Menu

Help me find a Tolkien Expert

Lawyer&Mom

Dd9 needs to interview an expert for her third grade research project.  She has chosen JRR Tolkien as her subject, and drafted 10 straightforward written questions.  Now we just need to find an expert.  I was hoping we could use the professor at a local college that teaches a course on Tolkien, but so far that isn’t panning out.  Help me Hive!  Where are our Tolkien experts?  A professor would be amazing.  A mere grad student would be great.  Your dad who knows everything about everything Tolkien ever wrote would probably work!  (My own dad would qualify, except they aren’t supposed to interview relatives…) This is just third grade, the term “expert” can be interpreted *broadly.*  I thank you all for your ideas, she and I are both Autistic and reaching out to people is just *so* stressful.  

I qualify as "someone who has read everything Tolkien ever wrote" plus multiple biographies and who has Lord of the Rings at least halfway memorized, so if you don't find someone more official let me know; I'm sure I could answer third grade questions. 

• Like 11

4 hours ago, happi duck said:

Tolkien is one of the authors showcased here: https://www.wheaton.edu/academics/academic-centers/wadecenter/

Maybe they'd have someone willing to help!

Yes, I was going to mention this too. I actually had an interview with the founder back in the 70s when I was in high school. He helped me with a CS Lewis paper!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Junie said:

You could also maybe open up your options if you considered high school English teachers to be experts.  For this assignment, it is possible that someone who teaches British Lit on the high school level would be considered expert enough.

I would 100% be okay with High School teachers!  That’s a great idea. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Lawyer&Mom said:

Okay, the link to The Tolkien Professor led me to Signum University.  They have a lot of instructors who teach their MA in Tolkien Studies.  Just sent them an email, fingers crossed!

https://signumuniversity.org

Do you mind posting who you eventually find, even without names, because I might die of curiosity if you don't. LOL

• Haha 3

On 1/31/2023 at 1:31 PM, maize said:

I qualify as "someone who has read everything Tolkien ever wrote" plus multiple biographies and who has Lord of the Rings at least halfway memorized, so if you don't find someone more official let me know; I'm sure I could answer third grade questions. 

I tried to message you but you can’t receive messages.  We may need your services after all!

1 hour ago, Lawyer&Mom said:

Huge shout out to Maize for her thoughtful and insightful answers to Dd’s questions!  I *love* the Hive!

I’ll let you guys know if anyone else gets back to us, but we are thrilled to have Maize’s response!

They were great questions and I enjoyed answering them.

• Like 2