Menu

May Healthy Eating

Selkie

Wednesday

breakfast- keto cinnamon blueberry granola with coconut yogurt 

lunch - scrambled eggs with onions, mushrooms and mixed greens;  1/2 flaxseed muffin, dark chocolate.

Dinner- Took an Oggi gf vegan Siciliano pizza (cauliflower crust, Impossible meat, vegan cheese, tomato sauce) and added bell peppers, mixed greens.   Had a salad on the side (mixed greens, carrots, peas, corn and green beans).

Eggs before bedtime

• Like 4

Wednesday

Breakfast--Slammed down a few carrot sticks before class. After class I had two eggs, some applesauce, and some chai tea with plain oat milk.

Lunch--beans and rice

Snack--Chocolate/peanutbutter gf granola bar from Trader Joe's. Also had some sesame rice crackers with a vegan spread from Trader Joe's.

Dinner--rice and seasoned ground turkey 

• Like 5

Yesterday my oldest woke me with homemade bisuits. I had one biscuit with local honey when my eating window opened, even though I wasn't hungry. Hated to disappoint him.

Lunch was a slice of thin crust supreme pizza that my husband brought me from a new local pizzeria. Dinner was Chicken Salad Chick- buffalo chicken salad and lettuce on a croissant, pickle spear, broccoli salad, mini cookie, and strawberry lemonade. 

• Like 5

Thursday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens and Johnny jump ups. Breakfast bowl with Moro beans, 10 grain cereal, pomegranate, blueberries, raspberries, kiwi, guava, goldenberries, longans, fig, apricot & apricot kernels, elderberries, chokeberries, barberries, goji berries, mulberries, lemon and orange zest, canary melon, mango, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Big salad with lettuces and mustard greens, edamame, cucumber, bell pepper, beets, daikon, tomato, pistachios, everything bagel seasoning, black bean hummus. A mandarin.

Dinner - Butternut squash and spinach ravioli topped with shiitake mushrooms, steamed broccoli, and marinara. A leftover flax biscuit from last night.

• Like 4

Thursday 

lunch - scrambled eggs with onions, mushrooms and mixed greens;  1/2 flaxseed muffin, dark chocolate.

Dinner- beef veggie stir fry (very thinly sliced steak, broccoli, carrots, onions, cauliflower, Chinese pea pods, bell peppers, yellow summer squash, zucchini),brown rice 

Eggs before bedtime

• Like 5

Thursday

Breakfast--2 eggs with half an avocado. Tea.

Lunch--beans and rice with the other half of the avocado. Handful of gf sesame crackers with smidge of vegan dip.

Snack--I'm helping my daughter move, which means long days and super late dinner, plus I am not sleeping well. My snack was more like another meal. I had a gf/df granola bar earlier, then later quick fries and bunless burger from the freezer. 

Dinner--Using up freezer leftovers. Chicken with onion and potato tossed in tahini and lemon. Green beans from the freezer. Big salad.

• Like 5

I'm behind again. 

Yesterday--- I think--

smoothie bowl and banana gf vegan waffles;

stir fry w/ baby bok choy, basmati rice, tofu, and other veggies

snack: mandarins; gf/vegan oatmeal breakfast 'cookies'

dinner; gf- vegan pizza- this is the same crust recipe I always use but it was off- I don't know what I did too it but I was too exhausted to care at that point and ate it anyway

1.5 squares of dark choc dh got it for me for mother's day but it is not as dark as I've been eating and tasted too sweet

today:

bfast- large mixed green salad w/ mixed baby tomatoes, cucumbers, roasted chickpeas, sunflower seeds, and pepitas w/ homemade vinagriette + banana gf/vegan waffles no topping

lunch---?? probably whip together a stif fry of some sort w/ the baked tofu and the rest of the baby bok choy and whatever else

dinner- pasta (cauli/quinoa/brown rice) pan seared zucchini, tomatoes and ?? the family is having a cheesy parmesan pasta I'll do my own variation

• Like 5

Thurs... our 2-3 times a year stop at the special donut shop on the way to certain Dr. I had a donut and a green tea.

Skipped lunch, had early dinner of London broil, squash casserole, and bakery fresh sourdough. I didn't add the right amount of cheese to the casserole so it wasn't as rich as usual, but it was still good. 

• Like 5

Friday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens and Johnny jump ups.. Breakfast bowl with Dominican beans, 10 grain cereal, sour cherries, mandarin, blueberries, mango, raspberries, pomegranate, fig, banana, peach, goji berries, goldenberries, mulberries, lemon and orange zest, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens with leftover butternut and spinach ravioli with black bean hummus. Apple and pear slices.

Dinner - Homemade pizza with tomato sauce, spring onions, mushrooms, grilled peppers, artichoke hearts, and green olives.

• Like 2

I thought that I had posted Friday but I probably just did it on my tracking app.

Dinner- Smashed burger with no bun, and cheddar cheese and lots of lettuce.  Not quite a lettuce wrap because I couldn't pick it up, but close.  Fries.  I rarely are able to have gf fries and when I have the chance I usually can't resist. 

Got home.  Took a hypoglycemic med.  Also did weight lifting.  My sugars were high but in the "yellow" zone on my glucometer, not the red zone. 

Eggs before bedtime (around 9 o'clock)

Tested again around 11 pm and I was in the yellow zone the other way - almost hypoglycemic and actually was feeling woozy.  Had a cup of bone broth and 1 ounce of nuts to stop the free fall.  My sugars stabilized nicely and were great in the a.m.  And I didn't go into a hypoglycemic coma overnight (always a good thing.) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I keep missing posting but overall I'm happy with my eating - lots of veg, no nightshades, good protein.  Too much coffee but now we're open I can re-adjust everything.  Finally found the missing piece of my juicer!

• Like 3

Sunday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with pigeon peas, oats, rye, raspberries, blackberries, pomegranate, longans, goldenberries, kiwi, apple, fig, pluot, sour cherries, goji berries, mulberries, lemon and lime zest, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Big salad with mixed greens, cucumber, bell pepper, tomato, radishes, carrot, edamame, lentils, flax, spring onions. Dressing was avocado mashed with sauerkraut and a dash of sriracha.

Dinner - Tried Monkey & Me’s garlic mushroom pasta - it was super quick and easy and turned out good. I used Eden kamut spaghetti and liked it better than other kinds of pasta. Also had an artichoke and a mandarin.

• Like 4

Saturday   I could have sworn I put this on here but I don’t see it)

Dinner- vegan gf oizza, salad.  And my sugars went shooting up into the red zone  

Eggs before bedtime.

then my sugars plummeted down into low normal. Had a cup of bone broth to stabilize things. My sugars stayed nice and low overnight but my body isn’t used to the low normal levels. I am hoping to reacclimate to them and hopefully this will be my new normal. 

• Like 4

Sunday 

church snack- a snack bag of potato chips which didn’t raise my blood sugars 

Dinner- Filipino pork adobo, brown rice, vegetables (broccoli, carrots, onions, cauliflower, Chinese pea pods, bell peppers, yellow summer squash, zucchini)

Eggs before bedtime

don’t know where my sugars will end up tonight 

• Like 3

We were out of town for the weekend and ate weird stuff and off schedule while driving. Dinner was at an event... cranberry gorgonzola salad, filet mignon, mashed potato, broccolini, and raspberry cake. 

Today I was back on IF schedule. Lunch was a savory crepe wrap at a crepes-only shop... Greek style with hummus, feta, cukes, tomato, and grilled chicken. SOOO GOOD! Then the kids and I shared a sweet crepe filled with fruit and creme and drizzled with Nutella. I had a weird "dinner" of scrambled eggs with salsa verde and cheddar, a piece of peanut butter toast, and an orange. 

• Like 4

I haven't posted again for a while. Things have been so hectic, first helping our honorary kids with the loss of their baby and then the funeral, and then getting ready for the American Rocketry Challenge, that event, and the travel. It has been a whirlwind. But, we got back last night, and I am proud to say we ate healthy, good food on that trip.

I packed all kinds of salad makings and my broccoli/pepper/Greek yogurt pasta salad for our picnic lunch on the way out, fresh fruit, dried pineapple, GF pretzels an hummus as well.

Our evening meals were:

Petite steaks on the grill with roasted potatoes, peppers, and broccoli.

Baked meatless ziti with toasted mozzarella, large salads, and clementines.

Bean enchiladas, black bean topping, salsa, zesty fire roasted veggies

Barbecue chicken breasts, baked potatoes, salads, roasted green beans

Lunches were provided by the National Association of Rocketry, but not GF so I could not eat them. T and Mark ate them, mostly sub sandwiches but lots of vegetable toppings were provided or grilled chicken sandwiches with fresh fruit. I decided to keep it simple, and just packed hummus and veggies with pretzels (the carbs were desperately needed for energy because our days were long, and the labor intense), and granola bars. We drank a ton of water. Hydration was emphasized since they have had some folks end up with EMS attention from working so many hours in the sun and not realizing how long they have gone without drinking anything.

I cooked eggs and hashbrowns every morning, and we ate clementines with them. We needed protein and carbs to get going when the days began at 5:30 am, and we were going to be working our tails off.

I had good shoes. But there is good, and then there is "ARC Challenge" which means good was NOT good enough. So I will be getting some sort of much better quality walking shoes for next year. My feet hurt so bad even after being off them all day for the 750 mile drive home. I soaked them Saturday night after the event as well. Didn't make much of a dent in it. Not going to be a fun day today.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

By ignoring my doctor

When dd was first diagnosed with T1D we dutifully took her to the "nutritionist" who lectured us on the importance of feeding her lots of carbs and fake sugars as she sat at a desk with a diet orange soda on it.  We never fed her the way they told us to and never went back to that "nutritionist."  The person who explained the glycemic index, on the other hand, has our continuing  deep gratitude. 

This year she started with a CGM and her numbers are great but she never quite feels safe as it mostly keeps her in range.  Hard to get used to.  She does have "sporty mode" and "PMS mode" but it still feels scary.  On the other hand, not sticking her finger 7 times a day is an incredible gift.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Eos said:

When dd was first diagnosed with T1D we dutifully took her to the "nutritionist" who lectured us on the importance of feeding her lots of carbs and fake sugars as she sat at a desk with a diet orange soda on it.  We never fed her the way they told us to and never went back to that "nutritionist."  The person who explained the glycemic index, on the other hand, has our continuing  deep gratitude. 

This year she started with a CGM and her numbers are great but she never quite feels safe as it mostly keeps her in range.  Hard to get used to.  She does have "sporty mode" and "PMS mode" but it still feels scary.  On the other hand, not sticking her finger 7 times a day is an incredible gift.

My husband has a cgm and a insulin pump. I see some of his struggles with them and I am not so jealous.   Though it would be nice not to have to poke my fingers. 

I used to get hypoglycemic at a much higher number than I do now. Now I feel hypoglycemic at very close to actual hypoglycemic levels. As you know, what’s scariest about hypoglycemia is that your thinking is compromised. 

• Like 2

Monday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with Rio Zape beans, oats, spelt, barley, Cara Cara orange, kiwi, apple, pear, mango, fig, apricot & apricot kernels, elderberries, chokeberries, barberries, goji berries, goldenberries, mulberries, blackberries, raspberries, pomegranate, orange and lime zest, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Last piece of leftover homemade pizza and a walnut chocolate chip WellBean bar.

Dinner - Tofu scrambles (Shane & Simple’s recipe with lots of veggies added - spring onions, bell peppers, mixed mushrooms, kale), WFPB breakfast sausage patties from Nutcase Vegan (highly recommend - so good), steamed veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots), and a whole grain English muffin.

• Like 3

Monday 

church snack- a snack bag of potato chips which didn’t raise my blood sugars 

Dinner- ground beef, green and purple cabbage, carrots, onions, garlic, tomato paste; brown rice 

Eggs before bedtime

• Like 4

Long fast day. Dinner was the buffalo chicken mac and cheese the kids had been requesting, and I had a small sundae on the way to physical therapy. I am still hungry but spent some time shopping and with a friend and missed mu cutoff and now it's 10pm so no more eating. 

• Like 4

Two bites of oatmeal, an egg, and avocado toast

Black beans, corn tortillas, sour cream and a big salad with local baby greens, cuke, zuke, brown rice, sugar snap peas, green beans, radish, avocado, walnuts, carrots, cabbage and lemon dressing

Snacked yesterday: some tortilla chips and pistachios

• Like 4

Tuesday - 

Breakfast - A walnut chocolate chip WellBean bar. Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with beluga lentils, oats, kamut, barley, kiwi, banana, mandarin, blueberries, blackberries, pomegranate, pluot, fig, sour cherries, papaya, apple, pear, mango, passion fruit, dragon fruit, lemon and lime zest, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - The remnants of my breakfast bowl (had a hectic morning, so didn’t have time to finish it). Also a few pieces of baked tofu dipped in Dijon mustard. 

Dinner - Leftover tofu scrambles from last night, but in taco form - with guacamole, scallions, tomatoes, shredded red cabbage, cilantro, salsa.

• Like 2

Today went better:

A little oatmeal in the morning with butter and Mark had fruit, I did not.

Lunch: Gluten free homemade mac n cheese, roasted Brussels sprouts, salad

Dinner: shared a chicken breast done on the grill, roasted mushrooms and peppers, baked potatoes with butter, Greek yogurt, chives, and roasted broccoli on top.

• Like 2

Finally back home, just for a couple days until one more short trip for one last graduation and helping a niece move. I was gone for a week helping dd with her move. I'm exhausted. 

Breakfast--2 bananas before class and some tea (NS). Later whipped up some organic ham and eggs.

Lunch--Just dribs and drabs. A small handful of chips. Some dark chocolate. An apple. I feel like there was one more thing and am struggling to remember. 

Dinner--Huge salad with some sauteed chicken. Tea (S).

• Like 3

Yesterday I was ravenous. I had gone to bed hungry the night before, and had a small eating window during which I ate everything not nailed down. A good bit of protein and veggies, but also 4 types of carbs. LoL

Today I have a normal 7ish hour window. I had some great organic hummus with a few Ritz crackers, some cheddar cheese, 1/3 cup whole milk Greek yogurt with strawberries and blueberries. I am not terribly hungry yet. I may grab food after PT. Family is eating spaghetti for dinner. 

• Like 3

Wednesday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with snowcap beans, oats, spelt, barley, apple, pear, mandarin, mango, passion fruit, dragon fruit, banana, fig, apricot & apricot kernels, elderberries, chokeberries, barberries, goji berries, goldenberries, mulberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, pomegranate, lemon and lime zest, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Big salad with mixed greens, red cabbage, carrot, broccoli, cauliflower, radishes, tomato, tofu, mushrooms, almonds, mashed avocado with lime juice. A walnut chocolate chip WellBean bar.

Dinner - Stir fry with brown rice, tofu, veggies (broccoli, pea pods, onion, bell pepper, edamame, shiitake mushrooms, red cabbage, spinach, water chestnuts) and teriyaki balsamic vinegar.

• Like 2

Wednesday

Breakfast - yes we are still murdering java beans like Gheghis Khan marching across Asia. In addition, toast with peanut butter.

Lunch - Tuna melt on a gf whole grain wrap, toasted in the oven. Huge salad with lots of veggies.

Dinner - green beans, baked potatoes, celery and blue cheese dip, one air fried chicken wing a piece which we dipped in buffalo sauce.

• Like 4

Wednesday 

Breakfast—banana before class, tea, later low-sugar granola with cashew milk

Lunch—Pulled 2 small df/gf bean burritos out of the freezer. Followed up with a clementine.

Snack—Raided the freezer again. Grabbed some gf/df chicken nuggets.Later dh made some popcorn, and I had cherries with it.

Dinner—A single bunless burger with some slow-cooked onion. Potatoes. Salad with vinaigrette.

• Like 3

Tuesday 

Dinner- my experiments with gf pizzas continue - tonight was a pizza with an almond crust.  In addition to the sauce, cheese and roasted red peppers that came on it, I added mushrooms and mixed greens.  I had a couple of pieces of dark chocolate as dessert.  This was the best pizza so far for blood sugar control.  In fact, it stayed within acceptable ranges.  (Though I had also hiked earlier and lifted weights but I usually do those on Wednesdays before pizza anyway.)

Eggs before bedtime

• Like 3

Just wanted to post here today to recommend a couple on YouTube for those that are WFPB. He doesn’t just promote that way of eating. He gives lots of recipes and good ideas about how to make it all easier. He has “meal rotator” plans and recipe card systems and such. I just thought someone might like that. 

His channel is called Well Your World if you are interested. 

Today I am having oatmeal with banana for breakfast, then an Aloha protein shake with strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, and nuts for lunch. Dinner will be quinoa, kale, and white kidney beans with more fruit on the side. 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Indigo Blue said:

Just wanted to post here today to recommend a couple on YouTube for those that are WFPB. He doesn’t just promote that way of eating. He gives lots of recipes and good ideas about how to make it all easier. He has “meal rotator” plans and recipe card systems and such. I just thought someone might like that. 

His channel is called Well Your World if you are interested. 

Today I am having oatmeal with banana for breakfast, then an Aloha protein shake with strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, and nuts for lunch. Dinner will be quinoa, kale, and white kidney beans with more fruit on the side. 

Thanks for sharing that! I will definitely check out their YouTube. They are frequent guests on Chef AJ Live, and I’ve tried a few of their sauces and seasoning blends. 

• Like 3

Thursday - 

Breakfast - A sunflower fig bar while running early morning errands. Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens and Johnny jump ups. Breakfast bowl with beluga lentils, 10 grain cereal, Galia melon, apple, pear, kiwi, fig, mango, banana, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, pomegranate, lemon and orange zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - I took some leftover brown rice, tofu, and stir fry veggies and mixed it up with my usual big bucket of greens to make a salad. Also had a couple lychees.

Dinner - A steamed artichoke and pizza with artichoke hearts, bell pepper, onions, and garlic.

Dessert - Butter pecan banana nice cream.

• Like 3

Thursday

Breakfast—2 bananas before class, then a savory gf bun with EB butter after, tea (S)

Lunch—eggs and potatoes and a handful of cherries

Snack—gf whole-grain muffin, dark chocolate 

Dinner—fabulous fish tacos. Dh grilled up some spice-rubbed mahi mahi which we enjoyed with spicy cole slaw and white beans on corn tortillas. Also blueberries.

• Like 3

Thursday - very long day. 

Traveled 2 1/2 hours - had lunch

lunch - Starbucks protein box minus the crackers because they aren't gluten free.  (So cheese, grapes, apples).  And a bag of Starbucks salt and vinegar chips.  Oh and some mint tea with no sweetener.

Traveled another hour to my meeting.

Had a few strawberries and six gf crackers and a few pieces of cheese during the 2 1/2 hour meeting.

Traveled an hour to where I stopped for dinner.  This is a gf restaurant right in the middle of farm country.  I always try to stop if the timing is right! 

Dinner- Ate half of the serving of gf fish and chips and then asked the waitress for a box to put it in.  Then I asked her for the very best chocolate mousse ever.

I sort of expected my sugars to go sky high afterwards but amazing they stayed low!  Traveled 2 1/2 hours to home. 

Still walked and made my step goal. 

Eggs before bedtime

My caloric intake was higher than it's been on a daily basis but was still within my recommended range.  I count it a plus all around. 

• Like 3

I am working and not posting but generally eating well.  Yesterday dd noticed a huge flush of oyster mushrooms on a dead poplar tree in our yard, yay!  It's the first time we've been able to forage mushrooms from right in the yard.  We ate a delicious filling meal of mushroom gravy on rice and broccoli, so so good.

I've been having mostly salads for dinner even while cooking other things for my family so that feels good.  A friend brought the most tender little kale shoots from her garden the other day and we had a picnic outside near the lilacs which was heavenly.

Edited by Eos
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Eos said:

I am working and not posting but generally eating well.  Yesterday dd noticed a huge flush of oyster mushrooms on a dead poplar tree in our yard, yay!  It's the first time we've been able to forage mushrooms from right in the yard.  We ate a delicious filling meal of mushroom gravy on rice and broccoli, so so good.

I've been having mostly salads for dinner even while cooking other things for my family so that feels good.  A friend brought the most tender little kale shoots from her garden the other day and we had a picnic outside near the lilacs which was heavenly.

I love it when we find a mushroom we can forage. This year due to the summer like heat for one week, followed by drenching downpours and ridiculous cool weather, followed by FOUR spring frosts so far, we have nor found a single morel mushroom and I am very sad about it!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Thursday

Death march of coffee beans

Boiled egg (didn't have time for much because I hit the ground running elderly mums to their doctor appointments)

Lunch - I took a tuna melt on GF wrap and a big salad with me. Very yummy. They ate McDonald's by choice. That's fine. They are old and time is running out. Eat what they want works. But I was very, very glad to have yummy food I could eat in the car while I waited for them.

Dinner - I made yummy vegetable pot pies. I scored two minor dutch ovens at Aldi and was anxious to use them. I did use low sodium beef broth for flavor (Mark has a harder time enjoying meatless meals than I do). I parboiled carrots, potatoes, fresh snow peas, and celery. I caramelized finely diced onion, celery leaves, fresh parsley, red pepper, garlic, and at the last, added shredded basil leaves. Well, not shredded actually. I cut them with a chifinade cut (not sure of the spelling there) so they looked like tiny ribbons which made them shrink down into the pan and distribute really well. I had made GF pie crust and pre baked the the dough, shaped in the dutch ovens just until it started to catch color, then filled with the veggies, and place the top dough on, sealed around, punch some steam holes with a fork, and let bake until very golden and top.

It was so good. Mark loved them so I am sure that will be on the menu in the future. I just wish I had the patience to make actual GF phyllo dough. Gf pie dough isn't flaky and light. It tasted great, but isn't the same type of dough. I would love a thin, flaky, layered crust for these. I also do not have the patience. I do not enjoy baking and cooking, not at all. So the idea of having to roll, and do the cold butter thing, fold, refrigerate, roll, butter, chill, roll butter, chill over and over again taking four hours to make dough is NOT happening here. I wonder if Whole Foods carries a GF phyllo dough?

I need more coffee just thinking about making phyllo dough.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Friday

Dinner- leftover pizza with an almond crust.  In addition to the sauce, cheese and roasted red peppers that came on it, I added mushrooms and mixed greens.  More salad on the side. I had a couple of pieces of dark chocolate as dessert.  

Eggs before bedtime

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

I love it when we find a mushroom we can forage. This year due to the summer like heat for one week, followed by drenching downpours and ridiculous cool weather, followed by FOUR spring frosts so far, we have nor found a single morel mushroom and I am very sad about it!

I’ve hunted morels every spring since I was a wee child, but recently decided to give it up because the ticks have gotten so awful here. It is very discouraging that any foray into the woods leaves us covered in creepy crawly bloodsuckers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1