Menu

poop question! (magnesium have opposite effect???)

ktgrok

So, for the last few years I've had off and on again loose stool. Always in the morning. I figured some early form of IBS, and I know certain veggies (brassicas) make it worse. Ignore it and take immodium if bad. 

Also, I've been on prilosec for a LONG time to due hernia, poorly working LES valve, etc. No, weaning off isn't an option. So, doctor at one visit mentioned I should take magnesium as it isn't absorbed well if you take prilosec, and often people are deficient. 

I did NOT take magnesium regularly, because I was afraid it would make loose stool worse since it is a laxative. Yes, I did buy the non laxative kind once but the pills are big and I hate taking pills. the gummy kind are the laxative type. 

But, a while back I went ahead and decided to get the gummy kind, and I could always stop taking it if it made tummy worse. 

Y'all, it does the opposite! I've gone on and off a few times, and it is VERY clear now that if I'm taking it regularly, stool is normal. Great, even. If i stop it, I develop loose stool, and the longer I'm off the worse it is. 

Explain this! I'm fascinated but baffled! Everything I read said low magnesium causes constipation, not loose stool!

It is my (very limited) understanding that magnesium is required for all kinds of body processes to function optimally. Heart, lungs, muscles, digestion, mental health, etc. Low magnesium can show up as a multitude of seemingly unrelated symptoms. It sounds like intestinal/colon function is one of your symptoms.

Edited by fraidycat
  • Like 3

IME with a lifetime of IBS anything can happen, and often what happens is the opposite of what's expected. A good example for me are prunes. Everybody believes they're nature's miracle for constipation. They have the exact opposite effect on me.

With IBS you can follow general guidelines but I don't assume anything will work as expected.

• Like 1

I have IBS and I do think stuff getting blocked up somewhere can cause loose stools or constipation for a bit until it sorts itself out.  My guess is it's creating a more consistent stool that keeps moving through the large bowel and it's less likely to get hung up somewhere.  

• Like 1

Have you considered having your hernia repaired? I had mine repaired last year and was able to go off the prilosec. This seem to fix a lot of my malabsorption problems especially B12 and magnesium. 

As far as magnesium, it works by drawing water into the bowel. The correct amount of the right kind can help form a soft bulky stool. If you have IBS, taking it on a regular basis can help even everything out and make things more consistent. It seems like it is just a matter of finding the right kind and dose for yourself. 

I don't have IBS but I have also had unexpected experiences with magnesium. I used to take a very mild magnesium complex and frequently had watery stools. After my neurological problems I had much more difficulty going to the bathroom so they changed me to a straight magnesium citrate which I would have expected to make things more the way they used to be but instead it has made things more normal.   

Edited by KidsHappen
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Is magnesium citrate the better one to take?

Yes, this is the most bioavailable form. It is also important to make sure you drink plenty of fluids because magnesium works by drawing water into the bowel. If there is not enough water available then it can cause constipation. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, KidsHappen said:

Yes, this is the most bioavailable form. It is also important to make sure you drink plenty of fluids because magnesium works by drawing water into the bowel. If there is not enough water available then it can cause constipation. 

Does this mean it is the best one to be absorbed into your body?

12 hours ago, KidsHappen said:

Have you considered having your hernia repaired? I had mine repaired last year and was able to go off the prilosec. This seem to fix a lot of my malabsorption problems especially B12 and magnesium. 

As far as magnesium, it works by drawing water into the bowel. The correct amount of the right kind can help form a soft bulky stool. If you have IBS, taking it on a regular basis can help even everything out and make things more consistent. It seems like it is just a matter of finding the right kind and dose for yourself. 

I don't have IBS but I have also had unexpected experiences with magnesium. I used to take a very mild magnesium complex and frequently had watery stools. After my neurological problems I had much more difficulty going to the bathroom so they changed me to a straight magnesium citrate which I would have expected to make things more the way they used to be but instead it has made things more normal.   

I had it repaired once already, and it reformed, or a new one did, either way I have one again. And the first surgery left me with some major swallowing issues for a while - there was a lot of swelling internally that basically closed off my esophagus. I had bariatric surgery at the same time, a gastric sleeve, but my particular complication with swallowing was from the hernia repair part, not the stomach part. Go figure. I REALLY don't want to do that again if I don't have to. And at this point, the next step would probably be to convert to an RNY gastric bypass. Which WOULD fix the reflux issues most likely, as the part of the stomach they leave has less acid producing cells or something, but has it's own issues with absorption. So if I am going to have absorption issues either way, I'd rather skip the surgery, lol. 

• Sad 3

5 hours ago, ktgrok said:

I had it repaired once already, and it reformed, or a new one did, either way I have one again. And the first surgery left me with some major swallowing issues for a while - there was a lot of swelling internally that basically closed off my esophagus. I had bariatric surgery at the same time, a gastric sleeve, but my particular complication with swallowing was from the hernia repair part, not the stomach part. Go figure. I REALLY don't want to do that again if I don't have to. And at this point, the next step would probably be to convert to an RNY gastric bypass. Which WOULD fix the reflux issues most likely, as the part of the stomach they leave has less acid producing cells or something, but has it's own issues with absorption. So if I am going to have absorption issues either way, I'd rather skip the surgery, lol. 

Ah, makes sense. I had swallowing issues for awhile, much longer than I expected but they finally cleared up and now I am having them again. I am supposed to go to my gastroenterologist to have my esophagus stretched for I think the fourth time now. I am just waiting until my hubby is employed again. In the meantime, my neurologist is beginning to think the swallowing problem is due to a degenerative muscular disorder and has been doing testing to figure that out.