Menu

PSA: lithium batteries in the household -- an increasing risk

Halftime Hope

There are an increasing number of lithium batteries embedded inside household appliances now, everything from battery banks to small screen devices to medical gear. Some of the batteries are even in higher risk places and can become degraded due to environmental conditions. I think we've all seen news reports of EV batteries bursting into flame and the hazard those can be, because they cannot be extinguished: they have to burn themselves out and they often pump out noxious fumes for days. 

We had a automobile jump starting device that's several years old, and we had brought it inside to charge it several days ago. It sat on the dining table, untouched. This morning when dh picked it up, the plastic casing was obviously split/opened up. I immediately thought it looked like an expanded battery. He started to unscrew the case, dropped the whole thing on the floor, picked up and continued unscrewing it on the kitchen counter, and it started spewing smoke and fire (like a firecracker without the noise) and hissing. He picked it up with his bare hands and ran about 15 feet to the back door, and fumbled with the door, while the battery spewed billowing white smoke everywhere.

He hands got grey scorch marks, but were not injured and he washed them off under the hose for several minutes. We called poison control (from the back porch) and they said to get everyone to fresh air, and go to the hospital if anyone started having respiratory effects. I was able to get a respirator (yep the kind with canister filters) in the garage without having to go into the house unprotected, and we opened up the entire house for several hours and gave it a good airing.

Moral of the story #1: don't mess with a battery inside the house. From other stories we've found on the internet. if you see or feel something suspicious, don't sniff the battery. CO2 is a large part of what is off-gassed in actual lithium batteries, but phosphorous, lithium salts, toxic iron compounds, and hydrofluoric acid can be in the mix, too.

Moral #2: if you drop a lithium or NIMH battery, consider it busted. (Yes, based on many stories on the internet, dropping a battery is bad news.)

Please feel free to learn from our mistake.  🙂 

Edited by Halftime Hope
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 12

We have a fire proof charging bag for ours thankfully as one went the other day. It was a small pop and a bit of smoke thanks to the bag. Thermal runaway is the main issue. DH says they don’t stop charging once they’re fully charged, so you need to pretty much babysit when charging.

About a week ago in my city, a golf cart with a lithium battery, which was housed inside a garage, caught fire which then in turn caught the home on fire. Luckily, no one was hurt. There has to be a better way, a better battery. I sure hope they are working on finding one. I'm so glad no one was hurt or more damage happened in your case.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/2023/06/21/home-destroyed-in-e-town-after-lithium-batteries-in-golf-cart-catch-fire/

There are different rechargeable batteries out there. They all have their pros and cons. Things like how much charge they can have for the size, discharge rates (in use and not in use), how many times you can charge and discharge, etc.

Yes we would love a totally safe, reliable, high capacity battery. People are trying to find those and pour resources into making/finding something capable of that (the person who finds that will make $$$$$). 

In general, if you see any deformation or fishy stuff on your batteries stop using them and get rid of them. Like if your laptop or cell phone starts to bulge get rid of it. Never poke around 

6 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Thermal runaway is the main issue. DH says they don’t stop charging once they’re fully charged, so you need to pretty much babysit when charging.

Although technically the technology doesn't in many applications the battery and/or the charger will have circuitry that monitors and prevents this from happening. There is regulations and stuff surrounding this that manufacturers have to meet. A lot of the regulations are per application so, cell phones and laptops may have more stringent rules than a scooter or something that a less used or newer product.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Clarita said:

There are different rechargeable batteries out there. They all have their pros and cons. Things like how much charge they can have for the size, discharge rates (in use and not in use), how many times you can charge and discharge, etc.

Yes we would love a totally safe, reliable, high capacity battery. People are trying to find those and pour resources into making/finding something capable of that (the person who finds that will make $$$$$). 

In general, if you see any deformation or fishy stuff on your batteries stop using them and get rid of them. Like if your laptop or cell phone starts to bulge get rid of it. Never poke around 

Although technically the technology doesn't in many applications the battery and/or the charger will have circuitry that monitors and prevents this from happening. There is regulations and stuff surrounding this that manufacturers have to meet. A lot of the regulations are per application so, cell phones and laptops may have more stringent rules than a scooter or something that a less used or newer product.

Yes true. There’s also a lot of eBay imports etc that don’t necessarily meet standards I think. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, athena1277 said:

Those charging bags look great, but what about laptops or other larger devices?  What about all the things that we don’t realize have those batteries?  

There are larger options and even full on esky size lock boxes. E-scooters might be a bit harder. It’s a problem that needs solving for electric cars to become a safer alternative as well. 

18 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/products/electronics-technology/lithium-ion-batteries

There are some good general safety guidelines here.

Sorry to hijack your thread a bit @Halftime Hope it’s one of DHs pet topics 😂

I appreciate the additional information.

Another hijack: https://www.reuters.com/world/us/john-goodenough-nobel-laureate-battery-pioneer-dies-100-2023-06-26/

The guy who invented lithium ion batteries just died at 100 years old.

One of my kids was given a couple different cheapy Amazon toys with rechargeable batteries for his birthday. I wasn’t really thinking about it, but now I’m thinking those are probably exactly the kind that are higher risk (they are smallish ones at least).