Menu

May Healthy Eating

Selkie

Friday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens and Johnny jump ups. Breakfast bowl with Domingo rojo beans, oats, spelt, barley, lychees, longans, banana, kiwi, passion fruit, dragon fruit, fig, pluot, Galia melon, pineapple, pomegranate, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, mango, goji berries, goldenberries, mulberries, lemon and lime zest, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Big salad with mixed greens, tofu, carrot, tomato, cucumber, bell pepper, tiger nuts, sesame seeds, nigella, sesame peanut dressing. Apple and pear slices.

Dinner - At our Neuro Academy cooking session this afternoon, we made cabbage and black eyed pea soup that was phenomenal. Ingredients are a head of cabbage, kale, black eyed peas, onion, garlic, celery, carrots, potato, crushed tomatoes, veggie broth, fennel, smoked paprika, red pepper flakes…probably other things I’m forgetting since I don’t have the recipe in front of me. Also had a steamed artichoke.

• Like 4

Friday:

Breakfast - Slaughter the king's beans plus a breakfast wrap - gf wrap with scrambled eggs, parmesan, potatoes, red peppers, and spinach which was sauteed together.

Lunch - hummus and lots of veggie sticks, a few GF pretzels

Dinner - tacos, refried beans, black beans, fajita veggies, very small amount of seasoned ground beef, lots of sauce and salsa, some Greek yogurt to top it off.

• Like 4

Saturday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with Blue Goose field peas, 10 grain cereal, kiwi, mango, apple, pear, passion fruit, dragon fruit, blueberries, blackberries, pomegranate, sour cherries, fig, elderberries, chokeberries, barberries, goldenberries, goji berries, mulberries, lemon and orange zest, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Big salad with mixed greens and microgreens, carrot, bell pepper, acorn squash, edamame, nigella, sesame peanut dressing. A mandarin.

Dinner - Homemade oil-free tortilla chips with guacamole and salsa and a small bowl of cabbage black eyed pea soup.

• Like 4

FRIDAY

Breakfast--Grabbed an apple on my way out to the gym.

Lunch--Gf chicken nuggets I grabbed from the freezer, also an apple. 

Snack--Succumbed to the lure of French fries as I was dashing between two appointments. Shucks. I really do need to embrace bringing snacks with me when I go out. 

Dinner--Blueberries, popcorn, some egg salad with whole grain gf crackers. 

SATURDAY

Breakfast--oatmeal with plain dried cranberries and nuts, also a splash of maple syrup and cashew milk, plus a hefty sprinkle of cinnamon. It's all the additions that make morning oatmeal feel so luxurious--the cranberries were the star of the show this morning. They are UNsugared, so the bitter tang coupled with the maple syrup was heavenly. Also a cup of decaf coffee with cashew milk.

Lunch--quick stirfry of purple rice and tons of veggies and some beef strips with gf Korean bbq sauce

Snack--Some strange gf cocoa crackers (sorta like cookies, sorta like crackers) and later some dark chocolate. 

Dinner--egg salad with gf crackers, 2 clementines

• Like 4

Saturday

Many java beans cried out to the universe for salvation and were without aid.

No other breakfast. We slept in, and it was glorious.

Lunch - leftover refried and black beans with salsa and Greek yogurt, shredded lettuce, and red peppers with a few tortilla chips.

Dinner - Mark made his famous, fabulous, delectable veggie pizzas.

A little bit of dark chocolate afterward.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Sunday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with black ayocote beans, oats, barley, mandarin, kiwi, passion fruit, dragon fruit, apple, pear, fig, mango, banana, lemon and orange zest, goji berries, mulberries, goldenberries, blueberries, blackberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Big salad with kale, mixed microgreens, beets, radishes, edamame, tomato, almonds. Lychees, longans, and a walnut chocolate chip WellBean bar.

Dinner - A steamed artichoke and Thai chopped salad (loosely based on Toni Okamoto’s recipe) - mixed greens, red cabbage, Brussels sprouts, tofu, soba noodles, jalapenos, scallions, carrots, peanuts, ginger garlic peanut dressing.

• Like 3

Sunday 

breakfast- keto cinnamon blueberry granola with coconut yogurt 

Sunday morning snack- a bsg of Cheetos 

didn’t get home until 2 pm and I was a bit shaky  

lunch - scrambled eggs with onions, mushrooms and mixed greens;  1/2 flaxseed muffin, dark chocolate.

Dinner- oven fried chicken; the yummiest mango cucumber salad  

Eggs before bedtime

• Like 4

Monday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with French lentils, 10 grain cereal, banana, mandarin, apple, pear, kiwi, passion fruit, dragon fruit, lychees, longans, blueberries, raspberries, goldenberries, elderberries, chokeberries, barberries, mulberries, goji berries, mango, nectarine, apricot & apricot kernels, lemon and orange zest, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Super delicious sandwich with Ezekiel toast, cashew mayo, mustard, sriracha, Everything Bagel seasoning, red onion, baked tofu, pickles, arugula, and dill microgreens. Baked sweet potato wedges.

Dinner - More Thai chopped salad from last night.

• Like 4

Sunday went well. Just us, we didn't go anywhere and after obliterating coffee beans, we ate some granola. Lunch was salads. Supper was a chicken thigh each on the grill, and sheet pan of a variety of roasted vegetables.

Today, Monday, not is great. We woke up late, had a bunch of things to do with our boat which had been winterized. We ended up not eating anything, and then going to his mom's for lunch. Oh.boy. she did not cook anything we should be eating! It was four kinds of chips, hot dogs, brats, baked beans so laden with every kind of sugar additive she could think of that I had a hard time gagging down the one and only spoonful I ate. I and half a brat on a piece of GF bread, and two chunks of watermelon which was the healthiest thing on the table. I hate watermelon too, so not happy.

Tonight I made some black bean dip and ate it with salsa and red pepper sticks.

Tomorrow is going to be awful. I have medical appointments for my mom and wedding shopping. Ugh. I think I will insist on Panera Bread and get the Mediterranean bowl. Quinoa and arugula base, hummus, Greek yogurt. At least I won't have such a brick in my stomach while I run around.

• Like 4

Tuesday - 

Breakfast - Mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with Mayocoba beans, oats, rye, barley, kiwi, passion fruit, dragon fruit, apple, orange, banana, goldenberries, goji berries, mulberries, sour cherries, fig, pomegranate, blueberries, blackberries, lemon and orange zest, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - By popular demand, I made the same tofu sandwiches we had yesterday. Plus roasted root veggies (beets, daikon, sweet potato) and lychees and longans.

Dinner - Steamed corn on the cob and an artichoke. An Actual Veggies purple (beet, carrot, and red onion) burger. I also made Monkey and Me's Amish macaroni salad and tweaked it a little bit - I used dates instead of maple syrup, and whatever veggies I had on hand that needed using up (carrots, radishes, edamame, scallions). So much good food!

• Like 3

Made a new kind of "throw whatever I can find in the blender" nice cream tonight. Frozen peaches, pineapple, mango, strawberries + a small handful of macadamias + a splash of soy milk + 2 tsp vanilla powder. Topped with unsweetened coconut and cacao nibs.🍨

• Like 3

Tuesday 

lunch - scrambled eggs with onions, mushrooms and mixed greens;  1/2 flaxseed muffin, dark chocolate.

Dinner- grilled carne asada, grilled scallions, grilled bell peppers, grilled corn on the cob (see a theme?);  dark chocolate  

Eggs before bedtime

• Like 3

The last two days I've had coffee and an egg with spinach and mushrooms for breakfast, lunch yesterday was leftover rice, pork, and veggies, dinner was a feast for some friends: we had halibut with thyme-caper butter, grilled asparagus and brussels, grilled polenta, and a huge salad with lots of fruit and pistachios.  Dessert was a gf-crusted tart of strawberry-rhubarb compote and whipped cream.

• Like 3

Have been out of town for a few days yet again and am so grateful to be home and not have to go anywhere for a while. I'm so sick of traveling. We had a wonderful two-week vacation at the end of April, and then the month of May was carved up with graduations and with helping dd move into her first house. It's rough when the whole family all live in other states.

SUNDAY--Driving day. Low-sugar granola with cashew milk and a sliced banana for breakfast. Lunch was a fiasco. I was on the road in a hurry and should have ordered a salad. 'Nuff said about that. Snacked on nuts and on plain popcorn while driving. Dinner was much better--pulled pork and mixed fruit salad. My sil had saved a gf/df cookie for me, which I enjoyed. 

MONDAY--Slammed down some more mixed fruit before teaching class. Taco lunch with a friend with an appetizer of charred brussels. Gorgeous, amazing food and healthy, plus the restaurant was open air. The late afternoon and evening were complicated as I spent time with different people in different places. Snacked my way through on random offerings--fruit salad, french fries, tea (S), apple, eventually rounded it out with some pulled pork leftover from the grad party. We'll call it a mostly healthy day other than the fries. 

TUESDAY--So tired I was shaky and teary. I had stayed up helping someone with a paper and then had to get up early to teach class. Have been short on sleep ever since helping dd move earlier in the month. That was such a tough ride home yesterday--had to keep snacking and stopping to take walks, plus I was jittery from caffeine. Far from ideal. I grabbed some dry granola before class, then followed up with 2 eggs easy-over after class. Enjoyed yet more pulled pork and fruit with my niece and nephew for lunch. On the road I had coffee with oatmilk, some dark chocolate, nuts and dried fruit. Lunch was a grilled chicken on gf bun. Had a big salad with chicken later for dinner. Had a small teacup of sleepy tea (including valerian) to counteract all the caffeine. On the whole one of my better driving days for food.

Now it's recovery time. Today I'm literally craving fruits and veggies, so that's what I'm going with. I got a deep night's sleep and a nap and am still foggy, probably both the valerian lingering in my system and the sheer brutal impact of low sleep. I'm so glad to be home. 

• Like 3

End of the month thoughts:

Eating what I think I should be eating has gone great; not eating what I think I shouldn't be eating, not quite as great, but still decently.

June goal: 15 different plants every single day. (I also have step and water goals.) In May I had six  days below 15.

• Like 4

Wednesday 

Dinner- two pieces of almond crust pizza with red peppers which I supplemented with more roasted peppers and onions and mushrooms; dark chocolate 

Eggs before bedtime

• Like 2

Wednesday - farewell May!

Breakfast - Mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with Dominican red beans, 10 grain cereal, apple, passion fruit, kiwi, mango, pineapple, dragon fruit, goldenberries, chokeberries, barberries, elderberries, goji berries, mulberries, blueberries, raspberries, fig, pluot, longans, lychees, lemon and lime zest, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - A bowl of leftover macaroni salad, half a banana, and a mandarin.

Dinner - Half an Actual Veggies burger and steamed veggies (an artichoke, an ear of corn, broccoli, and asparagus). A walnut chocolate chip WellBean bar.

• Like 2

Wednesday 

Breakfast—Slammed down a clementine before class. Drank ginger tea (NS) during class. Had a small bowl of low-sugar granola with milkadamia after. Followed up with decaf coffee with milkadamia, dark of maple syrup, and cinnamon.

Lunch—Weird but flavorful mishmash of rice, onions, peppers, and Italian sausage. Also fruit salad.

Snack—dark chocolate, later also white tea (NS)

Dinner—Ravenous. Slow-cooked bbq beef with gf sauce, green salad, corn. Later polished off the rest of the mixed fruit.

• Like 2