Menu

Knee Replacement? Ankle replacement?

Katy

An extended family member was just told they need a knee replacement. Please tell me everything you know about it. 

ETA: another poster also wants to know about ankle replacement.  Thanks!

Edited by Katy

I've helped a relative through two. Surgery took several hours, she went home the next day on a walker. They had her out of the bed walking around as soon as she got into a regular room. They did that several times later that afternoon and early the next morning. She had therapy come twice a week to her home for two weeks, and then I took her to the PT place twice a week for several more weeks. Scar was 9" long for one, and pretty much that for the other. She said she wished she had done it earlier as the relief from pain was so great. The pain from the surgery was nothing compared to previous pain. I think she moved to cane maybe 1-2 weeks in? It has been a couple of years, so I do not remember exactly. 

Her doctor did have her increase her protein, vitamin D & C, and zinc before surgery (I think all help with wound healing). He actually had levels he wanted to see before surgery and would reschedule surgery if you weren't there yet. 

She has also had one hip replaced. She said knee was harder recovery than hip. 

They did suggest we get Press-n-Seal so we could wrap that leg so she could take a shower.  I don't remember exactly how we did that - maybe we put a thin towel around it first and then covered with the Press-n-Seal?  But it worked so the area stayed dry so she could get a full shower. 

• Like 4

DH has had it twice.  The first one was twenty years ago due to bone cancer so the recovery was hard.  The second one was 4 years ago to replace the first due to it wearing out.  That was such a breeze.  We had a such a fantastic surgeon.  It was an overnight stay.  He didn’t/want need much help ( stubborn we are lol). The surgeon has all his patients up and moving as soon as possible. The best was he had this silicone bandage on the stitches that had to stay on for a week that was waterproof.  He could shower and that bandage stayed dry. 

Our surgeon highly recommends all his patients try to get some muscle building before surgery.  So we used a former PT to help him get a bit stronger before surgery.  It worked out very well for him.  

I hope your relative has a great outcome too. 

• Like 1

I have a friend that said it was really several months before her knee was up and running. She had pain for quite a while as well. I think the before surgery building up of muscles around the knee make a big difference. I hope it goes well!

• Thanks 1

My chiropractor, who has had both hip and knee replacements, told me that hips are simple and knees are much harder.

My father-in-law had knee replacement, and unfortunately he found the rehab process overwhelming. Bear in mind, though, that it was a horrible time of his life--his beloved wife of decades had finally transitioned into a long-term care facility due to Alzheimer's, and the medical team advising fil really, seriously understated what the process and recovery would be. Fil was utterly unprepared. He was also very sad and he was alone. My dh and sil and I all pitched in to give some coverage, but it was a really tough time. So I would urge your loved one to over-prepare

A dear friend of mine had a totally different scenario than fil. He had both hips and both knees replaced (over years) and feels that these surgeries gave him a whole new lease on life. He is retired and living quite an athletic life--he runs on the elliptical at the gym almost every day in addition to other exercise and sports fun like pickleball. He spends a lot of time wrestling around with his grandkids, too. His specific advice is to use the elliptical as much as possible--those large, repetitive movements that require some balancing really do pull everything together beautifully.

The game changer in either scenario is wholehearted, vigorous commitment to physical therapy and then continuing exercise afterward. The difference in outcome between those who really work at exercising and those who do not is pretty stark. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My uncle has had both knees done. One he stayed overnight, the other he went home same day. They get you up and moving quickly and right into PT. One healed beautifully and has given him no issues. The other knee was much worse than the first and isn't as good as the first is now, but it's still much better than it was before the surgery. 

DH had a hip replacement recently - going to PT prior to the surgery was really helpful. They gave him exercises to strengthen the area prior to surgery. 

• Thanks 1

I had one 5 months ago.

I feel 1000% better but recovery was much slower than I anticipated.

Get a stationary bike. I have ridden mine everyday (starting about 2 weeks after surgery)

it helps to have someone with you 24/7 the first two weeks.

Assess how you will get in/out of house if any steps involved (start on walker, then cane)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dh’s was not typical because he had an injury 9 years prior to the total knee replacement. He was only about 40 so they did many surgery’s including a total reconstruction of his tibia plateau before finally doing the TKR. He found it much much easier than the other knee and leg surgery he had.  In 9 years he had compensated and lost a lot of muscle in his bad leg and wore on his good knee.  
Overall they can be very good.  PT and moving are vital for good recovery.

• Thanks 1

I have been questioning doctors and friends and physical therapists on this as I am eligible whenever I am ready but my pain is manageable.

1. Ask local physical therapists who the best surgeon is for knee replacements…they see the outcomes of hundreds of patients and can see patterns

2.  Do PT before surgery to strengthen your muscles as much as possible beforehand.

3.  Follow doctors orders regarding recovery

4.   Go to PT and then DO the exercises at home daily long term.  

5. if you are not at a healthy weight, working towards that is very helpful as well

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Can I piggyback on this and ask if ankles tend to be about the same as knees or better/worse? Do the other concepts apply like strengthing/PT before, etc.?

Yes, I'll even change the thread title for your idea to be more visible.

• Like 2

• Katy changed the title to Knee Replacement? Ankle replacement?