Menu

Best Accredited Online High School for the Price

I am looking for your ideas here. Even though I can gradute my DD, the schools are saying they only accept accredited high school transcripts or the GED. She is going to be 9th/15yo in the fall so I don't want to give up on her actually completing high school just yet. Online, self-paced is her prefered mode of learning. She likes live teachers and interactiveness/animations, but if we have to do read it from the screen, then so be it. Online labs would be huge. We aren't cutting stuff open or flaming chemicals. (I still have a 6 year old to keep safe.) Secular would be most prefered. Not astronomically expensive and a payment plan option is a must! She is currently enjoying TT Math and some BJU vids, to give you an idea of what she likes. (I would prefer not to use BJU's AHE as their math is not a fit for her at all.)

I have read Cathy Duffy's secular list, and found many options I am not familiar with. I did a review search for Keystone School and k12 (the only 2 I recognized) that turned up "wish I could give zero" to 1 star reviews. Guess those are out. One intriguing one was where she would do lessons then submit for review, then revise until she passed? I can't find which one that was now.

I realize this is not the common path for most of you. I feel bad enough so please be gentle.

Edited by Green Bean

I think you may want to contact the colleges your student is interested in. You may be misunderstanding their requirements. 

UT Austin for example asks for an official transcript signed by the person responsible for the homeschooling. They don't require the student to use accredited classes. 

https://admissions.utexas.edu/apply/freshman-admission#fndtn-t25-home-schooled-ged-students

• Like 6

UT Arlington 

UTA welcomes homeschool students and homeschool programs. Students should apply as a first-time freshman student, including submitting an admissions application and official homeschool program transcripts. Homeschool students may submit official SAT or ACT scores. UTA is test score optional through summer 2024. In addition, homeschool students must take the Texas Success Initiative (TSI) assessment before registering for classes

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sebastian (a lady) said:

I think you may want to contact the colleges your student is interested in. You may be misunderstanding their requirements. 

UT Austin for example asks for an official transcript signed by the person responsible for the homeschooling. They don't require the student to use accredited classes. 

https://admissions.utexas.edu/apply/freshman-admission#fndtn-t25-home-schooled-ged-students

This. And/or talk to homeschoolers in your area who have been through the college admissions process already. I don't know anything about Texas specifically, but it's very rare for colleges to require an accredited transcript of homeschoolers. My kids have a combined 20+ college applications under their belts, and we've never encountered that. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, kokotg said:

This. And/or talk to homeschoolers in your area who have been through the college admissions process already. I don't know anything about Texas specifically, but it's very rare for colleges to require an accredited transcript of homeschoolers. My kids have a combined 20+ college applications under their belts, and we've never encountered that. 

I've encountered a couple over the years. But I feel comfortable saying that if this were the case in Texas it would have been challenged over the years. 

• Like 3

In Texas, if I wanted accredited online I'd go with TTU K-12. It will give a diploma which is very recognized in state and jumps all the hoops. You can do a mix of classes and credit by exam for things you'd prefer to study in other ways. There is a lottery based charter program that is tuition free if you don't mind a few extra hoops in exchange for spending less money. 

https://www.depts.ttu.edu/k12/

Edited by Dmmetler
  • Like 2

I'm in a state where many colleges are picky about accredited transcripts, it's possible but harder to get in without one and much harder to get scholarships. 

I wanted to keep all doors open but still have flexibility to homeschool how I wanted so we opted to enroll in North Atlantic Regional High School. You keep records of what you do at home (and in any online or in-person classes) and send in a portfolio for review at the end of each year (I've done digital portfolios, just upload everything to a Google drive and share it). NARHS issues an accredited transcript. It's been pretty easy and straightforward so far, my oldest graduated last year and every college she applied to accepted her NARHS transcript as a regular accredited transcript.

NARHS.com

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Green Bean said:

I'm checking all this out.

To be eligible for the free TTU charter, the child has to have been enrolled in a TX public school the preceding year. Same for any charters here. I guess too many homeschoolers clogged them when they first opened then dropped out. Who knows?

There is also the option of using TTU as a fee-paying student. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Green Bean said:

Texas: even our local CC says it big and bold. No idea what is going on there because the law is pretty clear. I'm just gonna go with it so she doesn't have any issues down the road. Moo!

Why don't you call/email and ask their policy on homeschoolers?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sebastian (a lady) said:

There is also the option of using TTU as a fee-paying student. 

Which is what most people do. TTU has been around for distance learning since before online existed-I graded math papers for them for extra money as a TTU grad student back when having email and usenet was considered cool. 

It's a solid program that will be readily accepted, and since it's asynchronous, sounds like it would fit your requirements. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chiguirre said:

This just strikes me as extremely strange. Could you link to the CC's homeschool policy page? Each TX CC varies, but many including mine (Lone Star College) offer free tuition to homeschoolers to dual enroll. I know that other Houston area CC districts do the same.

LoneStar it is. It wasn't free for my first kid to dual enroll, though. Maybe I should have asked. I'm not looking for dual enrolling yet, but it is on the table for next year when she is 16.

Maybe I just read it wrong.

I called and spoke to the LoneStar Dual Credit office. DS 17 is going to go Monday and register as DC student. Yea! Turns out the hoops are for high school grads. I'm such an idiot. DH and I agree DD is not ready for that yet. I think we will just keep on our own path for now.

Thanks to everyone for your patience and advice.

Edited by Green Bean
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, Green Bean said:

I called and spoke to the LoneStar Dual Credit office. Kids are going to go Monday and register as DC students. Yea! Turns out the hoops are for high school grads. I'm such an idiot.

Thanks to everyone for your patience and advice.

That's great! LSC is easy to work with as a DE parent. You and your student meet with a counselor to register for every semester and they'll give you the tuition waiver. You only pay fees (which are not negligible, the first semester is something like $300 but that's good for a whole year) to the college. You also have to buy textbooks. For this, Amazon rental is usually the best deal unless you'll need the book for more than one semester in which case you should buy. The college bookstore is almost never the cheapest option but they run sales on swag sometimes if you want a LSC t-shirt and ball cap for your student.

Take a look at the Core requirements for an AA or AS. There are 42 credits that transfer as a block. It is a VERY good idea to try to be Core Complete if possible. If that's not going to be possible, try to stick with classes that will fulfill a requirement at your student's preferred TX 4 year. UT Austin in particular has an unusual distribution of their core classes. 

Summer classes are also tuition free and my dd started with ENG 101 during a summer session. It was a good introduction to college. Read the Rate My Professor comments to find someone who is quick to answer questions and not a quirky grader. A lot of people will complain but then admit they didn't turn in assignments on time. Discount those reviews. 

If your student qualifies, the Honors College is well worth joining. The honors classes dd took were excellent and she learned a lot by doing the guided research projects. They will prepare a student for attending a selective university better than any other high school experience IMHO.

That's all the BTDT advice I can think of off the top of my head. Feel free me to PM me if you have any questions. My dd loved her time at LSC. I hope your student does too!

• Thanks 2

Some of these courses look pretty fun! https://www.lonestar.edu/catalog/#/courses/SJB1xalzD https://www.lonestar.edu/catalog/#/courses/SkgE1xpezP

47 minutes ago, chiguirre said:

You and your student meet with a counselor to register for every semester and they'll give you the tuition waiver. You only pay fees (which are not negligible, the first semester is something like $300 but that's good for a whole year) to the college.

What's the tuition waiver for? I don't see anything about that on the lonestar.edu webpage

41 minutes ago, Malam said:

Some of these courses look pretty fun! https://www.lonestar.edu/catalog/#/courses/SJB1xalzD https://www.lonestar.edu/catalog/#/courses/SkgE1xpezP

What's the tuition waiver for? I don't see anything about that on the lonestar.edu webpage

If you're a DE student, you don't pay tuition. It's on the bill at first but the counselor overrides it in the system when they sign off on the classes you register for. It might not be on the public facing pages but when you meet with a DE counselor they explain the process.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, chiguirre said:

If you're a DE student, you don't pay tuition. It's on the bill at first but the counselor overrides it in the system when they sign off on the classes you register for. It might not be on the public facing pages but when you meet with a DE counselor they explain the process.

Is that true everywhere in Texas? Seems like a mistake to not mention it, unless of course the college is eating the cost.

8 minutes ago, Malam said:

Is that true everywhere in Texas? Seems like a mistake to not mention it, unless of course the college is eating the cost.

No, it depends on the CC district's policy. The CC does eat the cost.

Most DE students come from Early College high schools and they take care of all the registration and payment (it's completely free to public school students in my district). The few homeschoolers who DE are a very niche market. There were maybe a couple dozen homeschoolers dual enrolled in our LSC campus versus a couple hundred early college students from 3 districts. 

If you have access to a local homeschool board, there's usually someone on there that knows the ins and outs of your particular location's college.

Once you get an appointment with a counselor, they're your point person and IME they're very helpful.

Edited by chiguirre
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, chiguirre said:

That's great! LSC is easy to work with as a DE parent. You and your student meet with a counselor to register for every semester and they'll give you the tuition waiver. You only pay fees (which are not negligible, the first semester is something like $300 but that's good for a whole year) to the college. You also have to buy textbooks. For this, Amazon rental is usually the best deal unless you'll need the book for more than one semester in which case you should buy. The college bookstore is almost never the cheapest option but they run sales on swag sometimes if you want a LSC t-shirt and ball cap for your student.

Take a look at the Core requirements for an AA or AS. There are 42 credits that transfer as a block. It is a VERY good idea to try to be Core Complete if possible. If that's not going to be possible, try to stick with classes that will fulfill a requirement at your student's preferred TX 4 year. UT Austin in particular has an unusual distribution of their core classes. 

Summer classes are also tuition free and my dd started with ENG 101 during a summer session. It was a good introduction to college. Read the Rate My Professor comments to find someone who is quick to answer questions and not a quirky grader. A lot of people will complain but then admit they didn't turn in assignments on time. Discount those reviews. 

If your student qualifies, the Honors College is well worth joining. The honors classes dd took were excellent and she learned a lot by doing the guided research projects. They will prepare a student for attending a selective university better than any other high school experience IMHO.

That's all the BTDT advice I can think of off the top of my head. Feel free me to PM me if you have any questions. My dd loved her time at LSC. I hope your student does too!

Thank you! Yep, lots of Amazon rentals is the way to go. DS24 did LSC: Tomball and got his AA. Except for one class, he had great professors. I'm kinda sad not to use them again. LSC: Kingwood is close to us now, though.

Edited by Green Bean

We found a lot of colleges say that, but at application time, none actually required an “accredited” program. I sent an official transcript marked “Official Transcript” across the top, and in the header I had the name of our homeschool, followed by “Registered under statute xxxxx of the Delaware Code” (xxxxx = the number of the statute establishing homeschooling as legal).

To be more confident, contact the admissions offices of the schools you think your daughter will be looking at. My kids applied to a variety of public and private schools across several states and encountered no difficulty, and we save a bundle and improved our flexibility of courses by not signing onto an “accredited program.”

That said, TWMA is secular and accredited and NCAA compliant. TWMA has stated it is pedagogically opposed to offering AP courses, though it offers some “Advanced” courses that claim to prepare students for AP exams (only courses that have completed a college board audit process can officially be listed as AP courses on the transcript, but anybody can take an AP exam). WTMA will issue official transcripts.

PA Homeschoolers/AP Homeschoolers online is NCAA compliant and most courses are secular (see individual course descriptions); PAHS also offers summer and honors courses. All designated AP courses have been approved by the College Board to be listed as such on the transcript. PAHS will issue official transcripts, including the AP designation.

• Like 1