Menu

I had my color palette analyzed online. . .

Kidlit

6 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

My hair doesn't do "big".  Even when it was in style.  So I guess I will have to make do with small hair.

I spent years going to stylists and explaining that my hair absolutely would NOT do the Farrah Fawcett back-flip-wave thing, and each one would swear on the life of her children that she could Make It Work. Each one was wrong. I finally found a stylist that would cut my Western European White Girl Hair such that it looked good even though Farrah Fawcett was nowhere to be seen. I followed him for several years and a couple of perms (my hair doesn't like to be permed, either; if it's cut too short it just sort of *sproings* off the rollers).

• Like 1

My hair will totally do the big hair with just a layered cut and a comb.  Don't even need hairspray.   Of course, I didn't know that back when the big hair was in style.  I'm totally convinced that if I had just had the right hair back then, my whole high school career would have been different.   (Not really, I was still awkward, quiet and didn't have the right clothes, but I can dream).   Instead I had perms.   Very tightly curled perms with massive amounts of thick hair.  Think poodle.  

I was told I was an autumn years and years ago.  I do have dark brown hair with lots of natural red tones and hazel eyes, so I bet it's still true.   I do tend to wear autumn type colors more than pastels, but I mostly wear black, browns and grays.   

• Like 1

Just now, Ellie said:

I finally found a stylist that would cut my Western European White Girl Hair such that it looked good even though Farrah Fawcett was nowhere to be seen.

Also, when I was dancing with a professional hula group, I really was the only white girl; the others were Filipino, Mexican, Portuguese, Guamanian, Black...they could all wash their hair and braid it, leaving it until it dried, and then take out the braids and voila! wonderful big fluffy hair. My Western European White Girl Hair would just sort of have flat wrinkles, which would fall out after an hour and just be...flat.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, easypeasy said:

Not only is my wardrobe pretty monochromatic - it's also a lot of the same pieces. 😄 Find a shirt I like? Yay! Buy it in white, cream, and black! Ooooh, nice cardigan? It comes in grey, beige, and black - all of which come home with me! I have three pair of the same black shoes..

DS17’s wardrobe is filled with The Children’s Place red long polo shirt and Gap jeans. Its his “school uniform”. He does own a white oxford shirt for stuff like recitals. My summer clothes is just long sleeve T-shirts and jeans because I get sunburned easily and I don’t want to use so much sunscreen.

On 4/16/2023 at 9:46 PM, Kidlit said:

Do you pay attention to your palette when you shop for clothes?

I also like the cool tones, and I don't buy anything in warms. (Warms bring out the 'sallow' undertones in my skin. I'd be hard pressed to know if I'm winter or summer, though, I like both your palette and darker jewel tones.

I had both the Farrah Fawcett flip layers and later big hair. When ds was a teen he saw a photo of me with big hair and thought it was hilarious. He had heard about 80s big hair but I think it was quite a shock to see his mom with it lol.

In the 80s when the color season was a big thing some friends and I had ours done. I no longer remember what season I am or even what color palettes go with what season. What I do remember is that all of us, who were in our mid-late 20s at the time, were already wearing what looked good on us. We might not have known what season we were but we knew what colors did and didn't look good on us.

Does this thread make you think that Anne Shirley could have avoided so much angst about not being able to wear pink, if only she'd gotten her colors done and found out that she was a lovely Autumn?

Just so you all know, I love the season color analysis, and still (still!) have my original Color Me Beautiful book from the '80s.  I'm very happy to be an Autumn myself.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Quarter Note said:

Does this thread make you think that Anne Shirley could have avoided so much angst about not being able to wear pink, if only she'd gotten her colors done and found out that she was a lovely Autumn?

Just so you all know, I love the season color analysis, and still (still!) have my original Color Me Beautiful book from the '80s.  I'm very happy to be an Autumn myself.

This inveterate Anne fan gives a hearty "hear, hear!" 

• Like 1

This is one of my favorite hobbies, lol. I love it all - color analysis, body type, energy type.  I am a cool winter. Before my hair started graying, it was dark brunette. Now that it's changed to an ashy blond color, I have stayed the same season. I think that skin tone is the most important thing, as it's the biggest part of a person's coloring. I need cool and medium-deep to deep colors.

In the Kibbe system, I am a flamboyant gamine. I remember checking out that book from the library in the 80s, lol.

In DYT, I am apparently a Type 3/2, which means warm colors. I don't look good in the colors for my type, so that one is hard to reconcile. 

I have a set of big thick cardboard "chin boards" meant for seasonal color analysis. I've analyzed my whole family, lol. It's pretty amazing how obvious they've all been. 

12 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

In the 80s when the color season was a big thing some friends and I had ours done. I no longer remember what season I am or even what color palettes go with what season. What I do remember is that all of us, who were in our mid-late 20s at the time, were already wearing what looked good on us. We might not have known what season we were but we knew what colors did and didn't look good on us.

According to my favorite color analyst, about 80% of people naturally wear the colors that look best on them. But also Springs like to wear Winter colors, because Winter colors are so strong and vibrant, and that's what Spring colors are. So, it will be common for a Spring to like to wear black, which really only looks *good* on Winters. Summers feel comfortable in some Autumn colors, so you might find a Summer wearing shades of green or brown. I know this to be true, as I had to get rid of several Autumn-color garments when I learned I was a Summer. Haven't looked back, either, lol.

• Like 1

I did this with my mom when I was in college.  We did a different one called color key system  You were either a key 1 (cool colors) or a key 2 (warm colors) from there she would refine it down to your best color choices.  The biggest point was not to mix the two keys when using color for a more harmonious feel.  I see she is still out there and has a website called Beauty and Color Education.  with Renae Knapp  she wrote a book too.

Both my mother and I were Key 1 but she would have been classified a winter and I would have been a summer

17 hours ago, Princess5 said:

How do I get mine analyzed if I want to..thid sounds very intriguing..

It's tricky, because seasonal color analysis is no longer trendy, so there are fewer people who can do it.

I can give you a tip on first figuring out if you're warm (Autumn/Fall, Spring) or cool (Winter, Summer):  If you can go somewhere that you can try on actual make-up: use warm colors on one side of your face (e.g., peachy-apricot-y blush, ditto lipstick) and cool on the other (true rose/red blush & lipstick). If you're a Warm season, the cool make-up will look funky on you, you can't blend the blush enough, your lipstick makes your lips look weird; if you're a Cool season, then the warm make-up will look funky. Figuring individual colors in your pallet might not be so tricky, once you know you're warm or cool. Generally speaking, cool colors will exclude orange, Century 21 gold, bronze, most shades of brown, many shades of green (such as avocado). Warm colors will exclude black, true red or true pink, true pastels.

The company I trained with is no longer in business, so I cannot acquire any more color pallets (I have one of each, just for comparison). My consultant put together her own pallets; she literally draped each of her client with dozens of colors to find the ones which looked best, then made a pallet for each.

17 hours ago, Princess5 said:

How do I get mine analyzed if I want to..thid sounds very intriguing..

My mom would ask me to go along for clothes shopping. I would put different colored prom dresses on me in front of a long mirror at the store and see which ones make me look sickly and which ones make me look energetic. I realize I have to avoid pastels, gray and clinical white. 

If you go to a fabric shop like Jo-Ann, you could also play with the fabric swatches there. 

11 minutes ago, Ellie said:

It's tricky, because seasonal color analysis is no longer trendy, so there are fewer people who can do it.

I can give you a tip on first figuring out if you're warm (Autumn/Fall, Spring) or cool (Winter, Summer):  If you can go somewhere that you can try on actual make-up: use warm colors on one side of your face (e.g., peachy-apricot-y blush, ditto lipstick) and cool on the other (true rose/red blush & lipstick). 

An easy tip for warm or cool is whether gold or silver jewelry looks better on you. Gold suits warm more while silver suits cool more. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ellie said:

I can give you a tip on first figuring out if you're warm (Autumn/Fall, Spring) or cool (Winter, Summer):  If you can go somewhere that you can try on actual make-up: use warm colors on one side of your face (e.g., peachy-apricot-y blush, ditto lipstick) and cool on the other (true rose/red blush & lipstick). If you're a Warm season, the cool make-up will look funky on you, you can't blend the blush enough, your lipstick makes your lips look weird; if you're a Cool season, then the warm make-up will look funky. Figuring individual colors in your pallet might not be so tricky, once you know you're warm or cool. Generally speaking, cool colors will exclude orange, Century 21 gold, bronze, most shades of brown, many shades of green (such as avocado). Warm colors will exclude black, true red or true pink, true pastels.

The company I trained with is no longer in business, so I cannot acquire any more color pallets (I have one of each, just for comparison). My consultant put together her own pallets; she literally draped each of her client with dozens of colors to find the ones which looked best, then made a pallet for each.

For my color analysis with Created Colorful, I draped myself about forty times total and took a selfie in each color to email to the consultant. 

• Like 1