Menu

how annoying (minor vent)

ktgrok

DS23 got pulled over for an expired tag. Yes, he needs to renew it. Police officer gave him a warning. That's all fine, and nice of the officer not to write a ticket. BUT, when DS was getting out his wallet he told the officer he had a pocket knife in his pocket, and asked if he should put it in the back seat or anything. He didn't need to mention it, it's totally legal, but wanted to be extra cautious and mention it. Officer asked to hold onto it until they were done. Then, unknown to DS, he set it on top of DS's car. He never gave it back. DS thought the officer kept it, by accident, and so pulled back onto the road to follow officer or go to station to request they return it. Except it was on the top of his car, and fell off and got run over. It's a $150 knife that was a gift from us to him. He's super upset in that ASD emotional but trying not to be way. 

I'm sure it was an accident on the officer's part, to not give it back - but that doesn't help replace the expensive item! But I mean, complaining to the police seems like a bad idea. UGH. That knife is one of DS23's favorite possessions. He is always so proud to be able to help someone open something, etc, with it, keeps it very clean and sharp, etc. 

And now he's saying he should never have been so nice and told the cop about it, etc. Which isn't really a good lesson either. Sigh. 

• Sad 21

I suppose you could complain but especially after letting your son off with a warning I’m not sure they’d do anything but be annoyed.

I accidentally leave stuff on top of my car all the time. I’ve lost a few phones, a lot of coffee, and one casserole that way. I doubt it was malicious at all.  

In the future I probably would advise him that he doesn’t need to say anything about a knife, unless it’s large and visible, like a hunting knife sitting on the front seat. When DH gets pulled over they usually ask if he has any weapons on him as his concealed carry card is pretty visible in his wallet but they’ve never asked about a knife, especially a pocket knife.

Truthfully as the mom of an ASD child, I would buy another and consider it a lesson learned. I honestly don’t know if that’s the right approach or not; I just know my ASD child would perseverate on it forever and it’s easier to replace it.

Edited by Mrs Tiggywinkle Again
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Katy said:

I would complain and ask for an apology. Probably in writing.

That is a ridiculous, over the top request for a MISTAKE

The officer already showed what a nice guy he is by only giving the warning. 

The only thing that needs to happen NOW is to renew the expired tag

• Like 3

That is a super frustrating situation but I cannot imagine trying to hold the police officer responsible or demand an apology. 

It super stinks! It’s just one of those things that just *is* though. Life is full of them but they still stink. It’s one of those things where you just wish you could push rewind and go back a minute and fix everything. 

• Like 5

Oh, that stinks! My ASD kid would be kicking himself, and he would be doubly mad that the officer was careless.

That said, I don't think complaining would be helpful. I think officers likely have EF issues like everyone else. 

A former co-worker of DH's had a lawful weapon confiscated by police during a routine stop, and she couldn't get it back even in court. She did everything she was supposed to, and the officer either exploited it or made a rash decision and didn't want to lose face and back down.

• Like 2

I wouldn't do anything about it either.  Your son forgot it too, ideally he would have said something  and the officer likely just set it up there and immediately forgot about it.  It was a mistake on both of their parts.  And it would have been fine just to leave it in his pocket too.  He's lucky he wasn't hit with a fine on the tabs.  But it does stink.  

• Like 4