Menu

Garden hose with Prop 65 warning

Indigo Blue

Someone outside my immediate family ordered an expensive garden hose. It had a large tag attached to it that had the Prop 65 warning in a large, scary font. It cautioned that you should wash your hands after handling. This person is now afraid to use the hose, and wants to send it back. 

I know Prop 65 is on almost everything. I know it’s something about avoiding being sued, so they just preemptively put it in lots of things to cover themselves. I usually ignore it for the most part. 

It’s fine to keep the hose, right? Do you pay attention to or regard the Prop 65?

I mostly ignore that, but I am a bit confused by it. 

I'm sure it is no more problematic than any other hose. 

Don't drink from it unless it is designated for drinking water--that goes for any hose (there are hoses that are designated safe for potable water use, used for filling RV tanks and such; they are usually white).

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, maize said:

I'm sure it is no more problematic than any other hose. 

Don't drink from it unless it is designated for drinking water--that goes for any hose (there are hoses that are designated safe for potable water use, used for filling RV tanks and such; they are usually white).

RV hoses are usually white or blue but also now come in a lime green.  

• Like 1

Well, I think being alive causes cancer. This is where we are at now. Sigh. I mean, we cannot possibly avoid everything. So I tend to ignore some of these things.

That said, I wear my garden gloves when I use the hose because I drag that thing all over this yard, and I have a dog. I am sure at one point or another it has been dragged through dog plops. So ya. When I am done gardening, the gloves come off and hands get washed.

I would not get rid of perfectly good hose unless I was committed to getting a hand pump for my well and hauling water by the pail full Laura Ingalls style, and frankly, no just no. I am not enamored with nostalgia for the good ole days though maybe if I had to work that damn hard physically on such little food, I would not have the hips I currently possess.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2