Menu

TMI please reassure me about my reaction to dental work

Drama Llama

I am having some dental work done.   Last week was the first time I've had local anesthesia for dental work since I was about 10, and maybe the first time I've had local anesthesia at all in that time, and yesterday was the second.    

Anyway, last week, I had one episode of diarrhea about 10 hours after the appointment.  I have anxiety about making people I love sick, and I had literally just cooked and served dinner to Pop, and my youngest BIL and SIL who were there with my 1 week old niece, so I kind of freaked out that I had some stomach bug that would infect them, but no one else got sick.

Last night, about the same amount of time later, I woke up with the same symptom.  Now it's gone.  

I spent 45 minutes yesterday evening snuggling that now 2 week old.  I'm supposed to spend time today and tomorrow cooking for a family gathering that includes lots of elderly people, plus the baby and a high risk toddler.  To make it worse I'm not actually cooking most of it, because it's summer and so I'm making mostly various cold things, so there won't be heat to kill any germs.  

If I don't have more symptoms I'm fine right?   This is apparently just how my body reacts, and I should go ahead with my weekend as planned, unless I have more symptoms.  Right?

Sorry I'm a mess. 

It probably has nothing to do with germs.  It could have been histamine, hormones, or something that irritated your gut like too many onions. Anything really.  If you were sick you'd have more symptoms.  And even if you ARE sick, as long as you properly wash your hands you shouldn't get anyone else sick unless they linger in a bathroom where you flushed diarrhea.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Halftime Hope said:

If this were me, I'd wash my hands really well, and spend the rest of the energy cleaning the bathroom I'd used, just for good measure. There's probably something the dentist used that your body is reacting to.

I always wash my hands!  

What energy?  Is that a thing I am supposed to have?  LOL

Googling seems to indicate that minor GI upset is a thing that can be a result of both mouth bacteria being stirred up and a reaction to chemicals used in dental care. I really wouldn’t worry about one instance of diarrhea.  If it persisted, then maybe.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Googling seems to indicate that minor GI upset is a thing that can be a result of both mouth bacteria being stirred up and a reaction to chemicals used in dental care. I really wouldn’t worry about one instance of diarrhea.  If it persisted, then maybe.  

Can I give that bacteria to a baby or an old person?