Menu

I need to find my passion.... what is yours?

ProudGrandma

14 minutes ago, Jaybee said:

My newer "thing" is being a CASA volunteer. It doesn't take a whole lot of time, but I find it valuable and interesting. You may or may not have a chapter near you, but it may be something you get trained for further afield, but are assigned cases in your town/county.

How difficult was it to become a CASA volunteer? I totally would love this. However it would probably also break my heart over and over again. 

Can you tell me more please?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like the word 'passion' gives too much weight or pressure or long-term commitment to things that could instead be described as giving you satisfaction or bringing you joy or making you laugh or giving you comfort. 

I rediscovered my inner teeny-bopper during our Covid isolation years. I find comfort and joy and emotional release in music again, but I wouldn't necessarily call it a passion. 

• Like 2

On 8/1/2023 at 6:55 PM, kfeusse said:

I dreamt of being a teacher,  but ended up not like teaching in a school,  but did homeschool our 3 kids from beginning to end. 

I don't want to teach or tutor. But the organizing thing does make me happy.  And I have considered doing something with that.. just don't know how or what.  We live in a small rural town.. so not many opportunities to do much of anything. 

It may be too awkward to put yourself out there but if there are young moms at your church or in your community, they might love help organizing. I would totally take someone up on that as a mom of littles if it was offered.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kfeusse said:

How difficult was it to become a CASA volunteer? I totally would love this. However it would probably also break my heart over and over again. 

Can you tell me more please?

I had heard of it, and thought of doing it in an abstract kind of way. But one day I saw an announcement in a little town newsletter that CASA training was being offered. So I called, and the training times had been moved to a time when I was able to do it. I filled out an application, and was interviewed. We had training for six Saturdays--three, a week's break, and three more. (And now I am trying to remember--I think it was six sessions--however many the national organization requires.) There were six of us in the classes. The director of our particular area taught the classes, and they were excellent, and prepared us well. My supervisor is over the county I live in, and under the director. She is also excellent, and offers advice and any help I might need. I was assigned a case a few weeks after the training ended, on the day that my training group was sworn in by the judge. 

The responsibilities are that I am to visit the child/children (if it is a sibling group) once a month in the foster home and talk with the foster parent/s, visit/talk with any caregivers/teachers/therapists each quarter. Depending on the situation, and especially if reunification is a goal, meet with the bio parent/s. Court is usually every three months. Before court, I prepare a court report for the judge, commenting on each set of interviews I have conducted and including my recommendations, which is also shared with interested parties. It is done on a template, so there is a guide to it. My supervisor and I go over it and any questions either of us have, then I officially turn it in to her, and she turns it in to the judge, DHS, and lawyers, etc. With my supervisor, I definitely do not feel alone, but she doesn't micromanage, either. Then I show up at court, and if I have any additional comments at that time, when the judge calls on me, I make the statements at that time. You sign a document at the beginning to commit to the case until it is resolved either by reunification or adoption, if at all possible.

Our particular judge really does read the reports, and makes reference to them occasionally. About a year after I accepted my first case, my supervisor called and asked if I would be interested in taking a second case. Normally, a CASA is only assigned one case at a time, but occasionally, in a rare case, one more case might be assigned. My supervisor thought that I would be a good fit for this second case for several reasons, and I took it. 

When a case is first assigned, there is more work as you get to know and understand the case. As the months go by, it becomes more routine.

I have not been doing this long enough to have had a case completely resolved yet. My cases have both had jumps forward and back. It's a long-haul thing. Hope this helps.

https://nationalcasagal.org

• Like 2

I hope you find something you like! Just wanted to chime in and say I also don't have any hobbies that I enjoy. I'm still in a super busy stage of life where I am in charge of several organizations, but there's nothing that I actually lkke doing. 🤷‍♀️ So, you are not alone or unusual. 

41 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Remember when I said I don’t really want anything?

I remembered something I want.  Red boots.  Maybe someday I will be able to justify tooled, red Frye boots.  But I doubt it.  So there you go.

I strongly encourage you to get the red boots. I have red boots every winter and it is very happiness inducing to wear them. Red boots are the best boots. 

• Like 3