Menu

Fun way to solidify grammar for 5th grader?

Not_a_Number

I've never formally done grammar with DD10. However, we've done parts of speech, and because we do Russian, we've definitely had to think about how grammar works in the two languages (Russian is a conjugation-based and not an order-based language, unlike English, and it has gender, so we've worked with those ideas.) 

I'm getting to the point where it'd be good to have a brief introduction to more complicated grammar to make it easier to talk about when we do Russian. DD10 is gifted and academically motivated, so I'm sure she wouldn't need much, just some good exposure. 

What would you guys recommend? 

2 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

What does she consider fun?

Mine adored the First Whole Book of Diagrams along with Montessori symbol tiles.  We used sentences from his books to diagram out. Other kids I know preferred Fix It or Gotcha! Grammar.

Ooh, good question. 

I think she finds all systems fun, basically (she's a very math/science gifted kid.) She dislikes drudgery and things she can't get motivated to do. She's really allergic to busywork. 

At this point, she prefers to do hard work independently and to ask for help occasionally, and to read things out loud in a low key way with me. 

Edited by Not_a_Number

3 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

I've never formally done grammar with DD10. However, we've done parts of speech, and because we do Russian, we've definitely had to think about how grammar works in the two languages (Russian is a conjugation-based and not an order-based language, unlike English, and it has gender, so we've worked with those ideas.) 

I'm getting to the point where it'd be good to have a brief introduction to more complicated grammar to make it easier to talk about when we do Russian. DD10 is gifted and academically motivated, so I'm sure she wouldn't need much, just some good exposure. 

What would you guys recommend? 

I did nothing but Mad Libs and Grammar Rock with my older two till 5th grade, although they were also learning two foreign languages (German and Spanish), but not in a grammar-focused way yet.

In 5th grade I did a year of Easy Grammar, then pivoted to MCT Town level (Grammar/Paragraph).  I think you could probably skip the Easy Grammar, my favorite part about that was the 'finding the prepositional phrases first' (I had them bracket them off rather than cross them out).  Then teach 4-level analysis a la MCT.  It's analytical and has no busy work.  After teaching the method, I just had them do two sentences in the Practice books twice a week, and then we went over them together.   All of this never took more than 10 minutes or so twice a week.  Even with Easy Grammar I never handed them the book to self-teach, we'd so sample sentences together.  It was fun, and they have a rock-solid concept of grammar, which yes, helped a lot as their foreign language study also became less immersion and more grammar-based around this time as well.

I love 4-level analysis - it's so satisfying, lol.  Another thing I do a bit differently is that I usually start with Level 3 (Phrases - but usually finding/getting rid of Prep Phrases, other types can come later), then Level 2 (parts of sentence, Subject/V/Objects). and only then Level 1 (Parts of Speech), as really once you know what role a word is playing in a sentence, what part of speech it is becomes obvious.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Matryoshka said:

I did nothing but Mad Libs and Grammar Rock with my older two till 5th grade, although they were also learning two foreign languages (German and Spanish), but not in a grammar-focused way yet.

In 5th grade I did a year of Easy Grammar, then pivoted to MCT Town level (Grammar/Paragraph).  I think you could probably skip the Easy Grammar, my favorite part about that was the 'finding the prepositional phrases first' (I had them bracket them off rather than cross them out).  Then teach 4-level analysis a la MCT.  It's analytical and has no busy work.  After teaching the method, I just had them do two sentences in the Practice books twice a week, and then we went over them together.   All of this never took more than 10 minutes or so twice a week.  Even with Easy Grammar I never handed them the book to self-teach, we'd so sample sentences together.  It was fun, and they have a rock-solid concept of grammar, which yes, helped a lot as their foreign language study also became less immersion and more grammar-based around this time as well.

I love 4-level analysis - it's so satisfying, lol.  Another thing I do a bit differently is that I usually start with Level 3 (Phrases - but usually finding/getting rid of Prep Phrases, other types can come later), then Level 2 (parts of sentence, Subject/V/Objects). and only then Level 1 (Parts of Speech), as really once you know what role a word is playing in a sentence, what part of speech it is becomes obvious.  

I keep eyeing MCT. 

Where would you start with a 5th grader with exposure but no formal grammar training? 

14 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I keep eyeing MCT. 

Where would you start with a 5th grader with exposure but no formal grammar training? 

Town level.  It's not too babied down, and it's way more fun than Voyage level.  I honestly wasn't as much of a fan of Voyage.  We did Grammar Town very quickly (like, a few weeks or so?) but they had gotten an intro to parts of speech generally with Easy Grammar.  But like I said, I think the best thing we got out of that was 'find the Prep Phrases first' - MCT doesn't do that, but we kept right on doing that with MCT, and it made it work even better (this is why Level 3 first).  But each level of MCT starts at the beginning, so you haven't 'missed' anything by skipping the lower levels.  Then we did Paragraph Town, which actually is where most of the Grammar instruction is at the Town level, so you should include it even if you don't do any of the writing assignments. And it's a fun story with Ducks that references Moby Dick, lol. (one Duck is Fishmeal).  It's designed for gifted kids, so it doesn't have lots of boring repetition or rote learning - it's all thinking analysis, introduces the concepts quickly, then you're right on to applying them.  One feature I loved in Paragraph Town (used to be a the back - not sure if it's still in the newer editions) was a feature called "Punctuation as a Function of Grammar" where you had to analyze the grammatical structure of an unpunctuated sentence to determine the proper punctuation and be able to defend it with why, based on that structure. 🥰

We kind of cursorily did Voyage level, but most of it was repeat, so I they mainly just did the Practice books, again 2 senetences 2x/week.  Same with Magic Lens - really, not that much is added at the upper levels.  I'd just scan for any new info, then do Practice books.  I'm also not one for drudgery or repeating things they already know.  Doing the Practice sentences is applying what they know, and fun and painless.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 1

We used CLE (Christian Light Education) through 8th grade and my sons have excellent grammar now (12th grade and college). Also, I went back to work after 20 years and got a job as a technical writer. Using CLE to teach the kids grammar in those 20 years away from work ended up being exactly what I needed for my technical writer job. CLE is solid as a rock and I use what I learned from it at my job all the time.

Actually, now that I think of it, we took our time with the 7th grade book and my son did half of it in 7th grade and finished it up in 8th grade. That’s because the 8th grade book was more grammar than anyone on this planet needs. 🙂

All that to say, that if you want to provide an excellent education in grammar, CLE will do it. They have placement tests you can download online for free. 

• Like 1

I don't know anything about grammar. What about just a book on grammar? Like Nitty Gritty Grammar or The Dragon Grammar book. I want to say Julie Bogart recommends Nitty Gritty Grammar for elementary school and Amazon keeps advertising The Dragon Grammar book to me.

Then you won't get the "work" involved like you would with an actual grammar program/curriculum, but you just have the information for discussion/exposure.

There's a book called English Grammar for Students of Russian. That wouldn't be fun on it's own, but if you thought your kid would enjoy one of the cuter grammar things, like MCT's, maybe you could read Grammar and Writing Town, then work together to make similar funny stories to illustrate the ideas in EGfSoR.

I don't know what you would consider fun, but my younger son loved MCT Island and Town.  Voyage isn't as good.  You can run through the main text quickly and then just do a sentence or two in the practice book each day.  We did these as a discussion on the couch.  I did the writing.  He was 7-8yo though, when we did this, so your daughter may not appreciate the whimsical quality given that she's older.

• Like 3

Since someone mentioned Rod and Staff, I would say that falls squarely in the "not fun" category. My daughter was charmed by every exercise being either extremely domestic or extremely biblical for a while, but then it wore off. The example sentences often sound stilted, so she complained she wasn't even learning "real English," just "weird farmer English." The grammar instruction seemed pretty solid, so I can see why it works for many, but if your child thinks it's especially fun in the long term, your child is quite different from mine.

Edited by Xahm
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, EKS said:

I don't know what you would consider fun, but my younger son loved MCT Island and Town.  Voyage isn't as good.  You can run through the main text quickly and then just do a sentence or two in the practice book each day.  We did these as a discussion on the couch.  I did the writing.  He was 7-8yo though, when we did this, so your daughter may not appreciate the whimsical quality given that she's older.

I suspect her dd is already beyond what MCT teaches.  I can't imagine working even through pretty basic Russian without that level of grammar mastery.  

@Not_a_Number From this side of the screen, most of the suggestions seem age level appropriate without necessarily being ability level appropriate.  When my language loving dd was in 5th grade, she was blazing through AG.  We did something like 5 sentences per day.  She worked through the first 2 seasons.  My memories are foggy but somewhere in 6th and 7th, her Latin grammar was getting more complex and it surpassed her English grammar studies and we dropped grammar completely.  My current 7th grader has never studied Latin and we are having to really step up her English grammar skills to help with her Russian studies.   Her English studies lag what she is learning in Russian but I am hoping to at least keep affirming her understanding with English.

21 hours ago, 8filltheheart said:

I thought MCT was too basic. It doesnt get to any level like you need for Russian. Analytical Grammar doesnt either, but deeper than MCT. 

Is there an English grammar that covers cases and declensions?  No, because we don't have them in English...  it also doesn't cover the verb conjugations and moods that you'd need for Spanish, because, again... not really a thing in English.  I mean, we do have them, but it's actually more instructive to learn them via the foreign language where they're important and useful and then echo back to their rare appearances in English.  Did you actually sit down and work through a whole level of MCT with one of your kids? What were the things it was missing? Like I said, in Town level most of the Grammar instruction is actually in the Paragraph book, for some odd reason.  I think I actually skipped or at least skimmed the Grammar Town book, which was mostly parts of speech, because my kids already knew them.

I am a huge grammar geek and am fluent in three languages (and have taught them at a high level) and at an intermediate level in a few more languages, and I have to disagree with you.  What you need to learn a foreign language is a solid understanding of how grammar works, and I do think MCT does that well (even when I don't agree with 100% of what MCT says, but nothing is perfect.  I am queen of 'take what I like and toss the rest' - I know I tossed some bits of MCT too, but it's been long enough that I don't remember exactly what).  

What I guess I really like about MCT is that it's whole to parts.  That's the way my brain works, so I think that may be why it works so well for me.  The grammar books that do the slow, incremental, rigorous, repetitive stuff just make me want to poke my eyes out.  MCT gives you the framework, and then you go about analyzing how it all goes together.  Fun instead of horrible tedium.  Grammar isn't that hard and doesn't take years of repetetive slog (*cough* R&S).  It really doesn't.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, EKS said:

I agree.  Voyage was a bit of a disappointment.  Really, I think the levels are all so repetitive that if you do one, you don't have to keep repeating.  I did Island with my younger (at 8yo?) after Town with my older two, and I think I never properly did all of Town with younger, just kept on with the Practice books at every higher levels (it's easy to teach the very few new incremental concepts added at each level).

My kids were 10 when we did Town level, though, and they were still just young enough that they were not too jaded for the duck whimsy.  

That taught them enough about how grammar works that we didn't really do anything formal after that except the higher level MCT practice books, foreign language learning, and actually also I think we worked through the Killgallon Sentence books for middle school, which had them apply things a bit differently.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, 8filltheheart said:

I went through Voyage.  It was review.

Voyage is the worst.  I don't think I'd have liked MCT if that's all I'd seen.  It was also review for my kids after Town.  

Did you just do the Grammar book?  I didn't even open Grammar Voyage.  All repeat.  And the writing exercises in Essay Voyage are not good, and the boat theme is boring.  I agree with you about MCT's sample essays having bad form (too much block quoting).  Fortunately all that is absent at the Town level.  The (optional) writing exercises are much better, and that's the level with my favoritest 'Punctuation as a Function of Grammar' exercises - which are quite challenging!  They are absent from Voyage level, for some unknown reason...

Edited by Matryoshka

Ooh, thank you so much, all, for the suggestions! 

I don't think we're too advanced for anything specific, because I'm a native Russian speaker, and we're partially approaching Russian through immersion. We've done lots of Russian grammar on the fly (we know many more words for Russian grammar concepts than for English ones!), but we're not being all that structured about it. 

We know about cases and conjugations and whatnot, because we really don't have a choice 😉 . She's quite good with verbs and we're currently tackling noun (which, in my opinion, are harder.) But I'm also finding that there are concepts I'm missing that would make explaining some things easier. 

Thinking about it, MCT would probably be good, because I need something I'll be doing with her. The point for me would be developing a common language with her.

What does the Town level cover, anyone remember? 

• Like 1

Speaking of lack of repeat - I only ever had my kids do the second half of the MCT Practice books (sentences 50-100), as the first 25 sentences have just the first level of analysis, and the second 25 just the first and second, and since I have them start with the third level and work backwards (again with me just taking the framework and doing my own riff), things only get interesting from 50-100.  

8 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Ooh, thank you so much, all, for the suggestions! 

I don't think we're too advanced for anything specific, because I'm a native Russian speaker, and we're partially approaching Russian through immersion. We've done lots of Russian grammar on the fly (we know many more words for Russian grammar concepts than for English ones!), but we're not being all that structured about it. 

We know about cases and conjugations and whatnot, because we really don't have a choice 😉 . She's quite good with verbs and we're currently tackling noun (which, in my opinion, are harder.) But I'm also finding that there are concepts I'm missing that would make explaining some things easier. 

Thinking about it, MCT would probably be good, because I need something I'll be doing with her. The point for me would be developing a common language with her.

What does the Town level cover, anyone remember? 

All 8 parts of speech, all the parts of the sentence (subject, action verb predicates, linking verb predicates, direct object, indirect object, predicate nominative, predicate adjective), and then for phrases, I think it's prepositional, appositive, and verbal phrases (participial and gerund) and how phrases act like big parts of speech and can be subjects or objects of a sentence.  And clauses, independent and dependent, and how to punctuate them: I,ccI / I;I / D,I / ID  .  

Punctuation as a function of grammar makes the kid have to figure out things like:

This sentence needs a comma here because of multiple introductory prepositional phrases, or because it starts with a dependent clause, or it needs a semicolon becuase it has two independent clauses without a coordinating conjunction, etc.

And one of my favorite parts of MCT was just what you said - it was something I did with them.  We snuggled on the couch and read and discussed.  Much of it is oral.  And while the Practice book sentences are independent, we always went over them on a white board together afterwards.  Quick, but also interactive.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

All 8 parts of speech, all the parts of the sentence (subject, action verb predicates, linking verb predicates, direct object, indirect object, predicate nominative, predicate adjective), and then for phrases, I think it's prepositional, appositive, and verbal phrases (participial and gerund) and how phrases act like big parts of speech and can be subjects or objects of a sentence.  And clauses, independent and dependent, and how to punctuate them: I,ccI / I;I / D,I / ID  .  

Punctuation as a function of grammar makes the kid have to figure out things like:

This sentence needs a comma here because of multiple introductory prepositional phrases, or because it starts with a dependent clause, or it needs a semicolon becuase it has two independent clauses without a coordinating conjunction, etc.

And one of my favorite parts of MCT was just what you said - it was something I did with them.  We snuggled on the couch and read and discussed.  Much of it is oral.  And while the Practice book sentences are independent, we always went over them on a white board together afterwards.  Quick, but also interactive.

Yeah, we need that stuff. We've done the parts of speech and that's probably all. 

Would you start in Town? 

1 hour ago, Not_a_Number said:

Yeah, we need that stuff. We've done the parts of speech and that's probably all. 

Would you start in Town? 

Yes, for a 10yo, Town is perfect.  Absolutely no reason to do Island first, and as we've said, Voyage is comparatively no fun.   

Do the Grammar book first just as a read aloud (will only take a week or so, or a few sit-downs if you want to drag it out), then go into the Paragraph book.  I think new editions came out since we did it; it used to be about 20 lessons of which you read aloud, then there were writing excercises and some other stuff at the back (that's where the G=P(f) exercises were), not sure if it's still set up that way.  Then you just do the Practice sentences for the rest of the year.  I never did get to the Poetry books.  I did do Caeser's English (the Vocab books) - they are optional, but CE2 (the Town level) is reasonably fun.  Also a sit-down-and-read-on-the-sofa book.  The vocab is used in fun sentences, stories, and oral exercises. The vocab in CE is integrated into the Practice sentences as well.  I think there are also little quizzes at the back, if you think they would be useful.  I think newer editions since we did it have 'beefed up' some of these books; as with anything I'd say do what seems fun and interesting and feel free to skip anything you or your kid find boring or unnecessary.

So... if you don't want to buy the whole package, the must-buy pieces are just the Teacher Editions for Grammar Town, Paragraph Town (like I said, this is where most of the Grammar is actually taught, can't skip), and both the TE/SE of the Practice Town books.  Optional, TE of CE2.   I say just TE for GT and PT, that was true when I bought them - you could read the TE together and not need a Student Edition at all, but they may have changed it?  You could ask people who have used the newer editions if that still works.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, EKS said:

They don’t have to be independent.  We used them to extend the conversation.

True.  It took them like 10 minutes to have a go at them themselves first, but we would always go over them together (extending the conversation).  But I had twins, so the dynamics were a bit different - with just one kid it would have worked just as well do it on a white board with us sitting together, and skip the doing it ahead.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

Would you read anything else of his to go along with Grammar Town? 

We did Paragraph Town at the same time, but never did any of the writing exercises (so, I guess I should say that we read through Paragraph Town).  I can't remember how much it goes with Grammar Town.  

We also were learning some Latin at the time we did Island and Town, and that was a great combination, so I suspect that talking about Russian grammar may have the same effect.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

Yes, for a 10yo, Town is perfect.  Absolutely no reason to do Island first, and as we've said, Voyage is comparatively no fun.   

Do the Grammar book first just as a read aloud (will only take a week or so, or a few sit-downs if you want to drag it out), then go into the Paragraph book.  I think new editions came out since we did it; it used to be about 20 lessons of which you read aloud, then there were writing excercises and some other stuff at the back (that's where the G=P(f) exercises were), not sure if it's still set up that way.  Then you just do the Practice sentences for the rest of the year.  I never did get to the Poetry books.  I did do Caeser's English (the Vocab books) - they are optional, but CE2 (the Town level) is reasonably fun.  Also a sit-down-and-read-on-the-sofa book.  The vocab is used in fun sentences, stories, and oral exercises. The vocab in CE is integrated into the Practice sentences as well.  I think there are also little quizzes at the back, if you think they would be useful.  I think newer editions since we did it have 'beefed up' some of these books; as with anything I'd say do what seems fun and interesting and feel free to skip anything you or your kid find boring or unnecessary.

So... if you don't want to buy the whole package, the must-buy pieces are just the Teacher Editions for Grammar Town, Paragraph Town (like I said, this is where most of the Grammar is actually taught, can't skip), and both the TE/SE of the Practice Town books.  Optional, TE of CE2.   I say just TE for GT and PT, that was true when I bought them - you could read the TE together and not need a Student Edition at all, but they may have changed it?  You could ask people who have used the newer editions if that still works.

Thank you! I'll be doing some ordering tonight 😄

• Like 1

I really enjoyed "Grammar-Land: Grammar in Fun for the Children of Schoolroom-shire" , and my kids were willing to read it spontaneously. However, it is mainly focused on parts of speech, so might not really go deep enough into what you need. You can check it out on archive.org: https://archive.org/details/grammarlandorgra00nesb/page/n7/mode/2up

If you like it, there are lots of physical copies available for cheap. Try to get one with the illustrations; I didn't, and regret the lack.

This lady has turned the chapter questions into worksheets, and made them available for free: http://dontneednoeducation.blogspot.com/2010/01/grammar-land-worksheets.html

On 2/26/2023 at 6:35 PM, Xahm said:

Since someone mentioned Rod and Staff, I would say that falls squarely in the "not fun" category. My daughter was charmed by every exercise being either extremely domestic or extremely biblical for a while, but then it wore off. The example sentences often sound stilted, so she complained she wasn't even learning "real English," just "weird farmer English." The grammar instruction seemed pretty solid, so I can see why it works for many, but if your child thinks it's especially fun in the long term, your child is quite different from mine.

Cracking up at "weird farmer english." I wouldn't go so far as to call R&S fun, but it certainly gets the job done thoroughly. I actually like it a lot, though, because some of the examples are directly from the Bible and will randomly pique my 6th grader's interest just enough to want to read the whole story. 

1 hour ago, Lovinglife123 said:

See I really do think R&S is fun.  I guess I’m weird.  I love when they need help (which is rarely). 

Same here. My Oldest doesn't truly LOVE anything schoolwise except history and science. He tolerates the rest, but would much rather be outside. As for English, he prefers R&S over CLE hands down and doesn't want to switch to anything else so I'll take that as, "He likes it!" 

18 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Got the MCT books! We started reading Grammar Town. DD6 so far says it's boring (she's not easy to please!), but DD10 is very enthusiastic about it. I told her it'd be useful for her Russian, so it's made her excited about learning grammar :-). 

I'm so glad your 10yo likes it!

Your 6yo is probably too young for it.  She might prefer the Island level in a year or so.

3 hours ago, EKS said:

I'm so glad your 10yo likes it!

Your 6yo is probably too young for it.  She might prefer the Island level in a year or so.

I agree with this.  Island is better for the younger one (and probably wait a year so it's her thing and not something you do after the older one).

• 3 weeks later...

That’s cool she likes it.  I looked at the samples and was unimpressed.  Is it better than the sample?  It looked like grammar trying to be fun.  I was bored reading it?  I looked at grammar town student book.  Looks like a concise handbook of grammar?

Edited by Lovinglife123