Menu

Spanish Classes?

2 hours ago, freesia said:

Have you looked at the Ulat?  It’s not an online class but is online lessons. It’s working really well here. I also liked Homeschool  Spanish Academy, but Ulat is tons cheaper. 

ULAT is great.  I also really like Paul Noble, starting with the “for kids” version and then graduating to the regular course.  I would pick one (ULAT, Paul Noble) and add lots of immersion (dubbed cartoons on Netflix, eventually easy readers) and call it good.  My kids have absorbed a huge amount of French with this approach. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My DD is doing Spanish I at CLRC. She likes the teacher and is learning a lot. This is her first time doing an online class, so I'm not sure if she loves that aspect of it, but I think that would be the same anywhere she took a class. ☺️ 

ETA: CLRC also has conversational classes to add on to the regular classes, but I can't speak to those because DD hasn't taken them (yet). Just wanted to let you know that they were an option. 

Edited by Vintage81
  • Thanks 1

If you want to maximize Spanish learning with a very solid online class, I haven't seen a class that approaches Ray Leven's Spanish Learning Online series. He devotes a majority of class time to having the students speak, which I haven't found elsewhere and which I think is very valuable for progressing in a foreign language. He uses a standard high school text series and makes use of the online portion from the publisher. He also periodically assigns long oral homework exercises to pairs of students. This was a class where I felt no need to supplement at all, and in fact had to help prioritize the online assignments in later years so that they weren't overloaded.

He is very no-nonsense, and can be harsh at times. He was a great fit for one of my dc who enjoys languages and picks them up pretty well, and so-so for another dc whose brain just doesn't do language so well.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, freesia said:

Have you looked at the Ulat?  It’s not an online class but is online lessons. It’s working really well here. I also liked Homeschool  Spanish Academy, but Ulat is tons cheaper. 

20 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

If you want to maximize Spanish learning with a very solid online class, I haven't seen a class that approaches Ray Leven's Spanish Learning Online series. He devotes a majority of class time to having the students speak, which I haven't found elsewhere and which I think is very valuable for progressing in a foreign language. He uses a standard high school text series and makes use of the online portion from the publisher. He also periodically assigns long oral homework exercises to pairs of students. This was a class where I felt no need to supplement at all, and in fact had to help prioritize the online assignments in later years so that they weren't overloaded.

He is very no-nonsense, and can be harsh at times. He was a great fit for one of my dc who enjoys languages and picks them up pretty well, and so-so for another dc whose brain just doesn't do language so well.

I looked at Ray Leven for my younger DD since she was really humanities strong and loved languages (learned Spanish and French). It would have been a great fit for her but he was full at the time and I was going to have to pay for individual tutoring and didn't want to shell out that much money. So we went with Homeschool Spanish Academy. So here are my questions....

I think Ray Leven is probably the best of the best to be honest, but I don't know about putting that much time and money into a course for a non humanities major? He uses a curriculum that includes the book and online access and it appears to add another $300 or more if I am reading it right? On top of the class already being a pretty good chunk of my homeschool budget. 

@freesia Have you ever used Homeschool Spanish Academy for a new learner? DD was already pretty proficient in Spanish when she started with them. Her experience was good, in fact she became really good friends with her tutor and they ended up connecting on social media and would skype and talk just for fun. But DS has no Spanish under his belt and I have no idea how it works for a completely new learner?

Edited by Ann.without.an.e
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ann.without.an.e said:

I looked at Ray Leven for my younger DD since she was really humanities strong and loved languages (learned Spanish and French). It would have been a great fit for her but he was full at the time and I was going to have to pay for individual tutoring and didn't want to shell out that much money. So we went with Homeschool Spanish Academy. So here are my questions....

I think Ray Leven is probably the best of the best to be honest, but I don't know about putting that much time and money into a course for a non humanities major? He uses a curriculum that includes the book and online access and it appears to add another $300 or more if I am reading it right? On top of the class already being a pretty good chunk of my homeschool budget. 

@freesia Have you ever used Homeschool Spanish Academy for a new learner? DD was already pretty proficient in Spanish when she started with them. Her experience was good, in fact she became really good friends with her tutor and they ended up connecting on social media and would skype and talk just for fun. But DS has no Spanish under his belt and I have no idea how it works for a completely new learner?

The ds that did it was not completely new, but had done an unenthusiastic year with me. He was tested and placed within their program—somewhere in the first year. They start very basic—with basic words. I feel like he learned a lot in spite of himself lol. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, historically accurate said:

That is what my high schooler is using for Spanish I. She just started the Conversational Spanish group, but she doesn't enjoy that as much as Spanish. 

Just curious...does she not like the teacher as much, or is it just the material covered? We contemplated adding this, but DD already had a lot on her plate, so we decided against it for now but maybe later.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Vintage81 said:

Just curious...does she not like the teacher as much, or is it just the material covered? We contemplated adding this, but DD already had a lot on her plate, so we decided against it for now but maybe later.

She doesn't like the teacher as much - she says much of it seems a little below her level and the teacher doesn't seem to care.

• Like 2

I have one who didn’t fit with Ray Leven’s teaching style, but switched to HSA and did phenomenally with that. I don’t think you can get more speaking practice than the one on one model they use. I’ve used it with a beginner as well, who also did well. I like it a lot. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

HSA was total flop for us, but we seem to be the only ones that didn't love them. If you give them your email they will pursue you a bit with a free trial lesson and perhaps a discounted bundle price.

For DD she had a flop lesson or two in the beginning and she simply chose the tutors she liked from that point on. Once she could schedule ahead, she basically always had one of two tutors and that was it. I'm just concerned about how it will work with someone who knows no Spanish at all. DD already knew a lot. 

On 2/16/2023 at 8:26 AM, Vintage81 said:

My DD is doing Spanish I at CLRC. She likes the teacher and is learning a lot. This is her first time doing an online class, so I'm not sure if she loves that aspect of it, but I think that would be the same anywhere she took a class. ☺️ 

ETA: CLRC also has conversational classes to add on to the regular classes, but I can't speak to those because DD hasn't taken them (yet). Just wanted to let you know that they were an option. 

On 2/16/2023 at 8:26 AM, Vintage81 said:

On 2/16/2023 at 9:45 AM, blue plaid said:

I will also recommend CLRC.  My son is in Spanish 1 this year and the teacher is great and super nice, and he is learning a lot.

CLRC seems like it may fit our schedule nicely if the schedule stays the same next year. It doesn't seem their 2023-2024 registration is open yet, am I correct in that?

I have a question about it though - I've been watching a few sample lessons from different providers. I don't think I'm crazy about chat box type classes? I think Potter's School is this way and that may be the sample video I'm thinking of? It seems like the teacher is talking away and the kids are just all over the place in the chat box? It feels like you are sitting in a classroom where someone is talking and everyone else is just talking about all sorts of random things at the same time and no one is actually listening? Am I wrong? Maybe I'm just too ADHD for that 🤣

I can't seem to find online samples of a CLRC class. How is their classroom set up? Is it chat box style or zoom style?

Edited by Ann.without.an.e

3 minutes ago, Ann.without.an.e said:

CLRC seems like it may fit our schedule nicely if the schedule stays the same next year. It doesn't seem their 2023-2024 registration is open yet, am I correct in that?

I have a question about it though - I've been watching a few sample lessons from different providers. I don't think I'm crazy about chat box type classes? I think Potter's School is this way and that may be the sample video I'm thinking of? It seems like the teacher is talking away and the kids are just all over the place in the chat box? It feels like you are sitting in a classroom where someone is talking and everyone else is just talking about all sorts of random things at the same time and not one is actually listening? Am I wrong? Maybe I'm just too ADHD for that 🤣

I can't seem to find online samples of a CLRC class. How is their classroom set up? Is it chat box style or zoom style?

I asked DD…

It is a Zoom class and it has a chat, but DD said the kids don’t abuse the chat. The teacher is also monitoring the chat during the class. 

She said the teacher is very organized with how she runs her class. She always brings stuff to share on her screen, etc. She always asks and answers questions throughout the class, so it’s interactive. 

She’s also very responsive to any questions sent via email and grades are given in an extremely timely manner. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Vintage81 said:

I asked DD…

It is a Zoom class and it has a chat, but DD said the kids don’t abuse the chat. The teacher is also monitoring the chat during the class. 

She said the teacher is very organized with how she runs her class. She always brings stuff to share on her screen, etc. She always asks and answers questions throughout the class, so it’s interactive. 

She’s also very responsive to any questions sent via email and grades are given in an extremely timely manner. 

This is good to know. The ones I watched were just a slide to view, a teacher talking, and the only interaction kids had were in chat? Maybe because it is faceless? Idk but I didn't care for it. Kids were typing away random stuff, sort of like you'd expect from preschoolers honestly. It felt rude to me? and this was a sample video? I was so confused. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ann.without.an.e said:

This is good to know. The ones I watched were just a slide to view, a teacher talking, and the only interaction kids had were in chat? Maybe because it is faceless? Idk but I didn't care for it. Kids were typing away random stuff, sort of like you'd expect from preschoolers honestly. It felt rude to me? and this was a sample video? I was so confused. 

Was this a sample video for CLRC? That does sound strange. 

This is our first year with them and we’ve been really happy with the Spanish class. The teacher seems really on top of things. DD has learned a lot and is excited about foreign language…she wants to take both Spanish and French next year! 

DD is also taking Drawing at CLRC…the teacher in that class is not quite as organized. DD mentioned that during class the chat can meander at times, but nothing too bad. I think each class is really dependent on how the teacher runs it. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Vintage81 said:

Was this a sample video for CLRC? That does sound strange. 

This is our first year with them and we’ve been really happy with the Spanish class. The teacher seems really on top of things. DD has learned a lot and is excited about foreign language…she wants to take both Spanish and French next year! 

DD is also taking Drawing at CLRC…the teacher in that class is not quite as organized. DD mentioned that during class the chat can meander at times, but nothing too bad. I think each class is really dependent on how the teacher runs it. 

No, this was somewhere else. I can't find sample videos for CLRC, that is why I wanted to ask y'all. It sounds like the Spanish class at CLRC isn't like some of the sample videos I've seen. 

Thanks 

• Like 1

From the info on their website, it sounds like you could email CLRC and ask to see a video of a sample Spanish class.  

I sat in on part of the first class in the fall and at that time the teacher used the chat in part for participation, so that for example when she explained something, she might say something to the effect of, do you understand or does anyone have questions, and kids would respond to this kind of question in the chat.  My son hasn’t mentioned it going off the rails at all— that type of thing would probably really annoy him.

• Thanks 1

Please, please look at Mrs. Mac's Spanish classes! https://myfunscience.com/courses/spanish-1/

She uses the Total Physical Response System for teaching a second language - it gets the kids speaking, translating, and working with more complex language more quickly while she instructs in grammar and such as they develop up through the years. The 90-minute classes are engaging as she does a ton of different activities during each class period. 

Note: she does assign a lot of homework so decide if you are okay with that. We like it because she wants the kid working with the language 30-45 minutes per day on their own plus the 90-minute weekly class.

My oldest daughter is going to the public high school next year and about the only thing she's thinking she'll miss from homeschooling is Mrs. mac's way of teaching Spanish. (For a kid who is ready to burn the ship, that's saying a lot!)