Menu

May Healthy Eating

Selkie

Sunday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with Blue Goose field peas, oats, spelt, kiwi, longans, goldenberries, mango, passion fruit, dragon fruit, blueberries, blackberries, pomegranate, nectarine, apricot kernels, goji berries, mulberries, sour cherries, lemon and lime zest, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Big salad with mixed greens, cabbage, spring onions, garlic, buckwheat, edamame, snow peas, broccoli, bell pepper, spicy peanut dressing. Strawberries and apple slices.

Dinner - A steamed artichoke and a bowl of soup served over barley. I made the soup in the crockpot - ingredients were onion, garlic, carrots, lentils, split peas, mixed mushrooms, corn, green peas, broccoli, cauliflower, collard greens, veggie broth, lots of spices.

Edited by Selkie
  • Like 3

Sunday

breakfast- keto cinnamon blueberry granola with coconut yogurt 

lunch- sweet onion cheddar burger as a lettuce wrap, side of sautéed mushrooms  

Dinner - scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and mixed greens and black beans and chicken ; 1/2 flaxseed muffin, 2 squares of chocolate 

Two eggs before bedtime 

• Like 3

b: chocolate 'pb & j" bowl- plain unsweet soy milk; frozen cherries; banana; flax; nat pb; cocoa powder; 1/2 serving vegan protein powder; topped w/ fresh raspberries and homemade muesli

l: vegan red lentil curry (rainbow plant life); w/ sweet potato, cauliflower, and green beans served over basmati rice

d: zucchini pesto pasta Dd is making parmesan noodles for the family but I'm staying dairy free. I was planning on making something with zucchini and also have chickpeas cooked so this works perfectly. 

snacks--- who knows ? 

might try toast w/ edamame / avocado spread 

• Like 4

Monday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens (tried lemongrass microgreens for the first time!). Breakfast bowl with Mayocoba beans, oats, spelt, apricot, fig, longans, goldenberries, apple, blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, pomegranate, kiwi, passion fruit, dragon fruit, elderberries, chokeberries, barberries, lemon and orange zest, goji berries, mulberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - A big bowl of mixed lettuces, a piece of leftover homemade veggie pizza, and a blood orange.

Dinner - Repeat of last night - steamed artichoke and a bowl of lentil/split pea/veggie soup served over barley.

• Like 4

Sunday

lunch - scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and mixed greens and black beans and chicken ; 1/2 flaxseed muffin, 2 squares of chocolate 

Dinner- salmon burger, veggies (onions, carrots, broccoli, sugar snap peas, celery, mushrooms, bell peppers, cabbage)

Two eggs before bedtime 

• Like 4

Monday

Breakfast—low-sugar granola with cashew milk

Lunch—Smidge of leftover rice stirfry plus eggs and a little bacon

Snack—dark chocolate, almonds, coffee (black)

Dinner—super small steak with large potato (EB butter, salt, pepper, chives), salad, onions/mushrooms 

• Like 4

Tuesday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with snowcap beans, oats, kamut, blueberries, blackberries, nectarine, fig, kiwi, guava, longans, goldenberries, dragon fruit, passion fruit, mango, lemon and orange zest, goji berries, mulberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Whole grain pita with edamame, cucumber, tomato, broccoli microgreens, garlic, cashew mayo, mustard, sriracha, sesame seeds, nigella. An apple.

Dinner - I made Monkey & Me’s new recipe for smothered burritos and it is amazing - brown rice, pinto and black beans, green chiles, homemade enchilada sauce…so tasty. Topped them off with guacamole, cashew sour cream, diced red onion, shredded red cabbage, cilantro, and salsa.

• Like 4

Tuesday 

lunch - scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and mixed greens and black beans and chicken ; 1/2 flaxseed muffin, 2 squares of chocolate 

Dinner- shrimp skewers , veggies (onions, carrots, broccoli, sugar snap peas, celery, mushrooms, bell peppers, cabbage), brown rice, edamame; dark chocolate 

Two eggs before bedtime 

• Like 4

It’s been busy- not great choices, and I can’t really remember all of it. 
Sunday- late breakfast/ lunch was triple berry bowl with seeds and nuts, side of bacon

dinner- arancini, filet, Caesar salad, roasted vegetables, gratin potatoes, birthday cake, chocolate truffle

Monday- breakfast - chick fil a egg white grill

lunch- half hot dog with sauce and a bag of chips 

Dinner- big salad with pizza

tuesday- skipped breakfast, lunch was a chipotle salad with some chips and queso. 1/2 Steve’s no junk bar before pickleball. Skipped dinner. 

• Like 5

Tuesday

Breakfast—peanuts, an apple

Lunch—Grabbed some frozen gf potstickers from the freezer. Tea (S). 

Snack—dark chocolate, also a couple gf/df cookies leftover from ds’ graduation.

Dinner—Didn’t feel like cooking and dh ate with co-workers, so just some popcorn and watermelon. Later had some raspberries. Tea (S).

• Like 4

Out of pocket almost all day yesterday and didn't have power in the morning (or the night before) so breakfast was modified and lunch was out.

tuesday:

breakfast- homeamde gf muesli; banana; mango; raspberry; soy milk

lunch: panerra med bowl w/out greek yogurt or feta 

snack: larabar; partial gf vegan cookie -- -should have bought myself some nice chocolate instead it was way too sweet

dinner: tostado w/ homemade pinto beans and jicama salad (simply recipes)

Wednesday- another busy day but I already have breakfast done and lunch made and should be home to help dd2 with dinner:

tropical smoothie bowl; strawberry; banana; mango; pineapple coconut; almond milk; flax seeds topped w/ raspberries and blueberries and homemade muesli

lunch: leftover lentil curry and rice

dinner: vegan richa thai noodle stir fry and tofu

snacks: homemade larabar; mixed green salad at some point

• Like 4

Breakfast:
- Oatmeal with fresh fruit and nuts.
Lunch:
- Grilled chicken salad.
Dinner:
- Baked salmon with roasted vegetables.

I try to keep a healthy and balanced diet as I have a vitamin deficiency, I also started taking vitamin B12 (you can find it at a Canadian pharmacy). Apathy is disappeared and I am very happy to have a lot of energy again.

Edited by Froste
  • Like 4

Wednesday 

Breakfast—low-sugar granola, nut milk, bananas

Snack—curry nuts and puffed rice (nifty Indian snack a friend gave me), apple, some organic ham. Later, dark chocolate.

Lunch—tofu stir fry with purple rice and tons of veg

Dinner—bean tacos (beans, homemade guac, df “cheese” on corn tortillas), corn on the cob with EB “butter” and salt, strawberries 

• Like 4

I have not been eating the healthiest for sure. 
Tuesday- breakfast - cashews

lunch- chipotle salad with all the veggies and chips and queso 

dinner- 1/2 papa Steve’s bar 

Wednesday- breakfast- peanuts

lunch- chicken, peppers, onions, hummus, salad, small slice of cake

dinner- 1/2 papa Steve’s bar 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

Wednesday 

Breakfast—low-sugar granola, nut milk, bananas

Snack—curry nuts and puffed rice (nifty Indian snack a friend gave me), apple, some organic ham. Later, dark chocolate.

Lunch—tofu stir fry with purple rice and tons of veg

Dinner—bean tacos (beans, homemade guac, df “cheese” on corn tortillas), corn on the cob with EB “butter” and salt, strawberries 

purple rice? I've not seen that.

-------------------------------

My schedule went a bit sideways and plans got tweaked. In addition to my planned food, I had a tostada w/ IP pinto beans and jicama salad (good thing as I didn't get lunch until 3). I also had the last 1/3 of my gf/vegan cookie. I had grapes after my dinner.

I started my period today. Cravings weren't too bad at all. My only big indulgence was the the gf/vegan cookie. They don't sell them locally and I won't buy one again as it was too sweet. I always have issues with sleep before my period but it was considerably better this time. I usually am up through the night for hours. This week I woke up at 4:15-4:45 the last 5 or so days but mostly got enough sleep as I usually get to bed early. And waking up early is way better than awake for hours in the middle of the night. (I usually wake around 5 something so it isn't crazy early). Is it peri-hormonal fluctuation or related to diet? I've been aiming for vegan/wfpb since May 1st (although I did notice my gf bread had eggs after the fact). I'm going to aim to stick with it and see if it is also better next month.

b: smoothie bowl; mango, banana, bluberries, strawberries, kale; vegan protein powder (1/2 serving); cocoa; homemade muesli

mixed greens - just had these plain trying to up my veggie intake

l: lentil curry w/ some veggies and rice 

d: leftover night- I'm having my leftover zucchini pesto pasta (zucchini, basil, pistachios, tomatoes, chickpeas, cauli-quinoa- brown rice pasta; 

snacks: homemade larabar; ???

Edited by Soror
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, Soror said:

purple rice? I've not seen that.

-------------------------------

I really love purple rice. I discovered it at a local chain (Bippibop) and then started purchasing it from our local Asian grocery store. It's got a wonderful flavor--heftier than white rice but not with the "bran" kinda taste that brown rice has.

• Like 4

Wednesday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with beluga lentils, oats, rye, banana, goldenberries, longans, kiwi, guava, dragon fruit, passion fruit, elderberries, chokeberries, barberries, goji berries, mulberries, blueberries, fig, apricot kernels, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Whole grain pita with eggplant, cucumber, tomato, broccoli sprouts, edamame, cashew mayo, mustard, sriracha. An apple.

Dinner - More of the smothered bean and rice burritos that I made on Tuesday.

Dessert - Sorbet? Sherbet? Not sure of the right word, but I put mixed frozen berries (blueberries, blackberries, strawberries) in the Vitamix with a small handful of macadamia nuts, a splash of soy milk, and a couple teaspoons of vanilla powder. Yum!

• Like 4

Wednesday

Dinner- A vegan, gf pizza with Impossible meat.  

So I've been part of a diabetic study which looks at the effects of exercise on blood sugars.  After the pizza which was caulilflower crust, my sugars still went up sky high.  I did 15 minutes of weight lifting and my sugars came down 93 points!  (in a half hour)

Two eggs before bedtime 

• Like 3

Thursday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens and Johnny jump ups. Breakfast bowl with pigeon peas, oats, spelt, blueberries, blackberries, pomegranate, nectarine, fig, kiwi, guava, passion fruit, dragon fruit, goldenberries, longans, apple, lemon and orange zest, goji berries, mulberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed lettuces. Hummus with veggies (carrot, cucumber, eggplant, daikon radish, edamame, bell pepper). Strawberries and pineapple.

Dinner - We had some rice and beans and enchilada sauce left over from the burritos, so I mixed that with roasted veggies and served it with almond flour tortillas, guacamole, cashew sour cream, diced spring onions and jalapenos, shredded red cabbage, salsa, and cilantro. Also had a steamed artichoke.

• Like 4

Thursday

Dinner- Shepherds pie (mashed potatoes, corn, ground meat) , salad (mixed greens, onions, bell peppers, mushrooms, sunflower seeds , dressing)  dark chocolate 

Two eggs before bedtime 

• Like 4

Thursday

Breakfast--leftover stirfry (purple rice, veg, tofu)

Lunch--black bean dip (beans mashed with some salsa), corn tortillas, an orange

Snack--various odds and ends because I thought dh wasn't going to be home for dinner due to a work event--handful of chips with salsa, a square of dark chocolate, some grapes. 

Dinner--tuna salad with black sesame crackers

• Like 4

Thursday

breakfast- triple berry mix with hemp, chia and flaxseed, walnuts, bacon 

lunch- grilled chicken and 1/2 order of French fries 

Dinner-pistachios and provolone cheese 

I’m super hungry- exercised for like 5 hours today but can’t find anything I really want to eat and I desperately need to get to the grocery store. 

• Like 5

Friday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens and Johnny jump ups. Breakfast bowl with soybeans, 10 grain cereal, guava, banana, pineapple, longans, goldenberries, passion fruit, dragon fruit, pomegranate, pluot, fig, apricot kernels, lime and orange zest, goji berries, mulberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Big salad with mesclun, sorrel microgreens, carrot, tomato, cucumber, zucchini, eggplant, bell pepper, mushrooms, radishes, sauerkraut, tiger nuts, nigella, basil balsamic hummus for dressing. Blackberries and raspberries.

Dinner - A steamed artichoke and a veggie burger (from Tracy’s Real Foods) with pickles, spring onions, shredded red cabbage, cashew mayo, mustard. Steamed veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, summer squash, carrots) and sweet potato oven fries seasoned with nutritional yeast and herbs.

Dessert - Sunny pumpkin oat muffins (also from Tracy’s Real Foods).

• Like 4

Friday

Breakfast--banana, eggs with organic ham and onions

Lunch--2 tacos, banana

Dinner--gf pasta with Italian meat sauce

Snack--dark chocolate and a few almonds. Later had a frozen, gf, df burrito--we're babysitting three kids overnight, and we are plumb tuckered out. Literally worked up an appetite just from the chaos, LOL. 

• Like 4

Friday 

Dinner- carnitas Michoacan, sautéed onions and bell peppers; Spanish rice, corn tortillas 

Two eggs before bedtime 

• Like 4

OK I am back from my mother's and need to focus.  I ate way too much gluten on my trip but otherwise pretty healthy.  Dh can keep himself and dd fed while I'm gone but doesn't shop so there was not much in the house yesterday.  I need to restart taking B12, my memory is shot.

Yesterday at home: 

brussel sprouts 

a snack that might have been walnuts

burritos for dh, dd, and bonus kid, pan-roasted chicken for me

a beer with two friends and dd, celebrating!

• Like 4

Thursday

breakfast- triple berry mix with hemp, chia and flaxseed, walnuts, bacon 

lunch- grilled chicken and 1/2 order of French fries 

Dinner-pistachios and provolone cheese 

I’m super hungry- exercised for like 5 hours today but can’t find anything I really want to eat and I desperately need to get to the grocery store. 

Friday- 

sausage, peppers, onions, cannellini beans, egg

taco salad with beef, lettuce, black beans, salsa

romaine salad with almonds, a little bit of grouper- trying to eat fish but I don’t really like it, chicken 

• Like 5

Saturday

Dinner- carnitas Michoacan, sautéed onions and bell peppers; Spanish rice, ranch beans 

Flaxseed muffin because I was out of eggs 

• Like 4

Hello again. I was visiting my parents for a week and didn't keep track of things there. Back home now; there's no place like home!

Yesterday I had 2 eggs scrambled with cheddar, salsa verde, and cilantro, plus 2 pieces wheat toast with mixed berry jam from the farm stand; turkey and provolone on a roll with mustard; then 8 oz steak, salad, and loaded baked potato at a restaurant for Mother's Day. 

• Like 5

Saturday - 

Breakfast - We had to be out the door early for a graduation ceremony, so I had a walnut chocolate chip WellBean bar in the car.

Lunch - Got back home in the early afternoon, and I had my usual breakfast greens and grain/bean/fruit bowl for lunch.

Dinner - Homemade pizza with tomato sauce, grilled onions and peppers, artichoke hearts, mushrooms, green olives, and WFPB sweet Italian crumbles (from Nutcase Vegan).

• Like 5

No breakfast for me today; not very hungry. For lunch I had a salad with 5 types organic lettuces, sharp cheddar, organic peas, organic local tomatoes, and an Italian dressing we got at a specialty shop, plus a yeast roll. 

Will update after dinner. 

Update. I didn't have dinner. I ate a piece of the pie we made (cream cheese, pineapple, apple and walnut in graham cracker crust) and went to bed early. 

Edited by Brittany1116
  • Like 5

I'm too behind to catch up. Not enough veggies the last few days. I need to prep some more food. 

Saturday: tropical smoothie bowl 

breakfast cookies (rainbow plant life recipe reduced maple syrup- raisins- walnuts- almonds-pecans for mix-ins) & fruit at brunch- should have brought myself a salad or something- other than what I brought the only other thing there I could eat was bacon and I'm eating vegan currently. I really needed something savory at that point.

more breakfast cookies while cooking

dinner: lentil sloppy joes- no bun- I overcooked the lentils and didn't care for seasoning- boo! Ate it anyway- baked fries; mixed green salad w/ homemade vinegarette, cucumbers, and mixed cherry tomatoes, w/ pepitas

Sunday:

chocolate banana smoothie bowl- topped w/ raspberries a bit of homemade muesli w/ 2 small breafkast 'cookies' on the side

lunch: after hiking- roasted spiced chickpeas; carrots; orange bell pepper; pink lady apple; pistachios; coconut water

afternoon- snack- 1.5 tostados w/ pinto beans + jicama salad (jicama, cilantro, red bell pepper, purple onion, mandarin oranges, cumin) ; vegan/gf  yada yada dark chocolate- 2 small squares; air popped popcorn + unfortified yeast

dinner: basmati rice; baby bella mushrooms, carrots, spinach, sesame seeds, gochujang sauce

dessert- 1 date w/ 2 pecans

Monday: 

chocolate pb smoothie bowl + 2 small breakfast cookies

basmati rice w/ spinach, carrots, baby bok choy, and baby bella w/ homemade sauce and scrambled tofu

dinner: salad I think- I need to cook some beans of some sort to go with it

snacks???

I need to get groceries but I probably won't go until tomorrow. I was starving yesterday with not eating enough Saturday.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 5

Small cortadito at 10. 

3 of our fresh eggs scrambled with sharp cheddar, salsa verde, and cilantro at 1:15, followed by a sliver of yesterday's pie. I have a killer sweet tooth. 

Dinner will be Mexican pizzas from Kristin Cavallari's new cookbook that I just happened upon at the library. Side salads for those who need more. 

• Like 5

Sunday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with black ayocote beans, oats, kamut, goldenberries. blackberries, longans, guava, kiwi, peach, pineapple, canary melon, pomegranate, passion fruit, dragon fruit, elderberries, chokeberries, barberries, fig, goji berries, mulberries, lime and orange zest, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Leftover homemade veggie pizza and an apple.

Dinner - A steamed artichoke, homemade oil-free tortilla chips, guacamole, salsa.

Dessert - Tracy's Real Foods sunny oat pumpkin muffins.

• Like 4

Monday - I got eggs.

lunch - scrambled eggs with onions, mushrooms and mixed greens;  1/2 flaxseed muffin, dark chocolate.

Dinner- Filipino pork adobo, brown rice, mixed veggies (corn, peas, green beans and carrots), cold edamame.

Eggs before bedtime

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
forgot the green beans
  • Like 4

Monday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with cranberry beans, 10 grain cereal, mango, blueberries, blackberries, kiwi, guava, apple, goldenberries, longans, pomegranate, passion fruit, dragon fruit, fig, pluot, sour cherries, goji berries, mulberries, lime and orange zest, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Big salad with mixed greens, bell pepper, tomato, cucumber, mushrooms, eggplant, radishes, edamame, strawberries, sesame seeds, nigella, WFPB 1000 Island.

Dinner - A steamed artichoke. Veggie burger wrap with pickles, red onions, and cabbage microgreens. Sweet potato oven fries and steamed veggies (carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, summer squash, asparagus).

• Like 4

dinner yesterday was my leftover chickpea 'tuna' salad w/ mixed greens, basmati, roasted cauliflower, and cucumbers w/ a drizzle of homemade vinegarette

That was just a combination of what I could find in the frig and make with the least effort. I didn't make it home from my opening until nearly 7:30 and I was exhausted (trying to wean off the gabapentin so it was a rough night and not a great day).

The salad was actually good or maybe I was just hungry.

For snacks I packed an apple and a couple of breakfast cookies for the road.

Tuesday:

tofu breakfast scramble w/ sprouted grain toast; 

my first time making the tofu scramble. I don't hate it but I'm not sure what I think of it. 

mid-morning/brunch- smoothie - I have a meeting at 11. It is supposed to be just 1-1.5 hrs but then another 40 minutes home. I don't want to be starving so I'll make a smoothie to go

late lunch: stiry fry- mushroom, spinach, baby bok choy, tofu, basmati rice

dinner: corn tortilla quesadillas w/ peppers, black beans, red onions ???

I absolutely have to get groceries today!!!! I'm working on my list now.

• Like 5

Monday - ETA: Oops, Tuesday!

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with beluga lentils, oats, barley, rye, kiwi, guava, mango, passion fruit, dragon fruit, blueberries, pomegranate, fig, apricot & apricot kernels, goldenberries, longans, lemon and orange zest, goji berries, mulberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Big salad with mixed greens, cauliflower, tofu, tomato, cucumber, bell pepper, radishes, beets, spaghetti squash, sweet potato, broccoli, zucchini, sauerkraut, everything bagel seasoning, jungle peanuts, black bean hummus for dressing.

Dinner - A steamed artichoke and a bowl of veggie/lentil/barley soup (from the freezer). A few buckwheat and flax crackers.

Edited by Selkie
  • Like 4

I am scrambling to get our business open so haven't had time to post - mostly eating well but my coffee uptake is red-lining. It's really helpful to read and post here.

Today I had an egg and a slice of whole rye toast, tonight was quinoa, purple cabbage and bok choy plus a salad of cukes, parsley, cilantro, lemon juice, local lettuces, and a little too much mint but it was refreshing.

• Like 4

I've lost track of checking in here as I've been traveling a few days. I'm in another state helping my dd pack to move as well as deep cleaning the house and the apartment. I did two days of driving that also involved visiting with folks along the way. It's been a completely bizarre mix of eating super-healthy meals but appalling snacks on the road, mostly chips and chocolate candy. Normally when I eat chocolate at home it's 85% or 90% dark and I don't eat much because it's so intense. On the road, though, my chocolate was genuine candy. Similarly with chips--there are plenty of times that I allow myself a small handful of chips, especially tortilla chips with salsa. It's not the healthiest, but I figure a small handful especially if paired with a fiery salsa is acceptable in my world. But in the car, I mindlessly snacked on potato chips, too many, and then felt icky. Ugh. 

But in better news, my meals have been pretty solid. I ate Jimmy Johns unwhiches or a salad for a couple meals. Oatmeal or eggs for breakfast the last few days. Homemade Korean lettuce wraps last night for dinner along with some grapes. So all is not lost. 

While I'm here helping dd I will focus on healthy choices, which I can control to a large extent since I am shopping and cooking. I will need to shop before I start driving after the move so that I have better choices that I like right in the car with me rather than succumbing to gas station temptations.

• Like 3

Wednesday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with Blue Goose field peas, 10 grain cereal, mango, peaches, fig, pluot, longans, blueberries, raspberries, sour cherries, pomegranate, kiwi, guava, lemon and orange zest, goldenberries, dragon fruit, goji berries, mulberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Big salad with kale, pea tendrils, carrot, bell pepper, cucumber, beets, radishes, tofu, asparagus, mixed raw nuts, sesame seeds, nigella, hummus.

Dinner - Another bowl of veggie/lentil/barley soup from the freezer and some steamed broccoli. I also made the flax biscuits from Jane and Ann Esselstyn’s cookbook.

• Like 2