Menu

If you have bought a half a cow lately

Scarlett

6 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

How much did you pay?

Our freezer is full now….hoping it reduces our grocery bill but it never seems to. 

I paid $3.50 a pound plus processing.  Mine is 100% grassfed which are more expensive than grass fed/grain finished.  I don't buy it to save money because it is always more costly than buying meat at the grocery store.  I buy it for better taste and quality.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BusyMom5 said:

$912 for a half, its currently hanging, so not sure how much meat it will make.   

Last year a half was only $875 ish…I asked if this cow was that much bigger or if prices have gone up…..she said some of both.  It is from friends of ours.  I do love knowing where it came from and how it was treated 

We got our grass-fed grass finished cow 2022 in CA for $1700 for carcass weight about 750lbs (half steer). We are in CA so it's expensive. It definitely went up from the prior year. We usually make the order April-ish.

I didn't think I would notice the difference in taste but I do. Originally just doing it so I know where my food comes from.

Thanks everyone. We just get told the hanging weight price…..they don’t break it down into price per pound plus processing. Interesting.  

7 hours ago, saraha said:

Up til this year we charged $3 plus processing. Dh’s brother is trying to convince fil to raise prices as that has been the price for like 5 years. 

I would definitely  think your prices should have gone up since Covid.

26 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Thanks everyone. We just get told the hanging weight price…..they don’t break it down into price per pound plus processing. Interesting.  

I would definitely  think your prices should have gone up since Covid.

We agree, but you know how it is. He has never bought beef at the store and doesn’t do the books so 🤷🏼‍♀️🤦‍♀️

Not who you quoted but they have never asked us if we wanted eyes, brains, or anything other than liver, heart, and tongue. But now that I think about it, didn’t you post a video a while back where the were boiling some lungs? Were they cow lungs?

5 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Do you ever for "green tripe" for the dogs?

Bill

4 hours ago, Spy Car said:

If you buy a cow, or half cow, what happens to "the odd bits"?

Asking for my furry friends.

Bill

My source never ask. I just ask for the parts I want. Usually I ask for ox-tail, tongue, liver, and flap meat. the butcher does keep a record of what I asked for last time. If you get half a steer and the other party also wants some then you might have to come to an agreement, but I've always gotten what I wanted. 

10 minutes ago, saraha said:

Not who you quoted but they have never asked us if we wanted eyes, brains, or anything other than liver, heart, and tongue. But now that I think about it, didn’t you post a video a while back where the were boiling some lungs? Were they cow lungs?

I was involved discussing "lung." I scored some beef lung (once) from a specialty butcher.

My Chester (dog) will eat anything. He "ate" the lung, but I could tell it wasn't a favorite.

The other "offal" is gold.

Bill

7 minutes ago, Clarita said:

My source never ask. I just ask for the parts I want. Usually I ask for ox-tail, tongue, liver, and flap meat. the butcher does keep a record of what I asked for last time. If you get half a steer and the other party also wants some then you might have to come to an agreement, but I've always gotten what I wanted. 

I'd like stuff like the unprocessed "green tripe," and cartilage, tendon, ears (fur on), pizzle, spleen, thymus glands & pancreas, brains, maybe the entire head? (cheek meat is delicious), and other odd bits most people might not desire.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

8 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

I'd like stuff like the unprocessed "green tripe," and cartilage, tendon, ears (fur on), pizzle, spleen, thymus glands & pancreas, brains, maybe the entire head? (cheek meat is delicious), and other odd bits most people might not desire.

Bill

That's fine you just have to ask for it. My process goes the rancher sells me the steer. The butcher will call me to know how I want everything prepared (and what parts I want). For the "extras" the butcher will give it to you if those parts are given to them, so if you really want to make sure you get it you may have to talk to the rancher. There is a 3rd person involved in the process (I believe) and that's the person that actually dispatches the steer (I've never talked to that person). Maybe the rancher could ask for those pieces for you to be sent to the butcher. 

18 minutes ago, Clarita said:

Added: Then again you talk to the butcher about how you want those processed/packaged. I don't know what you would do with a whole steer skull so you could have the head cut into smaller pieces or just have the meat/parts off the head that you want.

You wrap the head (foil or banana leaf) then let it roast slowly in a deep fire pit.

Real barbacoa is the best!

When my son was a middle schooler he was a regular at the hockey clinic at a skate center affiliated with the LA Kings (in Panorama City). Next door to the center was an out-of-control Mexican place called Rincon Taurino that was a vegetarian's worst nightmare. All about the meat. And horns hanging everywhere.

They always had a big fresh roasted bull/steer head on the counter and the aficionados knew that was what you wanted for tacos or plates.

Bill

33 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

No I don’t.  But it is available if I wanted it.

The only thing my Chester (dog) will eat before liver, is green tripe.

Smells bad. Like cow pies. But most dogs go crazy for green tripe.

And the mineral balance of calcium and phosphorus is nearly ideal for canines.

I used to get green tripe cheap, as it was a "throw away item. But it has been "hyped" (overhyped?) as a canine superfood and the prices have gotten more dear.

Bill

20 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

You wrap the head (foil or banana leaf) then let it roast slowly in a deep fire pit.

Real barbacoa is the best!

When my son was a middle schooler he was a regular at the hockey clinic at a skate center affiliated with the LA Kings (in Panorama City). Next door to the center was an out-of-control Mexican place called Rincon Taurino that was a vegetarian's worst nightmare. All about the meat. And horns hanging everywhere.

They always had a big fresh roasted bull/steer head on the counter and the aficionados knew that was what you wanted for tacos or plates.

Bill

I wouldn't have a space to store it before using it, but you could ask for the pieces however you'd like. My butcher drives my meat close to where I live (he has family in the area), but most arrangements has you driving to the butcher's to pick up your meat so I don't see why they would care what you want.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spy Car said:

The only thing my Chester (dog) will eat before liver, is green tripe.

Smells bad. Like cow pies. But most dogs go crazy for green tripe.

And the mineral balance of calcium and phosphorus is nearly ideal for canines.

I used to get green tripe cheap, as it was a "throw away item. But it has been "hyped" (overhyped?) as a canine superfood and the prices have gotten more dear.

Bill

It is good for most animals.  It does not agree with our one dog so I don’t get it.  

What happened in price is similar to what happened with flank steak.  It used to be cheap and now thanks to some fancy chef acting like it was a one great thing, the price doubled.