Menu

Is there an elegant way to filter this email?

regentrude

Gmail address for an organization. Only one person can access email ( even with password,  it's not possible to have multiple people because of 2 factor authorization)

Volunteers are dividing the work to have one person responsible for the email that arrives on one day of the week (in the context of this organization,  that makes sense).

Is there an elegant way to give person A all the email that arrived on Mondays, etc? I couldn't find a filter or forward rule that has weekday as attribute, but maybe I'm not looking in the right place. Filtering by subject or keyword won't work.

I am looking for something that can be automated and does not require one person to parcel out email by hand.

I also don't want to forward the all the emails to each person's separate addresses. 

Edited by regentrude

Does the email account, give the option of one person being 'out of office' on certain dates and have the messages forwarded? It may need to be manually edited each day (ie. remove notice at beginning of day so they get the emails.....then replace notice at end of day).

Edited by Tap

10 hours ago, Tap said:

Does the email account, give the option of one person being 'out of office' on certain dates and have the messages forwarded? It may need to be manually edited each day (ie. remove notice at beginning of day so they get the emails.....then replace notice at end of day).

That doesn't sound labor saving. If they need to do this manually,  they might as well hit forward on all the emails from that day.

5 hours ago, regentrude said:

That doesn't sound labor saving. If they need to do this manually,  they might as well hit forward on all the emails from that day.

Putting in one “out of office” message is probably easier than forwarding them all one by one. 

I am co-chair of an organization that also has a Gmail account and we have managed to get it set up so we can both sign in to the organization's Google account and then access the email associated with the account.We also make heavy use of the shared Google Drive.

It took considerable futzing around with two-factor authentication and recovery emails/password, though.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, JennyD said:

I am co-chair of an organization that also has a Gmail account and we have managed to get it set up so we can both sign in to the organization's Google account and then access the email associated with the account.We also make heavy use of the shared Google Drive.

It took considerable futzing around with two-factor authentication and recovery emails/password, though.

Can you tell me more how you did it? Set up several recovery emails so that there would be a way for each person to confirm the sign-in?

We will be at least three people. It sounds like a pita.

9 minutes ago, Farrar said:

I've done shared email addresses through gmail. You do have to be all on top of it in terms of authentication, but once you're set up, from everything I can see, Google doesn't actually seem to care if multiple people are accessing it.

what exactly does that look like for you?

Just now, regentrude said:

what exactly does that look like for you?

I've only done this with one other person, but I don't see why it wouldn't work with three or even possibly four.

One person is the "real" owner of the account. They have the two-factor authentication on their end. But once everyone has the email set up and logged in on their phone and computer, they don't need to log in again very often. You don't have to have it set for two-factor every time. There are some things that it has to use two-factor authentication for, like maybe new log ins from new devices? But generally speaking, once it's set up, that's it. But then if someone is locked out, the person who is the "real" controller of the account, needs to help them get set back up again and needs to be aware that they have that role.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Farrar said:

I've only done this with one other person, but I don't see why it wouldn't work with three or even possibly four.

One person is the "real" owner of the account. They have the two-factor authentication on their end. But once everyone has the email set up and logged in on their phone and computer, they don't need to log in again very often. You don't have to have it set for two-factor every time. There are some things that it has to use two-factor authentication for, like maybe new log ins from new devices? But generally speaking, once it's set up, that's it. But then if someone is locked out, the person who is the "real" controller of the account, needs to help them get set back up again and needs to be aware that they have that role.

Thanks. Do you have any experience with switching between multiple Google accounts? I can't stay logged in to the account for the organization because I need to log into my work Google account. Does it ask for the 2nd factor once you switch accounts?

2 minutes ago, regentrude said:

Thanks. Do you have any experience with switching between multiple Google accounts? I can't stay logged in to the account for the organization because I need to log into my work Google account. Does it ask for the 2nd factor once you switch accounts?

I'm currently logged into three Google accounts with no problem. I have all three emails open at once - work, school, and personal. If I open a random Google Doc or try to log into something with Gmail, it will default to one of them - in my case, to my personal account. However, all I have to do is swap to another one. No authentication. I'm already logged in. In the case of anything on Drive, it's the icon in the corner (though depending on what I'm doing, it may prompt me by asking if I'm on the right account the moment I click into the document) or by scrolling or choosing another Google account to log in through. As long as it's not a new log in, it lets me switch just fine.

For basic unpaid Google accounts like my personal one, it will just leave you logged in for a pretty long time without any issue. But organizations who are set up using G Suite can change how long it is before you're logged out. My work one with the Google Drive is set not to do that. With my school one, it seems to be about once a month? With my old co-op where I taught that also used G Suite, it logged me out at least once a week. So this is all dependent on how the admin has it set up. With all of those, when I have to log back in, I still don't need two factor. I only need it when I'm on a new device.

YMMV depending on how admin has set up the G Suite. But if this organization and email is one that you're setting up, I don't see why you couldn't set the security to be a bit more lax.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, busymama7 said:

We have multiple people accessing our organization email because once you ok a new device with the two step process you don't have to again. 

So nice... I  constantly have to do 2nd factor for work related email/software/Zoom... it's a pita

Edited by regentrude

6 hours ago, regentrude said:

I switch between work and person gmail on my phone all day.  On my laptop that I use for work I have my personal email in a incognito window, and switch back and forth.  I sometimes, maybe 1 in 10 times, get two factor if I close that window and open a new one, but since i'm logged in my phone I can just approve it there.  If I don't close the window, I never get two factor.  

6 hours ago, regentrude said:

I was having a lot of trouble switching between gmail accounts. It was just a PITA. I would log into one, go about my business reading emails and opening various Google docs...then I would log into another, and all the Google docs I had open would crash because "my account" no longer had permissions to view them. Ugh.

So, I completely segregated Google accounts by internet browser. My personal account is always open in Chrome. My kids' personal accounts are always open in Firefox. My kids' school accounts are always open in Edge. Problem solved. I can have multiple open at the same time, and switch between them seamlessly without logging in or out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, regentrude said:

So nice... I  constantly have to do 2nd factor for work related email/software/Zoom... it's a pita

My experience is that universities have the strictest digital security of any type of organization. I mean, probably the FBI is stricter (let's hope) but beyond that, a random user at a large university seems to deal with the most annoying online security. A friend who is a professor was telling me that she has to change her password once a month (or maybe it was once per quarter? It was several times a year). And the new one has to have everything under the sun, can't have any real words in any language and not have any three characters repeat from any other. Sometimes she has to put in several different random strings before she hits one that has no sets of three characters that she's never ever used in the past. My kid's university logged him out so often that he lost his work on multiple occasions as he was trying to turn things in. It would lock him out of everything in the middle of him using Canvas. Once, it locked him out suddenly while he was taking a quiz. There was no way to retake. Luckily it wasn't worth much, but what if it had been? But you're just logged out every hour automatically or something. It's bonkers.

I can be logged into multiple google accounts simultaneously on chrome. I open the browser twice, so they are in different windows, not just different tabs. 

Also, for our organization, at the first board meeting each year, we have everyone bring their devices and do the two factor authentication at the meeting so everyone is situated. From time to time we have to redo if someone gets a new device, but it’s really not that big of deal.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Caroline said:

I can be logged into multiple google accounts simultaneously on chrome. I open the browser twice, so they are in different windows, not just different tabs. 

This is what I do, too.  But this: 

22 hours ago, wendyroo said:

So, I completely segregated Google accounts by internet browser. My personal account is always open in Chrome. My kids' personal accounts are always open in Firefox. My kids' school accounts are always open in Edge. Problem solved. I can have multiple open at the same time, and switch between them seamlessly without logging in or out.

is a better idea!

Agreeing with everyone else that once you get past the initial authentication generally you stay logged in.  After considerable effort I managed to switch the relevant recovery email to my phone, and then I just helped my co-chair get logged in over zoom.  

9 hours ago, Farrar said:

My experience is that universities have the strictest digital security of any type of organization. I mean, probably the FBI is stricter (let's hope) but beyond that, a random user at a large university seems to deal with the most annoying online security.

So much this.  I teach at a university and constantly have to do two-factor authentication just to log in to my own course website.  And we have to change our passwords every 6 months.  So, of course, most people write them down.  One of my colleagues has her current password on a sticky note on her computer.  

43 minutes ago, JennyD said:

So much this.  I teach at a university and constantly have to do two-factor authentication just to log in to my own course website.  And we have to change our passwords every 6 months.  So, of course, most people write them down.  One of my colleagues has her current password on a sticky note on her computer.  

It's the Neville Longbottom password problem. Or the Sir Cadogan password problem? Anyway, you get the idea. Eventually, too much security leads to more lax security.