Menu

What does your first grader read?

Lovedtodeath

1/2 hour a day of independent reading. So what do they read? DD has very little interest in reading the books she has been reading for 2 years (Dr. Suess, Syd Hoff, Little Bear), but is not ready for chapter books. We enjoy reading our cultural picture books together. She calls the reader from PS and the SL 2 intermediate readers "baby books", but she likes the non-fiction ones. (I will look for some more of those.) She likes magazines, but I feel like it is wrong to let her read them and not books. She loves the tiara club series, but they are just hard enough that she needs a little help. Any more suggestions from someone with a like child?

My daughter reads a whole variety of things. She likes the Rookie Read-About science books. She likes Henry and Mudge books, Poppleton books, and Magic Treehouse books. She reads the Little House chapter books, Highlights magazine, and Ranger Rick. She reads non-fiction books about dinosaurs. She's going to start working on the Flower Fairies Friends series, but those are a bit too challenging for her just yet.

Tara

Hmmm, what about picture books from the FIAR-type book lists? Would she be interested in those? Madeline, Katy and the Big Snow, things like that? Or, not everyone will agree, but my DD read the Magic Treehouse books at that stage. I agree that there seems to be a tough spot between reading ability and interest at that point. We're mostly past it now, but it was tough to find books for independent reading. Mainly, I filled her bookshelves with everything I could find--picture books, chapter books, Magic Treehouse, nonfiction books--and let her choose at will.

Have you tried taking chapter books slowly...one chapter a day for instance? If so, I would recommend the Judy Moody series. The print is large, there are pictures, and the books are pretty easy reads. My 9 year old is reading them...but trust me...he likes "easy." These are easy for him...would be probably right on level for your 6 year old.

You'd be surprised how fast your dd can progress into chapter books. My son never wanted to read any of those early beginning readers. He didn't like any of them except the Syd Hoff.

But then he got into Nate the Great and with a little help from me in the beginning just ROLLED. He finished every one and- it was quite a leap- but I brought home two Magic Tree House books, and he consumed them in two days! Yes, that's 140 pages in two days. And only 8 weeks before he just *started* on Nate the Great.

Now he's finished all the Magic Tree House books I will allow him to read (about 17 of them) (Some have questionable themes)...and now he is reading the 3rd-4th grade levelled Great Illustrated Classics, the hardback ones scattered throughout the library, found wherever the original classics are.

Anyway...so basically in 6 months my son went from Dr. Seuss to a 4th grade reader and I really didn't do anything except help him over the original hurdle INTO chapter books via Nate the Great.

Hope that helps.

Thanks to everyone for the ideas! I will look into the FIAR books.

You'd be surprised how fast your dd can progress into chapter books. My son never wanted to read any of those early beginning readers. He didn't like any of them except the Syd Hoff.

Anyway...so basically in 6 months my son went from Dr. Seuss to a 4th grade reader and I really didn't do anything except help him over the original hurdle INTO chapter books via Nate the Great.

Hope that helps.

She should be able to do them IMO. She can do 4th grade level when we take turns reading. How do I help her over the hurdle? She didn't like Nate the Great. ;)

Have you tried taking chapter books slowly...one chapter a day for instance? If so, I would recommend the Judy Moody series. The print is large, there are pictures, and the books are pretty easy reads. My 9 year old is reading them...but trust me...he likes "easy." These are easy for him...would be probably right on level for your 6 year old.

For chapter books, I assigned a chapter not a time limit until they were fluently into them. Buddy reading helps - She reads a page and I read a page. It helps her get into the flow better and models fluency and she thinks that it is cool that I am doing half of her reading for her.

My dd loved the Judy Moody books when she was just starting chapters. I thought she would never quit reading them. They do have big text which helps. And the kids love the books. She would read and re-read them and laugh. They helped to propel her over that hurdle. Another series she liked was The Magic Treehouse.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
How do I help her over the hurdle? She didn't like Nate the Great. ;)

Maybe try Amelia Bedelia. My kids think she's hilarious. I find her a bit annoying but she's right about the same level as Nate the Great, although not in chapter form.

http://www.amazon.com/Amelia-Bedelia-Collection-Read-Book/dp/0060542381/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1229873780&sr=8-1

Also, the Frog and Toad series and Mouse Tales by Arnold Lobel.

Kristina

Maybe try Amelia Bedelia. My kids think she's hilarious. I find her a bit annoying but she's right about the same level as Nate the Great, although not in chapter form.

http://www.amazon.com/Amelia-Bedelia-Collection-Read-Book/dp/0060542381/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1229873780&sr=8-1

Also, the Frog and Toad series and Mouse Tales by Arnold Lobel.

Kristina

Thank you for the suggestions! These are all SL 2 Intermediate readers. You know, the ones that I bought, and she hates?:lol: She has no trouble at all reading them, they are just "boring".:tongue_smilie:

Well that's a different story then, you're right. the key in that case is to find something that has her "hooked" on reading...for my son it was Nate the Great.

If she reads at a 4th grade level, have you tried Magic Tree House yet? Also, have you tried just having her have 30 minutes per day of silent reading? if she has nothing else to do but read, she may get into it, once she's resigned to sitting still...

But you know there isn't really any harm in her continuing to read good picture books, as long as she's getting plenty of practice. I say all the time how much one can learn from picture books, and the illustrations are wonderful. So if she can read at a 4th grade level and dislikes reading chapter books, I would personally focus on beautiful picture books instead of early readers like Amelia Bedelia, Syd Hoff, etc. I think she'd grow her vocab more that way, and the early readers really art pretty boring, IMO.

FIAR has great lists of books to get you started.

Well that's a different story then, you're right. the key in that case is to find something that has her "hooked" on reading...for my son it was Nate the Great.

If she reads at a 4th grade level, have you tried Magic Tree House yet? Also, have you tried just having her have 30 minutes per day of silent reading? if she has nothing else to do but read, she may get into it, once she's resigned to sitting still...

But you know there isn't really any harm in her continuing to read good picture books, as long as she's getting plenty of practice. I think she'd grow her vocab more that way, and the early readers really art pretty boring, IMO.

FIAR has great lists of books to get you started.

I haven't tried Magic Tree House. I agree that there is nothing wrong with picture books. I just need suggestions for those too. I will check out the FIAR list. And duh! I have the Jim Trelease Read Aloud Handbook. I didn't think to check there.

Thanks again everyone.:)

She calls the reader from PS and the SL 2 intermediate readers "baby books", but she likes the non-fiction ones. (I will look for some more of those.)

I'd recommend The Magic School Bus chapter books and Franny K Stein. They're beginner chapter books, as easy to read as Little Bear but with a more grown up feel to them. One is about science and the other about a mad scientist. My non-fiction nut ate them up. The Usborne Young Reading series is at this level too. They have a pretty good selection for kids who need less babyish content.

I'd recommend The Magic School Bus chapter books and Franny K Stein. They're beginner chapter books, as easy to read as Little Bear but with a more grown up feel to them. One is about science and the other about a mad scientist. My non-fiction nut ate them up. The Usborne Young Reading series is at this level too. They have a pretty good selection for kids who need less babyish content.

Thank you!! Now I have lots of suggestions. I knew the hive would have some.

Series my reluctant reader has enjoyed (reading level is my guesstimate):

Rainbow Magic Fairies (2nd grade level)

Pony-Crazed Princess (2nd grade level)

Katie Kazoo (2nd-3rd grade level)

My Secret Unicorn (2nd-3rd grade level)

Animal Ark Pets (3rd grade level) - not the regular Animal Ark books because sometimes the pet dies in those

Pet Finders (4th grade level)

Samurai Mysteries (4th grade level)

Five Ancestors (4th grade level)

Ember series (4th-5th grade level)

Percy Jackson and the Olympians (5th grade level)

LionBoy (5th grade level)

Artemis Fowl (5th-6th grade level)

Children of the Lamp (5th-6th grade level)

Warriors (5th-6th grade level)

My boy first grader likes: Stink and Judy Moody, The Littles, Encyclopedia Brown, the weather fairy twaddle, Ralph S. Mouse-type books, Clyde Bulla books (A Lion to Guard Us, The Chalk Box Kid, etc.). I just bought him the Water Horse, so we'll see how that goes. He's fearless and will read anything put in front of him.

Thanks everyone! I have a list of 27 books to get from the library now. I will probably get 5 at a time so she can peruse and choose through those.

Series my reluctant reader has enjoyed (reading level is my guesstimate):

Rainbow Magic Fairies (2nd grade level)

Pony-Crazed Princess (2nd grade level)

Katie Kazoo (2nd-3rd grade level)

My Secret Unicorn (2nd-3rd grade level)

These look perfect!

My boy first grader likes: Stink and Judy Moody, The Littles, Encyclopedia Brown, the weather fairy twaddle, Ralph S. Mouse-type books, Clyde Bulla books (A Lion to Guard Us, The Chalk Box Kid, etc.). I just bought him the Water Horse, so we'll see how that goes. He's fearless and will read anything put in front of him.

Most of those are probably too much for her still. (And since she didn't like Nate the Great I am avoiding mystery types.)

A few more she may enjoy:

Fancy Nancy Series (good for the girly girl;))

Beatrix Potter's books (Peter Rabbit. Squirrel Nutkin, etc.)

Let's Read and Find Out Science series (my ds loves these)

I agree The Magic Treehouse may be great for her. These also come with Research Guides (non-fiction) by the same author.

A few more she may enjoy:

Fancy Nancy Series (good for the girly girl;))

Beatrix Potter's books (Peter Rabbit. Squirrel Nutkin, etc.)

Let's Read and Find Out Science series (my ds loves these)

I agree The Magic Treehouse may be great for her. These also come with Research Guides (non-fiction) by the same author.

Thanks. We looked at the science series on our library web site and she was very excited about them!

...a variety of picture books and science-y stuff from the library (books about animals, etc.), things like Flicka, Ricka, Dicka and Milly-Molly-Mandy, and she also recently expressed an interest in the CLP Nature Readers I've had lying around for years.

My kids that age also like the Cat in the Hat Learning Library series (I Can Name 50 Trees Today, et al).

Thanks to everyone for the ideas! I will look into the FIAR books.

She should be able to do them IMO. She can do 4th grade level when we take turns reading. How do I help her over the hurdle? She didn't like Nate the Great. ;)

My 6 yo DS doesn't like certain books b/c of the lack of white space, larger print and pictures. Add these and he'll read any book. We BOTH really enjoyed the Mercy Watson series by Kate DiCamillo. (I'd sneak them out of his room to read them at night.)

As mentioned, we still do a lot of "buddy" reading. Also, sometimes we'll listen to the audio CD of a book before or after he reads it. This is a treat for him.

KB

I got her 5 books at the library today. Rookie Read about Science: Spiders, Franny K. Stein: Invisifranny, Rainbow Magic Fairies book #1, Small Wolf (An I can read book), and Magic Tree House #5.

She seemed to really like them. She read 5 chapters in the Franny Stein book without any prompting. She needed help with 2 words. So far so good. :) I had never seen Magic Tree House before and they look like they are right at her level. She was reading "How to Eat Fried Worms" taking turns with DH and the Magic Tree House look to be a little easier than that. She also looked at the Small Wolf (she wants to do a Unit Study on Native Americans) and was carrying around the Rainbow Fairy book, though I don't know if she started reading it. I had been getting my reader suggestions from curriculum catalogs... that was my problem!

I will keep referencing this thread. Thanks so much!

I figure that at this age I care more that they learn to love reading than I care what they read. I believe CM refered to some of the books my kids are enjoying to read at first grade as 'twaddle'.

In Australia, the school year coincides with the calender year. DS7 has just finished grade 1, and DS6 will be grade 1 in 2009. DS7 has been reading Little House in the Big Wood as his read-aloud 'reader', and DD6 just started this today. DD6 loves to read any of the Bairenstein Bears, Dr Seuss and Franklin books. DS7 loves Rhold Dahl, Paul Jennings and Captain Underpants (I know...but he loves reading, and that's the goal for me at this age) as these three all appeal to his sense of humour.

We've enjoyed reading books such as Charlotte's Web, Stuart Little, Botternsnikes and Gumbles, Faraway Tree and Wishing Tree together this year.

At what age/stage do people think I should start caring more about what

I think that for the most part "twaddle" does not exist. Studies have shown a growth in vocabulary and reading ability from the Sweet Valley Kids series. (see The Read Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease) Looking over my list, some would be considered twaddle, but she still is learning. The two words she asked for reading help on were new vocabulary for her.

I was always way ahead in all of my classes and wrote very good reports, debated with my grammar teacher (and won) and I read tons of Nancy Drew and Sweet Valley books.

Hmmm, maybe she can read the Laura Ingles Wilder books? They don't have really hard vocabulary, just longer chapters.

There are also the Little House chapter books, which are specifically made for younger readers. I mentioned them in my first post, but perhaps I wasn't clear enough about what they are. Each is organized around a theme (for example, my daughter is reading Animal Adventures), and stories from the whole series that pertain to animals are re-written for younger kids.

Tara

This is a great thread, btw. I just put some of the Grandma's Attic series on hold!

Another one I just thought of is the Cobble Street Cousins by Cynthia Rylant. I read a few to my daughter when she was about 4. She enjoyed them. I am not quite sure what the age level is, but if your daughter can read Franny K. Stein, I'm going to guess that she can read Cobble Street Cousins. Amazon calls them "Ready-for-Chapters."

Tara

Sorry for my serial posting ... I was looking at the Cobble Street Cousins on Amazon and then I looked at the "customers also bought" thing, which always lists 17 pages of books similar to the original books you looked at. I get a lot of ideas from that. You might want to try it, too. One of the "also bought" books was from the Lighthouse Family series, which would also be appropriate for your daughter.

Tara

I was going to mention these. Rylant is a gift to child (and adult) readers.

The Light House books are among the most wonderful picture/chapter books I've ever read/seen. The Cobble Street cousins series is a joy. Rylant is the author of the Henry & Mudge books, which all of my children enjoyed.

For kids just a wee bit older, our favs are The Islander, and The Van Gogh Cafe.

Sorry for my serial posting ... I was looking at the Cobble Street Cousins on Amazon and then I looked at the "customers also bought" thing, which always lists 17 pages of books similar to the original books you looked at. I get a lot of ideas from that. You might want to try it, too. One of the "also bought" books was from the Lighthouse Family series, which would also be appropriate for your daughter.

Tara

Edited by LibraryLover

My kids pick out books from the Beginning Readers at the library. These seem to be just the right length for either them reading them to me or me reading them. They love to be able to pick them out themselves and it seems like they are more interested in them, too.

We read many of the Begining to Read biographies, too. We also like Little Bear books, Pinky and Rex, and Hank the Cowdog is a big hit.