Menu

Can you help me write an email?

saraha

Last fall my daughter crossed paths with an Associate Professor at a nearby tech school who specializes in agriculture. The lady gave dd her card. Dd acted like she might be interested in giving me some advice. So I want to send an email like the following only much better, haha.

Dear Ms. Taylor,
 You don't know me, but my daughter Noren used to work at The Vault coffee shop in Russellville. She had told me about talking to you about fruit trees and gardening and gave me your card. I am writing to see if you might be able to help me.  I am not sure if you make "house calls" but if you were ever in the area and were willing to stop by I would really appreciate it. I have some specific questions about our fruit trees and raspberries. Thanks for your time.

I don't know what is wrong with me, but for some reason I cant seem to create a coherent and professional sounding email.🫥

5 minutes ago, saraha said:

Last fall my daughter crossed paths with an Associate Professor at a nearby tech school who specializes in agriculture. The lady gave dd her card. Dd acted like she might be interested in giving me some advice. So I want to send an email like the following only much better, haha.

Dear Ms. Taylor,
 You don't know me, but my daughter Noren used to work at The Vault coffee shop in Russellville. She had told me about talking to you about fruit trees and gardening and gave me your card. I am writing to see if you might be able to help me.  I am not sure if you make "house calls" but if you were ever in the area and were willing to stop by I would really appreciate it. I have some specific questions about our fruit trees and raspberries. Thanks for your time.

I don't know what is wrong with me, but for some reason I cant seem to create a coherent and professional sounding email.🫥

Personally,  I wouldn't mention house calls like that - it seems too pushy for a first contact. I would just ask if she would be able to give you some advice.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, saraha said:

Dear Ms. Taylor,

I agree with @Laura Corin 

And in the email I'd cut out all the words before "I have some specific questions about my fruit trees and raspberries." Way too wordy. Just go straight to the point. You want advice on fruit trees and bushes. State the problem, and ask if she provides any consultation services for these kinds of issues.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

I agree with @Laura Corin 

And in the email I'd cut out all the words before "I have some specific questions about my fruit trees and raspberries." Way too wordy. Just go straight to the point. You want advice on fruit trees and bushes. State the problem, and ask if she provides any consultation services for these kinds of issues.

Agreeing and emphasizing this point because in the OP it is not clear if you are willing to pay for her service, or expect it for free because of the connection with your daughter. 

• Like 3

On 4/14/2023 at 5:45 PM, Ottakee said:

Another option to check is your state or county extension office as often they have master gardeners on staff that provide a lot of advice for free.

This. Our extension office is so knowledgeable. College professors are some time quite narrow in their knowledge due to the scope of their research. I would never be able to contact MSU and pick a random professor to ask about my garden or fruit trees. But I can call the MSU extension office for my county, and they have horticulturalists and master gardeners who have lived here for decades and know EVERYTHING about the local plant life. Sometimes I even run across and Department Of Natural Resources conservation officer who knows as well, especially if I am concerned about an invasive variety.

Edited by Faith-manor
Typo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Faith-manor said:

This. Our extension office is so knowledgeable. College professors are some time quite narrow in their knowledge due to the scope of their research. I would never be able to contact MSU and pick a random professor to ask about my garden or fruit trees. But I can call the MSU extension office for my county, and they have horticulturalists and master gardeners who have lived here for decades and know EVERYTHING about the local plant life. Sometimes I even run across and Department Of Natural Resources conservation officer who knows as well, especially if I am concerned about an invasive variety.

Yes and they know your exactly climate and micro climates.   Even our local community garden smaller than a football field had different needs based on shade or full sun and wind protection or not

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1