Menu

April craft thread

1 hour ago, Faith-manor said:

If you can make pajama pants,  I can talk you through something like these baby overalls. The facing would be the most challenging thing, and this particular facing goes in and turns very easily.

See the problem is, I don't even know what facing IS. And whenever I try to find beginner tutorials on clothing they skip over all the definitions. I have a feeling I could do the sewing if I could figure out what they are talking about, lol. I probably need to find more/better tutorials. 

11 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

See the problem is, I don't even know what facing IS. And whenever I try to find beginner tutorials on clothing they skip over all the definitions. I have a feeling I could do the sewing if I could figure out what they are talking about, lol. I probably need to find more/better tutorials. 

Facing is a small piece of fabric usually put around necklines or armholes to make the seam sturdier.  https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=facing+definition+sewing#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:0d3818f1,vid:1N2SFlMcZ28

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I will help you! I didn't know any thing when I started. The first thing I made was a night gown for Dd when she was two. We lived in Oregon, and I spent some long distance money calling my mom back in Michigan for help with the terms. Yes. I grew up with someone who was offered a job with Butterick right out of high school because of her sewing competition wins, and managed to not know a darn thing. She wanted to teach me to sew, but I only had eyes for the piano during my childhood. 

Sometime, I should have you to the Alabama house to sew. Dd has a nice sunny room with a view set up for it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

I will help you! I didn't know any thing when I started. The first thing I made was a night gown for Dd when she was two. We lived in Oregon, and I spent some long distance money calling my mom back in Michigan for help with the terms. Yes. I grew up with someone who was offered a job with Butterick right out of high school because of her sewing competition wins, and managed to not know a darn thing. She wanted to teach me to sew, but I only had eyes for the piano during my childhood. 

Sometime, I should have you to the Alabama house to sew. Dd has a nice sunny room with a view set up for it. 

Aww. I did find a tutorial for that pajama pants pattern, it was done by a home ec teacher, I think it was for her students during Covid who were distance learning or something. Maybe I can search for more pattern specific tutorials - it was really helpful to have her demonstrating what the pattern meant while I was lookin at the pattern. Sort of like a video rosetta stone, lol. 

• Like 1