Menu

Meal Plan

alysee

Can we get an ongoing thread for what you're going to be making and eating? I need inspiration every once in a while.

1. Rainbow Quinoa Salad

2. Black Bean Burgers

3. Pizza

4. Broccoli Impossible Pie

5. Tofu Fried Rice

6. Mac and Cheese

7. Leftovers

Right now. . . Ballpark burgers and whatever we can scrounge and cook quickly in the air fryer 😬.  

is healthy a stipulation?  🤣 

We're coming to the end of the spring crazy with my dd's graduation tonight and a quick beach trip for the family this weekend. Next week I will figure it all out. Ha ha.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

DH is grilling burgers for supper, with cheese, buns, lettuce & tomatoes. and I’ll make corn on the cob and roasted sweet potatoes as sides. 

I’ll have a giant salad, maybe with a handful of canned 3 bean salad on top because I’m craving it.

Tonight we are having a South-African casserole called bobotie (pronounced ba-boo-tea).  Its made with curried ground/minced beef.

The recipe calls for chutney and we use a local brand called Mrs, Balls which I see is available on Amazon, but I think any fruit chutney will work.

Ingredients

• 500g lean minced (ground) beef
  • 2 onions, finely chopped
  • 1 large clove garlic, crushed
  • 1 carrot, grated
  • 30ml (2T) oil
  • 2 slices bread
  • 250ml (1cup) milk
  • 2 eggs
  • 15ml (1T) mild curry powder
  • 5ml (1t) turmeric
  • 5ml (1t) ground cinnamon
  • 2,5ml (1/2t) ground coriander
  • 10ml (2t) salt
  • 2,5ml (1/2t) pepper
  • 30ml (2T) wine or vinegar or lemon juice
  • 125ml (1/2c) seedless raisins
  • 45ml (3T) chutney

Method

• Preheat oven to 180oC
  • Heat oil and butter in large pan and fry onions, garlic and carrot.  Set aside.
  • Brown the mince and break up with a fork.
  • Soak bread in milk.
  • Add all dry ingredients and the onions, garlic and carrots and mix well.
  • Squeeze milk from the bread, mash and add to the mixture. 
  • Mix in chutney
  • Add 125ml (1/2c) of the milk and reserve the rest.
  • Add 1 egg and mix well.
  • Spoon the mixture into a greased oven dish and spread the mixture.
  • Mix the remaining egg and milk and pour over the mixture.
  • Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes or until the egg and milk mixture on top is firm.

Serve with rice

• Like 2

We usually just do oatmeal (with peanut butter, raisins, and a little maple syrup) and apples for breakfast, or granola (oats, flax seed, chia seed, chopped almonds, coconut flakes, pumpkin puree, maple syrup, cinnamon) with milk and bananas. Minimalist Baker's chocolate chia pudding is also good but a bit pricey (well, to be eaten as the main part of the meal instead of a topping.. for 8 people including a teen boy, anyway) so it's kept to an occasional treat. 

For lunch today, we had some fresh homemade bread with cream cheese, avocado, cucumber, and tomato with "Everything But the Bagel" seasoning. 

Tonight for dinner we're having vegan sloppy joes (using kidney beans) with baked sweet potato fries (I season them with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, and smoked paprika). For dessert, "nice cream" made with bananas and frozen cherries. 🙂

• Like 2

This week:

Monday: Chicken Quesadillas, Guac, Homemade Chips

Tuesday: Taco Salad w/left. chicken, Cheesy tortillas (cheese melted on a corn tortilla)

Wednesday: White Bean Chicken Chil

Thursday: Eat Out

Friday: Juicy Air fried Shrimp, a selection of cheeses, crackers, homemade mozzarella cheese sticks

Saturday: Grilled Chicken, Herb Roasted Carrots

Sunday: Turkey Sliders, Taco Slaw

Monday: Probably Eat Out, after working the city's Memorial Day parade/picnic (why eat out, you ask? It's hot dogs and chips. I can't eat hot dogs... and it's over by 4... so eat out & grab a beer on the way home, probably with some of the other volunteers)

• Like 2

Tonight I'm making thick cut pork chops, roasted potatoes, a wild rice pilaf, salad, and applesauce.

Tomorrow:  The weather is supposed to be nice so we may roast hot dogs

Earlier in the week I made chicken pot pie.  Today for lunch we had the frozen Teriyaki from Aldi, to which I added chicken.  

• Like 1

Today: Asian cucumber salad, veggie fried rice

Friday: tofu scramble, roasted broccoli/sweet potato/chickpea salad, hummus (trying Nisha Vora's recipe)

Saturday: chili, cornbread, fruit salad

Sunday: pineapple-black bean bowls

Monday: non-chicken sandwiches, pineapple slaw

Tuesday: black beans, tomatoes, leafies, corn, tortillas, salsa/guac

Wednesday: lasagna soup, salad

Thursday: Indian bowls, smoothies

Friday: vegetable lo mein

Saturday: Vegan Richa's cheeseburger sheet pan dinner

• Like 2

Tonight is Greek salad with chx (or mexican food leftover from eating out last night - kids will likely choose that.)

Tomorrow - eggroll in a bowl, fried rice

Saturday - grilled burgers and hotdogs with friends. I am taking green salad and potato salad.

Sunday - pork chops, asparagus, cauliflower, snd a starchy side dish. 

B’fast and lunch are oyo here. Eggs, yogurt, granola, pb, cheese, fruit, loads of veggies here to choose from. Plus leftovers.

• Like 1

I made stuffed (red) bell peppers for dinner.

I mixed up my typical approach and used freshly cooked (from dried) small fava beans in place of lentils or meat.

Instead of doing rice of cauliflower ice, I did a combination of both. I had some yummy Afghani basmati rice leftover, that I'd pan-roasted with butter prior to cooking and cooked with dried cranberries and prices.

To that I added more herbs, spices, garlic, and the remnants of a well-seasoned yogurt marinade that I used for grilling chicken earlier in the week (that was not "used").

I like making "stuffed" dishes. They make for nice leftovers and meals for my wife to take to work.

Bill

• Like 2

This afternoon we found a treasure trove of oyster mushrooms on a dead poplar tree in our yard, hooray!  So I switched my plan from broccoli and pork stir fry to foraged mushroom gravy over rice, yum.

• Like 1

My plan for next week:

Mon: B-orange pecan oatmeal, L-mushroom soup, D-pork butt, cole slaw, veg

Tue: B-yogurt & fruit, L-chef salad, D-peanut stew

Wed: B-smoothie, L-hummus/veg sandwich, D-chicken cabbage salad

Thur: B-apple & almond butter, L-zucchini slaw, D-chorizo egg dinner

Fri: B-sweet potato toast & guac, L-salad w/chicken, D-swordfish, spinach, zucc

Sat (only plan dinners on weekends) chicken Parisienne, artichokes & peas

Sun: steak pizzaiola, potato salad, veg