Menu

Well drats...A/C on fritz and we have a heat advisory in affect

stephanier.1765

I have places I could go but I have no idea what to do about the cats. I could grab a couple and take them to my son's house but we have at least one that cannot be caught and, once the catching and crating starts, there's at least another that will be impossible possibly two. Ugh! Of course, the A/C repair companies are already slammed with people needing help. Two have us on the list to try to get to us today but not a guarantee. Should I start moving cats now even though it's still livable in the house? It will really stress them out, especially since my son has two large dogs. They can put them in a separate room but those dogs are loud and sound terrifying to someone who doesn't know they are playing. I hate this game of trying to make the right decisions.

ETA: the cats can already feel my stress and are being wary. Catching them is going to be hard.

Edited (2pm) Technician is on his way.

Edited by stephanier.1765
  • Sad 7

Just now, mommyoffive said:

Are they outside cats? 

Do you have a basement? 

How about a hotel? 

I am so sorry this is happening to you.  I hope they can get you in today.

No, they are indoor only and no basement. I don't mind a hotel but we could stay with my parents while the cats stayed with my son. However, catching all the cats is going to be a nightmare and near on impossible. And the stress they are going to feel is already stressing me out.

• Sad 2

We keep both a window unit and portable AC unit for this reason. 

Honestly the cost of a decent window unit will be a drop in the bucket compared to what it’s going to cost to repair your main AC, so that’s my suggestion. It’s also cheaper that a couple of nights in a hotel. I’m sorry you’re dealing with this. 

eta not suggesting a window unit as a permanent replacement—just to get by until the main unit is fixed. 🙂 I am always surprised by how well they work. One unit and a couple of strategically placed box fans…

Edited by popmom
  • Like 4

Just now, popmom said:

We keep both a window unit and portable AC unit for this reason. 

Honestly the cost of a decent window unit will be a drop in the bucket compared to what it’s going to cost to repair your main AC, so that’s my suggestion. It’s also cheaper that a couple of nights in a hotel. I’m sorry you’re dealing with this. 

Yes, great idea.  Can you go grab one?

Do whatever you can to keep the house cool.  Close the drapes, don't use the oven.  

• Like 3

We don't have central air and almost never run the window units even if it's super hot. We rely on fans. The cats are fine--they all have their favorite places to sleep when it's hot and we leave extra water in strategic places. They all like to play with ice cubes in their water fountain 🙂 . They are really clever at keeping themselves cool.

That said, we don't have the kind of heat you do so my vote is on buying one or two portable units for the meantime. It might seem extravagant, but summers are only going to get hotter and emergencies more common and I'm all for preparation. I wonder if they can be run off a generator? 

• Like 1

Just now, MEmama said:

We don't have central air and almost never run the window units even if it's super hot. We rely on fans. The cats are fine--they all have their favorite places to sleep when it's hot and we leave extra water in strategic places. They all like to play with ice cubes in their water fountain 🙂 . They are really clever at keeping themselves cool.

That said, we don't have the kind of heat you do so my vote is on buying one or two portable units for the meantime. It might seem extravagant, but summers are only going to get hotter and emergencies more common and I'm all for preparation. I wonder if they can be run off a generator? 

With the correctly powered generator, you can run your whole house. They are fairly common here due to all the severe weather we get.

• Like 2

Another thing the cats might like is those pressure activated gel cooling mats--or, of course, an electric one. They work really well--I keep one under my sheets and it cools me off several degrees. I found an extra large one for $20-30 on Amazon but I just saw some at my local PetSmart too.

• Like 1

Just now, popmom said:

With the correctly powered generator, you can run your whole house. They are fairly common here due to all the severe weather we get.

Oh, true. We have a portable generator we use to run our pellet stove for heat security so I was thinking that size. The whole house generators are awesome.

• Like 1

Just found someone who could schedule us between 4-6. I managed to get 4 of the 5 cats to my son's house. They are not happy but at least they are cool. I'm going to do what I can to stay home and catch the 5th because I can't in good conscience leave him to the heat. I'm already dripping with sweat. He's a scaredy cat, quite literally. He still more feral than pet, even though that has been making huge strides in the last month. I think I'm going to put our box fan (if I can find it) in our smallest, coolest room and hang out there. Hopefully, he will join me.

BTW, I was uber sneaky in corralling the cats. They love, LOVE, going into the garage, so I left the crates in there while I would casually pet a cat, pick up a cat, and cat is thrilled she is going in the garage so doesn't fight me, and then bam, right into a crate. LOL I'd catch two, take them out through the garage door instead of the house so the other cats weren't alerted to what was going on and take them to my son's house. Came home and did it again. Best cat catching in the history of this house.

Edited by stephanier.1765
  • Like 7
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Sneezyone said:

We had to replace our upstairs unit this week. May the odds be ever in your favor. We only had to wait 4 days for relief (six counting the two days it took to get a tech out) so there’s that.

I'm so sorry! Waiting for a replacement this time of year is a nightmare. I think, for today, the odds were in our favor. It wasn't the cheapest fix but, at least for now, we don't need a new unit. By the time the tech got here, it was 82 in the house but it is now a much better 78. Hopefully by bedtime, it will be down to our usual 75. Whew, I'm exhausted by the outdoor heat just transporting kitties back and forth. 

• Like 11