Menu

high cocoa content dark chocolate you like?

cintinative

28 minutes ago, cintinative said:

I had been buying Moser Roth 85% dark chocolate at Aldi, but they haven't had it for over a month. 😭    Some of the other kinds I have tried at the grocery were not great. Does anyone have an online favorite they can recommend? TIA!

Weather is still too hot to order it, but I'm partial to the chocolate from here. I think it's the grass the cows eat or something, lol. https://shop.chocolateskaokao.com/

It only goes to 70%. I've had the stevia 80% but I don't recall liking it for some reason. Maybe it was fine? I guess you could try a bar and suffer. If you ever get there in person, they do tasting tours for $5. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gardenmom5 said:

I do lindt 90%

I get this when I can’t find Moser Roth. Our Aldi has had it intermittently, so I have been hoping it’s a fluke that it’s not there.

They have to know that they are one of a handful of brands that have safe chocolate, so I’m fairly disgusted that they seem to be dropping it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kbutton said:

I get this when I can’t find Moser Roth. Our Aldi has had it intermittently, so I have been hoping it’s a fluke that it’s not there.

They have to know that they are one of a handful of brands that have safe chocolate, so I’m fairly disgusted that they seem to be dropping it.

I would expect if they are dropping it, it's because they are not selling enough for it to be profitable. Or maybe they are selling so much it just runs out quickly and they can't keep up with demand! Which maybe means they will amp up production.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, marbel said:

I would expect if they are dropping it, it's because they are not selling enough for it to be profitable. Or maybe they are selling so much it just runs out quickly and they can't keep up with demand! Which maybe means they will amp up production.

You forgot the word “enough” after profitable. Many things go by the wayside that are profitable but not as much as something else.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Martha in GA said:

We had a time during the pandemic that Aldis didn't have these bars, but they have been in stock recently. Hopefully, they will be carrying them in your area again soon!

I asked the Aldi worker about it and he said he wasn't sure they would be restocked. I hope he is wrong!!

11 minutes ago, mmasc said:

Why do you all like this chocolate? The flavor? How it’s sourced? Or? Now I’m wanting to go to Aldi and try it! I always get Lindt, but am always willing to try a new one. 🙂 Enlighten me please. 

Tastes good. Inexpensive. Packaged in nice little bars. Rates well in the report about chocolate that is full of lead and cadmium, unlike many other brands. I think it’s also supposed to be sustainable or fair trade or something like that as well, but I can’t remember for sure.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Martha in GA said:

Maybe I better stock up, then! We used to buy the black bean chips there, and they seem to have disappeared : (

That's one of the downsides of Aldi - things may come and go very quickly there. I mean, it just seems to happen there with great regularity, more than at other stores. We had tried some cheesy jalapeno popcorn and loved it - and then one day it was gone! There are a few other things I check for every time I go, but they are never there. I can only assume not enough people bought them, but hey, I liked them so much, why didn't everyone else? 🤣  (Mama Cozzi Buffalo Chicken Pizza; I will miss you forever. 😪)

Edited by marbel
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, marbel said:

That's one of the downsides of Aldi - things may come and go very quickly there. I mean, it just seems to happen there with great regularity, more than at other stores. We had tried some cheesy jalapeno popcorn and loved it - and then one day it was gone! There are a few other things I check for every time I go, but they are never there. I can only assume not enough people bought them, but hey, I liked them so much, why didn't everyone else? 🤣  (Mama Cozzi Buffalo Chicken Pizza; I will miss you forever. 😪)

It's not just you. 

My son has Celiac and about twice a year they have gluten free glazed donuts as a special buy. We buy an embarrassing amount of them because we know they will be gone in a day or so, and won't be back for six months. I guess with the limited store space, they can't carry everything, but if it sells out in a day, you'd think they'd reconsider.  😃 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mmasc said:

Why do you all like this chocolate? The flavor? How it’s sourced? Or? Now I’m wanting to go to Aldi and try it! I always get Lindt, but am always willing to try a new one. 🙂 Enlighten me please. 

As mentioned upthread, it doesn't have the heavy metals.

I like the taste of their dark chocolate (the 85%); although it is bitter, it is smooth. 

Also, it's less expensive than some others.

And, it comes with several smaller wrapped bars in the larger package.

And, it is fair trade. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, cintinative said:

if some people have it at their Aldis and others don't we might need to start some sort of side hustle shipping chocolate to each other  LOL

I don’t mind, but it’s near triple-digits here, so you might not want my chocolate!

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, marbel said:

The chocolate is a staple though. I think they’ve had it for well over a decade.

• Like 2

@cintinative Ok, so I’m not sure if this is a good update or kind of bad. Good—I was at Aldi today and they had plenty of Moser Roth 85% dark chocolate (so maybe it’s not going away??). Bad—so why doesn’t your Aldi have it?!

Side note: I picked up both the 70% and 85% to try. My ds and I both really liked the 70%! We haven’t tried the 85% yet. I also loved the price. 🙂 $1.85. 

Edited by mmasc
Typo
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, mmasc said:

@cintinative Ok, so I’m not sure if this is a good update or kind of bad. Good—I was at Aldi today and they had plenty of Mosher Roth 85% dark chocolate (so maybe it’s not going away??). Bad—so why doesn’t your Aldi have it?!

Side note: I picked up both the 70% and 85% to try. My ds and I both really liked the 70%! We haven’t tried the 85% yet. I also loved the price. 🙂 $1.85. 

Mine is still out!! 😔  I did notice an opened package of 70% lying on the shelf. My guess is that there was 70% or 85% there at some point.  I might need to shop a different day!  I am glad you found it and that you like it!!

Just now, cintinative said:

Mine is still out!! 😔  I did notice an opened package of 70% lying on the shelf. My guess is that there was 70% or 85% there at some point.  I might need to shop a different day!  I am glad you found it and that you like it!!

That’s weird! But maybe encouraging. Yeah, I’d try a different day. Have you tried asking an employee if they know?

On 9/2/2023 at 3:49 PM, cintinative said:

I had been buying Moser Roth 85% dark chocolate at Aldi, but they haven't had it for over a month. 😭    Some of the other kinds I have tried at the grocery were not great. Does anyone have an online favorite they can recommend? TIA!

A friend gets me a selection of dark chocolates from Trader Joe’s every year. The box looks like a passport. I’m not sure if it’s seasonal or they always have it, but it’s nice. Lidl has nice chocolate too, so I guess Any German Store is my answer 🤣

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

A friend gets me a selection of dark chocolates from Trader Joe’s every year. The box looks like a passport. I’m not sure if it’s seasonal or they always have it, but it’s nice. Lidl has nice chocolate too, so I guess Any German Store is my answer 🤣

I love those passport boxes! I always try to grab a few before they sell out, they are nice hostess gifts when going to holiday parties.