Menu

all natural laundry detergent that smells good

ProudGrandma

I have tried several all natural laundry detergents over the years (including the one the essential oil company I use puts out) and my husband complains that it doesn't make his clothes smell "clean" like Tide or Gain or other commercial detergents do.  I am trying to make my home as all natural as possible, but this is one hurdle I am having trouble getting my husband on board with.   Has anybody here had this issue and were able to over come it with the "perfect" solution.  I don't need to nor do I really want to make my own because there are many more natural products on the market, I just can't afford to buy each one to test them out.  Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  thanks. 

It's interesting that your husband so firmly associates certain perfuming ingredients with cleanliness. Surely he understands, at some level, that a perfectly clean piece of cloth would smell like nothing at all? Is there any potential for him becoming less intransigent about the issue if you started using that vocabulary? How might he respond if you said, "I'm having trouble finding a naturally sourced detergent that also contains the type of perfume you prefer for your laundry." (It's not exactly healthy, but many men would balk at the idea that they prefer their clothing to be perfumed.)

As an alternative, could you look for a scenting product (frebreeze?) or a something like a wrinkle release spray that might allow you to add the cleanliness-associated scent markers (maybe just to his items) after they have been cleaned?

• Like 2

I like All Free & Clear, and use a Gain original dryer sheet on the clothes for DH. I don’t find eco detergents get things as clean as A few of us had contact dermatitis from Tide, even Tide Free & Clear. 

My DH really prefers heavy purfumes too. He always says it smells clean when someone left damp clothes in the washer overnight and I end up re-washing with Odoban. 

1 hour ago, ArteHaus said:

We use Zum (Frankincense and Myrrh). Smells great, clean ingredients. However, the scent isn’t going to be as loud as regular laundry detergents.

Everyone has such different reactions to scents!  We have someone who is currently living in our house that uses Zum.  It’s not the most horrible scent in the world to me, but my washing machine always reeks after he’s used it.    Ugh!  But I’m a low fragrance kind of person.  

Anne

Can you just use...less? That way the toll on the environment (not exactly sure your specific concern) is minimised and your DH gets his familiar laundry scent?

I use very, very little detergent. "Natural" detergents tend to gum up my machines so I just use a tiny amount of Tide Sport per load, around a teaspoon. I notice that the machine and clothes smell funky when other people in my house do laundry and use more detergent; when that happens I'll run towels with a vinegar rinse to clean the build up.

I go through one bottle of Tide every 12-13 months for our household of 2.5, so I'm really not concerned about my addition to plastic waste. Buying several bottles of something that doesn't work as well would have far more impact.

• Like 2

We used Charlie's Soap for years.  It's unscented and concentrated.  The only reason we quit is because Amazon changed my Subscribe&Save plan and it didn't work for us any more.

With it being unscented you could choose an additive of your choice for the rinse cycle or dryer.  Find something your dh associates with "clean" and add that in.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Can you just use...less? That way the toll on the environment (not exactly sure your specific concern) is minimised and your DH gets his familiar laundry scent?

I use very, very little detergent. "Natural" detergents tend to gum up my machines so I just use a tiny amount of Tide Sport per load, around a teaspoon. I notice that the machine and clothes smell funky when other people in my house do laundry and use more detergent; when that happens I'll run towels with a vinegar rinse to clean the build up.

I go through one bottle of Tide every 12-13 months for our household of 2.5, so I'm really not concerned about my addition to plastic waste. Buying several bottles of something that doesn't work as well would have far more impact.

never thought about using less....that might be the ticket.....I will at least try that since I just bought a new jug of Gain.  Can't hurt....and our clothes don't get super dirty because of a job or something....

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

We used Charlie's Soap for years.  It's unscented and concentrated.  The only reason we quit is because Amazon changed my Subscribe&Save plan and it didn't work for us any more.

With it being unscented you could choose an additive of your choice for the rinse cycle or dryer.  Find something your dh associates with "clean" and add that in.

I could try that....but I am not sure what "additive" I could use that is natural and smells like "clean".....suggestions???

1 minute ago, kfeusse said:

I could try that....but I am not sure what "additive" I could use that is natural and smells like "clean".....suggestions???

I have friends that add a few drops of an essential oil on dryer balls.  It adds a light scent to their clothes.

I have a child who breaks out in hives with several things so we're not able to do that, but I do like the end result.  It's just a hint of something.

2 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

I have friends that add a few drops of an essential oil on dryer balls.  It adds a light scent to their clothes.

I have a child who breaks out in hives with several things so we're not able to do that, but I do like the end result.  It's just a hint of something.

I have tired that....but it's not enough for my hubby to be satisfied.  

I would love to switch to a natural laundry detergent, but I find that they simply do not work.  Tide or Persil are the only things that really get our clothes clean. If anyone was a die-hard Tide user and was able to find something that works as well, please chime in. OP, could you use a natural laundry detergent with some of those Gain scented pellets. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Shelydon said:

I would love to switch to a natural laundry detergent, but I find that they simply do not work.  Tide or Persil are the only things that really get our clothes clean.

Same. Unfortunately I've found that most "natural" laundry and cleaning products don't work. And we're not dirty people. Yard work is the grubbiest we get.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, MEmama said:

I use very, very little detergent. 

I do that, too, and make a jug last a year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

Same. Unfortunately I've found that most "natural" laundry and cleaning products don't work. And we're not dirty people. Yard work is the grubbiest we get.

I have kids that work in horse barns and others that sweat buckets in sports. Their clothes are gross. 

We buy the largest size of All Free & Clear from Costco and it lasts for months in our household varying from 2-3 adults at times. I occasionally do a pre wash soak of smelly items in warm water and vinegar or baking soda. 

For really stinky clothes like sweaty yoga workout wear and teen athletic garments, I found an OxyClean presoak was what was needed, or certain spots scrubbed with a fels-naphtha bar. I simply haven’t found the “natural” products clean as well.

I don’t know about the laundry detergents, but many Zum products contain patchouli, a distinctive aroma that many find unappealing. I love Zum soaps but can’t use any with that as an ingredient. 

I use Dropps and I like their Fresh & Clean scent. However, I intensely dislike the smell of Tide so probably your guy wouldn’t like mine because it doesn’t smell like that. 

But I agree with AbCD; I no longer wash dh’s clothes with mine. He works in dirty places and is hard on his clothes. I don’t want them in with mine. 

We have a place that makes lotions, soaps, and shower gels.  Their biggest seller, though, is probably laundry detergent. They pack it into a reusable plastic canister.  You can choose your scent or none at all.  Our place is a chain--Buff City--but it might be worth searching for something similar.