Menu

Easy Peasy Pre-Algebra

Ting Tang

Their math is usually..........fine. A little light, a little underdeveloped, but "fine".

Pre-algebra is a holding pattern year.  It's shoring up all the information from the 4 operations and just going a little deeper with the rules, so it's not one that I'm super critical about.  If nought else, you can always print practice with Arithmetiquities and PreAlgebra With Pizzazz.

• Like 1

I've know people who have used it (the site) successfully but not necessarily the math.  

If you want a free math program that is video based but less jumping to various web sites (like easy peasy) you can try Master Math

https://mastermath.info/

MEP years 7&8 are prealgebra.  Each unit is its own thing, so you can just pick out the topics your child needs to review.  You can do the interactive material if you don't want to print.

https://www.cimt.org.uk/projects/mep/index.htm

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

Their math is usually..........fine. A little light, a little underdeveloped, but "fine".

Pre-algebra is a holding pattern year.  It's shoring up all the information from the 4 operations and just going a little deeper with the rules, so it's not one that I'm super critical about.  If nought else, you can always print practice with Arithmetiquities and PreAlgebra With Pizzazz.

Thank you!  I will check the others out.  

1 hour ago, smfmommy said:

I've know people who have used it (the site) successfully but not necessarily the math.  

If you want a free math program that is video based but less jumping to various web sites (like easy peasy) you can try Master Math

https://mastermath.info/

MEP years 7&8 are prealgebra.  Each unit is its own thing, so you can just pick out the topics your child needs to review.  You can do the interactive material if you don't want to print.

https://www.cimt.org.uk/projects/mep/index.htm

Thanks very much! One thing I read was that it uses some of Master Math. I will take a look at that; for some reason I recall looking at MEP and thinking it was hard to navigate, but I will look again!

1 hour ago, Ting Tang said:

lol  Well, maybe it will change my son's perception that algebra is hard  if it is called "easy peasy?"     

Personally if my child finds Algebra potentially hard I wouldn't direct him to a website where he has to jump all over the place for his lessons. My reasonings would be 1) chances are as he is doing the problems he'd have to continue to look at examples so I would rather have instructions, examples etc. all in one place and easy to find, 2) I would expect that math just isn't revealing itself to him so he'd need a little more hand holding so it'd be helpful for me to have a fully fleshed thing I could easily look at and understand to help, and 3) aside from the name I don't see anything that makes this stand out.

• Like 3

I think instead of searching for the magical unicorn, you should really pick a solidly avg program and just make him do the work.  Math should engage mental faculties.  If it isn't, if the student is just plugging and chugging along without thinking, it isn't even worth the time it takes for them to write down their answers.

You might consider looking at Lials pre-alg/alg text.  The combo book is something like 1300 pages.  I have been using the alg portion for my 7th grader for review, but I am going to use the pre-alg portion next yr with my then 7th grade granddaughter to supplement MUS's alg/geo.  She is a solidly avg math student, so we are just going to take our time moving through materials until she is solid.  Lials provides lots of in text teaching and practice.  (I bought the loose leaf text for something like $16 and my dd is writing in it like a workbook.)  I don't need a solutions manual, so no idea there.  It comes with answers to odds and odds and evens for review/test sections.  YOu can look through it here and then search for a cheap edition.  Prealgebra and Introductory Algebra: Lial, Margaret, Hestwood, Diana, Hornsby, John, McGinnis, Terry: 9780321859228: Amazon.com: Books

Edited by 8filltheheart
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, 8filltheheart said:

I think instead of searching for the magical unicorn, you should really pick a solidly avg program and just make him do the work.  Math should engage mental faculties.  If it isn't, if the student is just plugging and chugging along without thinking, it isn't even worth the time it takes for them to write down their answers.

You might consider looking at Lials pre-alg/alg text.  The combo book is something like 1300 pages.  I have been using the alg portion for my 7th grader for review, but I am going to use the pre-alg portion next yr with my then 7th grade granddaughter to supplement MUS's alg/geo.  She is a solidly avg math student, so we are just going to take our time moving through materials until she is solid.  Lials provides lots of in text teaching and practice.  (I bought the loose leaf text for something like $16 and my dd is writing in it like a workbook.)  I don't need a solutions manual, so no idea there.  It comes with answers to odds and odds and evens for review/test sections.  YOu can look through it here and then search for a cheap edition.  Prealgebra and Introductory Algebra: Lial, Margaret, Hestwood, Diana, Hornsby, John, McGinnis, Terry: 9780321859228: Amazon.com: Books

Thanks very much.  🙂  I was just joking about the name, but if it is not a good program, it's probably not something I want to use.  When we chose Master Books last year, it came recommended from people who were burned out from all the pieces in Abeka.  I just hadn't heard anything about EP here and tried searching!  I will take a closer look at Lial's.  I still think I may need video instruction and outsourcing due to the demands on my time from all the kiddos, but another option is to do that for non-core type classes.  

About Zearn

Have you looked into zearn?  It might be a great addition this year to see where he’s at.  If he can fly through grade 7, he’s definitely ready for prealg.  They are piloting grade 8, should be out this summer.  It’s easy to speed up, free because it’s created by a nonprofit, and totally independent.

C3193FEC-8C3D-4B5C-96B2-2446407FAB59.png

Edited by Lovinglife123
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Farrar said:

The teaching is 90% of success in math and writing, IMHO. Sure, you need a program that will fit the kid, but look and see if YOU think it's the right program for you to teach too.

I have learned I must enjoy the curriculum, too. 😊 I just want to make sure we cover what we must cover and that he’s able to do well in subsequent levels.

9 hours ago, Lovinglife123 said:

I don’t have experience with easy peasy math, I will say I liked their reading for a long time.  Dabbled in other things of theirs.  The best program is the one that gets done.

I will look at zearn! Now Cathy Duffy said EP pre-A should prepare one for algebra 1, but if it’s hard to navigate at that level, we might not like it.  Sigh. 

Personally I don't like all online math which Easy Peasy is going to be just inherently. And as others have mentioned, Easy Peasy tends to be a series of hyperlinks to other web locations where you watch or do something (I'm generalizing, but you know what I mean). For my kids, that would have meant a lot of wasted time.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ting Tang said:

I will look at zearn! Now Cathy Duffy said EP pre-A should prepare one for algebra 1, but if it’s hard to navigate at that level, we might not like it.  Sigh. 

She also gives great reviews to curriculum that I would never consider at all.  All that really matters is what you want out of math curriculum and what your student is capable of achieving.  

Edited by 8filltheheart
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

What has he used for curriculum in elementary? 

He has used multiple ones.  We started with Abeka, which I liked.  However, due to Covid, they got behind on updating subsequent curricula.  I did not like the look of the outdated one after using the updated version.  So then we moved to Master Books. Still fairly new to homeschooling, I had heard good things about it from Abeka people.  They were tired of all the pieces.  Well, I didn't care for that.  So now we are using CLE.  It is "okay."  I feel like it is a success because he's covered everything.  I like the look of it.  However, it introduces new concepts in a very tiny way, and the rest of the lessons are a lot of review.  I am not even sure the organization of what would be considered "new" is great or organized.

15 minutes ago, Ting Tang said:

He has used multiple ones.  We started with Abeka, which I liked.  However, due to Covid, they got behind on updating subsequent curricula.  I did not like the look of the outdated one after using the updated version.  So then we moved to Master Books. Still fairly new to homeschooling, I had heard good things about it from Abeka people.  They were tired of all the pieces.  Well, I didn't care for that.  So now we are using CLE.  It is "okay."  I feel like it is a success because he's covered everything.  I like the look of it.  However, it introduces new concepts in a very tiny way, and the rest of the lessons are a lot of review.  I am not even sure the organization of what would be considered "new" is great or organized.

I hate to tell you this, but switching math curriculums regularly is usually a harbinger of later math problems.  Each curriculum has a different scope and sequence. So when you switch, you may inadvertently miss something that was covered earlier on the "new curriculum." 

Sometimes when we see new to us curriculum it has the appeal of a new fishing lure. This time of year is especially bad because the catalogs come and most of us suffer with a case of the "januaries" or "februaries" or whatever you might call it. It's a self-doubt season to be sure.  Sometimes at this time of year, we need to be reminded that we don't need to fix what is not broken. 

Somewhere on this thread, or at least on this board, it was said that the best curriculum is the one that gets done.

For math, all curricula "tend" to fall into two categories: spiral or mastery.  What you are describing about CLE indicates it is a spiral curriculum. Abeka is spiral.  MasterBooks said theirs is mastery.  The next question you ask is which is better for your kid.  

To be honest, I am not sure what you mean about "new." Truly not much about math has changed in 20 years other than the "new math" methods they are teaching in schools with limited success. As a homeschooler, you are not obligated to teach four methods to solve a problem just to meet the instructional standard. All you have to teach is the one that works best for your kid.  If that is the old school way, no one will know or care.  They will get the same answer when they do their ACT or algebra.  

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Ting Tang said:

\I like the look of it.  However, it introduces new concepts in a very tiny way, and the rest of the lessons are a lot of review.  I am not even sure the organization of what would be considered "new" is great or organized.

I was just starting to post when @cintinative's reply posted.  Yes to everything she stated.  I have never used CLE, but that is how spiral math programs work.  They introduce a new concept and only a few of the day's problems are aligned with that concept and the rest is review.  That is how they build their mastery of concepts.  My kids all used  Horizons for k-6.  It is also spiral (as is Abeka).  SM is mastery.  Having used SM alongside Horizons for one of my kids, I can tell you that they end up pretty much in the exact same spot.  The hows and when they are taught concepts differ but the end place is similar.

It is why I have tried to encourage you to stop changing math programs or looking for the "perfect one."  I can promise you that my kids ended elementary math equally as solid as kids who use SM or even BA.  Why?  Bc I sit there and teach them, talk to them, discuss concepts.  It is every bit as much about the engagement with the teaching as the textbook in front of them.  Passive teaching (computer teaching) is very limited, but for younger kids especially.  There is no back and forth checking their comprehension, delving into the what's they are doing, and making sure they understand the why's.  As I have often told my kids, they are not performing monkeys.  I don't care if they just know "how" to do something.  I care about the what's and the why's as well.

• Like 5

You might also consider beyond PreA. What is your plan for high school level math?

As @cintinative said, skipping around is generally unhelpful. I would consider choosing a PreA book that has an Algebra 1 and 2 in the sequence. Not necessary, but could be helpful in avoiding those scope and sequence gaps.

What are his strengths and weaknesses in math and as a student generally? Are you comfortable teaching PreA? (and math beyond that!) Are you willing to study/prep if you are not?

Is his arithmetic solid? 

Agreeing with pp in being unimpressed with passive/video based math. I would strongly recommend live online classes if you cannot be the primary teacher. And even then, you will need to be actively involved to have it be successful, even with a motivated and diligent student. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cintinative said:

I hate to tell you this, but switching math curriculums regularly is usually a harbinger of later math problems.  Each curriculum has a different scope and sequence. So when you switch, you may inadvertently miss something that was covered earlier on the "new curriculum." 

Sometimes when we see new to us curriculum it has the appeal of a new fishing lure. This time of year is especially bad because the catalogs come and most of us suffer with a case of the "januaries" or "februaries" or whatever you might call it. It's a self-doubt season to be sure.  Sometimes at this time of year, we need to be reminded that we don't need to fix what is not broken. 

Somewhere on this thread, or at least on this board, it was said that the best curriculum is the one that gets done.

For math, all curricula "tend" to fall into two categories: spiral or mastery.  What you are describing about CLE indicates it is a spiral curriculum. Abeka is spiral.  MasterBooks said theirs is mastery.  The next question you ask is which is better for your kid.  

To be honest, I am not sure what you mean about "new." Truly not much about math has changed in 20 years other than the "new math" methods they are teaching in schools with limited success. As a homeschooler, you are not obligated to teach four methods to solve a problem just to meet the instructional standard. All you have to teach is the one that works best for your kid.  If that is the old school way, no one will know or care.  They will get the same answer when they do their ACT or algebra.  

Oh I meant new concepts.  Since he already knows what is being covered, it has been fairly easy for him to complete his work.  My concern is if the guidance in teaching is enough for something that would be very new to him.  

And I know about the switching.  😞  That is my worry.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 8filltheheart said:

I was just starting to post when @cintinative's reply posted.  Yes to everything she stated.  I have never used CLE, but that is how spiral math programs work.  They introduce a new concept and only a few of the day's problems are aligned with that concept and the rest is review.  That is how they build their mastery of concepts.  My kids all used  Horizons for k-6.  It is also spiral (as is Abeka).  SM is mastery.  Having used SM alongside Horizons for one of my kids, I can tell you that they end up pretty much in the exact same spot.  The hows and when they are taught concepts differ but the end place is similar.

It is why I have tried to encourage you to stop changing math programs or looking for the "perfect one."  I can promise you that my kids ended elementary math equally as solid as kids who use SM or even BA.  Why?  Bc I sit there and teach them, talk to them, discuss concepts.  It is every bit as much about the engagement with the teaching as the textbook in front of them.  Passive teaching (computer teaching) is very limited, but for younger kids especially.  There is no back and forth checking their comprehension, delving into the what's they are doing, and making sure they understand the why's.  As I have often told my kids, they are not performing monkeys.  I don't care if they just know "how" to do something.  I care about the what's and the why's as well.

That is a good point.  I figure they all eventually end up in Algebra.  I also wonder if I need some help teaching just due to time.

2 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

You might also consider beyond PreA. What is your plan for high school level math?

As @cintinative said, skipping around is generally unhelpful. I would consider choosing a PreA book that has an Algebra 1 and 2 in the sequence. Not necessary, but could be helpful in avoiding those scope and sequence gaps.

What are his strengths and weaknesses in math and as a student generally? Are you comfortable teaching PreA? (and math beyond that!) Are you willing to study/prep if you are not?

Is his arithmetic solid? 

Agreeing with pp in being unimpressed with passive/video based math. I would strongly recommend live online classes if you cannot be the primary teacher. And even then, you will need to be actively involved to have it be successful, even with a motivated and diligent student. 

I don't have a complete plan yet, but my hope is my children will complete higher level math.  I can probably teach to a certain point with a good curriculum, but another concern is time as I have four children.  That was one reason I was also looking at video curriculums or something he could do online.  

In regards to passive video instruction- I definitely agree, but just FWIW zearn is not passive.  It’s designed to be very interactive.  However, I only use and recommend as a supplement.  You definitely need lots of paper and pencil & parental involvement (at least a little supervision that they aren’t trying to guess out of lessons- they do have in place a short “test” at the end of each lesson to prevent that ).  It does however allow me to be less involved because it helps explain/cement tricky concepts that just weren’t clicking.  (And being spread amongst a ton of children, it is necessary).

from what I understand of CLE is that it is SO incremental and spiral that there often isn’t much difficulty in new topics.  That is the beauty of it.  I used it shortly to fill in a bunch of gaps due to switching curriculum so often with my oldest.  It was really good for that!  He’s comfortably moving through MM now (he has completed 4 and finishing up 5 in MM).

Edited by Lovinglife123
  • Like 2

I have also heard from parents IRL (who have older children or graduated children) it can be easier to keep all the kids on the same curriculum (maybe different levels) because then they (the parents) don't have to learn new methods of teaching all the time. There is also a sort of been there done that with the younger children. Even for me because I use the same stuff for my 2nd that I did my first I can run their lessons concurrently and my younger child's lessons take less of my brain power and time because I've been there done that.

CLE seems to take students up to higher maths. (Maybe not Number Theory, but if you have a child who is going to do Number Theory in high school he'll let you know.) As much as my husband and I are mathy people, we've tutored enough peers to know that it's better to do math at a pace that is comfortable for an individual than to forge ahead toward multi-variable Calculus. All that to say if CLE is working for your son and he's OK with doing it. Then keep going. If you feel like CLE is "too slow" then try and push your son to do more lessons in one day; if he can then you'll reach the end of what CLE teaches before 12 grade and you can find a curriculum to cover the rest before college. If he can't then it's probably the right speed for him. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lovinglife123 said:

In regards to passive video instruction- I definitely agree, but just FWIW zearn is not passive.  It’s designed to be very interactive.  However, I only use and recommend as a supplement.  You definitely need lots of paper and pencil & parental involvement (at least a little supervision that they aren’t trying to guess out of lessons- they do have in place a short “test” at the end of each lesson to prevent that ).  It does however allow me to be less involved because it helps explain/cement tricky concepts that just weren’t clicking.  (And being spread amongst a ton of children, it is necessary).

from what I understand of CLE is that it is SO incremental and spiral that there often isn’t much difficulty in new topics.  That is the beauty of it.  I used it shortly to fill in a bunch of gaps due to switching curriculum so often with my oldest.  It was really good for that!  He’s comfortably moving through MM now (he has completed 4 and finishing up 5 in MM).

Thank you so much for that description of CLE! I will need to still look at Zearn more closely. 

14 minutes ago, Clarita said:

I have also heard from parents IRL (who have older children or graduated children) it can be easier to keep all the kids on the same curriculum (maybe different levels) because then they (the parents) don't have to learn new methods of teaching all the time. There is also a sort of been there done that with the younger children. Even for me because I use the same stuff for my 2nd that I did my first I can run their lessons concurrently and my younger child's lessons take less of my brain power and time because I've been there done that.

CLE seems to take students up to higher maths. (Maybe not Number Theory, but if you have a child who is going to do Number Theory in high school he'll let you know.) As much as my husband and I are mathy people, we've tutored enough peers to know that it's better to do math at a pace that is comfortable for an individual than to forge ahead toward multi-variable Calculus. All that to say if CLE is working for your son and he's OK with doing it. Then keep going. If you feel like CLE is "too slow" then try and push your son to do more lessons in one day; if he can then you'll reach the end of what CLE teaches before 12 grade and you can find a curriculum to cover the rest before college. If he can't then it's probably the right speed for him. 

Thank you! I’m using Singapore for the three others now, so that makes sense. I’ve thought about doubling up on CLE, but there are a lot of problems each day as it is. I hate skipping and crossing out. But maybe he could advance himself if he matures a bit, too. 

My current 6th is using EP on lax days. He only likes that it is easy and random game-style work. His spine is Saxon Alg 1, and he does some Kahn on occasion. 

We used CLE thru 600s and jumped to Saxon. Approach and work load are similar. I am a fan of both.

Is there a reason you can't stay with CLE? What are your HS math plans? Have you considered Kahn? 

• Like 1

Just as a general piece of advice, when people advise picking a math curriculum and sticking with it, that advice does not mean k-12.  Making the swtich for alg is pretty normal.  Not all alg authors have geometry texts, etc.  High school math tends to be a little different.  For example, my kids have used Foerster's alg 1 & 2 textbooks, Alexander/Koeberlein for geometry, Sullivan for pre-cal, etc.  You do have to be aware that some math texts don't follow a standard sequence or cover content at a standard level of complexity.   Some text series like Saxon, otoh, probably should be used all the way through due to the way certain topics are integrated.  

• Like 3

On 1/30/2023 at 8:53 PM, Brittany1116 said:

My current 6th is using EP on lax days. He only likes that it is easy and random game-style work. His spine is Saxon Alg 1, and he does some Kahn on occasion. 

We used CLE thru 600s and jumped to Saxon. Approach and work load are similar. I am a fan of both.

Is there a reason you can't stay with CLE? What are your HS math plans? Have you considered Kahn? 

We like it, except I am concerned about the progression towards algebra taking so long, since pre-a seems to be mixed into both 700 and 800.  This year has been a lot of repetition, which has been good for him to learn to show his work and correct silly mistakes he sometimes makes.  I am not sure what our HS plans are, other than I probably do need to outsource at some point.

On 1/30/2023 at 10:42 PM, 8filltheheart said:

Just as a general piece of advice, when people advise picking a math curriculum and sticking with it, that advice does not mean k-12.  Making the swtich for alg is pretty normal.  Not all alg authors have geometry texts, etc.  High school math tends to be a little different.  For example, my kids have used Foerster's alg 1 & 2 textbooks, Alexander/Koeberlein for geometry, Sullivan for pre-cal, etc.  You do have to be aware that some math texts don't follow a standard sequence or cover content at a standard level of complexity.   Some text series like Saxon, otoh, probably should be used all the way through due to the way certain topics are integrated.  

Thank you so much.  I am learning that some sequences are different from others.  I do not think he has any gaps at this point, but I also do not want to create them.  So a good solid year of pre-A might be good for him, but as long as it is a good curriculum.

Since prealgebra is basically a review of everything before, it's perfectly fine to choose a new program for prealgebra. How much is cost an issue? If it isn't much, you can take a look at thinkwell or Derek owens.

If you want to accelerate through CLE, the only options are to spend more time or do fewer problems when the lessons feel like review and your DC is confident

11 minutes ago, Malam said:

Since prealgebra is basically a review of everything before, it's perfectly fine to choose a new program for prealgebra. How much is cost an issue? If it isn't much, you can take a look at thinkwell or Derek owens.

If you want to accelerate through CLE, the only options are to spend more time or do fewer problems when the lessons feel like review and your DC is confident

I think Derek Owens looks like a great option.  I am going to take a closer look at Thinkwell, too.  I wouldn't mind a cheap, affordable option as long as it was good.  But too much jumping around online might not be great.

7 minutes ago, Malam said:

I think she meant material that CLE was introducing for the first time, as opposed to material that CLE was covering again as spiral review.

yes 🙂

47 minutes ago, cintinative said:

There is usually a discount for Thinkwell on the homeschool buyers club. FYI.  https://www.homeschoolbuyersclub.com/thinkwell-math/thinkwell-8th-grade-math-prealgebra-/

Isn't $159 the standard price? I'm not sure what 5000 smartpoints is worth, though.

Also, Thinkwell has placement tests and cheap ($30) review courses, both of which might be useful for you

Lastly, the honors versions differ not by difficulty of exercises, but by the amount of content.

Thinkwell, Derek Owens, and Videotext are probably the best video-based math providers I've heard of (AoPS notwithstanding)

Edited by Malam
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ting Tang said:

We like it, except I am concerned about the progression towards algebra taking so long, since pre-a seems to be mixed into both 700 and 800.  This year has been a lot of repetition, which has been good for him to learn to show his work and correct silly mistakes he sometimes makes.  I am not sure what our HS plans are, other than I probably do need to outsource at some point.

To move through faster if you choose to do so, you can drop quizzes and do an extra 1-2 pages a day. I have seen several people skip 800s and go into algebra after 700s but I don't know how that panned out. Isn't 800s largely consumer math?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Malam said:

Isn't $159 the standard price? I'm not sure what 5000 smartpoints is worth, though.

Also, Thinkwell has placement tests and cheap ($30) review courses, both of which might be useful for you

Lastly, the honors versions differ not by difficulty of exercises, but by the amount of content.

Thinkwell, Derek Owens, and Videotext are probably the best video-based math providers I've heard of (AoPS notwithstanding)

Oh how I wished he would love AOPS.  I think the pre-a program looks like fun, but I think I was looking at it through my adult eyes, fascinated by the delivery. I am not sure it would work for him.  Most curriculums are getting pricey, so it is just a fact of life for us.  

4 hours ago, Brittany1116 said:

To move through faster if you choose to do so, you can drop quizzes and do an extra 1-2 pages a day. I have seen several people skip 800s and go into algebra after 700s but I don't know how that panned out. Isn't 800s largely consumer math?

I've thought about that, too.  I have heard 800s have a lot of consumer math and perhaps a wee bit of pre-a?  I actually think consumer math would be helpful, too.  I'd prefer it be concurrent perhaps with something else.

If you want a consumer math course, check out CSMLearn. It's a great value for $49.

Is it true that your child is currently in CLE 700? If so, I would finish CLE 700, then complete the CSM Learn course, then complete the Thinkwell 7th grade review course, after which they would hopefully place into prealgebra

Edited by Malam