Menu

Would you like, or expect a thank you note for giving a plate of Christmas cookies?

As the neighbors who often send the kids over with goodies (mostly to get them out of the house (the goodies not the kids)), enjoying them is all we require. Occasionally dh tries out a new recipe on the neighbors and asks how it was when he sees them again, but would be completely flabbergasted to receive a card.

A personal thank-you is more than fine with me. I would try to mention it to the parents as well, if the kids deliver them.

In general, I expect a thank you card when it isn't possible for the recipient to thank me personally. Showers, weddings, when I mail the gift, etc. Actually, a sincere phone call would be just as good - -"hey, I'm drinking a cup of coffee made in my new machine right now!"

I rather dislike that my s-i-l makes her kids write me these painfully generic thank you notes when we give gifts in person. After hugs and kisses and exclamations of delight, I really don't need, "Dear Auntie, Thank you for the gift. I like it." Times three, lol!! Or they use those little check off notes; I mean, really! I want the two minutes back in my life that I spent opening THAT envelope, sheesh.

Er, I digress. No, I would not expect a thank-you note for a plate of cookies.

Not for one plate of cookies or something. However you did say they "keep" bringing them over and to me that sounds like many plates of cookies. While I"m sure they don't expect a thank you card, I'm sure it would be very much appreciated. And all it would have to be is something simple like "Thank you so much for all the wonderful treats you sent over during the holidays. We enjoyed them all very much and appreciate you thinking of us so often."

It would take too minutes. And often something so little can mean so much.

Personally, I'd do it.

I am the Queen of Thank You Notes -- I make my kids write thank you notes for all of the Christmas/birthday gifts they get, even if the giver was right there when they opened the gift and received verbal thanks at that time.

Having said that: a plate of cookies doesn't get a thank you note. Heck, a lot of times it IS a thank you -- we give them out to the neighbors as a way of thanking them for being such good friends and neighbors throughout the year. And it's nice if later someone comments, "Gosh, we enjoyed those cookies," a few days or weeks later when we're out doing something and happen to see each other. But any more than that is overkill. Really.

The neighbors to whom we sent cookies all sent back Christmas cards, except for the one that sent back caramel popcorn. :lurk5:

Yeah...I was making loaves of zucchini bread for the neighbors one yr, & I realized later that they'd end up reciprocating. *Then* I realized that being Mexican, one set of neighbors was likely to send tamales.

So I told dh I did it on purpose. ;) He *loves* REAL tamales.

I never expect a thank you card from someone for any gift. I don't think that's as much the norm nowadays and I don't equate not getting a thank you card with rudeness. I make pumpkin bread for family, friends, and neighbors each year around Thanksgiving, and I've never had nor expected a thank you note. When I deliver it in person, I get a verbal "thank you" and maybe an invite inside to chat for a while. When I have dh or the kids deliver it, the person usually just tells me thank you the next time they see me as well as sending the message verbally along with whoever delivered the bread. Just making and giving these things is such a pleasure. I don't think anyone expects a formal thanks or any gift in return. If they do, perhaps they're giving for the wrong reason. Seeing the smiles my gifts bring is all the thanks I need.