Menu

mom had her lung transplant today!

ktgrok

I got to face time with her for a minute today! She had her endoscopy and swallow test and can now have pudding texture and soft food. Still no thin liquids, as she aspirated when they tried milk. But she got to eat for the first time since Saturday! She was emotional and thanked me for the quilt I sent her, saying I'm so good to her ,etc. I told her she's the one that taught me that! 

I have a feeling she will go to the step down unit soon. 

• Like 11

13 hours ago, Starr said:

The whole thing is amazing, a transplant, she’s up with help, can communicate. 

Did you know the first successful lung transplant wasn't until the 1980s?? Like, mid 80s it was still experimental, in 1987 they did 45 in the whole world that year. I had no idea it was an "in my lifetime" thing, and now I'm even more amazed and grateful. 

Y'all, make sure your family members know you want to be a donor. Please. My ex got several years longer with our son from a kidney transplant, and would have lived longer if he'd gotten a second transplant in time. His sister, my son's aunt, is alive due to a heart transplant. And now my mom will love due to a lung transplant. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, ktgrok said:

I got to face time with her for a minute today! She had her endoscopy and swallow test and can now have pudding texture and soft food. Still no thin liquids, as she aspirated when they tried milk. But she got to eat for the first time since Saturday! She was emotional and thanked me for the quilt I sent her, saying I'm so good to her ,etc. I told her she's the one that taught me that! 

I have a feeling she will go to the step down unit soon. 

That is wonderful news!!

Update - she's a week post op now, and in the step down unit. Down to one chest tube, started with 5. Has about 30 staples, down the center of her chest. She's had some issues with low blood pressure, that they expected, and fluid retention, that they expected. Pain management has been an issue - too many meds and she is nauseous  but then the nausea meds make her too sleepy to get up and do therapy, but if they back off the pan meds she couldn't function, so they have been working out the right combination. Today she feels she turned a corner, and sent me a photo of her smiling and giving a thumbs up. 

• Like 17

27 minutes ago, Kassia said:

Love this!  She is one tough cookie! 

She is!

Funny too - she had my dad take a photo of her chest with the gown open - pulled to the sides so it just covers the parts that can't be shown on TV. Labeled it "Sexy Grandma", lol. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

She is!

Funny too - she had my dad take a photo of her chest with the gown open - pulled to the sides so it just covers the parts that can't be shown on TV. Labeled it "Sexy Grandma", lol. 

Wow, what a great attitude!  🙂  So glad she's doing okay.

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

She is!

So glad she is improving and keeping up a good sense of humor. I hope she is home in no time!!