Menu

Positive themed poundy music?

Dmmetler

I have a teen student who needs non-trauma revisiting stuff, but, like a lot of teens, gravitates to poundy songs with a heavy beat. I've found a few appropriate piano pieces to work on, and would like to find some songs that might appeal that we can use as playalongs for rhythm work. Any suggestions?

I don't have my own list but here is one from here online:

A note about these hip hop songs:

• Definitely listen to the songs before you hit play in front of the kids. This ensures you won’t find anything I didn’t or that you’re just not a fan of.
  • ALWAYS use the radio edit. I’ve made notes if you should look for a specific version. But in general, radio edits ensur that you won’t encounter any random curses.
  • Some have underlying meanings that aren’t that lovely. But, honestly, in my opinion kids just like the beat.
  • Early decades are typically cleaner than later decades. So, if you’re super anxious, I would stick to the 90’s genre.

Hip Hop Songs for Kids – clean rap songs playlist

Below you’ll find over 30 clean hip hop songs for kids, varying from recent Drake hits to classic DJ Jazzy Jeff jams. Get ready to have a blast with your kids!

• Toosie Slide – Drake (clean version)
  • Death bed – powfu
  • Take What You Want – Post Malone
  • Old Town Road – Lil Nas X, Billy Ray Cyrus
  • Butterfly Effect – Travis Scott
  • Finesse – Bruno Mars (not the Cardi B. remix)
  • God’s Plan – Drake
  • Magic – B.O.B
  • Young Dumb Broke – Khalid
  • Hotline Bling – Drake
  • Hey Mama – Kanye West
  • Crazy – Cade (says “I’d rather see you naked,” but otherwise clean.)
  • Now or Never – Kendrick Lamar
  • I Can – Nas
  • All We Got – Chance the Rapper
  • Crazy in Love – Beyonce + JayZ
  • Pretty Girl Rock – Keri Hilson (this one is on our Girl Power Songs playlist too!)
  • Opposite of Adults – Chiddy Bang
  • Happy – Pharrell Williams
  • Dynamite – Taio Cruz
  • Glory – Jay – Z
  • Kick, Push – Lupe Fiasco
  • Hold On, We’re Going Home – Drake
  • Survivor – Destiny’s Child
  • Just a Friend -Biz Markie
  • Jump – Kriss Kross
  • Ice, Ice, Baby – Vanilla Ice
  • Stereo Hearts – Gym Class Heroes
  • Good Feeling – Florida
  • How to Love – Lil Wayne
  • I Got a Feeling – Black Eyed Peas
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

I'm not sure if any of these piano songs really meet the brief of 'poundy', but you might find something here:

https://www.supersonicspiano.com/

This composer was my daughter's piano teacher up until Covid hit. 

I have a SuperSonics subscription (it's one of the best deals for piano teachers out there because $100/yr gives you a whole library), so I've already planned some of the rote pieces. 

Believer? My kids like that one. They also said Adele might have some that fit your description.

If it doesn't have to be contemporary, maybe something like Classical Gas? There are arrangements for single instrument. It's not drums and guitar poundy, but it has a lot of beat. 

Maybe some Bon Jovi (Livin' on a Prayer)?

If I google, this list comes up: https://dynamicmusicroom.com/popular-songs-steady-beat/  It has caveats and ratings later in the article, which might be helpful.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Clemsondana said:

My older likes metal and dislikes profanity, so kid has found Christian metal and also Scandinavian metal.  Apparently there is a band that sings about history...educational Scandinavian metal?  Don't know if you can use it for piano, but it seems plenty poundy for me.  🙂  

Another fan of Sabaton on the boards?!?  My kids were introduced to the Winged Hussars by the No Dumb Questions podcast. I don’t think we’ve ventured further into their catalog though. They did just tour through the US recently!

Skillet is a Christian band with a very poundy sound. 

• Like 2

Any chance the Hooked on Classics from the 80’s would work? Some of it would be poundy, I think. I know there’s sheet music still out there. 

1812 Overture

Boléro is very poundy - is it scored for piano, though? This is probably one of my favorite pieces. ETA - Oh, yes it is

Love this: 

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 1