my MIL and my parents. 

Screenshot_20231020-082959_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231021-075225_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231020-100334_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231022-055654_Chrome.jpg

Watertown? Are you in SD? I am from that area! We really miss it and sometimes, dream of moving back.