Menu

April craft thread

I thought I would try a different vintage 1940s copy of pattern skirt. It was several sizes small, so I thought I would make it bigger. I added to the pattern. Cut out the fabric, started sewing,   thought the skirt was way to big, added extra pleats,  tried it on, cut several inches off the sides. I am very glad I thought to do a mock up using a bedsheet as it still seems too big. Maybe the original was close to the right size after all.

Maybe I imagine myself fatter than I am. 

• Like 7

I am beginning a set of baby overalls made with strawberry themed fabric, trimmed in green check, and with strawberry buttons. I also have on deck to make some new curtains for the kitchen window over the sink. But, I have seeds to start inside first. Iw as supposed to do that last week, but, I ended up dealing with an emergency for mother in law, and then realized I didn't want them to germinate while I was gone, so delayed one week. I may not get back to sewing until after Easter.

• Like 8

I’m working on piecing a lap size quilt. I also have been wanting to learn how to make an appliquéd wool mat. I have a kit, but have been putting it off. My local quilt shop is offering a class at the end of the month and I think I might just take this class to get me started. Here’s a picture of the project they are teaching.

94119431-B529-4C93-8FE7-3C86B0CCA591.jpeg

• Like 9

Greetings fellow crafters. Here is my sweater update. Body done (except for ribbing at collar), one sleeve started. Unfortunately it is getting a tad warm to have a wool sweater in one's lap so I'll have to take advantage of any forthcoming cool spells.

I also made another cotton knit Henley, the same shirt I made last month but in a different size. I wanted to reinforce some things that I learned on round one. The second Henley went much faster with less use of my seam ripper. Mending next then I think I'll make a tunic for myself.

April update sweater.jpg

• Like 15

I'm crocheting and knitting baby blankets for a market; I'm averaging about one per week. I'm also working on a double-knitted wrap and started an English paper piecing quilt that is going to take forever but is a nice long-term project to have going.

ETA photos of my EPP quilt start, the most recently finished blanket, current blanket start

IMG_20230304_143639_497.jpg

IMG_20230327_101033853_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20230331_124324_083.jpg

Edited by Jhwk21
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 2

On 4/7/2023 at 12:12 PM, Jane in NC said:

Greetings fellow crafters. Here is my sweater update. Body done (except for ribbing at collar), one sleeve started. Unfortunately it is getting a tad warm to have a wool sweater in one's lap so I'll have to take advantage of any forthcoming cool spells.

I also made another cotton knit Henley, the same shirt I made last month but in a different size. I wanted to reinforce some things that I learned on round one. The second Henley went much faster with less use of my seam ripper. Mending next then I think I'll make a tunic for myself.

April update sweater.jpg

Love it! 😍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I will come back later with pictures, but I *finally* finished quilting and binding the ginormous quilt for DH & I! Over 400 inches of binding (I do *not* do bias binding, so at least that was easier), and I did the binding all by machine, but it is DONE. Trimming strings and will wash/dry, and it will be on our bed tonight, finally! 

As that's been my "craft thread" post since, oh, January...? before?....thought I'd better update even if I don't have good pics yet! 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Finished putting the binding on this quilted wall hanging yesterday. Today realized it is decidedly lopsided. Also realized I don't really care, lol. 

Started working on a table runner as well but that did NOT get finished in time. Worked on it some today, i figure Eastertide is a season, not a day, right?

image.thumb.png.cadc0a71f89bace5c75374d296d68461.png

• Like 16

On 4/9/2023 at 10:10 PM, ktgrok said:

Finished putting the binding on this quilted wall hanging yesterday. Today realized it is decidedly lopsided. Also realized I don't really care, lol. 

Started working on a table runner as well but that did NOT get finished in time. Worked on it some today, i figure Eastertide is a season, not a day, right?

image.thumb.png.cadc0a71f89bace5c75374d296d68461.png

Adorable! You are doing a great job, Ktgrok!! Love it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Faith-manor said:

Adorable! You are doing a great job, Ktgrok!! Love it.

Thanks. Let me say I now know why people hate flying geese blocks. And I will not repeat the words I said when cutting literally hundreds of pieces less than 1 inch square. 

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

Thanks. Let me say I now know why people hate flying geese blocks. And I will not repeat the words I said when cutting literally hundreds of pieces less than 1 inch square. 

If quilting doesn't at least make you think profanity, you are either a witch or not doing it right! 😆😆😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

So...there is a used longarm machine (mid arm I guess) on facebook marketplace that is a STEAL of a deal. About 1.5 hours from me. It's a Brother Dream Quilter 15. That is the same machine as a Q'Nique 15R, but with a bigger screen, just under the Brother brand. (Q'Nique fully admits this is their machine, their parts/accessories go with it, etc. only thing that doesn't is the quilting software if you ever get the automation, that has to come from Brother). Anyway, the deal is amazing - the 5ft hoop frame (size I wanted) and the machine, and the rear handles added if I ever want to do pantographs from the rear, laser light, ruler table thing, etc. It is no longer being sold, but I checked and you can still order accessories and parts - it uses the same ones as the Q'Nique 16 machines, which ARE being still sold, and Q'nique says they will continue to provide service and parts and such for the 15 inch line. I found multiple places selling stuff for it, and there are a ton of tutorials on youtube, etc. They have the manual and the original box. Honestly, it seems like the perfect machine for me to practice my skills on, and if/when I want to upgrade I could get a bigger machine and  the frame alone is worth nearly the price she's asking. Or keep this and later add on the automated/robotic software if I want - that is also still sold. 

I need to figure out if I can fit it in the van with all the seats folded down. And of course I'd try it out first, she has it all set up, but I got a good vibe from her, we hit it off on the phone right away. 

Now, to find out if DH is okay with the purchase. He's in Omaha for work, flying back today. I told the woman and she was happy to hold it for me until he is back and I will talk to her tomorrow. I did try to message him about the machine, and he replied, "if you want it, but it". I'm HOPING that was an autocorrect and he meant "if you want it, buy it". He also sent a photo of the weather forecast showing snow. Will update soon. I have a quilt to make for a friend at church who has breast cancer, and having my OWN long arm would be amazing! 

I did go rent some time on one from another person yesterday - she was super nice and her machine was awesome (she has the computer automation as well) but at $25 an hour to practice on scraps, plus drive time, it's just going to be hard to get good enough to do much. 

• Like 3

@ktgrok Sounds like you found a good deal. Just in case you were looking for more options, this is a link to find used machines. I like to browse here every now and then just to look at what’s available. https://longarmuniversity.com/MachinesForSale.html#M4S

Im not sure what kind of frame you are looking for (rollers or stationary snap frame), but if you are getting rollers to roll up your quilt, keep in mind that as you roll the quilt, it takes up room in your quilting area. So, if you have a 15 inch throat space, but the roll up takes up 5 inches, then you will have 10 inches of room to quilt. If you are only doing small quilts then it’s probably not a concern. 

Edited by Mona
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Mona said:

@ktgrok Sounds like you found a good deal. Just in case you were looking for more options, this is a link to find used machines. I like to browse here every now and then just to look at what’s available. https://longarmuniversity.com/MachinesForSale.html#M4S

Im not sure what kind of frame you are looking for (rollers or stationary snap frame), but if you are getting rollers to roll up your quilt, keep in mind that as you roll the quilt, it takes up room in your quilting area. So, if you have a 15 inch throat space, but the roll up takes up 5 inches, then you will have 10 inches of room to quilt. If you are only doing small quilts then it’s probably not a concern. 

Yes, I do check there now - and on a facebook group, etc. This one is a stationary snap/hoop frame, I just don't have room for a full size frame with rollers. 

• Like 1

DH called from the airport - he said yes! We talked and he agrees that it sounds like a good beginner machine and a great deal.  the machine, frame, and the rear handles, rulers, bobbins, laser, etc are being sold all for $1,500. 

This is the machine and frame I'm getting. (she has it lowered to sitting height, but it goes to full standing height as well). I apologize for her over enthusiasm - I really dislike overly enthusiastic vidoes but it was what I could find fast, lol)

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I haven't posted in a while. We took Mark's mom to visit relatives, and then we were working to build the new raised bed gardens. BUT, I am back to the sewing this week. I have two sets of overalls to make for my grandbaby before I leave on Friday to go for a visit. I will definitely post pics.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

A super cute sailor suit outfit for my grandson. The pattern was out of a magazine and very tricky

16817105461383905215022548003442.jpg

holy cuteness!!!! That is freaking adorable and makes me want a baby just so I can ask you to make a baby outfit for me! (not really, cause I vaguely remember them crying and pooping a lot). 

That is awesome, and I can only imagine how hard all those gathers and such were!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I took in the elastic on a skirt for my niece to wear to the Taylor Swift concert. I warned my sister when she called that asking a quilter to do garment sewing is like asking a car mechanic to fix your refrigerator. Then I acknowledged that we are TOTALLY the kind of family that would ask our car mechanic friend to fix our refrigerator, and she agreed. Thankfully she said it only had to hold up for one night, the skirt waist in the back would be covered by a jacket, and if I didn't try to do it she was just going to use a rubber band. So, no pressure. It was all shiny and almost metalic or plastic or something, but I ended up just ripping open a spot on the waist, pulling the elastic out, cutting, and resewing it, then when trying to properly close the seam didn't work I just sort of made it look closed and zig zagged over it, lol. Ugly, but whatever. No way was I doing it properly but opening up where the gathers were. Also, after saying it would take 5 minutes I proceeded to fight with my machine for 20 minutes, only to realize that this was not due to thread caught somewhere, nor because I didn't have the right needle for that weird fabric, but because I had been chatting while threading the machine and done it with the presser foot down (had had on a free motion hopping foot when she showed up, so harder to tell if foot is up or down) and the thread wasn't in the freaking tension discs properly. This was my time to actually look like I know what I'm doing and help someone and I couldnt' even thread the machine!!! Dork. Anyway, niece was thrilled, and had a great time, and my sister is a wonderful mom who had given up her ticket so another of the girls in the friend group could go. So my nieces'f friend's mom was the only mom with the three girls and my sister sat in her hotel room during the concert. (and I watched their poodle..again...who yaps and tries to sleep on your head and kept me up all night, lol)

• Like 7

And - I bought the used long arm! It was a 4 hour round trip into the boonies of Florida - but we did drive by the nations 3rd largest outdoor nursery/tree farm, lol. We were driving and I said, 'that's a lot of trees". A few minutes later we are still passing them and I said, "wow...a LOT of trees."  Minutes later and STILL the same tree farm and I asked, "Is this where ALL trees come from??" It was crazy. Lots of cows, cattle egrets, and a few falling down houses. A no tell motel and a bar called the lighthouse - with a light house - as far from the ocean as you can get in Florida. It was...interesting. But the house of the lady selling it was adorable with the cutest landscaping and such, and she really just wanted the thing gone. It intimidated her, she'd never done more than barely try it out after buying it used herself. She also had a bunch of accessories that she didn't know what they were for and were still in the packaging mostly. Hundreds of dollars of stuff. And the carriage and a stand alone stitch regulator to use it with a standard sewing machine as well, that I can easily sell. 

She liked that I was homeschooling my kids, and go to church - although she'd be less thrilled if she knew we are doing it for different reasons than I imagine she would think...and that I plan to volunteer to long arm some Project Linus quilts. And she was thrilled I'd had some hands on practice, taken a few private lessons basically, so that she knew it would get actual use. I promised to send her a photo of the first quilt I do on it. 

She also nicely included several packages of needles - that are the wrong kind, lol. They are standard sewing machine needles. Thankfully I checked and the one in the machine is the right kind, and I ordered more from Amazong. Lots of bobbins as well - those are the right kind. A laser for following pantographas, rear handles, AND a set of plastic "groovy boards" and the stylus that goes with them. I am, to use a favorite british word, "chuffed". 

That said, I'm tired and it is rainy and gloomy and allergies are bad so I'm being pretty slow at getting it all ready to use. Maybe I'm getting old. Or I just want to do it right so I don't mess it up? Just cleaned out the bobbin area (not bad), ordered new needles and oil (I have some but the bottle is a PIA and it is ancient), channel locks (only thing it didn't come with, these ones are different brand but should workd, and if not DH will rig me up something), and some more thread. I have a dental cleaning at 1:30 I dont' want to go to, and am letting the kids do school "lite" as I play with this today. 

Screen Shot 2023-04-17 at 11.35.58 AM.png

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

And - I bought the used long arm! It was a 4 hour round trip into the boonies of Florida - but we did drive by the nations 3rd largest outdoor nursery/tree farm, lol. We were driving and I said, 'that's a lot of trees". A few minutes later we are still passing them and I said, "wow...a LOT of trees."  Minutes later and STILL the same tree farm and I asked, "Is this where ALL trees come from??" It was crazy. Lots of cows, cattle egrets, and a few falling down houses. A no tell motel and a bar called the lighthouse - with a light house - as far from the ocean as you can get in Florida. It was...interesting. But the house of the lady selling it was adorable with the cutest landscaping and such, and she really just wanted the thing gone. It intimidated her, she'd never done more than barely try it out after buying it used herself. She also had a bunch of accessories that she didn't know what they were for and were still in the packaging mostly. Hundreds of dollars of stuff. And the carriage and a stand alone stitch regulator to use it with a standard sewing machine as well, that I can easily sell. 

She liked that I was homeschooling my kids, and go to church - although she'd be less thrilled if she knew we are doing it for different reasons than I imagine she would think...and that I plan to volunteer to long arm some Project Linus quilts. And she was thrilled I'd had some hands on practice, taken a few private lessons basically, so that she knew it would get actual use. I promised to send her a photo of the first quilt I do on it. 

She also nicely included several packages of needles - that are the wrong kind, lol. They are standard sewing machine needles. Thankfully I checked and the one in the machine is the right kind, and I ordered more from Amazong. Lots of bobbins as well - those are the right kind. A laser for following pantographas, rear handles, AND a set of plastic "groovy boards" and the stylus that goes with them. I am, to use a favorite british word, "chuffed". 

That said, I'm tired and it is rainy and gloomy and allergies are bad so I'm being pretty slow at getting it all ready to use. Maybe I'm getting old. Or I just want to do it right so I don't mess it up? Just cleaned out the bobbin area (not bad), ordered new needles and oil (I have some but the bottle is a PIA and it is ancient), channel locks (only thing it didn't come with, these ones are different brand but should workd, and if not DH will rig me up something), and some more thread. I have a dental cleaning at 1:30 I dont' want to go to, and am letting the kids do school "lite" as I play with this today. 

You.are.my.sewing.hero. 💜💜💜

On Saturday we had our first full-on nice weather day. Yesterday was overcast and cool. Today I finished my first pair of undies and there it's no way I'm taking off the clothing required to try them on. I'm so cold!! 😄 Saturday was shirts and t-shirt, today is wool sweater over long sleeves.

• Like 6

43 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

You.are.my.sewing.hero. 💜💜💜

Haven't gotten it quite working yet - so hold off with the statue in my honor, lol. If I get it going properly (steep learning curve) you can plan a Florida vacation to play on it!

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

On Saturday we had our first full-on nice weather day. Yesterday was overcast and cool. Today I finished my first pair of undies and there it's no way I'm taking off the clothing required to try them on. I'm so cold!! 😄 Saturday was shirts and t-shirt, today is wool sweater over long sleeves.

Oh gosh, same here. I have a sun dress cut out and waiting. 80's last week. Today? 41°. Ugh. No point in hurrying on the sundress.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Miss Tick said:

What type of elastic did you use on the undies? I've had some issues in elastic application but it may be due to not finding the right stitch/tension arrangement.

6 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Wow! You got it set up already, too! I can’t believe what a great deal you got on this, and she barely used it. I’m excited for you!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ktgrok said:

holy cuteness!!!! That is freaking adorable and makes me want a baby just so I can ask you to make a baby outfit for me! (not really, cause I vaguely remember them crying and pooping a lot). 

That is awesome, and I can only imagine how hard all those gathers and such were!

The gathers were the easy part because I finally worked out what this treadle sewing machine attachment us for. Minute pintucks 

export1681771090620.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Jane in NC said:

What type of elastic did you use on the undies? I've had some issues in elastic application but it may be due to not finding the right stitch/tension arrangement.

I used strips of knit fabric. The pattern had options for fold over elastic, enclosed elastic, or knit bands. I'm going to order some FOE for next time. I'm hoping to use up some knit fabric scraps. I also added some fabric and elastic to try my hand at making a swimsuit.

What you're of elastic were you using?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

I used strips of knit fabric. The pattern had options for fold over elastic, enclosed elastic, or knit bands. I'm going to order some FOE for next time. I'm hoping to use up some knit fabric scraps. I also added some fabric and elastic to try my hand at making a swimsuit.

What you're of elastic were you using?

I too was using knit fabric scraps with picot edge lingerie elastic as well as basic elastic. I need to try fold over too.

• Like 1

The long arm has a bad encoder cable. The encoder wheels themselves work, it is just a bad cable. So, hopefully not expensive and hopefully I can get someone to send me one fast. It probably got damaged in transport. 

Edit- my wizard of a husband MADE ME a new cable for it! He used a phone cable and I don't know what else. He also is making a better, shorter one (this phone cable is really long) tomorrow, when a part comes. So now, as soon as DD6 is fully asleep, I get to actually USE the thing!

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

46 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

The long arm has a bad encoder cable. The encoder wheels themselves work, it is just a bad cable. So, hopefully not expensive and hopefully I can get someone to send me one fast. It probably got damaged in transport. 

Edit- my wizard of a husband MADE ME a new cable for it! He used a phone cable and I don't know what else. He also is making a better, shorter one (this phone cable is really long) tomorrow, when a part comes. So now, as soon as DD6 is fully asleep, I get to actually USE the thing!

💃💃💃💃💃👏👏👏👏👏

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

Horay for genius husbands

• Like 1

I got the strawberry overalls for Baby T done. R bought him a knitted strawberry hat on Etsy, so he is going to be super cute for his 3 month old photo shoot at the orchard where we are strawberry picking. I did not make the sheep overalls though. He saw the pediatrician yesterday, and little man has added another inch+ (2.5cm) in the last four weeks. These overalls may be on the edge of too short. So I am not making anymore clothes for him until I can access his size. I leave tomorrow for a visit.

IMG_20230420_074547.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

I got the strawberry overalls for Baby T done. R bought him a knitted strawberry hat on Etsy, so he is going to be super cute for his 3 month old photo shoot at the orchard where we are strawberry picking. I did not make the sheep overalls though. He saw the pediatrician yesterday, and little man has added another inch+ (2.5cm) in the last four weeks. These overalls may be on the edge of too short. So I am not making anymore clothes for him until I can access his size. I leave tomorrow for a visit.

IMG_20230420_074547.jpg

OH MY GOODNESS! The baby clothes on this thread are making my ovaries hurt! It's a good thing DH got the snip or I'd be wanting one of those late in life babies!  Hmm...maybe you could make me a pair in my size? Do they come in short and round? I wouldn't even need a hat - my face turns strawberry red in the heat here so I'd already match!

24 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

OH MY GOODNESS! The baby clothes on this thread are making my ovaries hurt! It's a good thing DH got the snip or I'd be wanting one of those late in life babies!  Hmm...maybe you could make me a pair in my size? Do they come in short and round? I wouldn't even need a hat - my face turns strawberry red in the heat here so I'd already match!

Find a woman for your ds. Grandkids are ALL THAT! 😁😁😁

Seriously Katie, let me see if I can find simple adult overall pattern or maybe shorts or something. This overall pattern is ways peasy. If I am not interrupted, I can make a pair in 90 minutes from cutting to the final step which is the snap tape in the legs. If I can find a pattern (I tend to use ones made prior to 1995 because the instructions and measurements are way more accurate), we can have a little PM chat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Faith-manor said:

Find a woman for your ds. Grandkids are ALL THAT! 😁😁😁

Seriously Katie, let me see if I can find simple adult overall pattern or maybe shorts or something. This overall pattern is ways peasy. If I am not interrupted, I can make a pair in 90 minutes from cutting to the final step which is the snap tape in the legs. If I can find a pattern (I tend to use ones made prior to 1995 because the instructions and measurements are way more accurate), we can have a little PM chat.

honestly, I should learn to do this myself. I have a mental block on garment sewing I think. I need to find a local class or something to get me from "can make a pair of elastic waist straight leg pajamas" to well, anything other than that, lol. 

I finally finished the easter table runner the other day. It has some puckers in a few spots and needs to be ironed, but is cute I think. Mind you, it was all of 5 minutes until the cats knocked it off the table and I remembered why I don't use table runners. 

341536356_5982990908456749_1755393955997

• Like 7

2 hours ago, ktgrok said:

I finally finished the easter table runner the other day. It has some puckers in a few spots and needs to be ironed, but is cute I think. Mind you, it was all of 5 minutes until the cats knocked it off the table and I remembered why I don't use table runners. 

341536356_5982990908456749_1755393955997

That is one of the cutest things I have ever seen for Easter/Spring!

2 hours ago, ktgrok said:

honestly, I should learn to do this myself. I have a mental block on garment sewing I think. I need to find a local class or something to get me from "can make a pair of elastic waist straight leg pajamas" to well, anything other than that, lol. 

If you can make pajama pants,  I can talk you through something like these baby overalls. The facing would be the most challenging thing, and this particular facing goes in and turns very easily.

8 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

IMG_20230420_074547.jpg

Those are adorable! I love the fabric

• Like 1